• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

CloudNull

Banned
Can this connect to pc and allow me to play rift compatible games on steam? sorry for noob question. I want to play phasmophobia
Yes with the link cable or you can do it wirelessly using virtual desktop and the sidequest store front.

If you don’t want to use virtual desktop and side quest Oculus supposedly has an official wireless option in the pipeline. Release on this is still tbd.

sixamp

I'm picking my q2 64 , battery elite head strap and case up from Bestbuy on Tuesday, I can't wait. My link cables came yesterday so I'm all good to go.

What games will everyone be playing or what apps will be installed first?

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
What games will everyone be playing or what apps will be installed first?

Half-Life Alyx is the first game that I will buy. I have been putting off playing this on my Quest 1 and will be playing it wirelessly with Virtual Desktop.

October 22nd Population 1 comes out and that is my most anticipated game currently. Besides that I will probably pick up Walking Dead Saints and Sinners. I already own Beat Saber and will check out multiplayer and the improvements on all my older games.

diffusionx

Gold Member
How does Oculus Quest compare in terms of tracking to a proper Valve Index, HTC Vive, Oculus Rift w/ 3 sensors type room scale setup?

Half-Life Alyx is the first game that I will buy. I have been putting off playing this on my Quest 1 and will be playing it wirelessly with Virtual Desktop.

October 22nd Population 1 comes out and that is my most anticipated game currently. Besides that I will probably pick up Walking Dead Saints and Sinners. I already own Beat Saber and will check out multiplayer and the improvements on all my older games.

You should get Lone Echo and look at Asgard's Wrath as well. Generally considered 2 of the top VR games. Also for stupid fun, I love GORN.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
How does Oculus Quest compare in terms of tracking to a proper Valve Index, HTC Vive, Oculus Rift w/ 3 sensors type room scale setup?
I am getting mine on Tuesday but from what I have seen, it is comparable for the vast majority of use cases. In terms of stability and accuracy it's there. In terms of tracking volume for the hands, there are some limitations but it isn't a big deal in practice.

It's not gonna stay accurate if you reach behind your head for example, but it's good enough for Robo Racall-style "reach behind" gestures, which is all it needs to do. There's also a deadzone if you hold the controllers right up in front of your eyes, like an inch or two infront of the headset.

Are you not getting it day one then?

As for me, even though they have taken payment the Oculus website says "Processing for shipping". Maybe I won't get it day 1 either.

I'm brazilian, besides asinine taxes here (about same value as product itself), there's the shipping. And I didn't order day 1 from announcement. It's scheduled to arrive November 2nd.

Yeah, there is a spacer included you can use to make more room for glasses. There are also prescription inserts you can snap into the headset of you're feeling spendy.

the spacer was a great touch, just too bad it isn't coming with lens wiping cloth. So, you won't risk scratches from glasses, but scratches from wiping it with wrong cloth - psvr is the contrary Lol

Boneless

Yes with the link cable or you can do it wirelessly using virtual desktop and the sidequest store front.

If you don’t want to use virtual desktop and side quest Oculus supposedly has an official wireless option in the pipeline. Release on this is still tbd.

How is the lag with the virtual desktop?

Resenge

Ordered the minute pre orders were opened from the Oculus store, just got an email confirming shipping and delivery on wednesday :messenger_neutral:

WIsh I could cancel and order from Amazon as that would get here a day earlier on Tuesday, the official release date. I think I can even walk to my closest PC World store and buy it right now or at least tomorow. First world problems I guess but I have learned not to pre order from Oculus at least.

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
I am so jelly of all you getting your alerts. I am hitting f5 like mad on my order details page. Amazon better not let me down.

CloudNull

Banned
How is the lag with the virtual desktop?
Non-existent but my setup is ideal. I have my rig hardwired to my router and the headset connected to the 5ghtz network. My play area is in the same area as my router.

This is the reason that Oculus made VR Desktop remove this feature from the Oculus store version. They want the wireless settings to be more lenient for users and then they will bring it back. Don't be dismayed though, VR Desktop just broke over 200k downloads on Sidequest for this feature alone.

McCheese

Fuck sake, ordered direct from Oculus and it's not arriving until Wednesday, Amazon sent all my accessories this morning so those will arrive tomorrow. Thought I was doing them a favour cutting out the middle-man, won't make that mistake again.

DavidGzz

Games I got/will get:
beat saber
half life alyx
box vr
walking dead saints & sinners
skyrim
arizona sunshine
pistol whip
moss

Are all of those available with the wireless function or do you have to link up for some?

I am also a VR Virgin, OQ2 will be my first.

