• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

Tygeezy

The issue was the amount of things that could go wrong. Like using Wifi5 instead of 6 or even worse Wifi4. Oculus themselves will probably do wireless natively in one of updates though i expect it to come with Quest3 instead of 2. making money and all of that.
Wifi 5 works just as well as wifi 6 for virtual desktop. You don’t want to be using 2.4 ghz though.

take a look at that graph. You can see when it launched on psvr and all the usual holiday peeks

it's amazing that Superhot is a poster child of VR, made much more success in VR and yet the devs don't really care for VR. go figure...

perkelson

Wifi 5 works just as well as wifi 6 for virtual desktop. You don’t want to be using 2.4 ghz though.

No it doesn't. For Wifi5 to work correctly you have to have topend router with multiple antenas, router to sit in same room as you play and have pretty clear channel from other interference.

I had Wifi5 router in my kitchen so i had effectively 2 walls separating me. Even with 5Ghz band only for Quest2 it was working ok 95% of time meaning that once in while i got severe lag, messed up picture etc. So like every 50-70 minutes.

I switched to Wifi6 router and literally not a single small issue, router is in same place. Wifi5 canwork but imho you should get close to wirelessstreaming unless you have wifi6 router.

Tygeezy

No it doesn't. For Wifi5 to work correctly you have to have topend router with multiple antenas, router to sit in same room as you play and have pretty clear channel from other interference.

I had Wifi5 router in my kitchen so i had effectively 2 walls separating me. Even with 5Ghz band only for Quest2 it was working ok 95% of time meaning that once in while i got severe lag, messed up picture etc. So like every 50-70 minutes.

I switched to Wifi6 router and literally not a single small issue, router is in same place. Wifi5 canwork but imho you should get close to wirelessstreaming unless you have wifi6 router.
Maybe your wifi 5 router has issues as a router itself and not the radio. I’m using a ubiquiti dream machine with wifi 5 radio and it works great. This has been discussed to death in the virtual desktop discord. Nobody believes wifi 6 gives an advantage over wifi 5 with all the testing that was done. Wifi 6e on the other hand it remains to be seen, but it should show an advantage due to being 6ghz. Wifi 6 is still on 5ghz.

perkelson

Wifi 6 is still on 5ghz.

Sorry but i literally provided you example with my own experience. I did see the difference.

Also Wifi6 is not about bandwidth or band it uses. It is about the way packets are structure, send and received. So if you have walls or neighbors with their shitty routers Wifi6 improves massively how wifi operates as it keeps shooting those packets in your quest2 direction instead of spread it all around and makes packed structured so they are much more secure against congestion or obstacle scrambling.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I picked up Waltz of the Wizard Ext. Ed. from the Oculus store. Kids love it. Just need plenty of space to play. It supports hand tracking that works most of the time.

Next I have my sights on either Gorn or Dash Dash World. I need a 50% off sale to help me along.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

Sorry but i literally provided you example with my own experience. I did see the difference.

Also Wifi6 is not about bandwidth or band it uses. It is about the way packets are structure, send and received. So if you have walls or neighbors with their shitty routers Wifi6 improves massively how wifi operates as it keeps shooting those packets in your quest2 direction instead of spread it all around and makes packed structured so they are much more secure against congestion or obstacle scrambling.
It's your own anecdotal experience. That's not enough to say wifi 6 has a clear advantage. They have compiled enough evidence on the discord to recommend wifi 5 routers with a bunch of people reporting their experiences including myself. I personally run at 30-40 ms which according to the creator of virtual desktop is the best you can hope for with my wifi 5 router.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I went back and made a video of Waltz of the Wizard using hand tracking. It worked pretty good. Although, I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to be doing to progress the game.

well, finally caved in and got VD for $14. Nice promotional code, oculus.

now all I need is to pray that my daughter lets me use her pc and that it and my wifi5 are good enough for Dirt Rally 2...

so many unknowns... and I bet fine tuning configs will still be the hardest part...

well, finally caved in and got VD for $14. Nice promotional code, oculus.

now all I need is to pray that my daughter lets me use her pc and that it and my wifi5 are good enough for Dirt Rally 2...

so many unknowns... and I bet fine tuning configs will still be the hardest part...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but unless your daughter has a seriously powerful PC it won't be good enough for that game....in VR.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but unless your daughter has a seriously powerful PC it won't be good enough for that game....in VR.

