• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
My Quest 2 will arrive this monday alongside my RTX 3070 Ti. I still haven't purchased a link cable yet, nor a better head strap. I am also worried about damaging the lenses with my glasses. Is the glasses spacer included?

Also a friend who got his Quest 2 a couple months ago tried to connect to his PC to play Steam games but he said his games ran like in slow motion and there was unbearable delay in the motion controls. He gave up after that and now he's thinking about selling his Q2. Is SteamVR really that difficult/hassle to setup?
Fuck yeah, dude. That setup will rock for VR. Yes, Quest 2 comes with a glasses spacer in the box.

Air Link works quite good, especially concerning controller latency. I find it has more compression artifacts than Virtual Desktop, but it doesn't affect the fluidity of the stream, just the quality of visuals. For my setup I prefer Virtual Desktop. Even on Beat Saber at Ex+ difficulty with blocks just flying at you and the stage lights going off it stays crisp and beautiful.

Setting up Air Link or Virtual Desktop takes only about 10min, at most. Make sure to set the streamer and headset to 120Hz. Makes a big difference. Wireless at 120Hz has less latency than a link cable at 72Hz. I would also recommend having your PC on ethernet connection for optimal experience.

VR Desktop is $20 if you're interested...

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
alright, this is nice

(I think your Quest also needs to be in DEV Mode)

so tl;dr: some (actually many) Quest games are running in lower resolutions/refresh rates for some reason and with this you can override this.
puzzle bobble looks like ass, but with this it looks much sharper. also quickly tried zombieland and puzzling places and yeah, seems to work fine.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

This could be neat if they flesh it out as a game instead of this Pro bs that also requires their fake gun hardware or whatever. They also have a GAIM Compact.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Romulus Romulus

I picked up Resist tonight and played about an hour. Love swinging around a big city like Spider-Man. I'm doing the full freeroam/tilt-turn setup. I'm having a little trouble with swinging and shooting while navigating tight turns. I feel like when I use my left hand it kinda zig zags and I end up crashing into a building. Probably a result of being a noob and my brain crossing over Swarm muscle memory. Will I get to a point where I can swing, look around while aiming and shooting, and still navigate turns all at the same time. Or I am supposed to do the combat mainly on the bigger streets with lots of room to swing back and forth while fighting?

On a side note, sucking like I do really pushed my VR legs to the max. I didn't get sick, but it was heavy on my equilibrium spinning out and smashing into buildings.:messenger_dizzy:

Last edited:

Romulus

Romulus Romulus

I picked up Resist tonight and played about an hour. Love swinging around a big city like Spider-Man. I'm doing the full freeroam/tilt-turn setup. I'm having a little trouble with swinging and shooting while navigating tight turns. I feel like when I use my left hand it kinda zig zags and I end up crashing into a building. Probably a result of being a noob and my brain crossing over Swarm muscle memory. Will I get to a point where I can swing, look around while aiming and shooting, and still navigate turns all at the same time. Or I am supposed to do the combat mainly on the bigger streets with lots of room to swing back and forth while fighting?

On a side note, sucking like I do really pushed my VR legs to the max. I didn't get sick, but it was heavy on my equilibrium spinning out and smashing into buildings.:messenger_dizzy:

Great! Yeah its probably swarm throwing you off a bit. I acclimated after a couple tries but it wasn't instant. The combat does work in close quarters, but in the beginning its more difficult. Maybe stick to the more open areas at first. I would wager your second try will be much more fun I hope.

Alexios

I didn't watch the full hour long show above and I know at least some things included, like this, this & this, didn't get individual videos (yet at least?), so maybe some of these were in it too but I'm sure I've got at least some here that actually weren't 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Meowtor

Gold Member
Does anyone have recommendations for quest 2 head straps for larger heads? After an hour or two of use my forehead gets a little sore.

Wonko_C

Does anyone have recommendations for quest 2 head straps for larger heads? After an hour or two of use my forehead gets a little sore.
I'm in the same boat. I'll get the BoboVR M2, because it's similar to the PSVR design and I've heard good things about them.

Alexios

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Quest 2 Summer Sale started. Mostly 30% off deals. Thinking about getting Pistol Whip.

[/URL]
One does not think about getting pistol whip, they just buy it. It's one of the best games on the system. The art style really sells it. A very fun, casual arcade shooter. It's honestly fantastic.

I got Tetris, and it's pretty cool.

There's a few games I'm eyeing in this sale for sure.

Wonko_C

One does not think about getting pistol whip, they just buy it. It's one of the best games on the system. The art style really sells it. A very fun, casual arcade shooter. It's honestly fantastic.

I got Tetris, and it's pretty cool.

There's a few games I'm eyeing in this sale for sure.
I can't stand to play Tetris with an analog stick. Can the Quest 2 link to a standard controller so I can play it with a D-pad?

Meowtor

Gold Member
I'm in the same boat. I'll get the BoboVR M2, because it's similar to the PSVR design and I've heard good things about them.
Just ordered one with the battery pack. will post how it feels after i get it setup and worn in a bit. Thanks again for the recommendation!

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I can't stand to play Tetris with an analog stick. Can the Quest 2 link to a standard controller so I can play it with a D-pad?
No idea. I just played on beginner and it was fine. I understand your concern about it and thought I would feel the same, but it wasn't an issue for me. Just my 2 cents.

So when you guys have friends over what is your go to experiences to sell VR? I have found that the superhot demo always works. Later that night he tried thrill of the fight now he really wants one.

So when you guys have friends over what is your go to experiences to sell VR? I have found that the superhot demo always works. Later that night he tried thrill of the fight now he really wants one.
Yeah superhot is good for sure, pistol whip is also a good choice. If it’s a one on one environment eleven table tennis is a different option that’s not as action packed but sells the promise of virtual reality. It’s easy on the inner ear and most people understand ping pong already, so there’s very little learning curve.

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Sakura

Is there any way to watch VR Youtube videos via the PC?
I really hate the Quest Youtube app, and I can't wifi to my PC.
I just want to plug the Quest into the PC via oculus link, and watch some VR Youtube videos, but for reasons beyond me, Youtube does not allow any VR playback unless you are using one of their specific apps.

Stitch

Gold Member
Install Wolvic Browser on your Quest. It's basically Firefox, so it comes with Ublock and other neat things.

Not sure why it doesn't work over link!? It should... but Link is pretty dumb so I'm using Virtual Desktop 🤷‍♂️

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:
Top Bottom