• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamers: What do you think about my "rebuild"?

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I bought a new case for my rather old build, because I wanted something that would look awesome.

My older case is an NZXT H440; I had been using it since 2016 and it's still in great condition, but it's rather drab.

My new case is the Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG, and I absolutely love it; one of its side panels and its front panel are comprised of tempered glass, which provides a very clear look at the build. I bought six 120mm blue-RGB fans by Cooler Master and installed them today, and the final result is pretty neat (in my opinion).

What do you guys and gals think?

Pictures:

hqtkhV0.jpg

sQcPZHY.jpg

Here is a picture of my build in my older case, the NZXT H440.

GNOnN0S.png

By the way, here are my specifications:

1. i7-5820k
2. Asus X99 Deluxe
3. 8 x 4GB Crucial 2400Mhz DDR4 RAM
4. EVGA GTX 1080 Ti
5. Samsung EVO 500GB SATA SSD
6. Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD
7. Western Digital Blue 6TB and 4TB HDD
8. NZXT H440 Mid-Sized Tower.

EDIT:

Here's a screen-capture of the temperature of the CPU and other information about my PC.

zPGc9Ks.jpg

UPDATE:

I added three more fans at the bottom (they're ARGB rather than single-color RGB) and I swapped my Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo with a Cooler Master MasterAir MA620M.

Taken with a flash

cakefZX.jpg

Taken without a flash

fMTDa7F.jpg

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Fellow Asus X-99 DX/i7-5820K/blue lights PC gamer. You might want to invest in a sag bracket for the GPU.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Thanks.

Anyhow, I've never had an issue with my graphics card sagging. However, the case and the motherboard came with some mounting brackets. Speaking of the motherboard, it came with so many additional peripherals that I never thought I'd use until today, such as the external fan extension, which has enabled me to inconspicuously connect three of the fans to the motherboard via the extension, which is behind the rear panel. The other peripherals include an extension for USB 3.1 ports, a sound card, an an extension for an NVME SSD.

By the way, when do you plan on upgrading your CPU and motherboard?

Last edited:

Chromata

Nice cable management and interesting side intake. I wonder how the temperatures fare comparing side intake fans vs front intake fans.

Looks very sleek overall.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
A fellow aquarium lover! Couldn't justify the price bump for the XL myself.

I was going to get the mid-sized version but determined that it's smaller than my older case, and the last thing that I wanted was a smaller case. The XL is just as tall and long as my older case but is a little wider, which I don't mind because that extra width allows the SSD, hard drives, and power supply to be hidden between the chassis and the rear panel.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Nice cable management and interesting side intake. I wonder how the temperatures fare comparing side intake fans vs front intake fans.

Looks very sleek overall.

Well, the front panel of this case does not accommodate fans or any other devices; it's solely for viewing the inside of the computer. So, there's no way for me satisfy your curiosity in that regard. Anyhow, I plan on getting two 240mm fans for the bottom and I guess that's it.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Here's a screen-capture of the temperature of the CPU and other information about my PC.

zPGc9Ks.jpg

Last edited:
Good choice, this case is so good it's become the new cookie cutter case for instagram battlestation fashion victims. Doesn't change the fact it's a great case. Eventually gonna get myself one, too.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Good choice, this case is so good it's become the new cookie cutter case for instagram battlestation fashion victims. Doesn't change the fact it's a great case. Eventually gonna get myself one, too.
People recommended Lian Li cases to me years ago, but I shrugged them off because the cases are bare compared to those of other brands; they don't even come with fans. However, they're worth it due to their aesthetics and functionality.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I added three more fans at the bottom (they're ARGB rather than single-color RGB) and I swapped my Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo with a Cooler Master MasterAir MA620M.

Taken with a flash

cakefZX.jpg

Taken without a flash

fMTDa7F.jpg

INC

For my taste, I hate lights everywhere

As soon as I see rgb everywhere, I just think it looks like something of wish.com

My pc has 1 light inside, and thats it.

Everyone is different

Makes me laugh when I see people spent extra money to have rgb ram ffs lol

BluRayHiDef

Banned
For my taste, I hate lights everywhere

As soon as I see rgb everywhere, I just think it looks like something of wish.com

My pc has 1 light inside, and thats it.

Everyone is different

Makes me laugh when I see people spent extra money to have rgb ram ffs lol

To each their own. Because I built my PC rather than buy it pre-built, I'd like to take advantage of the fact that it's a customized machine by customizing its aesthetics.

