• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think about character creators?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
horseshoe mustache? check
afro? check.

My every character creator for past forever
yi7rmLS.jpeg

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I hate them. I’d rather use a character model that’s been fine tuned. I’m not looking to be creative when playing a game.

WitchHunter

Banned
As for me, I mildly dislike most character creators as there are a ridiculous amount of sliders, most/all of the sliders are just there to alter aesthetics and it feels tedious spending a lot of time adjusting everything. I would rather my character look as natural as possible to increase immersion as well. I would prefer for the developer to create a preset character whose appearance, voice, etc fit the role that they will play in the story than create one myself. I only appreciate it if it's very simple aesthetic customisation(just hair colour, eye colour, height, weight for example) and you can externally customise your stats/build to an extent, like the creator in Fire Emblem Awakening.
Yes. Give me a cromagnon like character and that's all. AI will come in handy here, for example you can alter you char's voice the way you want.

MAtgS

In wrestling games I have created whole a whole entire roster of characters before. Men/Women, faces/heels, main eventers/midcarders/jobbers, singles stars/tag teams/stables, refs/announcers/managers, the whole gambit.

Really sucked when that glitch happened in No Mercy.

Jakk

I don't really like them in singleplayer games. I very much prefer having a pre-existing protagonist. However, I don't mind customization options in stuff like clothing.

Gojiira

If all you like is a ‘simple’ creator then might as well not even have one…Changing hairstyles or colour or just a preset face is the most pointless type.
A full creator like Black Desert,Elden Ring,Dragons Dogma 2’s (looks fantastic) that let you fully customise your character make all the difference in RPG’s. My gripe is they never really go far enough, usually no piercings or limited makeup/tattoo options and the same bog standard game hair styles. Want more…

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I can only relate if I see a character that looks exactly like me. That is all I need large bearded white guy.

Zathalus

Great, but it should good with good presets for those that don't want to bother.

Can't imagine playing BG3 without one.

The more customizable ones I usually don't utilize, I either stick with presets or just change between some simple options. The ones where you can change length between eyebrows and shit like that does nothing for me - I'm no good at creating anything that doesn't look like a monster.

El Muerto

I think they're fine in 3rd person games. Absolutely useless in offline 1st person shooters. I've spent hours and hours creating custom characters in the old Smackdown games and nothing has came close.

Top Bottom