• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Onslaught and Infection: OMG!! Thanks Rare!

JoDark

MS Viral Marketing
I know there is an official thread, but I had to get this on page one.

PDZ on Live OWNS ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fucking Onslaught!
This is like a mode where you have adeathmatch team VS. a counter-strike team! One team has to protect a base, and gets money to shop, but only one life. The other team gets infinate lives, but shit weapons (selectable by the host!) The bases are sometimes really secure (more later), but other bases have multiple ways in right at the start.

So, round starts, attackers storm the base, with their crap weapons: of course, this is round 1, so the defenders have weapons that are only so good (of course the host can set the starting money as well:)) This is were the bad ass move of all time comes in. Stealing the enemies weapon. As an attacker, it's possible to follow in a crowd, but with your weapon put away (tap up on the d-pad)... then hit right shoulder when you are close to an enemy. There is a KILLER sound effect... and thier gun is now in your hands, and they are left with... hands. BOOM HEADSHOT!!! Now you are an attacker with a kick ass weapon!

In the later rounds, you can get like c4 packs, and there are weak places where you can blow holes into the enemy base... but now the defenders have more money, so better weapons... bombs and bigger guns, mines, laptops set up as turrets, the shockwave to see you coming! But the boomerang thing's second function BLOCKS BOMBS!!! and the KICK ASS SWORD blocks bullets. Get this in front of a few attackers...

This game REALLY changes the use of the maps as well. Take the snow level. There are differnet bases that have little use in many of the modes, just a place to start on the bigger maps. One of these, based on the layout chosen big map with the bases or small map) will be the "base" and the game TOTALLY changes based on these maps. And on team size. I played this mode with 6 people up to 32. All with smooth as hell framerate. All CRAZY fun.

Nice!

Then there's infection. Kind of like Zombie, but again, also like deathmatch vs. counterstrike. one player starts as a skeleton... with a crappy weapon (again host chosen!!!), the others get to shop first, again with a host chosen amount of $$. As the skeleton kills players, they become skeletons, so you are switched from the stud team with $$ and weapons, to the skeleton team with crappy pistols; of course there is that weapons stealing thing again!! If some players can survive this, they ALL become the skeleton team at the beginning of the next round. If all die, the last to survive is the skeleton.

I have played a LOT of FPS over the years. 100's of hours of Counterstrike, Goldeneye, some PD, Halo, Halo 2, CS Source, TF, UT, etc.

After about 15 hours of PDZ, I am still shocked almost every game just how KICK ASS this game is on Live.

I didn't even go into CTF on the freaking massive desert level with vehicles. Or Eradication (standard CS) on some of the maps... King of the hill (called terratorial gains), etc,.etc. The WEAPONS ARE SO KICK ASS. The modes are awesome, from traditional to really original. There don't seem to be any bad maps, and it's crazy how different the game modes feel on these maps. Not to mention, all of the maps are HUGE in their big modes. As said, it's impressive how different a map feels between infection and onslaught. An area of the map that feels "dead" in one mode, becomes the home to all the action in another.

I really want to play co-op. I really want to spend more time with my other games. I haven't even OPENED Condemmed or Quake. I sit down, look at the PD box, and start thinking about Onslaught.

Kick FUCKING ASS JOB RARE.

Thanks for bringing back that great old GE feeling, in all new ways. You know, it's late, and should be time for bed, as it's time to get the Turkey going early tomorrow. But FUCK IT!! I'm going to play some more Onslaught.

Dear diary, I played Top Gear Rally for the first time in like, seven thousand years or something the other day! It was pretty shithouse =(, the end.

123rl

That sounds really cool actually. I wasn't interested in PDZ, then I wanted it for co-op only. But the more I hear about it, the better it sounds

PezRadar said:
with the name of "JoDark" im sure you didnt really dislike rare in the first place anyways..

Thanks for your input. It was REALLY useful and important.

krypt0nian said:
What a shitty response to a well made thread.

yes yours was great too!

Im not dissing the game or the post, just one section of it. Sounds like Rare is getting alot of credit for the game when it may be nothing stupendous on what they did, but still those few new ways of playing the game online do sound really great.

Glad to hear its not all pure deathmatch style anymore.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
krypt0nian said:
What a shitty response to a well made thread.
I do kind of agree with him. It's almost like viral marketing, ya know? I've never seen this user until just now either. It's kinda like that guy that pimping Prince of Persia WW for Ubisoft (or at least it seemed that way)...