INC

To each their own. Because I built my PC rather than buy it pre-built, I'd like to take advantage of the fact that it's a customized machine by customizing its aesthetics.

Of course, please carry on, my comments are in on way trying to belittle you or your taste.

I'd rather just a cold black box, to fit my soul....... ;)

Last edited:

GHG

Love it BluRayHiDef BluRayHiDef

Perfect case if you ever want to dabble in water cooling as well, gives you a lot of flexibility.

You might want to turn over the fans at the bottom though, they are pulling air out of your case and you want them to be pushing air in. All of your fans are outtake at the moment. Turn the 3 of them over and you will have much better airflow and temps.

If you want so fans that still look sexy even when reversed and acting as intake fans then look at the deepcool MF120 GT fans.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I bought a new case for my rather old build, because I wanted something that would look awesome.

My older case is an NZXT H440; I had been using it since 2016 and it's still in great condition, but it's rather drab.

My new case is the Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG, and I absolutely love it; one of its side panels and its front panel are comprised of tempered glass, which provides a very clear look at the build. I bought six 120mm blue-RGB fans by Cooler Master and installed them today, and the final result is pretty neat (in my opinion).

What do you guys and gals think?

Pictures:

hqtkhV0.jpg

sQcPZHY.jpg

Here is a picture of my build in my older case, the NZXT H440.

GNOnN0S.png

By the way, here are my specifications:

1. i7-5820k
2. Asus X99 Deluxe
3. 8 x 4GB Crucial 2400Mhz DDR4 RAM
4. EVGA GTX 1080 Ti
5. Samsung EVO 500GB SATA SSD
6. Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD
7. Western Digital Blue 6TB and 4TB HDD
8. NZXT H440 Mid-Sized Tower.

EDIT:

zPGc9Ks.jpg

UPDATE:

Taken with a flash

cakefZX.jpg

Taken without a flash

fMTDa7F.jpg
This was 1000X better than throwing a 3090 that would end up gimped by that "ancient" motherboard and CPU.

I've done this and getting a new case can satisfy that "I want to upgrade, but not ready" bug in a big way.

The only downside is that cases are one of the hardest things to sell and are often left stuck with it.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
This was 1000X better than throwing a 3090 that would end up gimped by that "ancient" motherboard and CPU.

I've done this and getting a new case can satisfy that "I want to upgrade, but not ready" bug in a big way.

The only downside is that cases are one of the hardest things to sell and are often left stuck with it.

I still intend to get the 3090.

supernova8

Banned
Looks great! I have RGB on my Ryzen heatsink/fan but ended up turning it off. Often have my PC running overnight and the light pisses me off (I live in a tiny shoebox apartment unfortunately).

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Enjoy the gimped performance.

Assuming that my CPU is fast enough to deliver data to a 3090 at a rate that enables the 3090 to render games at a minimum of 60 frames per second at 4K, how could the performance be said to be gimped? What if I were to drop the output resolution of a game to 1440p, which is the maximum resolution at which my TCL 55R635 can display content at 120Hz, and my CPU is then able to get the 3090 to render games at 120 frames per second? Consider that I'd be using maximum graphical settings in these scenarios.

Thaedolus

Enjoy the gimped performance.

...wut?

looks good OP. Maybe a bit bright for me but I’m thinking on my next rebuild I’ll have the RGB fans to help provide some ambient lighting in my office, the LEDs I put in the ceiling are too bright and I don’t want to bother getting specific dimmers for them.

Looks great but if you are going to buy Ampere consider swapping cpu too - the one you have would be even behind Ryzen 3600 today.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Looks great but if you are going to buy Ampere consider swapping cpu too - the one you have would be even behind Ryzen 3600 today.

If I experience any real-world bottlenecks, I'll upgrade sooner than I plan to (when DDR5 is released), or I'll just upgrade when the Ryzen 4000 Series is released if it's mindblowingly impressive in terms of performance or number of cores (20 cores?).

GHG

Anyone jumped on the crazy of vertical gpu mounts...........

Considering doing it when I get a 3080. Depends on if I can find a decent pcie 4.0 riser or not.

Havent seen a case with side intakes for a long time, that's interesting.

Those are set up as exhaust. If you have a case with fan mounts in that location it's better to have them as exhaust rather than intake because if not they will be trying to pull air in through a double panel on the back of your case - not ideal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom