• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

I had my quest 2 delivered this week, along with the cable and carrying case. It's already packed up and ready to be sent back. I can't deny that the tech is amazing, the hand tracking etc is really impressive. But after a few minutes it feels like my eyes are being sucked out of their sockets, and I get a tight pain across my forehead.

I guess VR just isn't for me.

Resenge

I had my quest 2 delivered this week, along with the cable and carrying case. It's already packed up and ready to be sent back. I can't deny that the tech is amazing, the hand tracking etc is really impressive. But after a few minutes it feels like my eyes are being sucked out of their sockets, and I get a tight pain across my forehead.

I know a few people that really overtighten their headset and have that problem, I'm not saying you did that but it is a thing that I believe many people do.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

the headset stretches out and a lot of the uncomfortableness of VR wears off after getting used to it. theres a lot of amazing VR experiences youre going to miss out on. give it another try maybe. i'd suggest just starting out 15 - 30 minutes play sessions, then after a week or two, increase to an hour, then eventually you'll be able to play however long you want, and your headset will have broken in and be more comfortable.

or just be a pussy....... lol im kidding im kidding, i totally understand the complaints, and youre right it just might not be for you. come back in 5 years im gonna need some buddies to play with while im living my second life in VR :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The elite strap is awesome, just be sure not to over tighten.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
ALTDEUS: Beyond Chronos just came out (PC too).
Another good release for Quest today.

Resenge

Anyone else have to factory reset their Quest 2 for any reason? I had to do so after playing some sideloaded apps from Sidequest.
I have had to factory reset after the patch. My apps were just crashing to home screen. It seemed to fix it although I had the problem return a day ago, a power reset seemed to fix it for now.

I hear a lot of people are having some problems due to this new update including namekuseijin namekuseijin , although I think he has sorted his problem.

Last edited:

magaman

Banned
I'm not shooting irl, so no.

but you're always in person in VR, either as Gordon Freeman or as the "reader" in Moss

You're always "in person" when playing any game by this logic. Have you ever used virtual desktop in VR? Are you playing a third person game ... in first person?

The logic doesn't make sense, homie.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Big ruckus due to Marvel Powers United getting delisted and unavailable even to owners:

however, they're now refunding it:

Most people assumed this was a liscensing thing but seeing Sanzaru's early games delisted alongside it makes me think it's more with refocusing their efforts and not wanting to support these titles.

To be honest, other than Asgard's Wrath, Sanzaru's output has not been very good. AW showed they're capable of making a great game but before that I never thought of them as a top tier studio.

You're always "in person" when playing any game by this logic. Have you ever used virtual desktop in VR? Are you playing a third person game ... in first person?

The logic doesn't make sense, homie.

you're never in person while watching things happening on your TV

but you're always in person in VR

not all is well in FB-land and some of its worst predatory stories are coming to light:

please don't ban me and brick my headset for spreading the news, Lord Zuck

Yesterday I tried Altspace vr and holy shit I was in a stand up comedy room for over two hours LOL. I never thought I would be watching to something like that in a virtual room filled with avatars watching a round of people going to a virtual stage to tell uncensored jokes. Fucking hilarious you guys should try it out.

Warhammer Battlesister looking too damn good for a Quest title

it'll be very hard for me not to get it day 1, but after so many short VR games I need to resist the urge and read some reviews before

December is looking very crowded for VR games...

This looks terrible.

yes, I fear stripping down from pc to Quest just doesn't work. Targeting Quest first and then scaling up for pc works way better

I mean the small maps of Pavlov, Onward and Contractors on Quest all pale in comparison to the large map full of detail and bright textures of Population One...

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Hi, does anyone know when the case+elite strap and battery will be in stock again? I just got a quest 2 and I can't seem to find that package anywhere. Thanks!

Resenge

Hi, does anyone know when the case+elite strap and battery will be in stock again? I just got a quest 2 and I can't seem to find that package anywhere. Thanks!
There is some problem with the quality of the strap, It is snapping for a lot of people including mine. I think they have taken off sale because of that. No one knows if they will bring it back with a better design or if they have just abandoned the whole strap idea and left it for third parties to make some.

They do have some stock though as they are replacing broken straps, I received my replacment this morning. I am hoping its a revised design on the plastic. As for the case it is pure overpriced junk, you are better off buying a camera case or something off Amazon.

Last edited:
There is some problem with the quality of the strap, It is snapping for a lot of people including mine. I think they have taken off sale because of that. No one knows if they will bring it back with a better design or if they have just abandoned the whole strap idea and left it for third parties to make some.

They do have some stock though as they are replacing broken straps, I received my replacment this morning. I am hoping its a revised design on the plastic. As for the case it is pure overpriced junk, you are better off buying a camera case or something off Amazon.
Yeah the case is a piece of garbage..

Ceadeus

Gold Member

Oh ok :/ that does not look promising. I mostly want the extra comfort and battery though..

