• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch 2 | Season 1 & New Hero Kiriko Announced

MastAndo

Having fun just playing Unranked at the moment, getting my bearings back after not touching Overwatch 1 for 5 years or so. I've been using Zarya pretty much exclusively, and when things click with your bubbles, you can completely dominate a match. Fun stuff.

I'm sure I'll eventually ruin the experience by taking things in to ranked, and be forced to turn team chat on and deal with annoying tryhards. For now, I'm having a good time.

jorgejjvr

Having fun just playing Unranked at the moment, getting my bearings back after not touching Overwatch 1 for 5 years or so. I've been using Zarya pretty much exclusively, and when things click with your bubbles, you can completely dominate a match. Fun stuff.

I'm sure I'll eventually ruin the experience by taking things in to ranked, and be forced to turn team chat on and deal with annoying tryhards. For now, I'm having a good time.
We are in the exact same boat. Haven't played for 5 years. Back on zarya, and feels so good. Unlike you I jumped into ranked tho lol

SSfox

Just DL the F2P version, it's actually nice that i got all the characters (expect the new ninja girl one) and all the skins i got with 1.

Remind me this Mercy costume, don't play her but played her a bit just because of this skin, remind me also of Sophie in SC3

201515-mercy-skin-winged-victory-article_m-1.png
ASdnKwG.jpg

I don't plan to play the game too much, but if they'll add some PVE stuffs i may go back to the game more often.

NeoLed

Just DL the F2P version, it's actually nice that i got all the characters (expect the new ninja girl one) and all the skins i got with 1.

Remind me this Mercy costume, don't play her but played her a bit just because of this skin, remind me also of Sophie in SC3

201515-mercy-skin-winged-victory-article_m-1.png
ASdnKwG.jpg

I don't plan to play the game too much, but if they'll add some PVE stuffs i may go back to the game more often.
You don't get Kiriko unlocked? OW player should have her unlocked day one. I did

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Well that's strange. I didn't purchase premium battlepass but I have Kiriko unlocked day one

PS4 OW player, have battle account linked and merged.
I remember seeing something about having to have played OW1 in the last few months to get a skin and her day 1. From the end of June to oct 2nd. If you didn’t that’s why.

Also just to throw this out there, she is locked out of competitive play for 2 weeks for everybody so she won’t be there at all yet.

wipeout364

I think I’m done, I’ve played a few games but it really does feel like the same game but worse to me. I take flex queue and End up as a support 9 out of 10 times. I am wondering if this is due to only having one tank now.

The battle pass feels slow and grindy, the store prices are quite high given how lame their character and skin design has become.

I think the one less tank actually hurts the game, the game is way too complicated and feels like anybody not doing their job causes the game to become very one sided. I say this as a solo queue player, it’s probably fine for premade teams but solo queue is just an exercise in frustration.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Well that's strange. I didn't purchase premium battlepass but I have Kiriko unlocked day one

PS4 OW player, have battle account linked and merged.

I double checked this, if you have OW1 you should get this seasons new heroes from the start, however there is an issue (even with successful merges) where OW2 will force players through the new player experience, if you are encountering that issue then apparently it also keeps Kiriko out of your hands unless you buy the new battle pass or grind to 40.

Last edited:

Banned
Good points about ow2 sense of progression or lack thereof

Also, are they planning to fix no aim assist on console when playing with pc friends?

wait there's no aim assist when playing with PC players?

oh god... given that the game sadly didn't get a comprehensive update to its controller aiming, which wasn't the best even when OW1, that's gonna be really hard to play.

there are no deadzone settings, you can not turn off aim acceleration and the max turn speed is super slow.

in terms of progression, what stood out to me is that the new character only has 2 gold skins, I think only 1 purple skin and like 4 blues.
standard was always 4 gold skins (2 designs + recolors)

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

wait there's no aim assist when playing with PC players?

oh god... given that the game sadly didn't get a comprehensive update to its controller aiming, which wasn't the best even when OW1, that's gonna be really hard to play.

there are no deadzone settings, you can not turn off aim acceleration and the max turn speed is super slow.
Played with my pc friends, nope, no aim assist. Couldn't do anything with heroes that required aim, only Winston was manageable due to the way he works lol

Super annoying

Banned
Played with my pc friends, nope, no aim assist. Couldn't do anything with heroes that required aim, only Winston was manageable due to the way he works lol

Super annoying

I feel that wouldn't be a problem (at least for me) if the aiming was on the level of Apex or good Steam mouse emulation settings.

if they wanna keep it that way they'll gonna need to completely overhaul their controller aiming, as it's currently pretty sub par and lacking important options (not having deadzone settings in 2022 is laughable for example)

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Also, this really helped improve my controller settings. Only difference for me is I use 60/60 sense, and linear curve. Works great..... When in console lobbies lol