It does sound pretty fun, though.

Burger

Sounds pretty cool, and I'm sure I'll play it...

...but I thought viral marketing wasn't allowed here ?

I agree. If JoDark isn't another viral marketer attempting to infiltrate GAF, they're obviously coming from a very biased point of view!

123rl

Someone says something positive about a game so they're a viral marketer? :lol I'll have to remember that one the next time I see a positive comment about something on here

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
123rl said:
Someone says something positive about a game so they're a viral marketer? :lol I'll have to remember that one the next time I see a positive comment about something on here

Posting outside of the official thread, a name tied to the franchise in question, it isn't a very far leap...

dark10x said:
I do kind of agree with him. It's almost like viral marketing, ya know? I've never seen this user until just now either. It's kinda like that guy that pimping Prince of Persia WW for Ubisoft (or at least it seemed that way)...
Tell that to SolidSnakex :p

JoDark

MS Viral Marketing
What the fuck ever. I have been on the gaf for years. A fan of PD, so I took this name cause my other choices were taken. I had faith, but was worried about PD based on all the shit over the last 6 months just like many others here.

Anyway, maybe I should not post and just play. Fucking asshole.

JoDark

MS Viral Marketing
I had no lag. None. In any of the games I played in. I have only played a few games with vehicles though, this would seem to be the most likely place if it's going to lag.

Not sure I can remember all 6 maps! But I'll try.

Snow level, there are bases on the outside of a big circular level, with a temple building in the middle. The temple is about 6 stories high, and has a basement with a tunnel to a ladder side entrance. The bases are all dramatically different (in all level s actually). The one I played Onslought was like a literal base. 3 stories, cool open roofs for sniping, etc. Two ways into the area with the base, both caves.

Urban City level. Kind of like above, but a park in the middle with a small building that has two entrances. What's cool here is that the park is surrounded by 4 dramaticlally different buildings. An office, a parking garage... and two others, again all differnet. And these are NOT the bases. Those are on the 4 ajacent blocks, and again, all 4 are differnent (at least the 2 I saw. There are back ways into each of the 4 buildings around the park, again, all routes pretty varried. I LOVE this map. It's simple, but at the same time, has a TON of cool little fight areas. In this level, on infection, there is this red building off the park that has a round desk with a door into a back room into the desk area. The desk opens into the main room, that faces the door into the park. We had a kick ass battle in this place over and over on Infection. A small room in a HUGE level became the focuse.

Temple; This level feels to me like the new Complex. It's SUPER complicated, and beautiful, every area has multiple entrances and exits, all wrapping back onto each other. It has that complex feeling where I know I can learn it (I have one area mastered already), and I feel great seeing a fight going on, and knowing I can get there a few different ways. The bases in this level are REALLY differnet! Cool area is a 2 floor open area with a balcony all the way around that's inside a pyramid in the middle of the map.

Desert; First bunch of times I played this level, it was in the town area which was shown in those first screen shots. It's a HUGE area surrounded by high cliffs. Awesome. Then I played a 32 player ctf game with vehicles, and realized that huge town is literally like 5% of the size of this map. This level is our of control. Canyons, caves, the town, temples like in egypt, on and one. I also played a game of dark ops on this map, and that main town was not even in the game, but again HUGE area with all these other canyons, a different temple. Wow, this level is killer.

There was another desert like town, but only played there a few times on onslought. Anyone can add to this?

I can't remember the 6th! Maybe I never played on it.

For me, the most impressive part of this game online is that I have played a LOT, and I have not seen anywhere near all the stuff on all the maps, and I have not played all the modes. I have used a LOT of weapons, but there are a bunch that I haven't used as when I can choose (in Dark ops), I typically go for my current favs. I have flown the jetpacs!!! But only ridden on the side of the hovercraft.

Having a blast!

stone128

JoDark said:
I had no lag. None. In any of the games I played in. I have only played a few games with vehicles though, this would seem to be the most likely place if it's going to lag.

Not sure I can remember all 6 maps! But I'll try.

Snow level, there are bases on the outside of a big circular level, with a temple building in the middle. The temple is about 6 stories high, and has a basement with a tunnel to a ladder side entrance. The bases are all dramatically different (in all level s actually). The one I played Onslought was like a literal base. 3 stories, cool open roofs for sniping, etc. Two ways into the area with the base, both caves.

