• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One week later, PS4 dominates best selling videogame charts for Amazon/Gamestop

Status
Not open for further replies.
The proof is that for it not to be the case, the whole world would have to have randomly decided to lie about it at once.

Give it time, the Xbone will probably sell out for day one by November too. But beyond that? Doesn't look good. It's getting a ton of bad press, even in the mainstream.

Let me change that. I meant I need more proof that PS4 is going to have so many units available.

antonz

All these charts are honestly worthless. They are heavily influenced by the small minority who watches E3 and lives and dies by gaming news.

The mainstream is whats going to matter and Microsoft is going to spend a lot of money ensuring they have the airwaves

All these charts are honestly worthless. They are heavily influenced by the small minority who watches E3 and lives and dies by gaming news.

The mainstream is whats going to matter and Microsoft is going to spend a lot of money ensuring they have the airwaves
You do realize that the pre orders are outpacing bioshock infinite, last of us and every other AAA game release this year, right? That's not a few E3 obsessives.

Even if every gamestop sells through their shipments of both systems the PS4 will be leading nearly 3:1. Beyond just the demand being higher for PS4 the Xbone has serious supply issues. TRUTHFACT

Have you guys been paying attention to the yearly AMazon totals?

A person made a thread on another forum I occasionally frequent a few days ago, pointing out that on the UK video game charts for all of 2013, the XBO was at 69th while the PS4 was at 91st.

The numbers apparently updated between now and then, because the PS4 is now 7th, while the XBO has fallen one spot to 70th. That's an incredible jump, and it would imply that XBO pre-orders stalled out after the post-reveal hype, while the PS4's pre-orders spiked in a HUGE way after E3.

In the US the ps4 launch day edition is 2nd while the XBO is 8th.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/2013/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar/279-2285307-5597923#1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2013/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar/279-2285307-5597923#1

xaosslug

whatever anyone thinks about taking these polls and top lists and anecdotal evidence as being indicative of trends in the market, 3rd parties mos certainly ARE looking at these numbers/lists, and adjusting their marketing accordingly. If it becomes overwhelmingly obvious 1 console will likely sell more software than the other they will not hesitate to push that console in ads over the other. I mean if PS4's reign does not let up on these lists, we will be seeing the PS4 logo prominently displayed in ads for these games like crazy.

3rd parties will leave MS to it rather than sink with them, 'unprecedented' partnerships or not. LOL

A person made a thread on another forum I occasionally frequent a few days ago, pointing out that on the UK video game charts for all of 2013, the XBO was at 69th while the PS4 was at 91st.

The numbers apparently updated between now and then, because the PS4 is now 7th, while the XBO has fallen one spot to 70th. That's an incredible jump, and it would imply that XBO pre-orders stalled out after the post-reveal hype, while the PS4's pre-orders spiked in a HUGE way after E3.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/2013/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar/279-2285307-5597923#1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2013/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar/279-2285307-5597923#1

Xbone is being beat by Skyrim, a 2011 release.

Gaf these days
dhu535EY82

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Wow. A more revealing picture - in so far as Amazon can be - then hourly charts.

goonergaz

Isn't game uk classed as mainstream? ~25k pre-orders 2:1 = PS4:XBone

There are no real hard numbers on this but here are the pre-order charts for Webhallen, a fairly big electronics retailer in Sweden. Used by many gamers. (Yes the price in Sweden are the same for both consoles at $650). It's in Swedish but I don't think anyone will have a hard time understanding what's what.

toppeno9rqr.png

PS4 and One in the first two places and after that the only next-gen thing on the list is the DS4 at #10.

checked in amazon France. Ps4 is at 52th place. xbox one is not in top 100. neither of the xboxone games. Halo 4 is on 53th position lol

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So this is just anecdotal, but I found it a bit amusing... I was in Gamestop yesterday to preorder a PS4 and BF4. While the cashier is processing my purchase, the phone rings and he answers, "Hello this is Gamestop where we're taking preorders on the Plastation 4, this is so and so speaking, can I help you."

lol

Anyway... I asked him if I was for sure going to have a system there on launch day... he assured me that it would be there, anyone preordering will have the system guaranteed, he says, but he's expecting a call any day for them to stop taking preorders on it, and doesn't expect there will be many available on launch for those who just show up without a valid preorder.

Cheech

The GameStop chart is the only truly relevant one, IMO, because of how much skin ($100!) you need to get in the game.

