• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palworld's demand shows how thirsty gamers are for a truly next-gen Pokémon

Mythoclast

I do hope Palworld, or a future competitor in the genre, end up eating some of Game Freak´s lunch as a heads up. These guys have been shipping games with terrible performance, and quite honestly, not the quality/graphics/gameplay that I would expect from a multibillion dollar franchise. More than a million people bought Palworld on Early Access on release.

While the game is clearly on beta, it really shows that you can push the genre a lot further. Graphics that actually look from a game in the 2020s, MMO-style online/guilds, REAL TIME fighting/capturing (this was already done in Arceus). The crafting/survival aspect I personally do not care that much, as I don't like those mechanics. However, on the performance/graphics/gameplay side, Game Freak can do MUCH BETTER given the amount of cash they rake in every year. There is no excuse. Hopefully Switch 2 is powerful enough to run a game with Palworld's elements so that's not an excuse.

Whitecrow

Banned
Game Freak have been sitting on a gold mine for a long time and they did not give a single fuck.

One thing is making things for passion and not for money. But they dont do either of those. It's tragic.

Same ol G

Laugh Lol GIF

Ribi

I think people just like guns and the ability to shoot cute things with your friends with side activities to keep them occupied and not lose interest aka the survival mechanics

Honestly though, it's not the graphics. Pokemon needs more high-profile creative spin-off titles. I've enjoyed all of the games below way better than the mainline stuff.

The Mystery Dungeon series:

cf4cc8ebb2c64cb52b03591919ee1c02d2f71c01_hq.jpg

Pokemon Ranger series:

61cKD+V1zlL.jpg

911OUD48FbL.jpg

Detective Pikachu:

71JfJbRZl5L.jpg

Special recommended:

Pokemon Snap original and new versions(best non-horror photography game I think I've ever played aside from Afrika on PS3):

New-Pokemon-Snap---Nintendo-Switch

Spike Chunsoft and HAL Labs shouldn't be outperforming the main team in terms of creativity, but arguably, to me, they did so on a consistent basis.

Temtem was supposed to be an actual pokemon like game and didn’t really set the world on fire.

Temtem had a lot of cool things going for it, and it didn't do terribly considering the size of the team that made it, but the lackluster mon design held it back from greatness.

Saber

Gold Member
OP you are assuming GameFreak is not pushing graphics because of Switch's low power.....

Then you see what Monolith Soft archived with low power system compare to GameFreak.
Even with switch 2 those guys wont be pushing any graphics.

Not because of choice or artistic direction.
I really think Gamefreak are a bunch of incompetent and lazy developers. They sit on a gold mine and theres no reason to move an inch foward whatsoever. Any other game they create that is not pokemon results in massive fail for them.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Except the new Pokemon games sold way, way, way better and faster. Palworld is just the latest Steam FOTM survivalslop game, in six months everyone will be like "hey remember Palworld? That was weird".
Your thread title was so good I was expecting it to be a youtube video or video game website article. Bravo OP.
Same, I thought it was a PC Gamer article lmao

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Steam users love open world survival crafting early access games (that may or may not ever release) or whatever is popular on twitch that day for some reason.

Last edited:
Not because of choice or artistic direction.
I really think Gamefreak are a bunch of incompetent and lazy developers. They sit on a gold mine and theres no reason to move an inch foward whatsoever. Any other game they create that is not pokemon results in massive fail for them.
Nope. Is just a business decision of gramefreaks, low inversion for development and high revenues in sales… They know pretty well what they are doing and if the games still selling like hotcakes, they are going to continue that practice. It’s not the devs fault at all.

KXVXII9X

While I did get some fun hours from this game, it is nowhere near complete or polished. It is extremely janky, and a lot of times things don't work like they should. Enemies and my Pals get stuck or glitch. I think some people are in the honeymoon phase. It does offer a lot of interesting mechanics I wouldn't mind seeing in Pokémon though. I just hope the final game is much better presentation wise and has some kind of narrative. It feels like a tech demo.

Top Bottom