• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

Buggy Loop

FINALLY received my 1 month old order of the Elite Strap with battery + carrying case.

Ok this is so much more comfortable. I'm wearing glasses and this alleviates so much pressure around the face and it stops the headset from always trying to go down by gravity, which was almost always off from my best vision center with the glasses.

Not sure how it is without battery, but yea, i think the battery makes a very good weight offset away from the headset. 100% recommend.

So you don't have a PC to use with your Quest 2?

That sucks.

I actually think the Quest 2 has a fairly sizeable library for games that run ON the Quest 2, but no doubt adding a PC and wireless connection opens up .... well, the entire library of VR gaming to the Quest 2, and at a resolution only beaten by the Reverb G2.

fun thread about my most recent attempt at pcvr gaming on Quest:

perkelson

This summary should be watched by anyone. Warning. Extreme dose of coping by one of Velve fanboys who litearlly runs Velve new network but he gives good review why Quest 2 is such game changer.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Tyler does nothing but bash Valve with bs that can't be proven one way or another but claims were "leaked" to him for clicks most of the time, then occasionally says something nice when he has a chance to get someone from Valve proper onboard for more clicks, Valve fanboy? Give me a break, lol.

I still remember when he presented a TF2 mod with complete lies about how the TF2 fanbase hates Valve and what they do with the game so they took it upon themselves to make some blatantly anti-Valve modification to fix the game and make it as it should be, causing the mod team a lot of grief. He rarely did better than that.
What? Downloading a game is not exclusive to pcvr gaming? What an odd way to try and bash pcvr.

Bizarre.
Come on, I'm sure he'll post an objective solid opinion next, I'm sure that PC is a well built and maintained beast too, it only takes many attempts for it to even boot so that sort of stable setup alongside his own know how and views is gonna be an 100% represenative of the medium experience everyone should take as gospel :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
fun thread about my most recent attempt at pcvr gaming on Quest:

???

Absolutely none of that really has anything at all to do with PCVR. You can download games on any platform. And sorry your daughter doesn't keep her drivers up to date?

You're a weird guy.

Maybe if you had your own PC then it would be up to date and have all the games you like already on it. That way it would be ready for you when you are.

Last edited:

Foilz

Banned
FINALLY received my 1 month old order of the Elite Strap with battery + carrying case.

Ok this is so much more comfortable. I'm wearing glasses and this alleviates so much pressure around the face and it stops the headset from always trying to go down by gravity, which was almost always off from my best vision center with the glasses.

Not sure how it is without battery, but yea, i think the battery makes a very good weight offset away from the headset. 100% recommend.
I recommend getting the VR cover face pads thing. It's so much better than the stock foam. The vr cover one has memory foam wrapped in a fake leather covering

What? Downloading a game is not exclusive to pcvr gaming? What an odd way to try and bash pcvr.

Bizarre.

just bashing pc gaming in general. It's always several layers of clunkiness.

and as I noted, steam downloads have a harder time than my psn downloads. Either their servers are horrid or the likes of Sony and Netflix pay ISPs for some traffic shaping in their favor.

Last edited:
anyway, here's something more worthwhile than pcvr, Castlevania mod for Doom is now available on QuestZDoom Launcher:

EtOpUNXXUAM1mn_

probably no 3D models of monsters and weapons and only head aim. Still nice!

edit: Just tested both Castlevania and Wolf3D, it's nice having them aboard. Very eerie being inside Castlevania - and it's quite faithful, despite maps sprawled horizontally rather than vertically, there's even some hard platforming. But performance is not great, which is weird for a mod for such an old game with sprites. Still way better than Pirate Doom, which runs pretty much in slideshow. Don't know what's going on there...

Wolf3D is sheer nostalgia (my first FPS in the 90s) and is running great. The environments are characteristically much less vertical than Doom and you kinda feel like you're a dwarf in dungeons - quite fitting for what the gameplay really is about...

great stuff. Quest is the best way to play classic Doom clones now

Last edited:

Tygeezy

just bashing pc gaming in general. It's always several layers of clunkiness.

and as I noted, steam downloads have a harder time than my psn downloads. Either their servers are horrid or the likes of Sony and Netflix pay ISPs for some traffic shaping in their favor.
It's the opposite for me. Steam maxes out my downsteam bandwidth and psn crawls at a snails pace.

let the pissing contest begin with undeniable sales and marketing penetration success for Quest 2:

even on steam (and missing many like me who treat it like a console and don't care for pcvr):

Foilz

Banned
anyway, here's something more worthwhile than pcvr, Castlevania mod for Doom is now available on QuestZDoom Launcher:

EtOpUNXXUAM1mn_

probably no 3D models of monsters and weapons and only head aim. Still nice!

edit: Just tested both Castlevania and Wolf3D, it's nice having them aboard. Very eerie being inside Castlevania - and it's quite faithful, despite maps sprawled horizontally rather than vertically, there's even some hard platforming. But performance is not great, which is weird for a mod for such an old game with sprites. Still way better than Pirate Doom, which runs pretty much in slideshow. Don't know what's going on there...

