• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

sixamp

64GB is more than enough to hold at least 5 large games or a mix of 10+ games.... I would only go up to the 256 if you like having a huge library available at all times. I personally only play 2-3 titles at a time so the 64gb is fine.

Putting that extra $100 to the elite strap with additional battery will give you a much better experience
Bestbuy just got the battery strap instock so I'm picking up that and the 64gif next week

Apocryphon

Damnit now I have to decide keep the Quest 1 and get a Series X or just get a gaming PC so I can Virtual Desktop Alex and upgrade to Quest 3 in two years.

The thing is, I have seen people downplaying Alyx as nothing special, but I can't believe they have actually played it. It's impossible to understand from YouTube videos what it feels like to be standing in City 17.

Also... if you get a gaming PC you can still have Game Pass.

ManaByte

Gold Member
If it’s a very slow paced puzzle game sure.
Anything that needs fast input fails.

Well Avengers just tracks the hands. If you're thrusting one or both out at once or holding them in front of your face like a shield.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Well Avengers just tracks the hands. If you're thrusting one or both out at once or holding them in front of your face like a shield.
Your touch controllers use batteries for a reason. Faster tracking. Not trying to be a negative nancy here. But for hand tracking to be as good as controller tracking in speed! We need a little more time.

i spend plenty of time with hand tracking on quest 1. And the tech is crazy cool. But def not up to par.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I think the other idea they are promoting is that you don't need a screen.

It will be interesting to see if a movie or TV show finally look good enough / enough resolution, they looked bad on quest 1.

Resenge

Your touch controllers use batteries for a reason. Faster tracking. Not trying to be a negative nancy here. But for hand tracking to be as good as controller tracking in speed! We need a little more time.

i spend plenty of time with hand tracking on quest 1. And the tech is crazy cool. But def not up to par.
I agree, hand tracking is a cool toy but it's slow and too easy to lose tracking to be of any use. Another thing I personally don't like about hand tracking is I need something tangible to interact with, so you are right games need buttons or some form of controller imo.

Last edited:
I think the other idea they are promoting is that you don't need a screen.

It will be interesting to see if a movie or TV show finally look good enough / enough resolution, they looked bad on quest 1.

I grew up on CRT TVs and 80s movie theaters. They look about as blurry and nostalgic on psvr, so I guess I'm in for a treat on Quest 2...

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
I wonder if the Quest 2 will be a good upgrade to the original Oculus Rift to use it mainly hooked to a computer? I want to enjoy VR, but the screendoor effect and the blurriness in the OG is being a real hassle

Resenge

I wonder if the Quest 2 will be a good upgrade to the original Oculus Rift to use it mainly hooked to a computer? I want to enjoy VR, but the screendoor effect and the blurriness in the OG is being a real hassle
Definitely an upgrade to the CV1. Apart from the screen if your a connoisseur of blacks, tracking (which imo is impressive with inside out tracking) and refresh rate which will be the same as CV1 when they unlock, its an upgrade in every other respect.

You will see a big improvment in clarity compared to the CV1.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
God damn it, I’ve bought a Quest 2. Even with Zuckerberg’s creeping evil, I’ve been unable to resist the lure of wireless VR. And as I couldn’t get a Series X on pre order, this is where my money has gone instead. I’ll be picking up Beat Saber again, along with Walking Dead S&S, Pistol Whip & maybe Until You Fall. Also sideload a few things like Pavlov, and set up the wireless PC VR for stuff like Gorn, which will run on my laptop. There’s an awful lot on offer with this thing..,

Shakka43

Bestbuy just got the battery strap instock so I'm picking up that and the 64gif next week
When I went to check it was already sold out, luckily Walmart still has it for pre-order. I already had the elite strap without battery pre-ordered on amazon so had to cancel that.
Now I'll be receiving the Quest 2 from Best Buy, the Strap from Walmart and the Link cable from Amazon.

sixamp

When I went to check it was already sold out, luckily Walmart still has it for pre-order. I already had the elite strap without battery pre-ordered on amazon so had to cancel that.
Now I'll be receiving the Quest 2 from Best Buy, the Strap from Walmart and the Link cable from Amazon.
Yea the battery strap has been sold out and then came back in for a day. I'm picking both up on the 13th. I have to figure everything out with getting steam to work. I wanna play phasmophbia in vr

ManaByte

Gold Member
Amazon wouldn't give me a ship date for my 64GB pre-order. So I cancelled it and upgraded to the 256GB model to have it on Tuesday.

Amazon wouldn't give me a ship date for my 64GB pre-order. So I cancelled it and upgraded to the 256GB model to have it on Tuesday.

same here, but I'm patient

however, I think they will cancel once they realize how much conversion rate has increased here in Brazil ever since - I had opted for dollar value at the day of order

mind-blowing that Quest 2 got better zombie models, better textures and resolution than psvr. Jaguar is really a piece a steaming crap...

I still haven't played the dlc The Damned, so I guess this will be one of the first I'm checking out, if only Amazon collaborates...

n0razi

Im looking for a short (half foot or less) USB-C extension cable to leave plugged in to the Quest 2 so it can take the grunt of the wear from constant connect/disconnect of the charger and link cables. The only one I see on Amazon has a review that says it doesnt work. Anyone have any experience with one that works?

Shakka43

Im looking for a short (half foot or less) USB-C extension cable to leave plugged in to the Quest 2 so it can take the grunt of the wear from constant connect/disconnect of the charger and link cables. The only one I see on Amazon has a review that says it doesnt work. Anyone have any experience with one that works?
Wouldn't one of these be better for the purpose you want to use it? Not sure if they'll work but I can try and check once I get my OQ2.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
I just talked to two irl friends that preordered the quest 2. This will be their first time in vr. I think the Quest 2 is going to do yuuuuuuuuuge numbers.
I know two people buying one who have never had VR before. Both gamers. Both buying due to price and game selection. 299 is a super aggressive price. Maybe a game changer.
It's my case as well. Hopefully I won't puke on my first playthrough 😂

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Amazon pre orders look extremely healthy. Number 1 on Amazon UK, and number 9 on Amazon US, only behind digital cards and some Switch stuff.

SketchyGamerMan

Neo Member
I just talked to two irl friends that preordered the quest 2. This will be their first time in vr. I think the Quest 2 is going to do yuuuuuuuuuge numbers.

Ive almost convinced my whole family and 1 friend. That's only because they've seen my PC headset. The biggest barrier for VR is that it has been confined to our PCs. The Quest is the first headset to change that, but I think the Quest 2 hits all the notes that the Quest 1 should have.

And yes I know we had Gear VR and Google cardboard, but those experiences were severely lacking in comparison to what we have now. The fact that we have PCVR experiences running on mobile hardware means the technology is at a point where it's really viable for mainstream adoption.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm super excited to get this. I've never tried wireless VR before and imagine it's going to be a game changer not having to deal with cables.

With that said, any idea how this will work as a PC headset? I've got a Rift (launch unit), but does the Quest 2 compare favorably? I'm thinking about selling the Rift or giving it to a friend.

SketchyGamerMan

Neo Member
I'm super excited to get this. I've never tried wireless VR before and imagine it's going to be a game changer not having to deal with cables.

With that said, any idea how this will work as a PC headset? I've got a Rift (launch unit), but does the Quest 2 compare favorably? I'm thinking about selling the Rift or giving it to a friend.

We still don't know what the Quest Link will be like out of beta, but we do know thanks to Virtual Desktop that it is possible to output higher resolution video to the headset to take advantage of. It can also run at 90hz wirelessly. Unfortunately Facebook is going to force Virtual Desktop to remove the feature after launch and will allow the developer(s) to re-enable it later.

If the Quest 2 can do all of that wireless then I would expect no less from Quest Link out of beta. It should be a big step up from the Rift and even Rift S if it can take advantage of the resolution of the headset.

Last edited:

Resenge

when mine arrives they will hopefully have fixed many day 1 issues that often occur
Are you not getting it day one then?

As for me, even though they have taken payment the Oculus website says "Processing for shipping". Maybe I won't get it day 1 either.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Excited to hear impressions from you guys, especially regarding the 3 fixed IPD settings. I think I fall very close to the middle one, but this is still a bit concerning.

n0razi

Wouldn't one of these be better for the purpose you want to use it? Not sure if they'll work but I can try and check once I get my OQ2.