Resenge

Oh ok :/ that does not look promising. I mostly want the extra comfort and battery though..
Do you have access to a 3D printer and a powerbank? This is what I have been using until my replacement strap was dispatched, its a decent alternative.

I recommend working on it yourself to make it more comfortable and to have that extra battery capacity. I did a lot of work on my original Quest and I am working on the Quest 2. My Quest 1 is super comfortable, I never have to charge either Quest due to the powerbank always charging them, I just take off the powerbank after I've finished and charge that.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Do you have access to a 3D printer and a powerbank? This is what I have been using until my replacement strap was dispatched, its a decent alternative.

Unfortunately no. I think I'll wait for their revision. I don't think Facebook/oculus are going to just sit there and letting 3rd parties selling straps and battery. They made the original strap cheap to cut cost, they know people want elite strap and the extra 2 hours battery life. They won't just do nothing about it..

Thanks though for the info and help, much appreciated!

Resenge

I don't think Facebook/oculus are going to just sit there and letting 3rd parties selling straps and battery
I can guarantee you they will because they cannot legally stop them. They have also already worked with third party manufacturers. There was a ton of Quest 1 third party straps and addons and the Quest 2 is no exception.

See here for example.

WvcoiZ2.png

Last edited:

Techies

I really like my strap and I do hope they make it available again, without the manufacturing issues. That strap is also a really good fit for both kids and adults.

this thread made me realize how much I was missing while on psvr:

Pavlov = Counterstrike
Onward = Rainbow Six Siege
Contractor$ = Call of Duty
Population One = Fortnite
Dead and Buried 2 = Overwatch
Solaris = Quake Arena
Rec Room = paintball, lasertag

etc. And besides these multiplayer FPS, there's a plethora of single-player and co-op FPS, like AZ Sunshine, Death Horizon and classic Quake and Half-Life

on psvr it was basically just Firewall and Rec Room for multiplayer pvp. And I had to pay an online subscription! :messenger_pouting: 3 years of promises and bad service to end dying on PS5...

this thread made me realize how much I was missing while on psvr:

Pavlov = Counterstrike
Onward = Rainbow Six Siege
Contractor$ = Call of Duty
Population One = Fortnite
Dead and Buried 2 = Overwatch
Solaris = Quake Arena
Rec Room = paintball, lasertag

etc. And besides these multiplayer FPS, there's a plethora of single-player and co-op FPS, like AZ Sunshine, Death Horizon and classic Quake and Half-Life

on psvr it was basically just Firewall and Rec Room for multiplayer pvp. And I had to pay an online subscription! :messenger_pouting: 3 years of promises and bad service to end dying on PS5...

Another one surrended by the vr master race :messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_sunglasses:

Alexios

Surrendered how? It was on SideQuest like Pavlov so they were clearly working on getting it done. Ports are good, more people getting to play good games is great, but don't be a retarded fanboy, thanks. Solaris is nothing like any Quake, that's just bs, way slower and less mobile game. You want something like Quake and Unreal Tournament, other than actual sourceports of the classics, Grapple Tournament is an one way street to that bliss and oozes quality and understanding of what made such games great, their mobility, verticality, excellent map design with hot zones, great yet readable art etc. They're working on a Quest port but there's only been one (pretty nice) screenshot atm.

Anyway...

Last edited:
Surrendered how? It was on SideQuest like Pavlov so they were clearly working on getting it done. Ports are good, more people getting to play good games is great, but don't be a retarded fanboy, thanks. Solaris is nothing like any Quake, that's just bs, way slower and less mobile game. You want something like Quake and Unreal Tournament, other than actual sourceports of the classics, Grapple Tournament is an one way street to that bliss and oozes quality and understanding of what made such games great, their mobility, verticality, excellent map design with hot zones, great yet readable art etc. They're working on a Quest port but there's only been one (pretty nice) screenshot atm.

Anyway...

Retarded fanboy? WTF get lost and chill out I know namekuseijin since his "vr is a gimmick" era and was just joking around.

Last edited:

Anyway...

I'm a slow player, but trying my best to complete SW Tales from the Galaxy's Edge to make way for this one. Yes, the 64GB model is starting to feel small... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Btw, instead of traveling instantly to the point where I left, I decided to just go from the cantina again. It was a much shorter journey than first time around, because I already explored before and no new crates to find. I can see how some people may have just rushed linearly and completed it in under 2 hours or so...

still, very amazing graphics and environments for a Quest game (and with dynamic foveated resolution to help in hard spots even on Q2) and I like the gunplay a lot. But it really feels like just 2 or 3 Borderlands missions... this is why I prefer roguelikes in VR - sheer replay value...

wow, defeated Anakim the Abominable for the first time in In Death: Unchained. What a rush! Moving constantly to dodge all the arrows and undead, and plenty of explosive and targeted arrows help much. Last time around I seemingly had depleted more than 70% of his HP and that unlocked a very useful treat right before meeting him: a chalice to recover 1 point of HP. gee thanks :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Of course, being the though rogue-like it is, not the first time I'll meet him as once you die you need to go through all of it again. I only had a brief glimpse of the area I think is called Paradise Lost - only unlocked through Sanctuary after you defeat Anakim 6 times. man, what a gorgeous area it is - and also more menacing. I need more chalices, very hard game but very worthwhile.

took me a long while to even meet Anakim because I kept going into the red portals midway and I'm simply not ready for that hellish place :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Anyway, tomorrow the devs are unlocking an extra mode for this game. Awesome stuff

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
What a difference a decent router makes for wireless VR.
I bought a TP-Link Archer A7 AC1750 and dedicating the 5Ghz channel just for the PC.

It now feels as smooth as wired. Very impressive stuff.

Resenge

wow, defeated Anakim the Abominable for the first time in In Death: Unchained. What a rush! Moving constantly to dodge all the arrows and undead, and plenty of explosive and targeted arrows help much. Last time around I seemingly had depleted more than 70% of his HP and that unlocked a very useful treat right before meeting him: a chalice to recover 1 point of HP. gee thanks :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Of course, being the though rogue-like it is, not the first time I'll meet him as once you die you need to go through all of it again. I only had a brief glimpse of the area I think is called Paradise Lost - only unlocked through Sanctuary after you defeat Anakim 6 times. man, what a gorgeous area it is - and also more menacing. I need more chalices, very hard game but very worthwhile.

took me a long while to even meet Anakim because I kept going into the red portals midway and I'm simply not ready for that hellish place :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Anyway, tomorrow the devs are unlocking an extra mode for this game. Awesome stuff
What's this? The new star wars game is a rouge lite? I've ignored the last star wars game, but if its a rougue lite then I'm interested.

Alexios

What's this? The new star wars game is a rouge lite? I've ignored the last star wars game, but if its a rougue lite then I'm interested.
No, In Death is an archery game, nothing to do with Star Wars. Really old on PC, but it got a refreshed version from a new company that bought the game from the dev, to port it to Quest & add new stuff.

I had spent a LOT of time with it early on when I first got VR, it was legit. Playing that then later Blade & Sorcery made me want the devs to marry and make a Souls Roguelite baby game, that'd be so rad.

Last edited:

Resenge

No, In Death is an archery game, nothing to do with Star Wars. Really old on PC, but it got a refreshed version from a new company that bought the game from the dev to port it to Quest and add new stuff. I had spent a LOT of time with it early on when I first got VR, it's legit.

Ahh shit, hes playing In Death of course. I have it.

I was rushing and on mobile and as I wasn't reading properly I saw...

wow, defeated Anakim
took me a long while to even meet Anakim because I kept going into the red portals midway and I'm simply not ready for that hellish place

and thought it read Anakin and was some new Star Wars Roguelite....

Last edited:

mepirulo

Banned
What a difference a decent router makes for wireless VR.
I bought a TP-Link Archer A7 AC1750 and dedicating the 5Ghz channel just for the PC.

It now feels as smooth as wired. Very impressive stuff.

Do you have the router in the same room as your quest and PC?

I've never been able to play using virtual Desktop. Moving the camera with my head is fine but scrolling with the stick always result in stuttering (or reprojection I think it's called).

Resenge

I've never been able to play using virtual Desktop. Moving the camera with my head is fine but scrolling with the stick always result in stuttering (or reprojection I think it's called).
Yes, the closer you are to your router the less interference you have, but it also depends on the router. I am lucky as my router is close to me and my ISP's router works very well with Virtual Desktop but if I had to buy a new router to make it run well I would, it is very much worth the inverstment for wireless PCVR imo.

Last edited:

mepirulo

Banned
Yes, the closer you are to your router, the less interference you have, but it also depends on the router. I am lucky as my router is close to me and my ISP's router works very well with Virtual Desktop but if I had to buy a new router to make it run well I would, it is very much worth the inverstment for wireless PCVR imo.
I've recently bought a 3080, a new SSD, quest 2... Having to spend more than 100 euros on a router... Ugh

Resenge

I've recently bought a 3080, a new SSD, quest 2... Having to spend more than 100 euros on a router... Ugh
Well, its not needed, its an optional extra. If you want to play wireless PCVR its worth it though.

The Quest 2 is cheap as hell for the tech you are getting anyway, other headsets wireless options cost as much as the Quest 2 headset does.

RJAcMEa.png

Quest 2 wireless option is a router and £10 for an app. Seems like the cheapest Wireless (and probably best) option to me.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Yes. Same room.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Has Medal of honor been confirmed to launch Thursday alongside the other headset release?
can only be played with your quest 2 connected to your pc. Prolly also with Virtual Desktop but we will have to see that,

Top Bottom