• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Poster for "Dungeons & Dragons" upcoming film

Corpsepyre

Banned
Enjoyed this one a lot. A rollicking good time, with some fantastic action setpieces and decent humour that doesn't insult you at every turn. Hollywood needs more similar films, but it sucks this flopped hard.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I saw the movie twice and somehow missed this. More on the scene in the comments. Also, Tom Morello was the dwarf that got killed - he was playing a character of his from a D&D campaign.

So the story I heard for why Bobby is now a midget but adult brute is these kids NEVER ESCAPED so it's just them 40 years older.

Doesn't quite jive since the others aren't 60 but makes the eater egg a bit more tragic. Uni as a Clydesdale sized unicorn would have been dope as fuck though. Guess Shazam kinda did that already though.

Fbh

Finally watched it, though it was entertaining but nothing special. Didn't feel too different from an MCU movie to me, though I do think the humor was a bit smarter and it benefited from being a standalone story that didn't need to reference 40 previous movies and set up 20 new ones.

I have Paramount Plus because of Star Trek and I noticed the Dungeons and Dragons movie is available to watch.

But man, so many clips I've seen make this movie look so fucking awful. It really looks like it's some kind of MCU type of humor and I hate that.

I'm a huge fan of D&D and I've been playing for decades but I just can't get myself to watch this movie because it looks so terrible. I know people say it good but everything I seen from the humor to the special effects don't amuse me much.

I guess I got to force myself to watch it before I cancel my subscription again now that I've made it through Picard and Strange New Worlds except for episode 10.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I have Paramount Plus because of Star Trek and I noticed the Dungeons and Dragons movie is available to watch.

But man, so many clips I've seen make this movie look so fucking awful. It really looks like it's some kind of MCU type of humor and I hate that.

I'm a huge fan of D&D and I've been playing for decades but I just can't get myself to watch this movie because it looks so terrible. I know people say it good but everything I seen from the humor to the special effects don't amuse me much.

I guess I got to force myself to watch it before I cancel my subscription again now that I've made it through Picard and Strange New Worlds except for episode 10.
Do it, it's great! Get a bottle or two of your fav adult beverage, set aside the 2 hours, and just revel in the DnDness of it all.

The trailers may look like "so that just happened" and "are we doing this? we're doing this" Marvel type jokes but overall I'd compare it more to something like Futurama or Disenchantment type jokes.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member

I think it captures the spirit of playing the game. And is a fun adventure.

Movie has 90% RT score and 93% audience score what is there to be skeptical about exactly?
Well, just my personal tastes. It looks like it has a lot of MCU type of humor which turns me off. I'm going to give it a chance and watch it since I have Paramount Plus and all come back with what I thought about it.

I would like to see a Dungeons & Dragons with a more serious tone. Something more on the level of Lord of the Rings but taking place in one of the D&D worlds.

I think Dragonlance would make a great movie or series.

Last edited:

Doom85

Well, just my personal tastes. It looks like it has a lot of MCU type of humor which turns me off.

Honestly, and I’m not trying to single you out on this, but it feels like ANY humor in action movies and such these days is being written off as “MCU humor”. Which is just weird to me. There’s way more action movies/blockbusters that had humor than ones that are mostly serious even before the MCU.

Sorry, it’s just my breaking point was recently. I forget where I saw it, but some comment towards Netflix’s One Piece trailer about Zoro and Sanji bickering and Nami rolling her eyes at their behavior and the comment was all, “ugh, MCU humor.”

internet seriously GIF

……..Zoro and Sanji bickering and Nami being annoyed by them was a thing YEARS before the first Iron Man movie ever came out.

Sorry, I just feel ”MCU humor” is rapidly becoming a phrase so overused and often misused it’s losing all meaning. And it’s Dungeons and Dragons. Most people’s campaigns will be generally serious story-wise but will have plenty of the player’s characters bickering and engaging in shenanigans frequently regardless. Very rarely will an entire group be dead serious an entire campaign.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Well, just my personal tastes. It looks like it has a lot of MCU type of humor which turns me off. I'm going to give it a chance and watch it since I have Paramount Plus and all come back with what I thought about it.

I would like to see a Dungeons & Dragons with a more serious tone. Something more on the level of Lord of the Rings but taking place in one of the D&D worlds.

I think Dragonlance would make a great movie or series.
It is a lighthearted comedic adventure. I don’t think you get mad D&D appeal with a serious film. And most D&D sessions have always been lighthearted for me. But knowing what you want is important. The paladin character is excellent to me. You two would probably get along.

Top Bottom