• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Poster for "Dungeons & Dragons" upcoming film

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm curious how much those early screenings brought in.

I feel like this is a good proof of concept for a "new IP" such as it is and can be a template going forward. Quite frankly, they could have pared back a few scenes and saved a couple mill on CG effects and I don't think the film would have been worse off for it. Saving your CG money for effective punches instead of just spreading it all over the film in EVERY SHOT really needs to be a mantra in Hollywood these days (Black Adam and ShazamFotG both could have benefited from this advice).

Anyway, hopefully it does well enough in merch, rental, and however they calculate streaming to get some more films, I really enjoyed it.

Dithadder

I was hoping hugh grant would be even better than jeff goldblum in thor but sadly he did not come close although he had his moments. Michelle rodriguez was an unexpected treat.

In general after seeing the rotten tomatoes scores i was hoping/expecting for it to transcend the best of the marvel movies but it turned out to be almost as good as them. It didnt help that i sat directly underneath the deafening movie theater speakers.

The people i went with who are not so critical as me and who dont give a fuck about dnd really enjoyed themselves.

Jaybe

This movie was excellent. Funniest movie since Tropic Thunder imho. I just absolutely lost it laughing several times. May not have lit the box office on fire, but I think it will be a cult hit.

DKehoe

So was it actually good? I didn’t really read or hear anything bad, so it must be ok at least.

Yeh it’s definitely worth checking out. If you’re a fan of the game then it does a great job of capturing the feel of it. And if you’re not then it’s still a fun fantasy adventure film that you can go into without any prior knowledge and enjoy.

Wife and I saw it last week. Was brainless fun. We both had a good laugh in some moments. Very silly but very enjoyable. Also the bar at the cinema ran out of their house sparkling wine so she was getting champagne for the same price! What an evening

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Can a 6 year old enjoy this?

Some of the more subtle humor will probably go over their head. However, there's plenty of visual gags I think children of any age will laugh at, and the plot is not difficult at all to follow. Nothing terribly tragic happens, nothing worse than what your child has probably already seen in a Disney or Pixar movie, anyway.

I'm hearing from a lot of people that the movie is actually pretty funny. That really surprises me more than anything.
I haven't laughed out loud in a theater in like.....15 years. There was one scene in this movie where I laughed so hard tears came out of my face.

The movie is a solid 7/10 and an 8/10 for me as a D&D fan. If you enjoyed 90's movies like The Mummy, it's more in line with that type of humor/action/comedy than say current Marvel stuff imo.

Watched it recently and it was fantastic on the whole. I do believe the graveyard gag was a little overstretched as they kept on pushing it. Aside from that I found the movie to be a solid 7/8 and worthy of a sequel.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Watched it recently and it was fantastic on the whole. I do believe the graveyard gag was a little overstretched as they kept on pushing it. Aside from that I found the movie to be a solid 7/8 and worthy of a sequel.
Yeah, that scene is more of a metajoke about a dick DM overly interpreting interPLAYER discussion as interCHARACTER dialogue that true comedy, but I still liked it.

Yeah, that scene is more of a metajoke about a dick DM overly interpreting interPLAYER discussion as interCHARACTER dialogue that true comedy, but I still liked it.
Well it went over my head as I've never played Dungeons & Dragons. I do know the dungeon master is the one in charge of the session and it's their way or the highway. I just didn't like how it took them 5 graves to get the job done, are they that clueless?

I dunno, maybe it's me, I thought this movie was mediocre. Just ok at best.
giphy.gif

Melon Husk

Fun movie! Refreshingly funny. Tight editing. It was mostly action. A little too tight: I hoped they would have had at least one "setting up camp" scene to have some room to breathe. The relationships between our heroes wasn't developed as much as speed-run.

Casting was excellent. Chris Pine got range. He was just "a guy" in Star Trek 2009 but he's completely different in this one. Michelle Rodriguez was fierce and awesome as always, I'm scared of her now. Hugh Grant was not wasted in this film, they used him just right. I think the Paladin and the Tiefling and the Wizard deserved more screen time.

8/10, a rewatchable movie.
Turning the ship around and beating the "big bad" was unnecessary. I thought the movie could have ended right there as they sail away - the party was mostly chaotic neutral anyway, the paladin wasn't even on board!

Leaving the villain alive would have been

1. Typical for a D&D campaign
2. Great sequel-bait. Leaving an evil wizard and her undead army alive for a sequel would have upped the stakes appropriately.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I've only watched it halfway through but I am absolutely loving it. It's so much fun. Inventive setpieces, extremely funny, good action and just pure good time.
I didn't see this one in theater but if there is a sequel, I will be there day one.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I see it's available for streaming purchase but still no word on a release date for the 4K UHD steelbook. Cmon Paramount get on it.....

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
After they're done with Baldur's Gate 3, Larien should make Neverwinter Nights 3 and base it on this movie.

Doom85

Then again, I'd argue that everyone equally has goofy moments in the movie.

Doric, the druid, not so much, but Holga the barbarian definitely did.

Holga: Here’s an idea. What if we shoot an arrow with a letter attached to it through the window into her room?
Edgin: But the arrow might actually hit my daughter.
Holga: Then that’s a risk we’ll have to take.
(Edgin raises a major eyebrow at her)

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Doric, the druid, not so much, but Holga the barbarian definitely did.

Holga: Here’s an idea. What if we shoot an arrow with a letter attached to it through the window into her room?
Edgin: But the arrow might actually hit my daughter.
Holga: Then that’s a risk we’ll have to take.
(Edgin raises a major eyebrow at her)

Holga had several lines that closed out scenes on a humorous note. Great character.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Chris Pine is somewhat goofy, but it's endearing. Rege jean is one of the most suave dudes I've seen in a movie. And Justice Smith is kind of insecure, but is still likeable.

Frankly, I think this might be one of the most perfectly cast movies in decades. I mean Hugh Grant literally played "The literal idea of what people would think Hugh Grant would be like if he was a D&D villain" and it completely worked.

It pisses me off it probably won't get a sequel because it didn't make hundreds of millions in profit. But at least we got a good D&D movie.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Frankly, I think this might be one of the most perfectly cast movies in decades. I mean Hugh Grant literally played "The literal idea of what people would think Hugh Grant would be like if he was a D&D villain" and it completely worked.

It pisses me off it probably won't get a sequel because it didn't make hundreds of millions in profit. But at least we got a good D&D movie.
Indeed. Seeing Neverwinter in a big budget movie was worth it alone

Billbofet

Watched this with my son and had a great time. True wit and humor vs. MCUmor. A tad too long but I miss movies like this.

Top Bottom