• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Overwatch Non-Binary Character Fully Revealed

Kikorin

We are living in an era where people are getting upset in the comment of that tweet because someone told "her" instead of "them", when she clearly is a female character (an ugly one, but still). Another awesome day to not be american.

Last edited:
The cast is so large having one non-binary character isn't a huge deal or upset, being able to tunnel underground is neat, but from the gameplay video their implementation looks really janky compared to something like Splatoon. I'm not sure any new hero would be enough to make me come back to the game.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Holy shit. Where’s Megatron when you actually need him!?!

0lT67VW.gif

RickSanchez

Gold Member
Ok...I'm old...but WTF is Non-binary ?
I have always wondered this. Even trans people usually go by the 'pronoun' of the gender they have transitioned to. A he becomes a she or vice versa. (.........right?)

But what does non-binary mean ? are they neither gender ? are they both ? Im not even trolling. I genuinely want to know what non-binary people mean, when they call themselves non-binary. (The wikipedia article did not help).

Last edited:

FingerBang

Is there a documentary that explains what the fuck happened to Blizzard?

I have always wondered this. Even trans people usually go by the 'pronoun' of the gender they have transitioned to. A he becomes a she or vice versa. (.........right?)

But what does non-binary mean ? are they neither gender ? are they both ? Im not even trolling. I genuinely want to know what non-binary people mean, when they call themselves non-binary. (The wikipedia article did not help).
Non-binary means that you identify as neither a man nor a woman. If you're on the left and subscribe to gender ideology, that means that you don't feel like either a man or a woman. It's mostly a political identity (you won't find any conservative non-binary people) that falls under the trans umbrella and also works on outdated gender stereotypes. I am a woman who likes football, but I'm not a man, so I'm neither. I'm a guy who likes pink, but I'm not a woman; I'm non-binary.

Suppose you take into account how people on the left now can be higher on their social hierarchy by claiming oppression and seeing how trans people are the most oppressed in the LGBT-insane world. In that case, claiming to be non-binary is a low-risk way to get power. It seems to be primarily straight young white women now who use this identity. I've heard transwomen complain about how trans communities are filled with them.

Another fantastic gift from Judith Butler, which I don't think will still exist by 2030.

I didn't see anything in the video or blurb that referred to any gender. Either way, if that's how Blizzard want to market this then they can fuck off.
This is how they have always handled their characters. The characters are just generic regular people in-game but for story purposes, they shoehorn sexual orientations and genders in.

AgatonSax

Is it armed with a drill to remove all discernible genitalia from other characters? I think that could really make the character work in context.

RickSanchez

Gold Member
If you're on the left and subscribe to gender ideology, that means that you don't feel like either a man or a woman. I am a woman who likes football, but I'm not a man, so I'm neither. I'm a guy who likes pink, but I'm not a woman; I'm non-binary.
That sounds like someone just trying to take advantage of a poorly-thought-out ideology to have the best of both worlds.

claiming to be non-binary is a low-risk way to get power. It seems to be primarily straight young white women now who use this identity. I've heard transwomen complain about how trans communities are filled with them.
And yes, obviously, once people who don't need it start taking advantage, people who are actually born with intersex physical conditions and actually have to face stigma and discrimination in their formative years get their voices diluted and end up not being taken seriously. But i guess if we suggest that claiming non-binary should require a medical examination to ensure that people who genuinely need help get it, it will be claimed as another form of discrimination.

I still can't believe they're calling this clusterfuck overwatch 2.
The last time I played OW2 I was thinking just that. If you never told anyone this was a sequel no would would ever guess they were playing a sequel. Adding insult to injury, they officially announced the full cancellation of PVE.

chlorate

Overwatch is also a game where a sapient hamster kills trained elite supersoldiers in combat but people don’t seem to question the realism of that.

Did you react this way to Mewtwo not having a gender in Pokémon? A psychic talking cat monster is about as absurd as Overwatch.

Last edited:
How does their gender identity affect the gameplay? Where is it even spelled out?
It doesnt. But some people care about that so designers put that in the game. Just like how attractive a character is doesnt affect gameplay either. But some people care about that too. So that is also in the game.

FingerBang

Overwatch is also a game where a sapient hamster kills trained elite supersoldiers in combat but people don’t seem to question the realism of that.

Did you react this way to Mewtwo not having a gender in Pokémon? A psychic talking cat monster is about as absurd as Overwatch.
Because people are tired of online weirdos' ideology being in every fucking game. A talking cat and a sapient hamster aren't a political statement, no one will see it as a way to normalize identifying as a sentient hamster among kids.

The only way you can be ok with it is if you are in that group. Everybody else sees it as pandering to a virtually nonexistent minority. People will play the game in spite of that, but the blue haired weirdos will think they're doing God's work.

Last edited:

E-Cat

It doesnt. But some people care about that so designers put that in the game. Just like how attractive a character is doesnt affect gameplay either. But some people care about that too. So that is also in the game.
99% care how attractive, 5-10% max care about gender identity

Top Bottom