• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

Tygeezy

Yeah I've tried verything I can so far. I've watched videos about optimizing Virtual Desktop and because of them I was able to reduce my latency but these random and fairly frequent micro stutters just won't go away.

I've tried Slice on and off, boost clock on and off, played with the bitrate, put it on H.264 etc .... I've tried all the things :)

But I've got an old router that even causes problems ( I think ) on my weekend Civ 6 LAN games.

And tons of people report that buying a new router fixes their problem with VD so ....

In that video he tests 3 different routers from the same product line. 2 of them work perfectly, one doesn't.

I personally like unifi because it has great control software to tweak just about everything. You get really beefy hardware in their routers as well. My dream machine doesn't have wifi 6, but wifi 5 works perfectly and you can easily add a wifi 6 access point to your play area which is what I plan on doing in the garage.

despite all hate, I think it paid off for Facebook to invest into a VR headset that is pretty much a console by itself:

I think by now Quest + Quest 2 combined sales have probably already surpassed the old psvr 5 million units figure and going after that sweet 10 million installed base sweet spot...

hopefully that means a better library

I've been meaning to ask, how powerful is the quest in terms of Switches taped together?

Just wondering really as they are both handhelds, though the quest is more of a head held lol.

Romulus

I've been meaning to ask, how powerful is the quest in terms of Switches taped together?

Just wondering really as they are both handhelds, though the quest is more of a head held lol.

The Quest 2 GPU is about twice as powerful and it has 2 additional GB of faster RAM than Switch. Not sure about the CPU. I'm sure its even more of a disparity over Switch.

What really makes it unique is the ability to pair it was an high end PC for top tier visuals.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The Quest 2 GPU is about twice as powerful and it has 2 additional GB of faster RAM than Switch. Not sure about the CPU. I'm sure its even more of a disparity over Switch.

What really makes it unique is the ability to pair it was an high end PC for top tier visuals.
I didn't think it was that powerful. A very impressive device for the money.

Ok thanks everyone, so pretty powerful then which is what I expected. Obviously it's different, like someone said, as it has to do different things but good to know anyway.

Also, being able to use as a pc headset via a cable (or virtual desktop) is awesome too. When I replace my CV1 I imagine I'll get a quest.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Ok thanks everyone, so pretty powerful then which is what I expected. Obviously it's different, like someone said, as it has to do different things but good to know anyway.

Also, being able to use as a pc headset via a cable (or virtual desktop) is awesome too. When I replace my CV1 I imagine I'll get a quest.
I replaced my CV1 with Quest2. Apart from the black level on CV1, everything is better on the Q2. The resolution bump is mind blowing.

who doesn't love surprises?

this nice retro arcade game is releasing today on the official Oculus store and also got a free demo on Sidequest:

checking asap. Actually, I fired up Sidequest just awhile ago before this announcement to download QuestZDoom again and guess I got too carried away playing it (I'm actually waiting it does support the Castlevania mod someday)

Tygeezy

who doesn't love surprises?

this nice retro arcade game is releasing today on the official Oculus store and also got a free demo on Sidequest:

checking asap. Actually, I fired up Sidequest just awhile ago before this announcement to download QuestZDoom again and guess I got too carried away playing it (I'm actually waiting it does support the Castlevania mod someday)

Is it coming to quest since there is a demo on sidequest?

Is it coming to quest since there is a demo on sidequest?

sadly no, after you finish that single first mission the demo informs that again they didn't meet Oculus standards - and I can see why, as it has bad stuttering right in the HUB, had to give up on arcade cockpit and I can only guess how bad performance is in later levels in this bullet hell. They could easily port it entirely and sell on Sidequest, but didn't.

