• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One week later, PS4 dominates best selling videogame charts for Amazon/Gamestop

Status
Not open for further replies.

goonergaz

It might if Amazon/Gamestop/Best Buy stopped taking X1 preorders. So far they haven't, online anyways.

Maybe if it was one website, or a few anecdotal "my local Gamestop sold out of PS4s!" sure.

But this is multiple websites, and dozens if not a hundred people confirming the same thing about GS and other store preorders- allotments for PS4 are much higher than X1. Not to mention the confirmed yield problems.

I can tell you game uk have preorders of 2:1 in favour of PS4, whilst I thought Internet preorders would be different to shop preorders it seems even in sops folks are preordering more PS4s...glad I got mine in day one!

With the amount of people I know being paranoid about DRM and privacy, I think this console will be very unpopular in Germany.

Even without that the 360 already had a hard time here, so I think that's a safe bet. It's really interesting how fitting the Europe = Sonyland saying is, it's pretty one-sided besides the UK. And those times seem to be over as well.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
We had the same exact stuff happen at the beginning of last generation. People constantly referred to Amazon, Bestbuy and Gamestop's top sellers. We had weekly annecdote threads. They were almost always wrong. I'm not saying that the Playstation 4 isn't going to outsell the XB1, but using these sources as a validation for that opinion is completely misguided.

You're being skeptical without being analytical.

It's correct that the current trends in pre-orders will not perfectly, or perhaps even strongly, predict sales at launch, but it's a rational basis on which to make a prediction. The alternative is to throw up your hands and say "there's just no way to know what people are thinking!" which obviously isn't true.

If you have real evidence that people were all wrong at the start of last generation, and the top-seller data was completely non-predictive, you should present it. There's a substantial difference between popularity on major retail sites and gamestop pre-order anecdotes. If your argument is that there were lots of gamestop anecdotes that amounted to nothing, you don't have to argue because I agree that's not very useful data.

A more general note of caution is warranted, though, in that GAF, in aggregate, is on a Sony train right now, and every little positive thing Sony does is likely to get spun as more positive than it really is, while every little bad thing MS does will be seen as even worse.

We had the same exact stuff happen at the beginning of last generation. People constantly referred to Amazon, Bestbuy and Gamestop's top sellers. We had weekly annecdote threads. They were almost always wrong. I'm not saying that the Playstation 4 isn't going to outsell the XB1, but using these sources as a validation for that opinion is completely misguided.

Well it's either this or completely pulling numbers out of our asses so it's better than nothing.

The fact that PS4 w/ bundles are already dominating top 10 sells and that PS4 standard version already taken the #1 spot and the initial Launch Edition sold out at Amazon tells me that PS4 is going to outsell Xbox One by more than just 2 to 1 like many claimed. It's probably something like 5 to 1 or 10 to 1. I doubt it's 2 to 1...i mean just look at some of the polls...they're also heavily favor PS4 like 70% to 90%...it's ridiculous.

The biggest difference between the anecdote threads of the PS3/360 era was that many were directly contradicting whereas the GS preorder differences between PS4 and XB1 seem to be universal and corroborated by insider info about production woes.

I'd like to see more proof that the ps4 has so many more preorders. Even being in the #2 spot on places like amazon, I don't buy that they had sell and haven't sold out yet over a week later.

McLovin

Gamestop put a $100 minimum deposit on the ps4, guess they can do that with the high demand. The dude also pointed out they didn't get many x1s.
off-topic but the dude at the counter said he was getting one too and he use to be xbox only.

Sera O

Banned
I realize we can't really know anything based on these rankings, but the sales for peripherals/software could be a better indication of interest. For the consoles themselves, pre-orders are more sensitive to factors like scalper orders, or people just wanting a just-in-case hold due to scalpers.

abic

Banned
The biggest difference between the anecdote threads of the PS3/360 era was that many were directly contradicting whereas the GS preorder differences between PS4 and XB1 seem to be universal and corroborated by insider info about production woes.

Let's not forget that Amazon is a lot bigger than it was seven years ago. It's gaming sales must have multiplied by at least 2-3x since.