Anno Domini

Neo Member
Mine is arriving tomorrow, so excited for the upgrade from Quest 1. I wish now I would have ordered the battery pack case combo. I hope I don't have a similar regret for the 64gb version.

Anno Domini

Neo Member
Are all of those available with the wireless function or do you have to link up for some?

I am also a VR Virgin, OQ2 will be my first.

From my experience with Quest one all games worked wireless with Virtual Desktop for me. The hardest part was the set up.

You are in for a treat with those games, half life Alex, is such a masterpiece.

SF Kosmo

Mine will be arriving tomorrow evening. I'm getting it principally as an upgrade to my CV1 (which it might not really be until they update Link performance) and to take on the go.

SF Kosmo

Real impressed with Vader Immortal.
Yeah, it's a pretty shallow experience, but it makes an impression. The three episodes together are only like an hour and a half or two hours combined so they basically add up to a movie, but I dug it.

I also did the Secrets of the Empire experience at The Void, which felt similar in some ways but with all the cool location-based stuff so you could walk everywhere and touch stuff. It wouldn't surprise me if they shared some tech or assets.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Yeah, it's a pretty shallow experience, but it makes an impression. The three episodes together are only like an hour and a half or two hours combined so they basically add up to a movie, but I dug it.

I also did the Secrets of the Empire experience at The Void, which felt similar in some ways but with all the cool location-based stuff so you could walk everywhere and touch stuff. It wouldn't surprise me if they shared some tech or assets.

They did. Both were done by ILMxLAB which is at Walt Disney Imagineering. I went there and did the Avengers VOID experience. Hoping they do a at-home version like that.

CloudNull

Banned
Real impressed with Vader Immortal.
I only did episode 1 but it is my go to for showing people wireless VR. Easy for people who have never done VR.

When you want a break from the games install the app "Within" and watch this documentary: Zero Days VR

There are tons of great experiences in the Oculus store for free. I just discovered an app, Quill Theater, that has tons of interactive scenes that artist create. Its like being inside a massive gif with music.

Last edited:

.hacked

My 64gb shipped from Best Buy. I had a 256 preordered but last week changed to 64 just to save few $ since the new batch of games seem to be topping out at 5gig while most are under 2.

havent played much VR since I sold off my 1st Quest about 2 months into the pandemic for $$$

looking forward to playing Walking Dead Saints and Sinners and more Vacation Simulator since I didn’t get to play much of that before I sold my Quest.

Anyone have any other recommendation?

Until You Fall any good?

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
My 64gb shipped from Best Buy. I had a 256 preordered but last week changed to 64 just to save few $ since the new batch of games seem to be topping out at 5gig while most are under 2.

havent played much VR since I sold off my 1st Quest about 2 months into the pandemic for $$$

looking forward to playing Walking Dead Saints and Sinners and more Vacation Simulator since I didn’t get to play much of that before I sold my Quest.

Until You Fall any good?
Fallen doll

Will wait this one out, but will be entering VR again when they get eye tracking plus varifocal lenses into a future Quest.
It just feels so weird to me not being able to focus on far away or very near stuff.

Techies

Until You Fall any good?

It's really good

nemiroff

Gold Member
As a general VR enthusiast I'm excited to see you guys excited over the Quest (I pre-ordered a different tethered headset to be used only for flight sims and racing), it has a good momentum going for it. Good stuff. Would love to try one sometime, and will maybe buy one for the family later.

Will wait this one out, but will be entering VR again when they get eye tracking plus varifocal lenses into a future Quest.
It just feels so weird to me not being able to focus on far away or very near stuff.

I can focus my gaze on objects in my hand or beyond it at background stuff just fine.

I'm not sure eye-tracking will be needed now - performance benefits of foveated rendering seem to be less than what AI-assisted upscaling techniques are getting.

though gaze-selection and aim with futuristic weapons would still be cool

Wow, so all that varifocal research Oculus is doing is for naught.
You should mail that to then. Will save them millions.

don't be mad: I can focus on them because of 3D depth, but it's not like the background or close stuff get blurred when I do focus on each other as they do irl

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Managed to clear the work decks for the day early, so I’m now sat here twiddling my thumbs waiting for the Amazon guy to deliver my Oculus.

giphy.gif

psn

Had the rift s, now a Valve Index. Tracking is def better with lighthouse stations. Not only can you shoot behind your back accurately etc, but the tracking itself is faster and more accurate in all directions.

Beat saber is a good example. In faster songs you can feel the lag between two fast hits. And I often said to myself "that should've been a hit, where did it go?"
But that is just a problem in expert and expert+ imo. And with good timing you can still do it without any errors. But I am much more consistent in beat saber with the index. The rift s was more comfortable though and had much less lens glare. The perfect hmd doesn't exist yet.

Top Bottom