• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patapon Remastered |OT|

My only complaint so far (after only playing the first hunting mission) is that the music and sound effects sound very compressed. Everything sounded clearer in the PSP version. Though I admit it might be my memory that's fuzzy.

I don't know how to play the game with this input lag. : /

I can't even get off the intro screen where they want you to just hit O

Damn, that sucks. Is your TV set to "game mode"? If there isn't such a mode, try to disable every post-processing parameter of your TV.

My only complaint so far (after only playing the first hunting mission) is that the music and sound effects sound very compressed. Everything sounded clearer in the PSP version. Though I admit it might be my memory that's fuzzy.

Damn, that sucks. Is your TV set to "game mode"? If there isn't such a mode, try to disable every post-processing parameter of your TV.

Okay...so I wasn't in game mode...so that's a start.

What are "post processing parameters"? Sorry (I'm a bit dim)

Heel

Latency seems fine for me so far, but my TV has pretty good latency. Samsung KS8000.

For a point of comparison, PaRappa Remastered latency was incomprehensible for me on the same TV.

Okay...so I wasn't in game mode...so that's a start.

What are "post processing parameters"? Sorry (I'm a bit dim)

If you activated "game mode" then these post-processing options should be automatically disabled, as that's what "game mode" does. These options are things like "cinemotion", "motion blur", and other stuff that affects how the image is displayed.

Multiple reviews saying input lag means hard pass and fuck you Sony

Unless DF comes out and says otherwise I'm not even gonna get it on sale. Input lag in this kind of game... LOL

ThisOne

How does fever mode work? Every time I get in Fever mode, it sounds like the beat changes for a second and I can't ever keep it going.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Loved this game back in the day on PSP. Can't wait to play this!!!

Nasbin

Maybe the input lag reported has something to do with playing it in 4k? Are the people reporting no input lag on pros or base PS4s?

Heel

Maybe the input lag reported has something to do with playing it in 4k? Are the people reporting no input lag on pros or base PS4s?

I'm playing in 4k on PS4 Pro and it seems fine. Never played the original and haven't played very long, though, so maybe my opinion will change.

BooJoh

How does fever mode work? Every time I get in Fever mode, it sounds like the beat changes for a second and I can't ever keep it going.

The beat doesn't change, just the change in sound as it starts can easily throw your rhythm. Just do your best to keep at the rhythm you already had to maintain Fever.

Mephala

Its out?

FEVEEEER
Hdqi0qm.gif

ThisOne

The beat doesn't change, just the change in sound as it starts can easily throw your rhythm. Just do your best to keep at the rhythm you already had to maintain Fever.
Having a hard time with it. Not sure if input lag is to blame or if I just suck.

Neith

Banned

How compressed are we talking about here? The original is like 140MB lol. It is sad they would not up the audio quality, but they possibly did.

Download says 676MB. I highly doubt the music is more compressed.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Nay a jankier port hath I ever seen.

Opening cutscene is literally just taken from PSP which is understandable but jarring after coming from N.Sane trilogy that not only redid every cutscene but massively improved some of them. Sound also hasn't been touched it appears. But most importantly is that the game's UI actually takes NO account for possible overscan - which I have - and does not even take overscan settings from PS4 itself (I actually can't even name a game that does). So healthbars, text below and PRESS ANY BUTTON are all dangerously close to getting cropped by the edge of the screen - or are cropped. Also some animations had questionable framerate in the original and this isn't fixed while being far more noticeable here. What did they even work on with this port for so long?

Haven't noticed any input lag but calibration really wouldn't have been amiss given that unlike with PSP, there could possibly be all sorts of screens this game is output to.

melkier33

I was wondering if there was input lag myself but turns out I just sucked. Put on a headset and it's smooth sailing. Only complaint is the low quality intro rip. Other then that seems to be all good so far.

Nay a jankier port hath I ever seen.

Opening cutscene is literally just taken from PSP which is understandable but jarring after coming from N.Sane trilogy that not only redid every cutscene but massively improved some of them. Sound also hasn't been touched it appears. But most importantly is that the game's UI actually takes NO account for possible overscan - which I have - and does not even take overscan settings from PS4 itself (I actually can't even name a game that does). So healthbars, text below and PRESS ANY BUTTON are all dangerously close to getting cropped by the edge of the screen - or are cropped. Also some animations had questionable framerate in the original and this isn't fixed while being far more noticeable here. What did they even work on with this port for so long?