Urban City level. Kind of like above, but a park in the middle with a small building that has two entrances. What's cool here is that the park is surrounded by 4 dramaticlally different buildings. An office, a parking garage... and two others, again all differnet. And these are NOT the bases. Those are on the 4 ajacent blocks, and again, all 4 are differnent (at least the 2 I saw. There are back ways into each of the 4 buildings around the park, again, all routes pretty varried. I LOVE this map. It's simple, but at the same time, has a TON of cool little fight areas. In this level, on infection, there is this red building off the park that has a round desk with a door into a back room into the desk area. The desk opens into the main room, that faces the door into the park. We had a kick ass battle in this place over and over on Infection. A small room in a HUGE level became the focuse.

Temple; This level feels to me like the new Complex. It's SUPER complicated, and beautiful, every area has multiple entrances and exits, all wrapping back onto each other. It has that complex feeling where I know I can learn it (I have one area mastered already), and I feel great seeing a fight going on, and knowing I can get there a few different ways. The bases in this level are REALLY differnet! Cool area is a 2 floor open area with a balcony all the way around that's inside a pyramid in the middle of the map.

Desert; First bunch of times I played this level, it was in the town area which was shown in those first screen shots. It's a HUGE area surrounded by high cliffs. Awesome. Then I played a 32 player ctf game with vehicles, and realized that huge town is literally like 5% of the size of this map. This level is our of control. Canyons, caves, the town, temples like in egypt, on and one. I also played a game of dark ops on this map, and that main town was not even in the game, but again HUGE area with all these other canyons, a different temple. Wow, this level is killer.

There was another desert like town, but only played there a few times on onslought. Anyone can add to this?

I can't remember the 6th! Maybe I never played on it.

For me, the most impressive part of this game online is that I have played a LOT, and I have not seen anywhere near all the stuff on all the maps, and I have not played all the modes. I have used a LOT of weapons, but there are a bunch that I haven't used as when I can choose (in Dark ops), I typically go for my current favs. I have flown the jetpacs!!! But only ridden on the side of the hovercraft.

Having a blast!

On a scale from 0.0 to 10 how much fun are you having, and what game would you rate the highest on this scale?

Just want to see where you're coming from ^_^

Prine

Banned
JoDark said:
Kick FUCKING ASS JOB RARE.

Thanks for bringing back that great old GE feeling, in all new ways. You know, it's late, and should be time for bed, as it's time to get the Turkey going early tomorrow. But FUCK IT!! I'm going to play some more Onslaught.

Thats what i like to hear. Rare are back baby! :D

I cant stand having to wait for this game, all you tarts are online enjoying the brilliance of this game. Im here, stuck at home, dreaming of when i might be playing PDZ :(

A friend of mine

That said, I'm enjoying PDZ. Went through Mission 2 last night. Quite a rush in that level. I love it when the enemy spots you. It's fucking crazy the amount of enemies the game throws at you. It's even better when you have a shotgun and start mowing bitches down.

Damn it you ******! Get your 360!

Raiden

Banned
WHA...WHAT THE SWORD CAN DEFLECT BULLETS? GREYFOX ALL THE WAY BABY.

And what a cool mode didnt even know it was in there, aaaaaaargh 2 DEC COME HERE DAMMIT

JoDark

MS Viral Marketing
On a 1-10, the onslaught and infection modes felt like 10's. Straight up deathmatch is an 8, not much new, but the weapons are great.

For me, it does feel like college playing GE (yea, I'm old...), drinking beer talking shit. Or the first time I played Halo Lan 16 players.

It's in no way perfect, nothing ever is. But parts of it feel perfect! I have played 1p now, it's good, but nothing special; though I can tell it's going to rock on Perfect (and Dark, if I can ever open that) I played a few games online co-op as well, and that was KICK ASS. More like a 9.5. Played through the infamous rooftops, it was cool to "be there". Looking forward to playing more, a friend and I are going through the game on Secret, and may back off to agent just to get through quick. Then we will go back and start trying perfect cause we will know what to do.

That is if I can stop thinking about Onslaught:)

Off to have some Turkey. Thanks for listening unlike some idiots.

Prine

Banned
JoDark has been here for ages. He didnt just spring up prior to X360 launch

Why was Kryptonian banned? For that response? Harsh

Raiden

Banned
I just have two more Questions and then there wont be any crying coming fro me anymore :D

Can you dual wield the Cmp 150?

And, can you still stick mines on people? :D

Top Bottom