I also don't use his cross hair settings

Last edited:

Banned
Also, this really helped improve my controller settings. Only difference for me is I use 60/60 sense, and linear curve. Works great..... When in console lobbies lol

no amount of tweaking can negate the aim acceleration issue and the fact there's no deadzone settings.

also the max turn speed is laughably slow for my tastes

jorgejjvr

I feel that wouldn't be a problem (at least for me) if the aiming was on the level of Apex or good Steam mouse emulation settings.

if they wanna keep it that way they'll gonna need to completely overhaul their controller aiming, as it's currently pretty sub par and lacking important options (not having deadzone settings in 2022 is laughable for example)
MAYBE if it was on the apex level, sure, but I still think aim assist is a must for any shooter for console players

jorgejjvr

no amount of tweaking can negate the aim acceleration issue and the fact there's no deadzone settings.

also the max turn speed is laughably slow for my tastes
Sure, I'll never have that, but I was going 20 kill streak easy yesterday with zarya agaisnt my console peers, then I was a noob agaisnt pc

Banned
Sure, I'll never have that, but I was going 20 kill streak easy yesterday with zarya agaisnt my console peers, then I was a noob agaisnt pc

I mean of course, you are playing against people that have the same sub par controls after all.

didn't they originally even plan to have full crossplay on at all times? I wonder if they are still aiming for that eventually, and if they do they really have to implement a shitload of additional options.

I think even with aim assist you wouldn't stand a chance.
the super slow sensitivity alone would make it almost impossible to play well as Genji or Hanzo against PC players for example.

the aim acceleration will fuck you up if you wanna keep up as McRee against a PC equivalent.

and the missing deadzone settings make sure that you'll never be able to adjust the game properly to your specific controller.
I have one Xbox SX controller with the most minimal drift I've ever had, meaning I can turn my deadzone to almost 0 + linear and barely get any drift. meanwhile my PS4 controller has a noticeable drift to the top left if my deadzone isn't properly adjusted in the same titles.
Deadzone settings can be among the most important ones to properly finetune your precision aiming in the inner most circle of your stick range.

and even against Console players, the aiming just doesn't feel that great, so you'll not have a competitive disadvantage but game feel is also important IMO

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

I mean of course, you are playing against people that have the same sub par controls after all.

didn't they originally even plan to have full crossplay on at all times? I wonder if they are still aiming for that eventually, and if they do they really have to implement a shitload of additional options.

the super slow sensitivity alone would make it almost impossible to play well as Genji or Hanzo against PC players for example.

the aim acceleration will fuck you up if you wanna keep up as McRee against a PC equivalent.

and the missing deadzone settings make sure that you'll never be able to adjust the game properly to your specific controller.
I have one Xbox SX controller with the most minimal drift I've ever had, meaning I can turn my deadzone to almost 0 + linear and barely get any drift. meanwhile my PS4 controller has a noticeable drift to the top left of my deadzone isn't properly adjusted in the dame titles.
Deadzone settings can be among the most important ones to properly finetune your precision aiming in the inner most circle of your stick range.

and even again Console players, the aiming just doesn't feel that great, so you'll not have a competitive disadvantage but game feel is also important IMO
When I play on my own or with console friends it says "console lobby", when I joined my pc friend it said "pc lobby"

Also, full transparency, rewatched my 20 eliminations, and it was with my pc friend, so it was a pc lobby lol. I did well, but my tracking with the laser is ALL over the place

So no matter how well I did, with aim assist, it would have only been better

I do feel however like I can keep up with them, just hard to stay on target due to no aim assist. But keeping up is no problem. I also have 0 problems agaisnt console players, and yeah deadzones and all would be nice, but I don't feel like the controls are bad

Last edited:

Banned
When I play on my own or with console friends it says "console lobby", when I joined my pc friend it said "pc lobby"

Also, full transparency, rewatched my 20 eliminations, and it was with my pc friend, so it was a pc lobby lol. I did well, but my tracking with the laser is ALL over the place

So no matter how well I did, with aim assist, it would have only been better

god damn those are bronze lobbies tho for sure, I also get super low elo matches when I'm playing it, seems to me they reset the skill rating on my account (although that was before my account merge was completed).
which also makes it currently hard to judge the balancing for me.

that enemy Junkrat made me cringe as a former Junkrat main.

jorgejjvr

god damn those are bronze lobbies tho for sure, I also get super low elo matches when I'm playing it, seems to me they reset the skill rating on my account (although that was before my account merge was completed).
which also makes it currently hard to judge the balancing for me.

that enemy Junkrat made me cringe as a former Junkrat main.
LOL definitely felt like I was running over them, with sucky aim.

My account merger just finished, so maybe that will change too

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Can someone explain to me if I need to buy any heroes if I own OW1?
Not now unless you get the glitch then you need to grind the new ones out like everyone else, Blizzard are aware but don't care.