I really hope the Xbox doesn't win. I want Microsoft to learn and change their ways (it'll happen, I just hope it doesn't take as long as Sony did). I want my Haloz and my Quantum Brake!

spwolf

except we did not.

sheamus

Just like Windows ME, Windows Vista, Windows 8, and Windows Phones!

Microsoft is lucky that they're so entrenched in the corporate environment with products like Active Directory, exchange and windows server. Cause they're eating it everywhere else.

PS4 is the Stone Cold Steve Austin to Microsoft's Vince Mcmahon

You forgot the Microsoft Surface

Boke1879

I'm still shocked hardly Xb1 software has cracked the top 20 on amazon. I mean GS may be a different story, but it's pretty telling that the PS4 3rd party software is either way ahead or neck and neck with the Xbone versions.

BearPawB

Banned
I'm still shocked hardly Xb1 software has cracked the top 20 on amazon. I mean GS may be a different story, but it's pretty telling that the PS4 3rd party software is either way ahead or neck and neck with the Xbone versions.

Why buy xb1 disc versions? Can't trade em in, might as well download digitally.

I have a ps4 with money down at GameStop. Plus watch dogs and kill zone preordered.

I have an xb1 preordered at amazon (no money down clearly) and no games preordered.

abic

Banned
XBONE just took number 1 spot on Amazon in US.

It's good this is happening because we do want Microsoft in the game and Sony to not get complacent.

The only thing I don't want is Microsoft to be successful to the extent where their DRM policy becomes the norm for the industry.

Playstation 4 getting a similar margin advantage in the USA as the 360 did would be a great baseline, so basically multi platform titles selling 50-100% more.

I'd like to see more proof that the ps4 has so many more preorders.

The proof is that for it not to be the case, the whole world would have to have randomly decided to lie about it at once.

Give it time, the Xbone will probably sell out for day one by November too. But beyond that? Doesn't look good. It's getting a ton of bad press, even in the mainstream.

JABEE

The only videogame item outselling the sold out PS4 Launch Edition on Amazon US in 2013 (so far) is the $20 PSN Card.

Seth

At some point i expect one of the bundles to take #1 spot. However, even if xbox one does take #1 spot for more than one update period it means nothing when Sony has 5 SKUs in the top 10.

Chaos17

I am not surprised since the news about their policies didn't hit a lot of mainstream tv news.

I'll wait for a few NPDs next year before jumping to conclusions

This...

I hope we don't get these threads popping up every time the consoles shift positions on Amazon sales charts. That's going to get annoying really fast.

The day after the PS4 reveal, the PS4 took the top spot, then it lost it the next day and the Xbox One held it for a few days, now the PS4 is back on top, and the One is in second. Give it a week and the positions will probably switch again as each of the consoles sell out, get more stock, sell out, etc.

I'd rather just wait until we have actual sales numbers.

*Edit* Just looked and the Xbox One is back on top... This is why these threads are pointless. They'll keep switching back and forth leading up to launch. You can't really read into them too much.

artist

Banned
This...

I hope we don't get these threads popping up every time the consoles shift positions on Amazon sales charts. That's going to get annoying really fast.

The day after the PS4 reveal, the PS4 took the top spot, then it lost it the next day and the Xbox One held it for a few days, now the PS4 is back on top, and the One is in second. Give it a week and the positions will probably switch again as each of the consoles sell out, get more stock, sell out, etc.

*Edit* Just looked and the Xbox One is back on top... This is why these threads are pointless. They'll keep switching back and forth leading up to launch. You can't really read into them too much.
So transparent when we have other data points where the PS4 is consistently outselling the Xbone. But yeah they have been trading positions, it's really a head to head fight *WINK*

weevles

I'm guessing scalpers too, particularly for Xbone since there's only one edition and it's more limited than PS4. The lack of software being sold also suggests it and yes this is all anecdotal non-science/statistical guessing. I hope all scalpers get burned heavily.

This...

If you found this to be annoying I predict that you're going to blow your brains out when sales numbers come through.

I thought Microsoft's numbers would be a lot worse actually.

They are actually worse than I expected. When you factor in Scalpers after the Xbox 360 shortage...this is crazy bad.

I know a people planning to scalp them while keeping their PS4. Which I don't see being profitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom