• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Poster for "Dungeons & Dragons" upcoming film

Halcyon

Went and saw it last night. I absolutely loved it. Reminds me of GotG mixed with LotR and Borderlands DLC. Highly recommend.

Alcibiades

Saw it in IMAX Thursday. Fun movie with nice fantasy touches in the background all throughout the movie.

I don't play D&D and probably missed out on a lot of the references, not a big deal though.

The one thing that stood out for better or worse is that the humor is in line with the Marvel/Star Wars style. That said, I can't imagine it would have worked any other way when you consider the setting. D&D by its nature is a humorous good time (from my limited experience) so an LOTR-style tone wouldn't really fit the bill.

pramod

Banned
So I've been thinking about this movie some more (bad idea, since the more you think about it the more it falls apart), and realized it's not really a great "D&D" movie.
It's a great fun movie that has some D&D monsters and settings and humor thrown it, but that's about it.

First of all there's the obvious rule breaks that any D&D geek would notice right away. Like the Druid should only be able to shape change a few times a day, not whenever she wants to. Or a "novice" Sorcerer being able to cast/counter(?) the most powerful spells in the game like Reverse Gravity and Time Stop. In fact I think the crappy 2000s DnD movie handled this aspect better.

Also lots of other minor gripes ie that's not how Intellect Devourers work, you don't need to "sync" with magic items to use them, etc...I think the only things they pulled off really well were the Displacer Beast and the Mimic.

Complete lack of reference to Gods or other mythological beings. This is such a huge part of DnD, and it was completely left out, I mean even the Paladin never mentions his diety, he doesn't have any "holy" powers, and there are no clerics or priests at all in the movie. I guess they did it for China? Or to appease the Left? I dunno.

Also I really hate movies that just throw random names of things and places at you like "Harpers" etc nonstop with absolutely no context. That's not how "world building" works. And with an overstuffed setting like the Forgotten Realms, it just becomes meaningless after a while. I don't even know why they had to do this, since there'a already more than enough stuff in the movie to satisfy any D&D fan.

Last edited:
Saw it in IMAX Thursday. Fun movie with nice fantasy touches in the background all throughout the movie.

I don't play D&D and probably missed out on a lot of the references, not a big deal though.

The one thing that stood out for better or worse is that the humor is in line with the Marvel/Star Wars style. That said, I can't imagine it would have worked any other way when you consider the setting. D&D by its nature is a humorous good time (from my limited experience) so an LOTR-style tone wouldn't really fit the bill.
The movie takes place in the Forgotten Realms which is sort of a generic but colorful fantasy setting.

It really depends on the setting whether there's a humorous tone or not. Dragonlance, for instance, is closer to Lord of the Rings and it's seriousness and feeling and atmosphere. Dark Sun is a harsh Mad Max style setting. Ravenloft is gothic horror. Planescape is a colorful setting that probably would lend itself more to humor with it's lingo.

In fact, it looks like there's a Tiefling in the movie so I guess Planescape and the other planes exist here.

AJUMP23

Gold Member

The graveyard scene had me in stitches. Bradley Cooper's cameo caught me completely off-guard. Loved the one-shot chase sequence with all the transformations. Smiled at all the spot-on references.
I convinced myself it wasn’t him until I read later it was him. I was just like he would never do this movie.

ManaByte

Gold Member
So I've been thinking about this movie some more (bad idea, since the more you think about it the more it falls apart), and realized it's not really a great "D&D" movie.
It's a great fun movie that has some D&D monsters and settings and humor thrown it, but that's about it.

First of all there's the obvious rule breaks that any D&D geek would notice right away. Like the Druid should only be able to shape change a few times a day, not whenever she wants to. Or a "novice" Sorcerer being able to cast/counter(?) the most powerful spells in the game like Reverse Gravity and Time Stop. In fact I think the crappy 2000s DnD movie handled this aspect better.

Also lots of other minor gripes ie that's not how Intellect Devourers work, you don't need to "sync" with magic items to use them, etc...I think the only things they pulled off really well were the Displacer Beast and the Mimic.

Complete lack of reference to Gods or other mythological beings. This is such a huge part of DnD, and it was completely left out, I mean even the Paladin never mentions his diety, he doesn't have any "holy" powers, and there are no clerics or priests at all in the movie. I guess they did it for China? Or to appease the Left? I dunno.

Also I really hate movies that just throw random names of things and places at you like "Harpers" etc nonstop with absolutely no context. That's not how "world building" works. And with an overstuffed setting like the Forgotten Realms, it just becomes meaningless after a while. I don't even know why they had to do this, since there'a already more than enough stuff in the movie to satisfy any D&D fan.
This is for you.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I loved it. I COULD pick it apart a bit, especially the druid character who is probably the least developed but damn, she cute and a ginger so I'll let it slide.

I'm willing to accept their idea of magic item attunement because they used it to advance the sorcerer, this is good script writing. Same with the macguffin magic item at the end, it is used not just to erase a particular event for no reason, but to bring together THE ENTIRE NARRATIVE OF THE FILM, just brilliant.

That girl playing the daughter, does she ever age? She seems perpetually 11 in every film I've seen her in.

Pine was wonderful, that man is an acting treasure. I wish he had a real bardic moment, but I'll have to live with nox arcana as the best interpretation of a bard spellslinging tunes.

We need a spoiler thread, I don't want to ruin the jokes and sight gags. SO DAMN GOOD. And they did my man Bobby so dirty. Was the other group a play off Wulfgar, Cattie-Brie (another ginger erased?), and Bruenor? I feel like there were a lot more Easter eggs cut from the film.

DKehoe

Saw it earlier and really enjoyed it. Really fun adventure film that has a lot of respect for the source material and makes use of elements of the game (with a bit of wiggle room for rule of cool) but doesn't feel like they're just doing references for the sake of it. Hope it does well, although I wonder if being sandwiched between John Wick 4 and the Mario movie is going to squeeze it from both sides of the age divide.

JCK75

Just got back from seeing it..

I really didn't have any expectations for it at all but ended up really enjoying it. Wasn't sure what I thought about it until I realized I was having a really damn good time watching it.

pramod

Banned
I loved it. I COULD pick it apart a bit, especially the druid character who is probably the least developed but damn, she cute and a ginger so I'll let it slide.

I'm willing to accept their idea of magic item attunement because they used it to advance the sorcerer, this is good script writing. Same with the macguffin magic item at the end, it is used not just to erase a particular event for no reason, but to bring together THE ENTIRE NARRATIVE OF THE FILM, just brilliant.

That girl playing the daughter, does she ever age? She seems perpetually 11 in every film I've seen her in.

Pine was wonderful, that man is an acting treasure. I wish he had a real bardic moment, but I'll have to live with nox arcana as the best interpretation of a bard spellslinging tunes.

We need a spoiler thread, I don't want to ruin the jokes and sight gags. SO DAMN GOOD. And they did my man Bobby so dirty. Was the other group a play off Wulfgar, Cattie-Brie (another ginger erased?), and Bruenor? I feel like there were a lot more Easter eggs cut from the film.
The ginger Druid is at least 50% of what makes this movie great, the movie really takes off after she joins the party.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Is Chris Pine made a fool of as expected?
He is the butt of some jokes but is also the driving heart of the party. He never gets a real bardic moment but there are bits where you see him inspire the others.

I do wish they had circled back around and had the druid admit that "the planner" carried his own weight. That's about the only real criticism I have regarding the party dynamic, other than why the sorcerer, once he gets his confidence and presumably every lass in Neverwinter on speed dial, still thirsts for the druid. I'd have preferred her start pursuing him at the end as a closer.

HoodWinked

Holy shit this movie was excellent. There so much well done humor, really reminds of the kind of the classic adventure movies of the past doesn't make a mockery of the source the material but isn't too serious and tells multiple good lessons throughout the film.

It's so competently made and thoughtful, the special effects are great, even the fight choreography is shockingly good.

Forsythia

The movie was great fun, did not expect that at all, but the positive word of mouth made me check it out last night.

My knowledge of D&D is limited to the cartoon and the few videogames I've played, so I probably only got a few references. But I feel like you can watch this without any knowledge of D&D at all. It's a fun lighthearted fantasy movie, and it just works.

Surprisingly I wasn't annoyed by Michelle Rodriguez this time, kudos to her! The rest of the cast was good too!

pramod

Banned
Yeah i dunno how she did it but Michelles body transformation was nuts. I thought there was some CG involved but nope thats all her. She somehow turned into Gina Carano and pulled off all the fight scenes convincingly.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yeah i dunno how she did it but Michelles body transformation was nuts. I thought there was some CG involved but nope thats all her. She somehow turned into Gina Carano and pulled off all the fight scenes convincingly.
When has Michelle NOT been built like a brick shit house? She is the OG bruiser babe. I can probably count on one hand the number of actresses that put in gym time like she does.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Very surprised at how much I liked this movie. Lots of movies I see, they kinda get shelved away in my brain within 24 hours after watching them. This one has stuck with me for a couple of days, and I'm actually thinking about going to see it again this week.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Good movie. I was a dd fan as a teen, read lots of books and played the c64 games.

Power Pro

I saw this movie to kill time on Friday night, and I had a good time. I kinda zoned out during some of the fight scenes, but I thought the final act was fun with cool action. All the characters were well done, so hey it's nice to see they still make good fun movies like this movies still. The MCU has really made me worried recently we wouldn't get good writing in movies like this anymore.

I was never a DnD person growing up, I just never knew the people who played it, and as an adult, I could never find people to learn it with, so I've always been kinda lost within the franchise. The most exposure I had was someone I knew at work told me about some of the books 20 years ago, and I remember like Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance on PS2.

I've found myself curious to maybe explore some DnD fiction, and was wondering if anyone here thinks it's worth exploring some of the fiction? whether in written, or video game form.

pramod

Banned
I saw this movie to kill time on Friday night, and I had a good time. I kinda zoned out during some of the fight scenes, but I thought the final act was fun with cool action. All the characters were well done, so hey it's nice to see they still make good fun movies like this movies still. The MCU has really made me worried recently we wouldn't get good writing in movies like this anymore.

I was never a DnD person growing up, I just never knew the people who played it, and as an adult, I could never find people to learn it with, so I've always been kinda lost within the franchise. The most exposure I had was someone I knew at work told me about some of the books 20 years ago, and I remember like Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance on PS2.

I've found myself curious to maybe explore some DnD fiction, and was wondering if anyone here thinks it's worth exploring some of the fiction? whether in written, or video game form.
There's a ton of novels and other stuff based on the Forgotten Realms, but it's just my personal taste but I find that setting a bit too overstuffed and generic.

There's the Dragonlance novels if you want an epic trilogy similar to LOTR.

DKehoe

As a DM, I appreciated Xenk as a DMPC. Ive had many of my own Xenks in my time
I was saying to a friend afterwards that Xenk felt like either a DMPC or that a friend of one of the players joined in for one session and turned up 5 minutes before the session started with a character sheet that has suspiciously high stats.

Just to counter this - not an attack, but my opinions here:
1. it's a movie, not a game. It's okay if it bends the obnoxious rulesets here and there for storytelling.
2. The intellect devourers bit was a great joke. Worth it for the joke.
3. The Sync magic items was kind of an interesting idea, and worked with his character development.
4. Gods, well, not entirely necessary. They talk about clerics etc, but didn't want to get bogged down.
5. That is exactly WHY it works for people who aren't huge nerds who care about breaking rules. And it IS how good world building works. Read some Gene Wolfe. You do not need info dumps. That is BAD world building, IMO.

All the old R. A. Salvatore novels are a decent place to start. They introduce Drizzt Do'Urden, a Drow from Menzoberranzen, who is probably the most well known Forgotten Realms character.
The novels are all fantasy fluff, but I found them entertaining in a pulpy way when I read them years ago.
Try starting with Homeland in the Dark Elf Trilogy. It isn't the first Drizzt book, but the whole Trilogy is about his birth and escape from Drow society, and it gives a cool look into dark elven society and Lolth.

I saw it Saturday with some D&D party members, it was good. We had our campaign session afterwards and kept talking about it. The final boss battle was actually awesome, and there was a particular scene in the film that made me legitimately laugh out loud. I don't think I've laughed out loud at a movie in years.....

Chris Pine was great as always, but Michelle Rodriguez surprised me the most. I really liked her character, and she pretty much nailed the Barbarian archetype which isn't as easy as it sounds. The rest of the supporting cast was solid too and it was satisfying seeing all of their arcs and the party coming together.

It's simple, fun and enjoyable. I would like to see more of the D&D IP expanded onscreen now.

QSD

Bit late maybe but saw this movie and it's really good. It's not completely serious but if you take it as is, almost all of the humor works, the plot is good, characters are likeable, and even the sentimental moments were surprisingly heartfelt. Hugh Grant having a grand old time playing the bad guy, but my standout was Regé-Jean Page as paladin character which was pitch perfect as an insufferably earnest but highly skilled party member. Also for 80ies kids there was a cameo of the kids from the D&D cartoon in the arena scene. Go see it!

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I finally got to see this. I meant to go the week after it opened but stuff kept coming up.

