• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

Just weird that the new Medal of Honor VR doesn't even have a price tag on Steam and the Oculus store. Seriously who does that? Perhaps it will be more expensive than most vr games out there. No option to preload as well is dumb.

Warhammer Battlesister now up in the store: $30 and 2.7GB download

I have a bad feeling about this... need to wait for impressions...

Last edited:

SScorpio

I'm not sold on bringing over every genre of game to VR like this. I hope other developers will be able to take risks on some new things.

One of my favorite experiences using a 3D monitor was play the WH 40K Dawn of War 2 trilogy. The game didn't extend out of the monitor. Instead, the flat back disappeared and it looked like actual 3D objects moving around.

Give me a WH 40K VR board game that is like a cross with Battle Chess. You could have a birds-eye view or zoom in to the unit level. Animations for the units' movement and attacking one another.

Only 2.7GB?? :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

4-ish hours

first review:

melee is as basic as expected. Probably why Alyx didn't even try.

man, those flames look bad but otherwise it's one of the best looking games on Quest. Positively looks like xbox 360 stuff - and I don't mean this in a bad way: both Skyrim and Borderlands are from that generation and among the best games on psvr.

just too bad that most VR games ever attempt as much content - or even a fraction really...

guess I'll wait for the Myst release in a few days instead. That sure will imply lots of puzzle solving hours and landscape exploring...

4-ish hours

first review:

melee is as basic as expected. Probably why Alyx didn't even try.

man, those flames look bad but otherwise it's one of the best looking games on Quest. Positively looks like xbox 360 stuff - and I don't mean this in a bad way: both Skyrim and Borderlands are from that generation and among the best games on psvr.

just too bad that most VR games ever attempt as much content - or even a fraction really...

guess I'll wait for the Myst release in a few days instead. That sure will imply lots of puzzle solving hours and landscape exploring...

It looks decent. Too bad it is not available natively for pcvr. I don't mind the game being short as long as it's fun and worth the price though.

It looks decent. Too bad it is not available natively for pcvr. I don't mind the game being short as long as it's fun and worth the price though.

well, I've had my share of 3-4-ish hours VR games

they are making VR gourmet gaming: pay a lot for a mini burger. Thank you, but no. This is sales material.

it's half the price of a flat game for a tenth of the content or less

good thing I've stopped playing flat games altogether for almost 3 years now for when these oldies finally get a VR port they will all be new to me and more worthwhile than made for VR games with a seal of short length

please don't brick my Quest, Lord Zuck

Last edited:
well, I've had my share of 3-4-ish hours VR games

they are making VR gourmet gaming: pay a lot for a mini burger. Thank you, but no. This is sales material.

it's half the price of a flat game for a tenth of the content or less

good thing I've stopped playing flat games altogether for almost 3 years now for when these oldies finally get a VR port they will all be new to me and more worthwhile than made for VR games with a seal of short length

please don't brick my Quest, Lord Zuck
Your next "investment" should be upgrading your pc to play the best pcvr games that you are missing out. If you are tired of the half baked vr experiences you have to play the "real" vr games like Stormland, Asgard's Wrath, Alyx, etc and the upcoming big hits like Medal of Honor. Just wait until you play Alyx and Asgard's and you won't regret spending the money on a $1000 video card :)

Techies

My virtual Desktop is running perfectly now after another factory reset. It had updated and the stutter was still.

The good news is, after the factory reset and new update, whatever bug I had hasn't come back yet and tried various things to see if I could reproduce it, but failed.

Hopefully, that was my last factory reset, if my wireless can stay as it is now, I'm a happy camper. Played the new pistol whip campaign without any of my vd metrics dipping into the orange.

Your next "investment" should be upgrading your pc to play the best pcvr games that you are missing out. If you are tired of the half baked vr experiences you have to play the "real" vr games like Stormland, Asgard's Wrath, Alyx, etc and the upcoming big hits like Medal of Honor. Just wait until you play Alyx and Asgard's and you won't regret spending the money on a $1000 video card :)

you speak like as if there are tons of real worthwhile pcvr games instead of, you know, tons of shovelware. Besides, I've always been a console guy... psvr and Quest serve me well

I think Quest is good news to pcvr fans after all. Means most shovelware will be targeting it, yay

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Myst VR is coming up on Quest for now (gonna be 30) and other platforms at later unannounced dates.

you speak like as if there are tons of real worthwhile pcvr games instead of, you know, tons of shovelware.
There are plenty great games, he named a few. It's silly to claim there aren't then say Quest (stand alone) & PSVR serve you well, they have less. Good to know you've been judging PC VR without playing, your bs make sense now. If you need a publisher like Sony/fb to spoonfeed you, you only play if they get worse ports, like S&S.

Kind of how In Death is a fun game now on Quest yet it came out on PC in February 2018 and is old hat, not to mention if anyone told you to check it out back then you'd laugh at the prospect of VR altogether. Granted it's a slightly expanded version but it's a ~3 years late port (& still looks worse, has less enemies at a time, etc.).

Last edited:
Kind of how In Death is suddenly a fun game for you now it's on Quest when it first came out on PC in February 2018 and is old hat, not to mention if anyone told you to check it out back then you'd laugh at the prospect of VR altogethe

dude, chill out

In Death was well into my wishlist when it came out to psvr back in 2018. Why? Because as The Persistence and Trickster VR well taught me, rogue-likes are the way to go for indies if they want to provide players with hours upon hours of good gameplay on a budget.

these are some of my favorite games in VR for this reason, and they are all by small indies and yet as great as they are they are not the kind of big AAA graphic whoring experience that brings flatties to VR - that's what corridor walking sims like Alyx and RE7 are for. Besides that, it's mostly indies and mostly either shallow or short or both...

Last edited:
speaking of hand tracking:

very, very nice

one of often overlooked but most impressive features of Oculus Quest. Makes perfect sense in Job Simulator or a RTS, where it's you picking up stuff and using...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
speaking of hand tracking:

very, very nice

one of often overlooked but most impressive features of Oculus Quest. Makes perfect sense in Job Simulator or a RTS, where it's you picking up stuff and using...

Looks pretty cool, but I still think I would prefer using a controller. Just more tactile and accurate.

Alexios

Probably PC version footage there, I don't recall if they had a Quest version back then too but they clearly do now (and it will release before PC). Still, the assets seem to be pretty low-fi in most cases (maybe some of those clouds and such among certain special effects look very high detail), it's the composition and overall art design and attention to detail (so much movement, whether it's fog, trees, feathers, fabric in the wind, etc.) that make it look aaaaaawesome, I don't see why it wouldn't look pretty great on Quest 2 if nothing else even if they have to get some aspects downgraded.

Last edited:

magaman

Banned
you speak like as if there are tons of real worthwhile pcvr games instead of, you know, tons of shovelware. Besides, I've always been a console guy... psvr and Quest serve me well

I think Quest is good news to pcvr fans after all. Means most shovelware will be targeting it, yay

It's a shame that you're neutering yourself by being a console guy. PCVR is two full generations ahead of Quest, and probably 3 generations ahead of PSVR. It's that big a leap.

Sleepwalker

The Oculus Rift S is on discount down to almost the same price as the quest 2 where I live, is it worth getting into that at all or is it better to pick up the quest 2 at some point?

Alexios

Go Quest 2 rather than mess with the older revision controllers and deal with proprietary PC connection cables like all PC VR kits use (but in this case for an already obsolete product so if you need a replacement a year or two or three from now who knows if there will be any left at reasonable prices and/or free from support) etc. Also 90Hz refresh instead of 82. And of course the bonus use of stand alone play far from your PC. But do get a proper recommended long USB cable for use with Link / PC rather than expect people are truthful when they say they can't tell the difference with wireless connection using VRD, they've been claiming that since Quest 1 but clearly things have been improving a lot since and it's still not quite the same lag free experience even with the best routers etc. Easy to test by playing a game with a Quest 2 version (so long as it's a solid port like Beat Saber or Pistol Whip and other such low fi games and not one that stretches the hardware to its limits like Saints & Sinners) natively a while then trying the PC equivalent over wireless and Link to note the delay of each (especially in regards to controllers/hands, not the headtracking/view).

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Picked up Myst and Medal of Honor.

Myst is good but not mind blowing. The graphics are good, better than realMyst but still feel pretty Mobile-gamey. The PC version looks a lot better from screens. I like the feel and the interactivity. I really wish it had a better way to write down clues in game besides just using the Quest's screenshot function.

Medal of Honor is a little underwhelming. i have played an hour and a half and I am considering refunding and getting it on sale. The lack of graphics options and awful resolution options are a drag, but with the Steam resolution scaling I can get it playable and looking decent at the same time. The campaign is broken up into small vignettes and feels disjointed with no real momentum. The gunplay itself is pretty good though.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The Oculus Rift S is on discount down to almost the same price as the quest 2 where I live, is it worth getting into that at all or is it better to pick up the quest 2 at some point?
It depends somewhat on your PC. Quest 2 is higher res and uses compressed video so it needs a beefier PC compared to Rift S. However it is the better experience if you have the hardware to drive it.

Sleepwalker

It depends somewhat on your PC. Quest 2 is higher res and uses compressed video so it needs a beefier PC compared to Rift S. However it is the better experience if you have the hardware to drive it.

Ryzen 5 3600xt
EVGA 2080S
32GB DD4 3200mhz

I'm clueless when it comes to VR reqs so not sure how that holds up.

Last edited:

Alexios

You're fine, generally you need a PC as beefy as for any good non VR gaming, minimum requirements be damned. It varies by game as usual. Your PC is pretty (reasonably) beastly, not much room to ask for more atm, lol.

Last edited:
It's a shame that you're neutering yourself by being a console guy. PCVR is two full generations ahead of Quest, and probably 3 generations ahead of PSVR. It's that big a leap.

nah, I'm good. As long as ports keep coming, I don't mind graphics that were once the hot stuff around.

Like this one, The Wizards 2 Dark Times coming to Quest in 2021 Q1:

Btw, Dr Beef's native Quest mods for classic games now make them run in 90Hz:

I'm playing HL 1, will update soon...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
news from a few days ago, but still cool: hand tracking in YouTube VR

they could add some environments

Hand tracking is neat tech, but I haven't found anything where I'd rather use that than the controllers. Haven't tried it in YouTube, but in the Oculus home menu using your hands for navigation is just vastly inferior and much more cumbersome. But sure, I guess in a video viewing situation where you might not want to keep your controllers on you it could make more sense.

Hand tracking is neat tech, but I haven't found anything where I'd rather use that than the controllers. Haven't tried it in YouTube, but in the Oculus home menu using your hands for navigation is just vastly inferior and much more cumbersome. But sure, I guess in a video viewing situation where you might not want to keep your controllers on you it could make more sense.

at least you're saving controller battery so it can endure for months :messenger_tears_of_joy:

but honestly, in games where it's all about manipulating objects with your own hands - like Vacation Simulator, Hand Physics Lab or Waltz of the Wizard - it's quite cool and more natural, despite lack of haptic feedback

I got Dash Dash. Right away I can tell this is indeed butter smooth 90Hz on Quest and very nice visuals. I'll be exploring control options and the tutorial I initially skipped...

Is it actually good? Are there any other decent racing games on the Quest?

very fun and controllable - I mean it has good maneuverability (including some of the most intuitive drifting I've seen in any racing game) with the default analog stick controls. The "immersive" controls by turning a virtual wheel are not so great. My only experience so far with the genre in VR was Touring Karts and that's just not as great - this one got a lot more right about the genre in track design (wide and twisting slopes) and in look and feel...

I also have Void Racer, a good antigravity racer ported from Oculus Go. But otherwise, no, Quest obviously doesn't have many options in racing.

well, Jurassic Park Aftermath is, you guessed it, yet another short VR experience for movie fans...

guess we can only really count with flat ports of old games and indies making substantial gameplay loops out of very little material in rogue-likes such as In Death: Unchained or The Persistence... hopefully other devs realize gamers value more length and substance than linear narratives done in 2 hours or so...

Ven is mediocre. I wanted to give it a chance but aside from the decent graphics the game is boring as hell. The music is sleep inducing and the enemies so fucking uninspired. Unless you love Crash and want to play something that slightly resembles it stay away from this game.

Ven is mediocre. I wanted to give it a chance but aside from the decent graphics the game is boring as hell. The music is sleep inducing and the enemies so fucking uninspired. Unless you love Crash and want to play something that slightly resembles it stay away from this game.

looks like you really missed your chance to play the best platformer in VR ever

CloudNull

Banned
well, Jurassic Park Aftermath is, you guessed it, yet another short VR experience for movie fans...

guess we can only really count with flat ports of old games and indies making substantial gameplay loops out of very little material in rogue-likes such as In Death: Unchained or The Persistence... hopefully other devs realize gamers value more length and substance than linear narratives done in 2 hours or so...

Thanks, you saved me the purchase. I think I’ll just start Asgard’s Wrath. It’s a bummer because I love the art style of the Jurassic Park game.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

From folks that I trust that have reviewed it. They say it's a brilliant game and worth the money. I'll be picking this up across the holidays.

I caved in an ordered a Quest 2.

I've gone too long without VR, so I'll enjoy the holidays in other worlds. I wanted to buy an Index, but here in Switzerland it isn't officially sold, and with all the covid madness it's a bit tricky ordering from Italy or Germany at the moment.

So, wireless VR here I come.

Is it true that for the moment I can just use my existing Oculus account and not merge it to Facebook?

Ceadeus

I caved in an ordered a Quest 2.

I've gone too long without VR, so I'll enjoy the holidays in other worlds. I wanted to buy an Index, but here in Switzerland it isn't officially sold, and with all the covid madness it's a bit tricky ordering from Italy or Germany at the moment.

So, wireless VR here I come.

Is it true that for the moment I can just use my existing Oculus account and not merge it to Facebook?

Yes, you can use the oculus account until 2023 iirc.

Top Bottom