I imagined. I'm going even for potato mode if needed - well, it's working for Quest native games, right?

Anyway, can't really test with her around, and with covid it's hard for her to leave that hardware. At least I got my faithful PS4+PSVR+DR1

darthvargi

Lol. Oh well. Hope you remain unbanned for longer this time. 😂
I knew he must be back because the Quest thread is alive again. Really good to have him back.

On a more productive note, I've been playing Hyperdash. I had tried it on the original Quest early on and thought it was a poor man's Rigs game, but wow has it improved. It still has an e-sport feel but it's now like Rigs, Titanfall, and Overwatch had a baby. I really recommend it, but be forewarned it's surprisingly loaded with kids.

Buggy Loop

I always wondered about this : Is it not possible or would be more efficient to have the PC motherboard‘s WiFi 6 capabilities act as a hotspot for VR? Rather than PC->router->WiFi? Feels like an extra step. If PC is in same room, should be good?

LQX

I have been sitting on a Quest since Christmas because I'm unable to create a Facebook account....or rather I can but Facebook immediately disables it.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

I always wondered about this : Is it not possible or would be more efficient to have the PC motherboard‘s WiFi 6 capabilities act as a hotspot for VR? Rather than PC->router->WiFi? Feels like an extra step. If PC is in same room, should be good?
People haven’t reported good results with setting pc up as hotspot. It’s not a recommended setup.

Shakka43

I tried this with mine, the results weren't pretty at all.

Buggy Loop

Intel or Realtek chipset? Window drivers or Intel? I think there’s huge differences, can be 200MBs, can be 1.2GBs.
Anyway, I guess I’ll try it when I install my new motherboard, doesn’t cost anything to try.

darthvargi

I grabbed Crashlands out if the blue a few days ago. It's a must have game. I was sure I'd return it and figured the hype may be shilling but it really is awesome. It's very much a wave shooter but you never get a moment to relax. It's some of the most intense "survive 5 minutes" style of gameplay I've ever played.

Definitely recommend it but it is a tad bit pricey for a wave shooter in 2021. The closest intensity I could describe it as is the sewer in Brookhaven Experiment but you can fully move around in this.

almost 3 million VR headsets connected to steam, including a large portion being Quest 2 as expected:

combine those figures with Quest people without a pc and psvr players and generation 1 of consumer VR has been relatively successful for such a "expensive and gimmicky AF" technology

By 2022 as Apple enters the market, Sony releases psvr2, Valve a BCI headset and Oculus Quest 3 or 4, I hope figures above 10 million easily...

steady growth despite all ignorant hate and denial...

Romulus

almost 3 million VR headsets connected to steam, including a large portion being Quest 2 as expected:

combine those figures with Quest people without a pc and psvr players and generation 1 of consumer VR has been relatively successful for such a "expensive and gimmicky AF" technology

By 2022 as Apple enters the market, Sony releases psvr2, Valve a BCI headset and Oculus Quest 3 or 4, I hope figures above 10 million easily...

steady growth despite all ignorant hate and denial...

Its definitely game over for people wanting VR to fail. WAY too big companies involved at this point. Rockstar, Ubi, Bethesda, Sony, Valve etc. Its beyond the point of no return in terms of dying.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Tried out Yuzu through ShadowPC app running off the Quest 2 with Moga controller. It was a bit of a bitch to get going and it's not as smooth as running Yuzu on ShadowPC through another PC with wired connection, but it still works. If you have a decent PC and router, using Virtual Desktop and Yuzu with a Xbox One bluetooth paired to the headset is the way to go for Switch emulation.

I also loaded Super Retro 16 apk through SideQuest and added a bunch of SNES roms to the Quest 2. Same deal using the Moga controller. This worked great once I configured the pad layout. Gonna have to try out SNES9x, PPSSPP, and some other emus later tonight.

Quest 2 can do all sorts of wild shit you wouldn't necessarily think of as "conventional VR". I was VR naysayer at one point, but the Quest 2 really changed the game for me. I love having it.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Debating Quest 2 vs Reverb g2. Help me

Just my 2 cents: I would never have bought a VR headset if it was tethered only. Not only that, I wanted the standalone capability to be able to play games anywhere.