Awesome movie. I can't wait for the 4K bluray so I can watch it at home. As someone who's been reading books set in the Forgotten Realms since I was eleven or twelve it was a procession of movie dreams come true in rapid fire. So many Easter eggs and lifts from canon, iconic monsters and symbols and name drops. So many things in general that were great in this film, but some of my favorites:
  • I always play a paladin, and I enjoy playing them as uncritical, humorless, relentless do-gooders. So the entire time Xenk was on screen I was loving it. I was thinking to myself "these writers get it!". The way he subtlety detected evil, or when he cast branding smite on his sword - c'mon, how cool was that entire scene?
  • My favorite Easter egg was probably when they were planning their heist and the painting they chose to cast the spell on was one of Volo. Sensible chuckle
  • The twelve year old in me was beaming when I got to see not only a displacer beast (wow) but also a gelatinous cube - at the same time no less
  • The fight scenes were surprisingly well choreographed. I think I liked Holga's second fight scene the most, when she started fighting and that thumping music with the tribal singing kicked in. That was bad ass
  • The pairing of Edgin and Holga as best friends was such a Dungeons & Dragons thing to do. One player picks a bard, and the other a barbarian berserker? It makes no sense, and that was exactly the point

Objectively I realize the movie had some flaws, but I don't care - 10/10, ★★★★★. Loved it. I think I may go see it again before it drops from theaters.

Edit: oh and Themberchaud, the fat dragon doing his fat dragon thing. Exactly as I always pictured him in my head.

Last edited:
Everything I keep hearing about this movie is that it is funny. I imagine it's funny in the MCU kind of way with the same kind of humor.

I'm a huge fan of the Forgotten Realms and Dungeons & Dragons in general so it bothers me this seems to be more of a comedy than anything else.

pramod

Banned
Everything I keep hearing about this movie is that it is funny. I imagine it's funny in the MCU kind of way with the same kind of humor.

I'm a huge fan of the Forgotten Realms and Dungeons & Dragons in general so it bothers me this seems to be more of a comedy than anything else.

These days I kinda realized that a true D&D movie probably wouldn't work without the humor.
I think you can't really take such an obviously game-based world as overstuffed with magic and monsters and other crazy shit like D&D and portray it seriously and with a straight face.

Last edited:
These days I kinda realized that a true D&D movie probably wouldn't work without the humor.
I think you can''t really take such an obviously game-based world as overstuffed with magic and monsters and other crazy shit like D&D and portray it seriously and with a straight face.
Yeah, I hear what you're saying but I want a serious movie that has a little humor but this sounds like it's mostly humor.

I suppose if it were Dragonlance, they would take it more seriously considering the setting and story behind it.

Edit: I wouldn't doubt they might make a Dragonlance streaming series at some point.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
A lot of the humor is sight gags and situational, not really the same kind of snark the MCU has these days. It's not a serious film but it has heart and is worth your attention.

pramod

Banned
Yeah, I hear what you're saying but I want a serious movie that has a little humor but this sounds like it's mostly humor.

I suppose if it were Dragonlance, they would take it more seriously considering the setting and story behind it.

Edit: I wouldn't doubt they might make a Dragonlance streaming series at some point.

Yeah I think a serious Dragonlance movie could work, since Dragonlance is a bit more "toned-down" setting of the D&D world. Sure there's still magic and monsters but it's not weird creatures and magic items oozing out of every nook and cranny of the world.

Last edited:

Esca

I really liked this movie and will get it in 4k. It didn't drag, it was light hearted, it all worked well together and had a feel good movie vibe. Most my knowledge of the ip is from video games (sadly only played real d&d a couple of times :( ) but I didn't feel lost and wanted to actually look up some things they did in the movie but can't remember. Like when they used the coin in the movie and it's name, I know it is a reference to an item in sure but would like to read about it

Doom85

I think you can't really take such an obviously game-based world as overstuffed with magic and monsters and other crazy shit like D&D and portray it seriously and with a straight face.

Plus very few games are run very seriously. Even if players try, dice rolls inevitably will betray at the most embarrassing times and even high level characters are not immune to this. You can run a badass wizard capable of blasting away enemy forces and horrendous beasts like it’s nothing, but then ask that same wizard to make an acrobatics check to see if they can jump a mere five feet and well…..

Hell, sometimes players will just make the worst calls due to lack of knowledge, assumptions, misunderstandings, etc. The beginning of the movie perfectly illustrates this:

Edgin obviously rolled pretty high on his Persuasion check to appeal to the council to release him and Holga from jail, not to mention is likely proficient in that skill (most Bard players will make it one of their proficiencies), hell he possibly got advantage on the roll due to a sympathetic backstory and compelling closing argument. But the DM fucked with them by having the one council member give a small grimace as he stamped their papers meaning the players feared the worst, and only at that point did the DM have Jarnathan arrive knowing delightfully the players would now go with their plan A. Sure enough, they do, and only after it’s too late does the DM have a council member yell that they actually had been pardoned.

michael fassbender perfection GIF

Top Bottom