• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patapon Remastered |OT|

KodaRuss

I loved this game on PSP. Cant wait to jump back in. I am going to let my wife give it a try as well. She will either love it or hate it

Nice Job OP!

WillySJ3

Banned
Feveeeeerrr!!!!!

I'll test it myself later tonight, there must be some exaggerated claims about the game input lag.

KodaRuss

If there are massive problems with input lag we need to get on Sony to get it fixed. This game is too special for this to be DoA.

Reaching and maintaining fever on the PSP was really if you had the slightest sense of rhythmic ability. I used to stay in fever mode throughout the entire levels in both one and two

If input lag interferes with this, the whole game is fucked

Zakkath

So, I never played this game. It does seem to have a certain charm and looks fun to play. I'm just wondering what keeps the game interesting for 15-25hours. I thought this game would be on the shorter side. Still, I'm curious to try it.

Did you guys feel the game was too long or did it keep your interest all the way through ?

BigEmil

Great OT! I always love the Patapon quotes with those monsters that try to look menacing but still cute lol

Fisty

Meh input lag or not, still gotta feel the fever. I hovered over the preload for like 30 minutes drowning in nostalgia from the music. It's been too long.

Fisty

wait guys... wait...

hold up. Let me do this real quick...

More like SHAT UPON!

:)

um4hGwBT7aQkpIZ01Dw1_c2.gif

I'm a huge fan of the series (even wrote guides) but I'll prolly pass up on this.

There really isn't any reason to get 1 if 2 is on the way. Patapon 2 is like what Left 4 Dead 2 is to Left 4 Dead 1. 2 has pretty much every mission from 1. 2 is also heaps better thanks to the single hero system and the evolution tree. It also brought QoL improvements like no permadeath. Maybe it changed in the Remaster, I don't know.

So, I never played this game. It does seem to have a certain charm and looks fun to play. I'm just wondering what keeps the game interesting for 15-25hours. I thought this game would be on the shorter side. Still, I'm curious to try it.

Did you guys feel the game was too long or did it keep your interest all the way through ?

They're all just right. The estimates on OP are accurate. The games never feel like they overstay their welcome. The first game can be maxed out fairly quickly. In 2, there's an entirely optional content allowing you to powerlevel to your heart's content. I've probably spent around 150 hours on the second game, not counting replays.

grumble

I'm a huge fan of the series (even wrote guides) but I'll prolly pass up on this.

There really isn't any reason to get 1 if 2 is on the way. Patapon 2 is like what Left 4 Dead 2 is to Left 4 Dead 1. 2 has pretty much every mission from 1. 2 is also heaps better thanks to the single hero system and the evolution tree. It also brought QoL improvements like no permadeath. Maybe it changed in the Remaster, I don't know.

They're all just right. The estimates on OP are accurate. The games never feel like they overstay their welcome. The first game can be maxed out fairly quickly. In 2, there's an entirely optional content allowing you to powerlevel to your heart's content. I've probably spent around 150 hours on the second game, not counting replays.

Patapon 2 isn't a guarantee until it launches... and it isn't launching tomorrow! I can't wait that long to get my fever on

How is it that Greg Miller was able to platinum this title already?? Lag can't be THAT bad? Can it?

Only $12. I really want to try this :(

Keym

How is it that Greg Miller was able to platinum this title already?? Lag can't be THAT bad? Can it?

Only $12. I really want to try this :(

I really doubt it. Worst case scenario, if it really is that bad, people will ask for a patch non-stop.

black070

I'm really tempted to pick it up on a whim, but will hold off until the morning to see if theres any impressions on the supposed input lag.

I'm really tempted to pick it up on a whim, but will hold off until the morning to see if theres any impressions on the supposed input lag.
I bought it. I'm weak.

And Greg from kindafunny said he had no problem with lag. So I think I'll manage. I'm not saying there won't be any, but at least it won't be unplayable.

dracula_x

it seems ok to me, I would say playable.

the only issue – ◯ ✕ ⃞ △ buttons on DualShock 4 – they feel "sticky". So, it feels much more comfortable and satisfying to press the same buttons on DualShock 3/Vita/PSP, rather than on DS4. But I use first revision of DS4, so I don't know - maybe in DS4 2.0 that issue is already fixed.

Also, I don't think low input lag is that important – yes, this is a rhythm game, but it's based on pattern, not timing. So it doesn't matter when you press button – 100ms earlier or later, more important to keep the rhythm.

It's great we're finally getting a Patapon release that looks as sharp as the promo materials in the trailers for the games. I never gave the series a fair shake on PSP but, if this lag situation is OK, this seems a great place to rectify that.

Heh, that's a cute OT title. Reading about the input lag really sucks though, I'm probably going to hold off on my purchase for now, until more impressions come in.

Torgo

Do NOT buy this game. Not in its current state.

I gave it 3.0 (out of 10) in my review on Everyeye.it

Seriously, what an abysmal tragedy this remaster is. It's so bad that at first I thought I had been doing something wrong, before blaming the game... but Patapon is among my favorite games EVER, and I did remember how fun and immediate it was, so I just tried it again on PSP (and on PSVita too, thanks to the PSP Essentials release) and there it worked perfectly.
On PS4 it's seriously an unplayable nightmare due to input lag and after nine tries - NINE - I eventually gave up at the desert stage (on PSVita I went past that at the first try, just to make a comparison). And seriously, I honestly can't believe people were able to go past that point, as it's basically impossible to build up two fevers in a row.
I can't even express how angry and frustrated this remastered got me, because you're playing it right and the game is absolutely not following you, but its own (fucked up) rhythm.
And it's too bad, as the game is still such a blast to play and has aged really well (also because it's so unique...).

Oh and before you ask, I played it on PS4 Pro, on a Panasonic Plasma VT50 model.

This is really odd since we saw none of these issues (beside it being similar to the original game in terms of any perceived input lag), and both Josh and I actually have Panasonic VT50's as well. I don't mean to insult you, but were you using Game Mode on your plasma?

Let's do this!

edit: I just did the first level and everything seems perfectly normal! It feels just like the PSP game. No input lag for me!

Keym

Yep, just did the first level, all fevered out until the end. Don't listen to the hyperbole and buy it!

Top Bottom