• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OMFG! Goku Makaimura [Extreme Ghouls'n'Ghosts] VIDEO

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
very cool. the music and death soundfx brought back a lot of memories

WOW!!!!!!!!!! I may get a psp instead of a next gen console. This suer elooks more fun then what Nintendo trying to throw at gaming.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That kicks ass. PSP is REALLY taking off now. E3 was a bust for the machine, but TGS is more than making up for it.

xexex

Banned
I agree, TGS is totally wiping the floor with E3, which really sucked, outside of Zelda and a few other things.

Matlock

Banned
I was about to say "ok, so?" until I saw the four different armors with special abilities...I certainly don't remember that!

The big 3D boss was pretty cool, too. :D

xexex

Banned
1up has impressions

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3143799&did=1

by Sam Kennedy 09/16/2005

Call me crazy, but the game I was most eager to get my hands on at this Tokyo Game Show was Extreme Ghouls & Ghosts on the PSP -- partly because it's been so long since we've seen a new installment in the franchise, but mostly because it looks so darn good on the PSP.

The level on display (the first level of the game) was pretty typical Ghouls & Ghosts fare -- it took place in the now familiar graveyard setting and featured your typical ghoulish enemies. But it's worth noting that this is the first Ghouls & Ghosts installment where you can perform both the double jump and throw weapons vertically, making it the best controlling installment yet. Another element worth noting was the ability to transform into various other creatures in strategic locations by jumping into a pot of witches brew. For example, one could transform into a frog to make the giant leap over a lava pit.

Graphically, the game's a marvel on the crisp PSP screen. Enemies are really organic seeming, and spurt lots of guts when killed. Older installments also had this effect, but it's all much more animated and fluid now. Backgrounds are also very animated, and the demo ended with a massive boss that took up the entire top half of the screen.

In terms of weaponry, there were a few classics, such as the standard lance (obviously), a knife, and the holy water, but I also spotted a few new ones: sickels that can be thrown in rapid succession and a tri-shot crossbow.

Oh, and it must also be said that the demo at TGS was hard. Damn hard, actually. But I'm sure that's just what any true Ghouls & Ghost fan would want to hear.

Mrbob

Does someone know what type of multiplayer is in this game? Showed a couple scenes where the screen was split in 4.

Ironclad

That looks absolutley brilliant. Hearing the music and sound effects really brings back some memories. The 2.5 D graphics look gorgeous and most of the animation is top-notch. Can't freaking wait for this. TGS really brought the PSP into a new light. The flood gates have opened.

DCharlie

Banned
one of my disappointments of the show to be honest.

Controls were sloppy, level design was boring, some of the enemies looked cool but they didn't quite work (the glowing hands) , animation on Arthur was a little off and it didn't _feel_ like makaimura.

It was too generous with the armour too.

Level was fairly straight forward i thought - i lost my lives at the boss (1 life because i didn't see the hole in the middle of the level, and the others because it encages you and barfs blue sick on you, i didn't have enough time to figure out how to avoid getting trapped.

the other life i lost because there is a problem with the shooting. there is a bit of a delay when using the lance and although the arm action had completed in plenty of time the lance didn't appear and i got taken out.

You can seemingly CHOOSE to become different creatures as well - where as it was a punishment in previous Makaimura games, now it looks like an ability (Cricket, mad chicken).

Work is to be done IMO.

shit, i should be writting all this down elsewhere.

Gattsu25

Banned
DCharlie said:

Controls were sloppy, level design was boring, some of the enemies looked cool but they didn't quite work (the glowing hands) , animation on Arthur was a little off and it didn't _feel_ like makaimura.

Level was fairly straight forward i thought - i lost my lives at the boss (1 life because i didn't see the hole in the middle of the level, and the others because it encages you and barfs blue sick on you, i didn't have enough time to figure out how to avoid getting trapped.

the other life i lost because there is a problem with the shooting. there is a bit of a delay when using the lance and although the arm action had completed in plenty of time the lance didn't appear and i got taken out.

You can seemingly CHOOSE to become different creatures as well - where as it was a punishment in previous Makaimura games, now it looks like an ability (Cricket, mad chicken).

Work is to be done IMO.

1up.com said:
by Sam Kennedy 09/16/2005

Call me crazy, but the game I was most eager to get my hands on at this Tokyo Game Show was Extreme Ghouls & Ghosts on the PSP -- partly because it's been so long since we've seen a new installment in the franchise, but mostly because it looks so darn good on the PSP.

The level on display (the first level of the game) was pretty typical Ghouls & Ghosts fare -- it took place in the now familiar graveyard setting and featured your typical ghoulish enemies. But it's worth noting that this is the first Ghouls & Ghosts installment where you can perform both the double jump and throw weapons vertically, making it the best controlling installment yet. Another element worth noting was the ability to transform into various other creatures in strategic locations by jumping into a pot of witches brew. For example, one could transform into a frog to make the giant leap over a lava pit.

Graphically, the game's a marvel on the crisp PSP screen. Enemies are really organic seeming, and spurt lots of guts when killed. Older installments also had this effect, but it's all much more animated and fluid now. Backgrounds are also very animated, and the demo ended with a massive boss that took up the entire top half of the screen.

In terms of weaponry, there were a few classics, such as the standard lance (obviously), a knife, and the holy water, but I also spotted a few new ones: sickels that can be thrown in rapid succession and a tri-shot crossbow.

Oh, and it must also be said that the demo at TGS was hard. Damn hard, actually. But I'm sure that's just what any true Ghouls & Ghost fan would want to hear.
any more impressions?

Soul4ger

Sam Kennedy sez: PLEEZ DON'T HATE ME BECUZ I MADE AN ASS OF MYSELF WHEN PSP CAME OUT.

I say: Ghouls 'n Ghosts looks amazing. I can't wait. That boss looked way too cool.

While I'm not a big fan of the series, I will say that it uses some pretty dang nice effects. Come on Capcom, show us some DS owners some love. You too Namco.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
looks amazing. the visual style and even the animation are uncannily faithful to the classic games. obviously i can't judge the control response from videos, but makaimura has always felt distinctively "stiff," and that's something i'd like to see the psp version retain. can't wait for this. anyone know when it's supposed to come out?

Varian

drohne said:
looks amazing. the visual style and even the animation are uncannily faithful to the classic games. obviously i can't judge the control response from videos, but makaimura has always felt distinctively "stiff," and that's something i'd like to see the psp version retain. can't wait for this. anyone know when it's supposed to come out?
Did you miss the new animation when Arthur turns around? You see his butt en face for at least a quarter second.

Zer0

Banned
DCharlie said:

Work is to be done IMO.

its funny how you bash every psp game i u can u are so picky when u got a sony system or your hands....

john2kx

Zer0 said:
its funny how you bash every psp game i u can u are so picky when u got a sony system or your hands....

This is next to unintelligible.. what exactly are you trying to say?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
It definitely looks great, and they really nailed the "3D but 2D" look well, but I'll have to back DCharlie up on his sloppy controls evaluation. There's a strange delay between pressing the D-pad or a button and Arthur actually responding. It doesn't feel precise enough for a GnG game. I'm not referring to the traditional "stiffness" of the controls, I'm actually talking about a lack of reaction time on the part of the onscreen character, which is lethal in a GnG game. If they tighten that up, it will be all but perfect.

DCharlie

Banned
"its funny how you bash every psp game i u can u are so picky when u got a sony system or your hands...."

I love the PSP and what is more - i love the Makaimura series MASSIVELY.

I actually played it , and I was disappointed *shrugs shoulders* i don't like the changes, it doesn't FEEL like Makaimura, the tension is gone and the level design was boring.

I'm sure Capcom will sort it all out in the end.

I dunno - i don't see what i have to gain by saying this...

I'd be more worried about by Makaimura 744+ness if i said "oh it was amazing!" because i'm pretty sure most Makaimura die hards would play it and go "hmmm... it's not right.... DCharlie doesn't know what the hell he's talking about"

Zer0

Banned
DCharlie said:
I love the PSP and what is more - i love the Makaimura series MASSIVELY.

I actually played it , and I was disappointed *shrugs shoulders* i don't like the changes, it doesn't FEEL like Makaimura, the tension is gone and the level design was boring.

I'm sure Capcom will sort it all out in the end.

I dunno - i don't see what i have to gain by saying this...

I'd be more worried about by Makaimura 744+ness if i said "oh it was amazing!" because i'm pretty sure most Makaimura die hards would play it and go "hmmm... it's not right.... DCharlie doesn't know what the hell he's talking about"

ok i trust you dude,but its the third of psp games i wanted who gained bad impressions from u,winning eleven,katamary and now this.u have no heart :D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
His complaints with WE9 (involving loading and framerate) are completely null and void with UMD emulator, it seems. :p If you have a 1.50, don't worry...

Not that it applies to this or Katamari's problems...

Mihail

Banned
Zer0 said:
ok i trust you dude,but its the third of psp games i wanted who gained bad impressions from u,winning eleven,katamary and now this.u have no heart :D
Hmm... Katamari PSP does play pretty sloppy. Can we find someone else's opinion on G&G (specifically on the controls)?

This is one of my favorite series, so I would be pretty picky as well.

DCharlie

Banned
"ok i trust you dude,but its the third of psp games i wanted who gained bad impressions from u,winning eleven,katamary and now this.u have no heart"

hey , i didn't play Katamari! that was someone else! I have no idea what it's like!

Re: WE with loader - yeah, i tried and it makes quite a big difference (30-40 seconds vs 5 seconds load times! lol) . The game still screams disappointment though despite it loading quicker and having less slowdown (they were the least of it's problems IMO)

On the plus side, Monster Hunter PSP looked absolutely fantastic. Although not sure how much energy i've got to sit back through 200+ hours again.

Hmm... Katamari PSP does play pretty sloppy. Can we find someone else's opinion on G&G (specifically on the controls)?

I believe JohnTV had the same gripe re: controls

Top Bottom