• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch World Cup 2017 Thread: Kimchi vs Baguettes [Group Stages]

I'm a weeny bit shocked at how underused defence characters are in this tournament. What's the deal with that? I saw a Widowmaker here and there, but usually, even when a team is defending, there's still an emphasis on offense characters.

While tanks are still good, having some extra attack power seems to be the meta with overwatch lately.

peakish

Catching up on the vods, Japan vs Spain was a great match. Largely thanks to the teams not being mirrors by the end of it. Seeing Pharah outside of University, McCree at all, Mercy supporting a non-Pharah comp, great stuff. Sad thing is Spain could have shut down a lot of that (well, on Dorado at least) if they had someone who could have flexed onto Dva. I'm so tired of seeing that defense matrix at this point >_<

Also, the sick CarryHook plays.

kami_sama

So does this mean Japan is really good or that Spain is playing much better?

I think it's the second one. Harry is on Soldier, Toxiken on Genji, much better than his Soldier, or on Pharah, where he is fucking great.
But Japan was very good.

EDIT: YEAHHHHHH! 4-0!!!

kami_sama

And I expected, Japan went 4-0 against Vietnam.
Tomorrow it will be Spain vs Vietnam and Japan vs Finland.
The standing will probably end up being:
- Japan
- Spain
- Finland
- Vietnam.
That means we are going against Australia for the last match. Hope we win, but the Australians have been great so I don't have really high hopes.

AngryMoth

Just catching up on yesterdays games, pretty shocked to see Spain 4-0 Finland. Can see a situation with neither them or Sweden making it to Blizzcon which would pretty surprising.

Getting pretty sick of the mirror matches, the meta definitely needs a shake up. Shame cos I remember there been a lot of variety in Apex this season.

kami_sama

Zarya + Reaper, boosted Zen. Japan = entertainment.
I went to the bathroom before the match started and when I got back they were already on the second round so I didn't see the Zarya + Reaper lol

Also, Japan>Spain and Spain>Finland but Japan~=Finland, what is happening?

ZugZug123

Whoever is controlling the camera on this makes some stupid decisions, like sticking to a hero that is just waiting on a health pack on something instead of swapping to another one while that is happening.

Veelk

Banned
How the hell has Japan not appeared in Apex yet? They are goddamn vicious. Their defense could use work, but they're aggression is terrifying.

I would love to see a Taimou v AKTM 1v1.

KiraFA37

How the hell has Japan not appeared in Apex yet? They are goddamn vicious. Their defense could use work, but they're aggression is terrifying.

The Japanese team consist of 3 different teams, also Japan has never been known for being big on PC gaming, might change now.

Japan - Australia 1-1 so far.

AngryMoth

Man that sucks to see Japan not make it after their performance this week. Wonder if Blizz underestimated the number of competitive teams when they decided on just 8 for the finals.

AKTM and Yoz are the reason Japan lost that. They could have won. AKTM kept going genji when he legit was getting destroyed on genji over and over. Made no damn sense. he is a much better soldier and mcree. In that last round he held with soldier for 99% then switches to genji only to just die over and over. His genji sucked the majority of that match. Its like he was throwing or some shit.

Yoz was first pick every fucking time... at some point you gotta be cognisent of it and stop being caught alone.

Japan left their zen alone to die for 2 fights which cost them 80% of the last round.

that last round I blame AKTM more than anything. dude is literally the best player on his team and he goes genji and gets shut down. He literally did nothing on genji but die over and over in that last round.

well they sim against the korean "scrub" teams. thats probably why.

but AKTM needs to be on a good pro team. he is as good on Mcree as Effect is on tracer. His soldier is damn amazing as well, but he doesnt go after high ground as soldier much, which is different.

That was probably one of the hypest sets of OW I've ever seen. Trill is just fucking brilliant on Winston, legit Batman with some of those ledge spots.

no group stage last week cause of Apex s3 finals.

t1501848000z0.png

almost six hours till the start of katowice group stage in poland.

9UDQ7S5X13QL1501533567501.png

Veelk

Banned
Oh man, Poland is playing.

I've never cared about sports, so I never had an opportunity to root for my homeland.

Until now.

Hope they don't embarass me.

Syf

Banned
Why is it that Koreans are so good at games anyway?
That's a question that goes way back. Korea had all the esports infrastructure and organization figured out when Brood War got huge over there. Kespa formed in 2000, sponsors signed on, teams formed, they found ways to discover the top talent, and it expanded from there to include other games. They were really the first country to organize and legitimize pro esports on that scale. PC bangs also encourage the competitive gaming culture outside of the official leagues. They got way ahead of other countries and any game that gets big over there they tend to master while the rest of the world plays catch-up.

Top Bottom