Couple of issues with the one you posted...

- An adapter adds extra weight directly to the port vs a short extension which kind of defeats the purpose of trying to prolong the life of the port
- the angle of the adapter is wrong; you want the 90-degree angle to be along the horizontal edge similar to the Oculus branded cable so you can route it back along the strap (and add velcro/tie to further support the weight away from the port itself (see below)

lGnP37e.jpg

Basically, I want just the part in the RED BOX to be permanently attached to the Quest 2 and have an open USB-C port where the BLUE CIRCLE is.... that part will take the grunt of the wear and tear and I can just change the extension part if it ever wears out or gets damaged. For 90% of people, using a regular old USB-C cable shouldnt be an issue but for someone who plans on regularly swapping from a charging cable to Oculus Link and also having possible strain when moving around while connected to the PC, you want to have as little pressure on the built in USB-C port as possible to prolong its life since it cant be replaced if damaged. I have seen USB-C ports on smartphones and Macbooks become useless over time and use.
uty1gj0.jpg

Last edited:

Romulus

mind-blowing that Quest 2 got better zombie models, better textures and resolution than psvr. Jaguar is really a piece a steaming crap...

I still haven't played the dlc The Damned, so I guess this will be one of the first I'm checking out, if only Amazon collaborates...

That's a massive improvement.

Calverz

Gold Member
Can this connect to pc and allow me to play rift compatible games on steam? sorry for noob question. I want to play phasmophobia

Resenge

- An adapter adds extra weight directly to the port vs a short extension which kind of defeats the purpose of trying to prolong the life of the port
- the angle of the adapter is wrong; you want the 90-degree angle to be along the horizontal edge similar to the Oculus branded cable so you can route it back along the strap (and add velcro/tie to further support the weight away from the port itself (see below)

lGnP37e.jpg

Basically, I want just the part in the RED BOX to be permanently attached to the Quest 2 and have an open USB-C port where the BLUE CIRCLE is.... that part will take the grunt of the wear and tear and I can just change the extension part if it ever wears out or gets damaged. For 90% of people, using a regular old USB-C cable shouldnt be an issue but for someone who plans on regularly swapping from a charging cable to Oculus Link and also having possible strain when moving around while connected to the PC, you want to have as little pressure on the built in USB-C port as possible to prolong its life since it cant be replaced if damaged. I have seen USB-C ports on smartphones and Macbooks become useless over time and use.
uty1gj0.jpg
Looks like a good idea, I personally have a magnetic USB permanently attached to my Quest 1 and I used battery packs to keep it charged, although its a little long for what you need maybe theres something in that ballpark you can find?

I don't know if you are thinking of buying the Elite Strap with built in battery? that might change your positioning somewhat as that will be permanently connected to that port on the side for me and I will have to find a USB lead to connect to the Elite Strap battery on the back.

Quest-2-Elite-Battery-Strap.jpg

I am still looking for ideas on which lead to use as the USB port on the Elite Strap looks very close to the tightening dial and am worried the magnetic USB wont fit.

Last edited:

Shakka43

lGnP37e.jpg

uty1gj0.jpg
I see.
I'll try to use virtual desktop instead of Link as much as possible on mine though, and I ordered the headstrap with battery so that will occupy the type c port most of the time anyway.

n0razi

I don't know if you are thinking of buying the Elite Strap with built in battery? that might change your positioning somewhat as that will be permanently connected to that port on the side for me and I will have to find a USB lead to connect to the Elite Strap battery on the back.

I will get the Elite strap eventually (waiting for sale and stock) but from what I gather, it isnt compatible with Oculus Link pass through which is stupid as hell IMHO

MarkyG

Pre-ordered mine + the elite strap + link cable. Looking very promising for a 13th October ship date. This is going to be a great upgrade from my Rift CV1. Can't wait. :)

Last edited:

Hawk269

My Best Buy order for my Quest 2 (256gb), Elite Strap just moved to preparing for pick up. Can't wait! Had a Quest 1 that I liked, but seeing all the video's of how improved the image will be is what I am looking forward too the most. I also have a beast of a PC so can't wait to link that up!

Top Bottom