Wolf3D is sheer nostalgia (my first FPS in the 90s) and is running great. The environments are characteristically much less vertical than Doom and you kinda feel like you're a dwarf in dungeons - quite fitting for what the gameplay really is about...

great stuff. Quest is the best way to play classic Doom clones now
i installed doom 3, rtcw and castlevania today. this headset has paid for itself 50 times already. i love this thing

???

Absolutely none of that really has anything at all to do with PCVR. You can download games on any platform. And sorry your daughter doesn't keep her drivers up to date?

You're a weird guy.

Maybe if you had your own PC then it would be up to date and have all the games you like already on it. That way it would be ready for you when you are.
Namekuseijin's computer is as powerful as the Nintendo Switch. Also, it does not have the Sony logo on its case so it's a no go for him. Anyway, he has made up his mind about pcvr in general, so even Nasa's computer wouldn't make him happy.

Alexios

1 million in revenue (not even profit, as if 1 million can't be the dev cost of a tiny indie team) is like 50k sales @ $20, more for cheaper, less for more expensive, it will hardly make the average publisher care. The more popular rarities like Boneworks, Alyx, Beat Saber, Saints & Sinners, etc., naturally surpass that by millions of sales.

In the Wii days Nintendo hyped 3rd party million (copy) sellers to show they can sell alongside first party games and that (50m revenue for the average full price retail Wii game) was already a low bar in the '00s. Yet the chart tops out at the few 10+ million revenue titles for Facebook.

So, all those statistics mention the most popular top end stuff available yet they set the bar @ some super niche low budget flat gaming series/genre to pad the numbers. It's a start at best and nothing to any popular console/platform.

Edit: I wanted to list the first batch but links to App Lab games are broken here, I guess they have it region restricted. My country's not officially fully supported, but I'm in Europe, I get localized Oculus pages, I can use the official stores, just not the hardware store to ship stuff. Oh well, it will be flooded soon enough. Edit: it's fixed.

Last edited:

perkelson

The App Lab is not exactly like sidequest. Apps there still need some basic Oculus check for content policy. On sidequest there isn't anything like this.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i only use sidequest stuff on the quest 2
and pc VD stuff
not going to pay a fucking penny to FB

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So my Quest 1 arrived today and I had a shot of one of the dark games that Quest 2 struggles with (Vadar Immortal).

The difference is light and day. Folks that say the Q1 isn't that much darker than Q2 must have defective units. The black levels are absolute black.
Yes there is screen door but it's an upgrade on my old CV1.

Going to set up virtual desktop on it tonight and test some PC games.

faraany3k

Banned
Suggest me one absolute best VR experience for new commers and kids in my family without complex gameplay. I have all the hardcore experiences on PC. I want an untethered experience for my family.

faraany3k

Banned
I wasn't talking about you specifically. People tend to say "there are no games" then move the goalposts when they're proven wrong. It gets nowhere.

I only have a PSVR. I have about 40 games (I still haven't finished them all and if I'm honest like 5 of them were duds) with about 90 more on my wishlist and growing. I can't possibly buy them all, let alone play them.

My understanding is that most PSVR games are PC ports so judging from that if there isn't a lack of games on PSVR then much less so on PC.
I only had PSVR. Then I bought a Quest 2 and with already decent PC, my whole paradigm shifted. VR is on another level if you have a good PC.

I just wish we have bigger developers pushing for it a little more. 2D flat gaming is going to be history in next 10 years.

the king of VR casual gaming has sold 4 million copies:

the king of VR casual gaming has sold 4 million copies:

Namekuseijin got banned!? LOL what happened?