However following the next season release you have to buy or grind new heroes like everyone else.

jeffyjaixx

Queued with Fitzyhere somehow in my 3rd or 4th comp game after not playing for a while lol. Guess my MMR is still up there?

OHNvJAr.jpeg

TVexperto

Not now unless you get the glitch then you need to grind the new ones out like everyone else, Blizzard are aware but don't care.

However following the next season release you have to buy or grind new heroes like everyone else.
thanks so there is only one new hero right now?

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
They finally took down the game to presumably fix the bug that puts everybody at new account hero mode.

With all he issues and glitches they need to just bite the bullet and take the game down for like 8 hours and fix everything, Trying to shoehorn big fixes into a tiny 1 hour window without testing to see how it goes bit them pretty hard today.

kubricks

I think I’m done, I’ve played a few games but it really does feel like the same game but worse to me. I take flex queue and End up as a support 9 out of 10 times. I am wondering if this is due to only having one tank now.

The battle pass feels slow and grindy, the store prices are quite high given how lame their character and skin design has become.

I think the one less tank actually hurts the game, the game is way too complicated and feels like anybody not doing their job causes the game to become very one sided. I say this as a solo queue player, it’s probably fine for premade teams but solo queue is just an exercise in frustration.

In open queue it's like 5 people playing apex legend lol, DPS chasing each other while the tank is on the other side of the map away from the objective.
I like 6v6 more, playing off tank is actually fun.

I don’t know how but this character is unlocked for me from the get go.
Everyone who played the first game (it feels crazy even typing that, as if this is actually another game) got the new hero for free. I guess they wanted to try to prevent as much bad PR at launch as they could, after all the dumb choices they made.

MastAndo

Everyone who played the first game (it feels crazy even typing that, as if this is actually another game) got the new hero for free. I guess they wanted to try to prevent as much bad PR at launch as they could, after all the dumb choices they made.
Not sure that's the case. I played the first one, accounts have been merged and everything and Kiriko is locked for me. Then again, I only played for a few dozen hours total when it first came out and that was it, so I may have missed some cutoff. All the characters I missed from O1 are unlocked though.

Last edited:

NeoLed

Not sure that's the case. I played the first one, accounts have been merged and everything and Kiriko is locked for me. Then again, I only played for a few dozen hours total when it first came out and that was it, so I may have missed some cutoff. All the characters I missed from O1 are unlocked though.
If you see a lock icon in the Heroes gallery, that's a competitive lock. You should be able to play her in QP. Unless you got the bug

I have one Xbox SX controller with the most minimal drift I've ever had, meaning I can turn my deadzone to almost 0 + linear and barely get any drift. meanwhile my PS4 controller has a noticeable drift to the top left if my deadzone isn't properly adjusted in the same titles.

and even against Console players, the aiming just doesn't feel that great, so you'll not have a competitive disadvantage but game feel is also important IMO
This 'full cross play on at all times' bullshit is ruining console multiplayer gaming. Period. There's no good reason for it making every single match unfair from the jump.

Input method should be the same as the default with a separate option to turn on cross play for those that don't mind it.

This is one of the worst, most egregious trends in gaming today.

Shubh_C63

There definitely needs to be some sort of downtime between matches. Right now it feels like they don't even want you to blink.
the game is so good for 30 min burst session.

Griffon

This 'full cross play on at all times' bullshit is ruining console multiplayer gaming. Period. There's no good reason for it making every single match unfair from the jump.

Input method should be the same as the default with a separate option to turn on cross play for those that don't mind it.

This is one of the worst, most egregious trends in gaming today.
There is no crossplay with PC. Only consoles with consoles.

There definitely needs to be some sort of downtime between matches. Right now it feels like they don't even want you to blink.
Personally I think that's good. It's also odd to me because a lot of people during OW 1 complained about the amount of wasted time between matches and how other games were much faster in that regard, yet now I've seen a lot of people complain about the opposite. I'm sure they probably had a statistic on the amount of people who just backed out of the post match cards and took that into account. My other theory is that they simply are doing this for the new SSD consoles so that they won't be seen as the slowest online shooter.

With how much faster matches start and last, the new ending card sort of fits to me and it feels great to just click two buttons as fast as possible to get to the next game. With competitive matches there's still the problem of an over-reliance on healers, and there's the problem of the dev team being too scared to make 8 player Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch official competitive modes. DM/TDM has been popular before and also they've moved DM to the quickplay section to solidify how popular it has become. I know one thing, if they ever fully decide to make DM and TDM into official competitive modes, I'm never going back to standard comp games(and maybe they worry about other people doing that).

Salz01

This OW2:update is a total disappointment. Fortnite, and it’s battlepass system shits all,over this games battlepass system. In a month this game will be dead again till pve.

Top Bottom