• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One week later, PS4 dominates best selling videogame charts for Amazon/Gamestop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jomjom

Banned
What is really surprising to me is that even the PSN cards are outselling their XBL counterparts now. XBL points cards have always far outsold the PSN ones in the past.

Chiggs

Im kind of shocked that the xbox is doign that well really. Im thinking it wont be any where near as bad (sales wise) as people think it will be.

This.

Clearly, the PS4 has an advantage, but that advantage, unfortunately, isn't nearly what I would like it to be. The fact that the Xbox One is ranking in the top ten on many sites is disconcerting.

C-DubSP

Neo Member
Why aren't Xbox one games charting but the system is?

Are people buying it for the TV features?

Could be, I don't think there are many official announced launch titles for xbone yet, aside from a few third party exceptions like CoD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, etc. I think Dead Rising 3, Forza5 and Killer Instinct are the only first party launch games so far.

I think it's really surprising because everyone though the days of crazy hardware bombs was over. (Jaguar, 3DO, Saturn, Dreamcast, etc.)

Not everyone is buying the same game just because they're buying the system. There's also probably a lot of people planning to go digital only compared to PS4.

Software is the real tale here. PS4 and XBOne will offer the same when it comes to digital games. If anything, the PS4 offers a better service for it.

It's interesting to note how more games are being preordered for PS4. I think this is an indication of two things.

1. Sony won the core gamers, who buy the most games and made the 360 software powerhouse this gen.

2. Less money to buy games when you shell out $500 for a console :(

C-DubSP

Neo Member
It's interesting to note how more games are being preordered for PS4. I think this is an indication of two things.

1. Sony won the core gamers, who buy the most games and made the 360 software powerhouse this gen.

Very true. I only bought 3 games at the PS3 launch, I have 5 reserved for PS4.

Software is the real tale here. PS4 and XBOne will offer the same when it comes to digital games. If anything, the PS4 offers a better service for it.

I agree. I'm just saying because of the restrictions on physical, people are less likely to see value in it on the Xone and not even bother with it.

This.

Clearly, the PS4 has an advantage, but that advantage, unfortunately, isn't nearly what I would like it to be. The fact that the Xbox One is ranking in the top ten on many sites is disconcerting.

Why aren't Xbox one games charting but the system is?

Are people buying it for the TV features?

Scalpers going to scalp. If there is going to be a system this fall that will have demand, no matter how big or small, and will have tight supply it is a Xbone. So it is the perfect system to scalp, it's also a dangerous one considering no one may be interested in it after launch and demand could plummet. Still scalpers tried to scalp the Wii U. Between scalpers and actual conusmers buying the systems these systems are going to sell out. The problem for MS is that their supply will be nowhere near Sony's it seems.

Chittagong

Gold Member

It's true, I have a stupid amount of games pre-ordered for PS4. It's definitely the best launch lineup I have ever seen

- Killzone
- Call of Duty Ghosts
- Battlefield 4
- Watch Dogs
- Assassins Creed IV
- Drive Club
- Knack

This stands up to pretty much any console launch, that many next gen versions of huge franchises have never launched day one on next gen like this. As a comparison, best we got with 360 was a Call of Duty 2 next gen.

It's true, I have a stupid amount of games pre-ordered for PS4. It's definitely the best launch lineup I have ever seen

- Killzone
- Call of Duty Ghosts
- Battlefield 4
- Watch Dogs
- Assassins Creed IV
- Drive Club
- Knack

This stands up to pretty much any console launch, that many next gen versions of huge franchises have never launched day one on next gen like this. As a comparison, best we got with 360 was a Call of Duty 2 next gen.

I think it's because this gen went on for so long.

Devs and publishers have been itching for new consoles.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Honestly I think MS realizes they are going to have to rely on US and UK to get them through this gen so don't be surprised if Xbone still outsells PS4 in US and UK due to fans of the 360 getting hyped. It's the sustained sales after the holiday season we need to watch.

abic

Banned
..........because it's not included. Which makes the PS4 price $459.99.

No, the Playstation 4 price is 399. The cost of an additional Eye that is optional and unnecessary for the system to work is ~60.

There is nothing difficult to understand about this.

Stop spinning facts to fit your agenda

Honestly I think MS realizes they are going to have to rely on US and UK to get them through this gen so don't be surprised if Xbone still outsells PS4 in US and UK due to fans of the 360 getting hyped. It's the sustained sales after the holiday season we need to watch.

Have you not been paying attention to the TRUTHFACT thread, as well as other supporting information? Even if there was no backlash, they wouldn't be able to beat the PS4 anywhere in the world, because they have supply issues.

That's probably why they felt they could go with the $499 price. Expect this price to drop next E3, when these issues should be sorted out.

abic

Banned
This.

Ultimately if the Playstation 4 can attain a similar install base advantage in the USA like what 360 did that would be good enough. Preferably an even bigger margin so the anti DRM message is stronger to the industry but I'd like Microsoft to stay alive.

Have you not been paying attention to the TRUTHFACT thread, as well as other supporting information? Even if there was no backlash, they wouldn't be able to beat the PS4 anywhere in the world, because they have supply issues.

That's probably why they felt they could go with the $499 price. Expect this price to drop next E3, when these issues should be sorted out.