Locoroco Remastered had some similar issues. Some of the text hadn't been redesigned, and was clearly just a leftover from the PSP conversion and yeah, some assets clearly hadn't been touched but they seemed like an oversight. Aside from that, it was pretty damn polished.

Would be surprised if there wasn't a patch to reduce any input lag people are seeing.

Mdk7

This is really odd since we saw none of these issues (beside it being similar to the original game in terms of any perceived input lag), and both Josh and I actually have Panasonic VT50's as well. I don't mean to insult you, but were you using Game Mode on your plasma?

Of course I was, yup.
I took my PS4 with me in the office today, I want to try it on a monitor.
That said, on my TV at home the game is a laggy, completely unplayable mess.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So, I never played this game. It does seem to have a certain charm and looks fun to play. I'm just wondering what keeps the game interesting for 15-25hours. I thought this game would be on the shorter side. Still, I'm curious to try it.

Did you guys feel the game was too long or did it keep your interest all the way through ?
Been years since I played it but iirc it has rpg elements and a basic story, game is really grindy though and makes you backtrack several times in order to proceed which ruins the pacing imo. I remember having a really rough time finishing it cause of all the backtracking and how hard it was to nail the beat.

The sequel on the other hand is one my all time favorite games. They expanded on the rpg elements, added more bosses, made it easier to stay on beat, and the introduction of hero pon made the backtracking bearable. I hope this port sells enough for them to release the sequel, cause I've been waiting for that hd port since it first came out on PSP.

Played a little this morning. Admittedly, I never played the PSP/Vita version, but I didn't detect any lag on my setup and it seemed that every time I lost combo, it was because I stuttered or mishit the notes. Using an older Samsung LCD that doesn't even have a game mode. As a side note, the Parappa The Rapper lag was instantly noticeable on the demo. For what it's worth. I do wonder why some have horrible lag and for some, it's imperceptible.

alt27

I tried it out today (first time playing ever) and at first I couldnt get past the intro mission and was basically shouting about input lag etc. However after a while I realised I was completelty off rhythm, I finally started hitting the combos etc.

Putting on a headset helped by way (Im playing on a non game mode plasma tv), and even after a while I could take the headset off as I had learned the beats and music more.

Practice makes perfect!

Karsha

I never got past that dessert stage when you have to utilize Fever :/ I might be bad at the game but somehow I could never get the rythem there

Neith

Banned
I just did the first two stages. I'm not feeling any huge input problems so far. Game is really cool. Never played it.

Mdk7

I never got past that dessert stage when you have to utilize Fever :/ I might be bad at the game but somehow I could never get the rythem there
That's the stage that prevented me from continuing my adventure too (even if I was never having any fun to begin with, due to lag): it's just impossible to build up a second fever in such a low time under those conditions.

SephiZack

I played the game for a bit and I honestly had 0 issues.

Didn't feel any input lag at all and made no mistakes, I don't know if it's related but I studied music at school and I am usually comfortable with rythm games.

The only thing I noticed is that the first tutorial cutscene is apparently not remastered (PSP graphical quality). I will have to play more but the game is perfect for me.

I wonder if the reviews saying the game has bad input lag are actually having problems with TV or maybe they just have a bad rythm

Mdk7

So, I gave the game another try: took my PS4 at the office and hooked it to a Samsunk 4k monitor.
Nothing changed, still absolutely as laggy as before.
An ex-colleague of mine, who is experiencing the same problems as me, apparently solved them by hooking the console to a monitor and also using a capture card (the ones used for recording/streaming purpose).
Absolutely fucking weird and simply baffling, but still this game is a total mess and Sony should have included a calibration option to make it playable like every other title.

Mdk7

Didn't feel any input lag at all and made no mistakes, I don't know if it's related but I studied music at school and I am usually comfortable with rythm games.

The only thing I noticed is that the first tutorial cutscene is apparently not remastered (PSP graphical quality). I will have to play more but the game is perfect for me.

I wonder if the reviews saying the game has bad input lag are actually having problems with TV or maybe they just have a bad rythm

hmm... no?
I beat the first two games on PSP when they came out, Patapon is truly among my favorite games ever.
Plus, if I can play it on PSP/PSVita right now without a single problem, keeping the fever up and hitting the perfect notes.
That fucking desert stage on PS4 is impossible to beat for me, yet I breezed through it without skipping a beat on my first try on Vita, three days ago.

Soar

No input lag here, played the old versions, currently hooked up to a 4K monitor. No issues to be honest. Bloody addictive.

*Splinter

So all the reports of bad input lag are coming from literally one person?

There was two mentions on the first page, but I just realised they are both the same source. The entire second page is then people put off by report"s" of input lag...

If this stops Patapon 2 from happening... :/

grumble

Played a little this morning. Admittedly, I never played the PSP/Vita version, but I didn't detect any lag on my setup and it seemed that every time I lost combo, it was because I stuttered or mishit the notes. Using an older Samsung LCD that doesn't even have a game mode. As a side note, the Parappa The Rapper lag was instantly noticeable on the demo. For what it's worth. I do wonder why some have horrible lag and for some, it's imperceptible.

I'd guess partly it is sensitivity to it - some people can't mentally adjust to even a small amount of input lag. Also, a lot of it would be the TV - putting it on game mode will help a lot. Last, some people aren't good at the game and use input lag as an excuse.

There was two mentions on the first page, but I just realised they are both the same source. The entire second page is then people put off by report"s" of input lag...

There are two independent reviews noting the same issue. And this was a known issue with the Parappa The Rapper Remastered. So I don't doubt there is something out there, but maybe it is specific to certain setups or something? That said, I haven't made it to this desert level so maybe something about it makes the lag apparent.

I'd kind of rather they just make a new Patapon.

Also, this is like a three page thread. Some commotion here on GAF won't be the cause of this game selling poorly if it does.

*Splinter

There are two independent reviews noting the same issue. And this was a known issue with the Parappa The Rapper Remastered. So I don't doubt there is something out there, but maybe it is specific to certain setups or something? That said, I haven't made it to this desert level so maybe something about it makes the lag apparent.
You're right, but now I see BOTH the negative reviews are Italian outlets... Is it possible this issue only affects certain regions? Wrong version of the game uploaded to EU psn?

But there's also an Italian review with a positive score... I don't know

Also, this is like a three page thread. Some commotion here on GAF won't be the cause of this game selling poorly if it does.
I know that, I was more concerned that this thread is representative of the games reception in general. I don't think the audience for this kind of game is huge to begin with, and it's currently sitting at 66 on metacritic.

SephiZack

You're right, but now I see BOTH the negative reviews are Italian outlets... Is it possible this issue only affects certain regions? Wrong version of the game uploaded to EU psn?

But there's also an Italian review with a positive score... I don't know

I know that, I was more concerned that this thread is representative of the games reception in general. I don't think the audience for this kind of game is huge to begin with, and it's currently sitting at 66 on metacritic.

I bought the digital version from the Italian PSN store and have no issues.

I also played the original games on PSP and it feels the same to me

hmm... no?
I beat the first two games on PSP when they came out, Patapon is truly among my favorite games ever.
Plus, if I can play it on PSP/PSVita right now without a single problem, keeping the fever up and hitting the perfect notes.
That fucking desert stage on PS4 is impossible to beat for me, yet I breezed through it without skipping a beat on my first try on Vita, three days ago.

There was a person earlier that thought they had input lag problems and later discovered they were off rhythm. It's definitely a possibility, I wasn't referring to you in particular

yamo

Would help if people post what region (EU/NA etc), system(pro/base PS4) and TV they use when reporting lag/no lag.
Maybe that can help us come to a conclusion what seem to cause the lag for people.

Ravelle

I need some help with the fighting part.

I can't finish the first hunting the elephants mission, marching goes fine until I get to the elephant guys and then the pons start to yell attack and march at the same time in their speech bubbles and when I command them to attack it always says I messed up, even when I command them after their chant.

I don't really know when I'm suppose to attack with pon pon pata pon.

I'm not noticing any input lag like a bunch of people are reporting. (PAL and playing it on a Sony Bravia)

JoeNut

Lol..really, this is your actual thoughts?

NA, standard PS4, Samsung KS8000, game mode on.

No input lag.

Intro sequence is really blurry and blatantly straight from the PSP game. Audio quality is completely ass throughout the whole game. This is a pretty damn disappointing "remaster". This is what I would expect out of an emulator, not a full $15 game. It's surprising that this didn't include the other two games, because it doesn't look like any work was put into this.

You can't just release a rhythm game with shit audio like this.

The UI also looks blown out. It's not blurry or anything, but everything's massive and really close up. It feels too much like the PSP version, in that it made sense for a handheld device with a small screen, but not a TV.

Lol..really, this is your actual thoughts?
What?

Top Bottom