Alexios

So I'm reading that App Lab still lets developers sell their games with the same old 30% fee even though discoverability is zero outside their own marketing. I don't have confirmation on if they can also sell generated keys elsewhere without paying the fee as was the idea before the launch. Guess it's just like XBLIG if not. But with zero discoverability outside the dev's own makreting efforts since the games aren't discoverable on the store unless you have the full exact name to search for already or are given a link elsewhere. It's still a good thing but I was expecting it to be an even better thing before it launched. Oh well.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
App Lab is gonna be great! Finally no need to sideload from a PC, you'll get automatic updates, etc. Much better. I will probably not bother with SideQuest stuff that isn't available through App Lab going forward, so let's hope everything worth playing makes that transition.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

App Lab is gonna be great! Finally no need to sideload from a PC, you'll get automatic updates, etc. Much better. I will probably not bother with SideQuest stuff that isn't available through App Lab going forward, so let's hope everything worth playing makes that transition.
I doubt you will see ports like doom 3, quake 2 ect on the app lab though.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Namekuseijin got banned!? LOL what happened?
I doubt you will see ports like doom 3, quake 2 ect on the app lab though.
From the App Lab policy

Apps That Facilitate the Installation of Other Apps​

The Oculus Platform is intended to provide quality content designed to operate on Oculus devices. In order to safeguard the integrity of the Oculus Platform and promote a good user experience, apps cannot enable or facilitate any installation, distribution, download or access with respect to any other platform, app or game, or any content package or other add-on, plug-in or extension, except as expressly authorised by Oculus to you in writing.”

So yes. Unless the dev can submit a full game then it doesn’t look like something like Doom 3 would be allowed as you need to download additional content.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Im not sure if it does. I have my wifi 5 5ghz radio setup at 80 mhz and it works great with virtual desktop.
I am just asking as I consider 2 routers. asus rt-ax56u and 58u... the 2nd one is 50usd more and supports 160mhz... so probably wiser, more futureproof choice for wifi6 devices

Tygeezy

I am just asking as I consider 2 routers. asus rt-ax56u and 58u... the 2nd one is 50usd more and supports 160mhz... so probably wiser, more futureproof choice for wifi6 devices
Wifi 6 isn't much of an upgrade over 5. 6e is the true upgrade which will put out a 6ghz signal. I purchased a UniFI Dream Machine even though it only has wifi 5 because it was the best router in the price range. I'll add the 6e access point when they become available and when I have a device that supports it (quest 3)

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Picked up Project Cars 2 on the cheap and had a go with the VR. It seems unusually performance hungry for using 720p(I couldn't change this) and low settings. Still a bit choppy on 2060S. Maybe I'm missing something?

However, when it's smooth it's great feeling you can really feel the rush. Would love VR support in FH4.

Picked up Project Cars 2 on the cheap and had a go with the VR. It seems unusually performance hungry for using 720p(I couldn't change this) and low settings. Still a bit choppy on 2060S. Maybe I'm missing something?

However, when it's smooth it's great feeling you can really feel the rush. Would love VR support in FH4.

I think that some racing sims are just really hard to get the performance you need in VR.

For example, I have been trying to get Dirt 2 to run smooth and I'm having a hell of a time. I've got a 3900X and 1080ti and to get it locked at 72fps ( not 80 or 90 ) I have to turn all the settings to the absolute lowest. Then I have to have a race with no other AI on track, just me. And even at that point it's track specific if I can maintain 72fps or if it will dip lower. The resolution is proper though, I think. It's higher than the Quest 2 display resolution but I think you're supposed to always supersample to 1.4 in VR. Did I mention my 1080ti is overclocked too lol.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I think that some racing sims are just really hard to get the performance you need in VR.

For example, I have been trying to get Dirt 2 to run smooth and I'm having a hell of a time. I've got a 3900X and 1080ti and to get it locked at 72fps ( not 80 or 90 ) I have to turn all the settings to the absolute lowest. Then I have to have a race with no other AI on track, just me. And even at that point it's track specific if I can maintain 72fps or if it will dip lower. The resolution is proper though, I think. It's higher than the Quest 2 display resolution but I think you're supposed to always supersample to 1.4 in VR. Did I mention my 1080ti is overclocked too lol.
Damn, I didn't realize that. I've been reading on PC2 and it is extremely performance heavy in VR. I had a positive experience with FS2020, so I was excited to try a racing game. Redout(like WipeOut?) demo just finished downloading so hopefully this will satisfy the need for a speed rush in cockpit view.

cyberheater

There is a guy on YouTube who is really into his VR racing sims and he said the same. Basically the Quest 2 is really high resolution and to drive that smoothly you‘ll need to dial back the settings even on a high end GPU. Probably there are racing sims that a RTX 3090 would struggle with running at ultra settings at full resolution at 90hz.

Top Bottom