By then the damage is already done and Sony will be pimping Santa Monica's and Naughty Dog's games for the coming holiday.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
If nothing else, excitingly, the sale of all this next-gen stuff pisses on the WiiU Sour Grapes Brigade that have been doomsaying next-gen will experience "even shittier" sales for months.

Even if its seemingly very slanted to PS4 right now, the consumer excitement for true next-gen is palpable :D

By then the damage is already done and Sony will be pimping Santa Monica's and Naughty Dog's games for the coming holiday.

Absolutely possible. Even more important is the effect of PS4 having built up a large user base by then, which will lead to more success as these platforms tend to spread virally, as people buy the platforms where their friends are playing.

In fact, I hope this will happen, due to Xbone's horrible policies.

But it is a bit awkward to make up your opinion on all this. I want Xbone to fail because of its practices, but at the same time, competition is good for the industry, and the pressure from Microsoft is what got Sony back on track.

PaulLFC

The best part is Xbone bought the big background advert space on the homepage;
http://i.imgur.com/obualDKl.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Yep. It's been like that since the Xbone reveal too I think, and still it's getting outsold. Until yesterday there weren't even any Xbone games in the top ten chart, which is crazy.

Don't sell the goose before the horse etc. Todays PS3 network is a slow piece of shit. I'll praise the PS4 when it has proven itself.

GodofWine

PS4 is now the #1 &#2 most wished for item on amazon. I know this mean fuck all nothing but it was until now the xb1s only place where it was top ranked.

Nokterian

I know right its disgusting other people might be excited for something I'm not.

Someone from my work on facebook. Has pre ordered a Xbone. Sure it is his choice but damn i couldn't hold my self to tell you are just giving up your consumer rights to him. I cannot believe people are doing this by just saying "Oh i do not buy used games or sell them or give them to others" etc. Also posting this dumb picture in the process. I have Xbox and the 360 but i am done with microsoft,just done on how they abuse consumers rights and a lot of people just do not see this.

Disclaimer : This is not made by me saw this in my facebook timeline and how ridicilous this is

xboneps4l1rx9.jpg

1_i_dont_want_to_liveudqux.jpg

Orca

How would PS4 be better for digital games? You wouldn't be able to sell or lend either one, and the family sharing - assuming it actually works like we expect now - seems like an advantage for the Xbox side of things.

Someone from my work on facebook. Has pre ordered a Xbone. Sure it is his choice but damn i couldn't hold my self to tell you are just giving up your consumer rights to him. I cannot believe people are doing this by just saying "Oh i do not buy used games or sell them or give them to others" etc. Also posting this dumb picture in the process. I have Xbox and the 360 but i am done with microsoft,just done on how they abuse consumers rights and a lot of people just do not see this.

Disclaimer : This is not made by me saw this in my facebook timeline and how ridicilous this is

1_i_dont_want_to_liveudqux.jpg
How does the XBox get a thumbs up for being a console, but the PS4 gets a thumbs down? Hahaha.

Amir0x

Banned
I wish someone would do an analysis over how accurate these lists tend to be on average in terms of predicting the general #1-#10 game products per month in NPD.

Scalpers don't buy games. Gamers do and are heavily favoring the PS4 right now.

Good point. Scalpers drove sales for Wii U throughout the holiday season, which is why software sales were so low. Scalpers also don't care about DRM.

I can see the samething happening with Xbox One.

Takuan

I'm all for laughing at Microsoft, but wouldn't pre-order allotments being much lower for the XBone explain this?

harSon

Banned
People are going to be disappointed if they're putting so much stock into these types of lists. At the beginning of last generation, people constantly looked towards retail top lists and user annecdotal evidence, and for the most part, it wasn't indicative of the actual market at all. We'll know how these consoles sold once hard data comes into the fold, and not a moment sooner.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I'm all for laughing at Microsoft, but wouldn't pre-order allotments being much lower for the XBone explain this?

It might if Amazon/Gamestop/Best Buy stopped taking X1 preorders. So far they haven't, online anyways.

People are going to be disappointed if they're putting so much stock into these types of lists. At the beginning of last generation, people constantly looked towards retail top lists and user annecdotal evidence, and for the most part, it wasn't indicative of the actual market at all. We'll know how these consoles sold once hard data comes into the fold, and not a moment sooner.

Maybe if it was one website, or a few anecdotal "my local Gamestop sold out of PS4s!" sure.

But this is multiple websites, and dozens if not a hundred people confirming the same thing about GS and other store preorders- allotments for PS4 are much higher than X1. Not to mention the confirmed yield problems.

harSon

Banned
Maybe if it was one website, or a few anecdotal "my local Gamestop sold out of PS4s!" sure.

But this is multiple websites, and dozens if not a hundred people confirming the same thing about GS and other store preorders- allotments for PS4 are much higher than X1. Not to mention the confirmed yield problems.

We had the same exact stuff happen at the beginning of last generation. People constantly referred to Amazon, Bestbuy and Gamestop's top sellers. We had weekly annecdote threads. They were almost always wrong. I'm not saying that the Playstation 4 isn't going to outsell the XB1, but using these sources as a validation for that opinion is completely misguided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom