• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official xbot turn in your jacket thread... redux edition

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
A few points of reference I'd like to make about today.

Metal Gear and DMC look great. The thing I think people are missing the boat on is that these aren't going to be launch day titles. It's almost like they are doing Sony's bidding to keep 360 hype at bay. They do a commendable job with that. We won't see these games until 2007 at the earilest. Now, with that said, I expect Xbox 360 games to look on par with these at that time. I know it's to get fanboy emotions flowing, but as gamers who should be level headed, you'd think they'd know better. If the PS3 and X360 launched side by side and MGS4 came out looking like that. I'm an Xbot and I'd shit myself. The thing is, they aren't.

HokieJoe

Pfft, no way dude.

The best Sony can do is half of my game purchases, and I’m still unsure of that. So for now, I’m still on the 360 bandwagon all the way.

Ben Sones

Mermandala said:
I already have cancer, can I carry it over to 360? Also, I'm pretty sure they will release an AIDS dongle at some point.

Some types of cancer will be supported at launch, and support for additional types will be added going forward. It is unknown if all types of cancer will be supported eventually, though.

White Man

Ben Sones said:
Some types of cancer will be supported at launch, and support for additional types will be added going forward. It is unknown if all types of cancer will be supported eventually, though.

I heard from a good source that the PS3 supports 8 cancers at once, but one is always disabled. Frankly, I'm more excited about that nVidia RSyphilisX card.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
White Man said:
I heard from a good source that the PS3 supports 8 cancers at once, but one is always disabled. Frankly, I'm more excited about that nVidia RSyphilisX card.

We should stop that analogy right there.. if we go much further, I fear for the outcome :lol

Agent Icebeezy said:
A few points of reference I'd like to make about today.

Metal Gear and DMC look great. The thing I think people are missing the boat on is that these aren't going to be launch day titles. It's almost like they are doing Sony's bidding to keep 360 hype at bay. They do a commendable job with that. We won't see these games until 2007 at the earilest.

Not to mention the DMC stuff has already been confirmed as a target render. Plus, the producer of the game has already said Dante is going to look radically different than what was shown today. I mean, what's the point of releasing that media then? :lol

teiresias

Sal Paradise Jr said:
Not to mention the DMC stuff has already been confirmed as a target render. Plus, the producer of the game has already said Dante is going to look radically different than what was shown today. I mean, what's the point of releasing that media then? :lol

Well, the guy reporting that that's the translation makes it more confusing, because "target render" tends to mean pre-rendered, but he says "target render running on PS3" so what the hell does that mean? An engine demo with preliminary art assets?

Vark

teiresias said:
Well, the guy reporting that that's the translation makes it more confusing, because "target render" tends to mean pre-rendered, but he says "target render running on PS3" so what the hell does that mean? An engine demo with preliminary art assets?

It means you don't have to worry about Pesky things like AI, game code, collision, audio, physics, input, state changes or anything thats you know, required to run a game.

It's just a rendering engine with some canned animations basically.

The hope is that when you add in the crap that makes the game actually a game, you don't have to start nerfing the art to get your framerate back.

The PS3 will easily hit the MGS4, DMC3 footage with a competent team. But then so won't the Xbox 360. The school of thought that somehow games coming out in 2 months are representative of all the Xbox360 is, is a joke when most games won't be using all 3 cores for a while.

MS made a fatal PR mistake this year. Showing actual games.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
MS made a fatal PR mistake this year. Showing actual games.
It is true.

Showing actual games isn't a problem, but showing them on unfinished hardware is.

What's worse is that all of the teaser material was quite a ways beyond what ended up being the reality.

They set people up...and then promptly let them all down. The method in which they chose to reveal the 360 was a mistake...and it shows.

Of course, with the launch coming up so quickly, they had almost no choice BUT to show games. PS3 is still down road, so they had an excuse (can't show games if there aren't any yet!), but 360 is very near.

SonnyBoy

dark10x said:
It is true.

Showing actual games isn't a problem, but showing them on unfinished hardware is.

What's worse is that all of the teaser material was quite a ways beyond what ended up being the reality.

They set people up...and then promptly let them all down. The method in which they chose to reveal the 360 was a mistake...and it shows.

Of course, with the launch coming up so quickly, they had almost no choice BUT to show games. PS3 is still down road, so they had an excuse (can't show games if there aren't any yet!), but 360 is very near.

I can't blame MS for what the developers are doing but the games that I want for the Xbox seem so lackluster. I dont get into the trolling but Madden and Tiger Woods both look like Xbox games in high rez. 360 has some killer apps coming out the door but nothing has made my jaw hit the floor.

I like at the characters in MGS4 and they have more detail than the DOA characters. That should NOT be the case.

terrene

Banned
Schafer said:
Get both and stop being such a moron.

928234_20050517_screen001.jpg

OMG so ugly!!!11
If that shot is realtime, then I'm the Queen of Sheba.

Say it with me. CG CUTSCENE. KTHX!

rastex

Banned
terrene said:
If that shot is realtime, then I'm the Queen of Sheba.

Say it with me. CG CUTSCENE. KTHX!

Uh... have you seen any of the footage on G4 or anything like that? It looks just like this, not as clean since this is a direct framebuffer shot and all of that, but that's what it looks like.

teiresias

The GOW screenshots are just embarrasing at this point, sure it's got a ton of shader effects and whatnot, but there really is no concept of "less is more" with alot of these western developed fps games anymore. Every shader effect imaginable is thrown at the screen without regard for how "over processed" it looks in the end.

*Not to mention the art.

Prine

Banned
I just got back from the gym. What happened? What did i miss? And why are non Xbots handing in their Xbot jackets??

Pimpwerx

Those saying the 360 can do MGS4 and DMC4 sure as fuck better not be the same ones who shouted that KZ3 was a CG trailer and impossible for next-gen. If you are, then STFU. There's plenty of "I fucking told you so" left in my gun. PEACE.

terrene

Banned
rastex said:
Uh... have you seen any of the footage on G4 or anything like that? It looks just like this, not as clean since this is a direct framebuffer shot and all of that, but that's what it looks like.
What you saw was a CG cutscene. I'm not saying those graphics aren't in the game. I'm saying that they are in the game, in a movie file that is played as a cutscene, a la Final Fantasy. Either that, or those are mega-renders with all the settings turned up a la Age of Empires III that turn out to be completely unattainable -- again a la AOE3.

Compare these two screenshots and tell me which one seems the most likely to actually happen:

kameo06.jpg

Keep in mind I'm not only getting a 360 at launch, but that I work for MS. :)

HokieJoe

terrene said:
What you saw was a CG cutscene. I'm not saying those graphics aren't in the game. I'm saying that they are in the game, in a movie file that is played as a cutscene, a la Final Fantasy. Either that, or those are mega-renders with all the settings turned up a la Age of Empires III that turn out to be completely unattainable -- again a la AOE3.

Compare these two screenshots and tell me which one seems the most likely:

kameo06.jpg

Keep in mind I'm not only getting a 360 at launch, but that I work for MS. :)

From the June, 2005/Issue 146 of GameInformer, page 48:

GameInformer said:
"Every screen on these pages is taken from actual gameplay, and is representative of what Gears of War honestly looks like.

Yes, the game is actually this gorgeous."

That is a verbatim quote FWIW.

BTW, this picture is in the mag:

terrene

Banned
Okay, enough bullshit.

These screens are from the HD trailer at www.gametrailers.com:

gow1.jpg

gow2.jpg

gow4.jpg

gow5.jpg

Oh my god! It's full of polygons!
</2001>

Now, is that good-looking? Sure! Next-Gen? Definitely! Must-buy? You bet!

But NOT THE SAME AS:

HokieJoe

terrene said:
Okay, enough bullshit.

gow1.jpg

gow2.jpg

gow3.jpg

gow4.jpg

gow5.jpg

Good-looking? Sure! Next-Gen? Definitely! Must-buy? You bet!

But NOT THE SAME AS:

Just telling you what GI said dude.

All of the pictures looked better than that. Perhaps what you just posted was from an earlier build.

Doube D

KingJ2002 said:
I dont get it...

We all know the xbox 360 is capable of acheving mgs 4 or dmc 4 graphics.

What's the big deal?

Oh we have no doubt the x360 could pull it off, in 4x SLI mode. But not the 1x360 box you will be purchasing, thats for sure. ;p

terrene

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
well, this thread calls for a re-use of this gif:

this thread =

idiot.gif

The flames began before the first word was posted. :lol
OMG!

WTF is happening to that guy!?

Edit: Ah, just figured out he was lighting the drink before he took a shot.

LOL

eso76

terrene said:
Okay, enough bullshit.

gow1.jpg

gow2.jpg

gow4.jpg

gow5.jpg

</2001>

But NOT THE SAME AS:

it's exactly the same graphics !
only slightly higher res and uncompresed since it's a direct grab and not a grab from a trailer.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Doube D said:
Oh we have no doubt the x360 could pull it off, in 4x SLI mode. But not the 1x360 box you will be purchasing, thats for sure. ;p

:lol :lol :lol :lol

This has been one funny day. The difference is, we are getting these 360 games in 2 months, you won't see DMC4 or MGS4 on your PS3 for at least 2 years. We are talking 2007 here. Chronologically, we've seen no game that comes out after Gears of War on the 360. That is a March 2006 title. So, assuming DMC4 and MGS4 are November 2007 titles, that is at least 18 months on anything we've seen thus far on the Xbox 360. This has been like for shock value. It's like it's purposeful. Sony HQ: Oh shit, Microsoft is gaining steam! Let's stop them by showing a game not due for 2 years, they will lap it up regardless. That is the thing that kills me about all of this. Are those graphics to be expected, yes. 2007 is a long way from now though, and the Xbox 360 will have displayed games that is in the same ballpark as what was shown today in that Famitsu mag

HokieJoe

Agent Icebeezy said:

This has been one funny day. The difference is, we are getting these 360 games in 2 months, you won't see DMC4 or MGS4 on your PS3 for at least 2 years. We are talking 2007 here. Chronologically, we've seen no game that comes out after Gears of War on the 360. That is a March 2006 title. So, assuming DMC4 and MGS4 are November 2007 titles, that is at least 18 months on anything we've seen thus far on the Xbox 360. This has been like for shock value. It's like it's purposeful. Sony HQ: Oh shit, Microsoft is gaining steam! Let's stop them by showing a game not due for 2 years, they will lap it up regardless. That is the thing that kills me about all of this. Are those graphics to be expected, yes. 2007 is a long way from now though, and the Xbox 360 will have displayed games that is in the same ballpark as what was shown today in that Famitsu mag

Shhh, Icebreezy.

Let them bask in some glory after the infamy of the Guerilla/KZ3 "realtime or CG" fiasco they suffered. :)

terrene

Banned
eso76 said:
it's exactly the same graphics !
only slightly higher res and uncompresed since it's a direct grab and not a grab from a trailer.
Uh, no. No, it's really not.

How many polygons are in the monster's fucking teeth alone?

hadareud

The Translator
Agent Icebeezy said:

common sense was really uncalled for

terrene said:
Okay, enough bullshit.

gow1.jpg

gow2.jpg

gow4.jpg

gow5.jpg

</2001>

But NOT THE SAME AS:

IAWTP!!!

oh...

wait...

you're saynig they don't look alike?

:lol :lol :lol

well, yeah the trailer screengrabs suffer from video compression artifacting, but other than that, not really...

terrene

Banned
Dude, I give up on you retards. That shot looks better than the fake PS3 shots that Sonys passing around. No polys in sight, no textures in sight, motion blurring, perfect lighting. Yeah, right, you'll guys'll have it all!

....For the 30 seconds that that cutscene lasts. Then it's back to this:

gow4.jpg

Top Bottom