Now it depends on your usage, especially if you're primarily after high-end PCVR. Reverb G2 looks better from the video comparison I've seen, but somebody who has both would be able to give better perspective.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I still don't get all this stuff with access points and whatever.

Is there any way to get this working properly without buying a 5ghz router?
Do you have a wifi router that your VR capable PC is connected to via ethernet?

Last edited:

pr0cs

No question the G2 has the best screen but the tracking issues with the controllers would drive me nuts, and is the only thing that really drives me crazy when playing and the game loses tracking. If all you play are racing / flying sims (that you don't use hand controllers for) then the G2 would be a no brainer, but if you want to try all sorts of games then for the cost the G2 seems overpriced given the mixed bag tracking

Vlodril

No question the G2 has the best screen but the tracking issues with the controllers would drive me nuts, and is the only thing that really drives me crazy when playing and the game loses tracking. If all you play are racing / flying sims (that you don't use hand controllers for) then the G2 would be a no brainer, but if you want to try all sorts of games then for the cost the G2 seems overpriced given the mixed bag tracking

I haven't got any issues with the tracking and the screen is indeed really really good (very clean). It is a very temperamental Headset though. It takes a while to set up and every now and then there are issues you need to solve (not so many now but it took me a few hours to set it up).

It is much better comfort wise than the quest 2 (i got one and returned it because jesus quest 2 is really bad both with the default strap and the elite one).

Still hard to beat 300 and the ease of use of the quest 2..

I haven't got any issues with the tracking and the screen is indeed really really good (very clean). It is a very temperamental Headset though. It takes a while to set up and every now and then there are issues you need to solve (not so many now but it took me a few hours to set it up).

It is much better comfort wise than the quest 2 (i got one and returned it because jesus quest 2 is really bad both with the default strap and the elite one).

Still hard to beat 300 and the ease of use of the quest 2..
Gotcha. I don't know what ill end up playing the most. I doubt Ill be a racing sim guy. Def going to be into HL Alex and RE7 if the pc vr mod is good enough. I feel like for a first headset the quest 2 might be the one to get

here's a The Climb 2 review for Quest 2

a climbing minigame I don't really want to play by Crytek that makes me mad.

it makes me mad because:

1) it reminds me they never ported Crysis to VR, a game I'd actually want to play

and

2) it shows a motocross event, a genre of gaming I'd be wanting to play as well and that's entirely absent from the VR landscape too.

so, that's the VR scene in a nutshell, minigames I don't want to play, some good old ports and much expectation for games that never come...

Tygeezy

here's a The Climb 2 review for Quest 2

a climbing minigame I don't really want to play by Crytek that makes me mad.

it makes me mad because:

1) it reminds me they never ported Crysis to VR, a game I'd actually want to play

and

2) it shows a motocross event, a genre of gaming I'd be wanting to play as well and that's entirely absent from the VR landscape too.

so, that's the VR scene in a nutshell, minigames I don't want to play, some good old ports and much expectation for games that never come...

I suspect you will start to see more of these games with adoption of vr hardware going through the roof.

Synless

Booted up my quest for the first time in a while. I read Doom 3 was on here from the psvr thread... i don’t see it on the store. What am I missing?

Tygeezy

Booted up my quest for the first time in a while. I read Doom 3 was on here from the psvr thread... i don’t see it on the store. What am I missing?
You have to install it with sidequest. It's not going to show up on the store front for oculus.

TriSuit666

Banned
How long objectively does it take to get 'vr legs'?

I tried Elite Dangerous on Virtual Desktop, and while it's great, I felt like I was pulling zero G turns and it was horrible.

Not managing more than about 20-30 minutes before putting it down.

Last edited:
How long objectively does it take to get 'vr legs'?

I tried Elite Dangerous on Virtual Desktop, and while it's great, I felt like I was pulling zero G turns and it was horrible.

Not managing more than about 20-30 minutes before putting it down.

why would you think being in zero G would be a walk in the park?

short sessions until you can endure more. I was fine in a week or so over 3 years ago.

Top Bottom