Only for pcvr on Rift store.

pr0cs

Is it gonna become like the iPhone with their annual releases then? I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.
I don't see them launching a new headset this year, my guess is a revision to the Quest 2 where you can buy it without controllers to make it even less expensive.
More software improvements to hand tracking expanding potential casual use. I haven't read anything solid regarding a sequel to the XR2 processor, making any new headset only offering updates to the screen if a quest 3 was actually on the table

Romulus

I don't see them launching a new headset this year, my guess is a revision to the Quest 2 where you can buy it without controllers to make it even less expensive.
More software improvements to hand tracking expanding potential casual use. I haven't read anything solid regarding a sequel to the XR2 processor, making any new headset only offering updates to the screen if a quest 3 was actually on the table

I'm hoping it will be more like a quest 2.5 but with a big increase to FOV

cyberheater

Mad I know. I’ve just bought an Oculus Quest 1 on eBay (I already have a Quest2).

The primary reason is the OLED blacks for some of the darker games like Vader Immortal and for PCVR via virtual desktop. The big drop in resolution should help with performance on some of the PC heavy games.

Also interested see what movies look like with a much better black floor.

That's incredible, and actually exceeds alot of console sales in the past during a launch window. Actually alot of them.

looks like paranoid FB-haters are not doing a good job

yes, these are pretty console-level sales and I guess Quest 2 may be the first VR headset to reach at least 10 million. But otoh, it's not much console-like when you release a new one every year or so...

VR needs software, not hardware. This is something they still don't get. But otoh, the tech is moving fast in advancements so if you keep still for several years, competition just eats your lunch, like Quest did to psvr...

Romulus

looks like paranoid FB-haters are not doing a good job

yes, these are pretty console-level sales and I guess Quest 2 may be the first VR headset to reach at least 10 million. But otoh, it's not much console-like when you release a new one every year or so...

VR needs software, not hardware. This is something they still don't get. But otoh, the tech is moving fast in advancements so if you keep still for several years, competition just eats your lunch, like Quest did to psvr...

I think it's install base. Developers don't want to invest in hardware that has less than 10 million units sold usually. If they can keep pushing new headsets and keep the ecosystem the same, it could work

These new sales figures are around 1 million per month, that's console sales and they don't seem to be slowing.

So, having said that, VR could now be very significant for bigger publishers too.

Last edited:

dcll

Banned
I have always been interested in vr but haven’t been following it. I heard a podcast and they were talking about the quest 2 and it doesn’t need a pc has me interested. Can this be used with a DJI drone? What are some more of the impressive experiences that really make you feel like you are in a different place?

I have always been interested in vr but haven’t been following it. I heard a podcast and they were talking about the quest 2 and it doesn’t need a pc has me interested. Can this be used with a DJI drone? What are some more of the impressive experiences that really make you feel like you are in a different place?

any VR game will make you feel you're in a different place

yeah, doesn't need pc, as long as you don't care for a mobile chip doing top graphics from 15 years ago

What are your hopes for the Quest 3 upgrade path?

I think a more powerful XR3 and a higher resolution display are a given, but aside from those things what do you hope Oculus will focus on next?

Smaller and lighter?
Higher FOV?
Cheaper?

I hope we see OLED. Something like 3000x3000 per eye OLED. It wouldn't even matter if it was pentile at that resolution. And it doesn't HAVE to be OLED, but something to dramtically improve the black levels (FALD/microLED?). IMO it's the worst thing about the Q2 and actually impacts my ability to enjoy some content, where dark and moody environments just looks grey, washed out and overall not what the developers were intending.

I also wouldn't mind seeing two versions of the Quest 3, one version being higher end.

D.Final

Banned

I think a more powerful XR3 and a higher resolution display are a given, but aside from those things what do you hope Oculus will focus on next?

Smaller and lighter?
Higher FOV?
Cheaper?

I hope we see OLED. Something like 3000x3000 per eye OLED. It wouldn't even matter if it was pentile at that resolution. And it doesn't HAVE to be OLED, but something to dramtically improve the black levels (FALD/microLED?). IMO it's the worst thing about the Q2 and actually impacts my ability to enjoy some content, where dark and moody environments just looks grey, washed out and overall not what the developers were intending.

I also wouldn't mind seeing two versions of the Quest 3, one version being higher end.
Higher FOV
Just that

cyberheater

Generally the route is for cost reduction to enable them to sell Q3 for $200 or less for mass market adoption.

I would love OLED but I can’t see it happening.

Quest 3? I just bought 2 and I'm already bored with their minigames library

I'm only getting back to Quest by 6, perhaps by then it'll have a decent library. See you in 2 years.

Btw, this is interesting:

Romulus

UBISOFT has committed to quest with a future Splinter Cell and assassins creed game in the works.

For sure, its already starting to happen, but Quest is pretty new still and we're just now breaking out the mainstream or even hardcore gaming ignorant way of thinking that "VR sucks." 99% of the people saying that haven't even tried VR, they're just poor or have no experience with it.
Quest is changing all that though. It's actually pushing VR toward the mainstream faster than I imagined.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

For sure, its already starting to happen, but Quest is pretty new still and we're just now breaking out the mainstream or even hardcore gaming ignorant way of thinking that "VR sucks." 99% of the people saying that haven't even tried VR, they're just poor or have no experience with it.
Quest is changing all that though. It's actually pushing VR toward the mainstream faster than I imagined.
Most gamers on the internet still think motion controls suck which couldn't be any further form the truth since its a requirement in VR and obviously works extremely well. I've pretty much given up on console games utilizing gyroscope for anything that requires aim and will just stick with VR and PC because they are forward thinking and a much better experience.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I just tried out Mario Land 3D on Citra using the SBS mode and Virtual Desktop. Cranked depth up 95% and used 8x resolution. I need a faster CPU for full speed, but it's still cool when the effect kicks in. You can move your head side to side and the background of the game will shift. Pretty fuckin' cool, man.

Last edited:
UBISOFT has committed to quest with a future Splinter Cell and assassins creed game in the works.

yes, but if they're short experiences they'll get backsplash from gamers and if they're really good AAA games they'll get backslash from indies and their "content creator" shills, who pretty much buried Medal of Honor...

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I just tried out Mario Land 3D on Citra using the SBS mode and Virtual Desktop. Cranked depth up 95% and used 8x resolution. I need a faster CPU for full speed, but it's still cool when the effect kicks in. You can move your head side to side and the background of the game will shift. Pretty fuckin' cool, man.
Fuck i need to try this

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Just tried Flight Sim 2020 with Virtual Desktop for the first time. Damn, it's really crazy to be able to look out the windows and around the cockpit. I did a barrel roll and it turned my stomach a bit.:messenger_grinning_sweat: I need a GPU upgrade and a flight stick so I can play smoother with higher settings and res. Still an awesome experience.
---
Fuck i need to try this
I got better 3D effect by using higher res and the 'Large Screen' window layout. I also prefer a background color other than black as the Quest 2 tends to have halo effect from bright white on dark black. Here's the layout and the SBS output from Citra for shits and giggles. It gets stretch wider in the headset and has a nice 3D pop to it.
4jGBmqt.jpg

Nintendo could own the VR kingdom if they made software for it(outside that weird Switch Cardboard VR). Their artstyle fits so well with VR.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Just tried Flight Sim 2020 with Virtual Desktop for the first time. Damn, it's really crazy to be able to look out the windows and around the cockpit. I did a barrel roll and it turned my stomach a bit.:messenger_grinning_sweat: I need a GPU upgrade and a flight stick so I can play smoother with higher settings and res. Still an awesome experience.
---

I got better 3D effect by using higher res and the 'Large Screen' window layout. I also prefer a background color other than black as the Quest 2 tends to have halo effect from bright white on dark black. Here's the layout and the SBS output from Citra for shits and giggles. It gets stretch wider in the headset and has a nice 3D pop to it.
4jGBmqt.jpg

Nintendo could own the VR kingdom if they made software for it(outside that weird Switch Cardboard VR). Their artstyle fits so well with VR.
Yeah labo VR showed it of!
i had a lot of fun with nintendo’s VR vision

Quest 3? I just bought 2 and I'm already bored with their minigames library

I'm only getting back to Quest by 6, perhaps by then it'll have a decent library. See you in 2 years.

So you don't have a PC to use with your Quest 2?

That sucks.

I actually think the Quest 2 has a fairly sizeable library for games that run ON the Quest 2, but no doubt adding a PC and wireless connection opens up .... well, the entire library of VR gaming to the Quest 2, and at a resolution only beaten by the Reverb G2.

Top Bottom