The other lists, however, tell an interesting story. You have the PS4, a bunch of PS4 software, and just the Xbone hardware.

Who buys just the console hardware without games? Optimistic, stupid scalpers is who; they fail to realize that a $500 box with terrible buzz is not going to fly off shelves this fall.

For the record, I don't think it will be terribly hard to find either console at retail this fall, but anyone getting excited about the Xbone's future based on an Amazon chart needs to look at the entire chart for the full story.

Tin foil hat extra credit: Why are there still Day One Xbones available, even though initial allocations were shut down shortly after the unveil? Two options: Microsoft gave retail more allocation - a LOT more allocation, like a heinously huge amount. Or, and everyone adjust your shiny hats, they had massive amounts of cancellations, releasing tons of stock back into the pool. Based on the fact that the Amazon PS4 bundles are hugely popular, and didn't come out until several days after what I'm sure Microsoft has internally termed "Xboned Monday", leads me to believe the cancelers snapped up a different box.

Doffen

Scandinavia:

CDON Norway:

1. PS4
8. Xbox One

CDON Sweden:

2. PS4
4. Xbox One

CDON Denmark:

5. PS4
14. Dual Shock 4

Oddly no games in top 15 preorders.

Edit: I'm expecting a lot of preorders to go by Microsoftstore.com in Norway, since they are the only ones who guarantees delivery for launch.

spwolf

Amazon is never a good source of information no matter if we want it to be, but sure, its fun to watch. Actual info from retailer insiders is a lot more valid.

PaulLFC

Oh wow. I wasn't expecting the gap between PS4 and XB1 to be that big! That is insane.

mazillion

I remember when I was picking up my copy of The Last Of Us at GameStop and there was a guy in front of me and he asked about the availability of the Xbone. the lady GameStop employee was like "are you suuurre you want the xbox one...?" and she seriously talked it down. The guy left without asking anymore about the xbox one. I laughed and asked which console was selling more preorders and they said with certainty "playstation 4." I left satisfied. I hope the ps4 gets the larger consumer base, for that means more attention from developers.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I remember when I was picking up my copy of The Last Of Us at GameStop and there was a guy in front of me and he asked about the availability of the Xbone. the lady GameStop employee was like "are you suuurre you want the xbox one...?" and she seriously talked it down. The guy left without asking anymore about the xbox one. I laughed and asked which console was selling more preorders and they said with certainty "playstation 4." I left satisfied. I hope the ps4 gets the larger consumer base, for that means more attention from developers.

I'm in full support of PS4, and not getting an XB1. I do have to say, reading your, and many other posts about a killed pre-order about XB1, it comes off a bit like this. Someone walks into store to pre-order XB1, some person behind the counter kills the pre-order by either talking down the XB1 or annoying the customer until they leave without preordering, then someone asks which system is being pre-ordered more. I would imagine, in that store, it's hard for XB1 to have many, even if it were possible for it to pre-order well. Just saying.

Amazon.com,despite its flaws,shouldn't be underestimated in the long run:

-Wii broke sales records between 2007-2009 in the US and Amazon.com

-Kinect and Xbox 360 Slim were a success story between 2010-11 in the US and Amazon.com

-PS3 is unpopular in the US and Amazon.com

Amazon Best Sellers of 2007
1 Wii
11 Xbox 360
32 PS3
40 Xbox 360
54 PS3
70 Xbox 360
79 Xbox 360
99 Xbox 360

Amazon Best Sellers of 2008
1 Wii
32 Xbox 360
42 PS3
52 PS3
94 Xbox 360

Amazon Best Sellers of 2009
1 Wii
17 PS3
36 Xbox 360
86 Xbox 360

Amazon Best Sellers of 2010
11 Kinect
16 Wii
32 PS3
48 Wii
59 Wii
63 Xbox 360
68 PS3
83 Wii
96 Xbox 360

Amazon Best Sellers of 2011
12 Xbox 360
13 Kinect
22 PS3
30 Xbox 360
84 PS3
95 Wii

Amazon Best Sellers of 2012
38 PS3
46 Xbox 360
49 Kinect
67 Xbox 360

I think the PS4 will exceed everyone's expectations during the first 18 months because Microsoft has gone insane.

Sony needs to launch the PS4 ASAP in US/UK

spwolf

I wasnt aware that they have yearly totals - this makes all the difference. As we can see Launch Edition of PS4 is #2 for the year there, even though it is unavailable and no other PS4 stuff gets into top 100 for the year, as we should expect (accessories or games).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom