• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Octopath Traveler 2 will launch on February 24, 2023

Darsxx82

Sure but also most of the time JRPGs sell better on Switch and Playstation than Xbox since most of the audience own Nintendo and Playstation systems.
What is clear is that actions like this only encourage that to be the case.

You can't expect XBOX to become a platform where you bet on this type of game if you don't seriously bet on it. And the Square thing with Xbox is being disconcerting.

In this case even more so when Part 1 is on XBOX, in gamepass and it is also a Switch game that is very easy to adapt to much more powerful platforms. Being in Gamepass has already amortized the port to XBOX, it matters little what sales it had.
Another thing is that Square wants to squeeze MS and would like to be a Gamepass game again and ensure income.

tkscz

Glad they are actually intertwining the stories this time. Understandable that they didn't last time with not knowing if it would succeed but after the success of the first one, triangle strategy and live alive remake, I'm they should get the budget to pull it off.

yazenov

What is clear is that actions like this only encourage that to be the case.

You can't expect XBOX to become a platform where you bet on this type of game if you don't seriously bet on it. And the Square thing with Xbox is being disconcerting.

In this case even more so when Part 1 is on XBOX, in gamepass and it is also a Switch game that is very easy to adapt to much more powerful platforms. Being in Gamepass has already amortized the port to XBOX, it matters little what sales it had.
Another thing is that Square wants to squeeze MS and would like to be a Gamepass game again and ensure income.

SE tested the waters with part 1 on Xbox, and the results showed that the platform is not worth supporting, or the port was not with it unless MS coughs up the cash for the port upfront.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
SE tested the waters with part 1 on Xbox, and the results showed that the platform is not worth supporting, or the port was not with it unless MS coughs up the cash for the port upfront.
You don't know this at all. Tales from your ass.

SQEX is putting Diofield Chronicles on Xbox, and many other games. What likely happened is that they got paid to keep it off Xbox. And SQEX put many other games on Gamepass after this game was on there so they must have thought it was a good deal at the time.

Almost all you post is toxic trash.

Last edited:

Three

I'm convinced they pull a ticket at the hat to decide whether to being games to Xbox.

The first some how made it to Xbox, but this one? Nope XD
They release it, notice xbox users don't actually buy the franchises they project their narcissistic tendencies of blaming others for with transgressions their company is making then return to business as usual of not releasing games they know didn't sell well on xbox.

Three

You don't know this at all. Tales from your ass.
SQEX is putting Diofield Chronicles on Xbox, and many other games. What likely happened is that they got paid to keep it off Xbox. And SQEX put many other games on Gamepass after this game was on there so they must have thought it was a good deal at the time.

Almost all you post is toxic trash.
Who should we blame this time? Nintendo, Sony, or is it maybe Gabe this time.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They release it, notice xbox users don't actually buy the franchises they project their narcissistic tendencies of blaming others for with transgressions their company is making then return to business as usual of not releasing games they know didn't sell well on xbox.

Tell us how you REALLY feel tho :messenger_tears_of_joy:

GIF by NBA

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Who should we blame this time? Nintendo, Sony, or is it maybe Gabe this time.
We'll never know. But you're obviously not interested in actually finding out, just trying to score some shit console war points about how Xbox players are narcissists. I mean talk about the shittiest take I've read on here since 4 posts above yours.

We know Sony doesn't care if it's on PC. We know SQEX would fight harder for a Switch release since that's the entirety of Japan. We know Nintendo didn't block Xbox on the 1st one.

GHG

Tell us how you REALLY feel tho :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Well Square took money from Xbox to put the first one on Xbox consoles as well as gamepass and exclude it from a certain other console.

From that endeavour they have the necessary data and still decided against releasing it on Xbox. What does that tell you?

MS probably paid for it to be there.Square is probably waiting for that to happen.
Apparently the story goes, according to a Google search (so take it with a grain of salt), Nintendo paid for timed exclusivity to keep it off XBox. Xbox paid for timed exclusivity to keep it off PlayStation... LOL

If true, would be an amazing story.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Well Square took money from Xbox to put the first one on Xbox consoles as well as gamepass and exclude it from a certain other console.

From that endeavour they have the necessary data and still decided against releasing it on Xbox. What does that tell you?

Take money to put on GP ? Yes, no doubt.

But give money to keep from any other console, especially considering Xbox was the 4th platform the game came out on, 3 years after its initial release ? I veeery highly doubt so.

They didn't need to put it on GP, just give it a retail release. Excluding a portion of the player base who played the first game on one console is dumb, but then we're talking about Square Enix.

Last edited:

Three

We'll never know. But you're obviously not interested in actually finding out, just trying to score some shit console war points about how Xbox players are narcissists. I mean talk about the shittiest take I've read on here since 4 posts above yours.

We know Sony doesn't care if it's on PC. We know SQEX would fight harder for a Switch release since that's the entirety of Japan. We know Nintendo didn't block Xbox on the 1st one.

Talking about tales from your ass for somebody elses take and again blaming Sony with tales from your own ass now.

Here's another theory. What if SE got an upfront payment from MS for Octopath Traveller 1 to put it on gamepass. They didn't get an offer with the sequel and skipped the platform based on projected sales. They can even hope MS opens the chequebook for gamepass again once actual sales on other consoles dry. Why do you have to invent a villain for everything? Gamepass not getting many big third party releases this year, must be that Sony blocking literally everything out there. Octopath traveller not coming to xbox, must be that Sony not allowing it.
Ark 2 is xbox only, wow must be that amazing platform and GDK support from MS.

Square-Enix didnt get the memo that Gamepass increases game sales.

This is interesting. Obviously SE doesn't feel like it is worth it to release the game on Xbox (Low sales and not enough people playing on GP). My question is when does MS decide it is not worth it to them to pay SE to put it on GP.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Here's another theory. What if SE got an upfront payment from MS for Octopath Traveller 1 to put it on gamepass. They didn't get an offer with the sequel and skipped the platform based on projected sales.
You guys are morons. They're putting Diofield Chronicles on Xbox. They did the same with Stranger in Paradise. Same with Life is Strange. Same with Star Ocean. The list goes on and on.

I said we will never know the details, but I know for a fact your backwards ass reasoning is not it. If anything, it's a much better opportunity to put the sequel on Xbox after people played the first on Gamepass because millions of people were exposed to the series that way.

If a game is exclusive on Xbox, it's Xbox's fault. If a game is exclusive on PS/Switch, it's Xbox's fault lol. What lol. You honestly think that they look down on Xbox that much that they don't even put games on it? Look at what they release before floating a theory this stupid.

Last edited:

GHG

Take money to put on GP ? Yes, no doubt.

But give money to keep from any other console, especially considering Xbox was the 4th platform the game came out on, 3 years after its initial release ? I veeery highly doubt so.

Why so? You're quick to assume other platform holders are willing to pay money to exclude other platforms, so what's different this time?

Care to give an alternative logical reason as to why it would have never appeared on playstation after the Switch exclusive period ended but yet the sequel is arriving on playstation day one?

reksveks

Microsoft has put themselves in a position where now developers like square enix would probably just rather wait for microsoft to approach them to put their game on gamepass. It is probably not worth it for square to put resources into an xbox port without that gamepass money
Maybe, the question is whether they are in a better or worse position than before. Who knows? As far as SE goes, there doesn't seem to be much consistency. Xbox is getting Diofield Chronicles, Crisis Core and Star Ocean.

Ultimately its a bit of a black box that I don't know if we can figure out.

Forsythia

It's no surprise JRPG's don't sell well on Xbox. Late ports, no guarantee that a sequel will even make it to the console, and the JRPG fanbase is already on PlayStation (and Switch). So I don't know who exactly is to blame when a new one skips Xbox.

adamsapple

Why so? You're quick to assume other platform holders are willing to pay money to exclude other platforms, so what's different this time?

You're commenting in bad faith about a game that didn't even come to Xbox a full 3 years after its initial release. If the first game was day and date on Xbox but not PS, then you'd be close to having a point here. Blaming Nintendo is probably more accurate than MS here.

Care to give an alternative logical reason as to why it would have never appeared on playstation after the Switch exclusive period ended but yet the sequel is arriving on playstation day one?

Because it's Square Enix, a company that routinely makes dumb decisions ?

Three

You guys are morons. They're putting Diofield Chronicles on Xbox. They did the same with Stranger in Paradise. Same with Life is Strange. Same with Star Ocean. The list goes on and on.

I said we will never know the details, but I know for a fact your backwards ass reasoning is not it. If anything, it's a much better opportunity to put the sequel on Xbox after people played the first on Gamepass because millions of people were exposed to the series that way.

If a game is exclusive on Xbox, it's Xbox's fault. If a game is exclusive on PS/Switch, it's Xbox's fault lol. What lol. You honestly think that they look down on Xbox that much that they don't even put games on it? Look at what they release before floating a theory this stupid.
Nice calling me a moron but other games releasing doesn't mean something else not releasing is automatically a moneyhat. If it were then it would apply to Ark 2 not releasing on PS as well but we all know MS doesn't do third party exclusivity moneyhats and it was Sony who made them do these things. Look what you made me do! Everyone else is out to get them. That's the narcissistic thinking going on daily.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Nice calling me a moron but other games releasing doesn't mean something else not releasing is automatically a moneyhat. If it were then it would apply to Ark 2 not releasing on PS as well but we all know MS doesn't do third party exclusivity moneyhats and it was Sony who made them do these things. Look what you made me do! That's the narcissistic thinking going on daily.
If Ark 2 is exclusively on Xbox I'm sure Xbox paid for it. I have no clue what twisted gotcha you think you're nailing here. They also probably did the same with Death's Door, and Rogue Legacy 2.

GHG

You're commenting in bad faith about a game that didn't even come to Xbox a full 3 years after its initial release. If the first game was day and date on Xbox but not PS, then you'd be close to having a point here. Blaming Nintendo is probably more accurate than MS here.

Because it's Square Enix, a company that routinely makes dumb decisions ?

So let me get this straight, it's Nintendo's fault that when the game released on platforms other than the Switch they decided to skip playstation?

Hilarious.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
So let me get this straight, it's Nintendo's fault that when the game released on platforms other than the Switch they decided to skip playstation?

Hilarious.
Why is that hilarious? Same thing is happening with Live A Live. Nintendo has published smaller SQEX games in the past on handhelds, and is probably funding these to some extent. I thought that was obvious. Looks like they're doing the same thing with Harvestella as well.

Last edited:

GHG

Why is that hilarious? Same thing is happening with Live A Live. Nintendo has published smaller SQEX games in the past on handhelds, and is probably funding these to some extent. I thought that was obvious. Looks like they're doing the same thing with Harvestella as well.

You're not following. Not at all.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
How can you say this;

And then say this;

In the same paragraph?

Turning Natalie Portman GIF by foxhorror
Read the post I quoted. It just states it as a certainty. He doesn't know shit about it, and his estimate is counter to basic common sense and fully motivated purely by console wars.

My post on the other hand states up front that we will never know. Then I offer my best guess, stating that it's "likely" which is the opposite of a certain claim. That's not conflicting at all. And my explanation is a lot more rational than his.

Last edited:

yazenov

Lol at port beggers always blaming company X for money hatting games off their platform when the ones to blame are themselves for not buying these types of games. Conspiracy theories much?

Everyone and their grandmas know that Japanese games sell like shit on Xbox No rocket science degree is necessary. But keep the dreams and hope alive by port begging.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Sony and Nintendo are going forces and colluding to conspire against Xbox.

Isn't it obvious?
So SQEX has unique sales projections that state that Octopath II is going to sell massively worse than Diofield Chronicles, Star Ocean, Life is Strange, Power Washing Simulator, Stranger in Paradise, and Crisis Core? That is actually your real claim here, in reality?

GHG

So SQEX has unique sales projections that state that Octopath II is going to sell massively worse than Diofield Chronicles, Star Ocean, Life is Strange, Power Washing Simulator, Stranger in Paradise, and Crisis Core? That is actually your real claim here, in reality?

They have data for the first game's performance on Xbox. Enough so to make a rational business decision regarding a sequel. But all you see is boogeymen. Not my problem.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I never finished the first one. Stagger battle systems are very hit or miss for me. This one missed.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
They have data for the first game's performance on Xbox. Enough so to make a rational business decision regarding a sequel. But all you see is boogy men. Not my problem.
So you wont comment or acknowledge all the other games coming to Xbox then? Do you honestly think that makes any sense at all? Of all of those series, Octopath II has much wider exposure due to previously being on Gamepass. Your claim objectively makes no sense at all.

yazenov

So going by your theory of money hatting off Xbox platforms, why didn't Sony keep Diofield Chronicles, Stranger in Paradise, and Star Ocean off of Xbox? Bad guy Sony not consistent in their money hats?

BTW Tactic Ogre Reborn and Valkyrie Elysium are not on Xbox as well. Damn Sony and their inconsistency.

Last edited:

GHG

So you wont comment or acknowledge all the other games coming to Xbox then? Do you honestly think that makes any sense at all? Of all of those series, Octopath II has much wider exposure due to previously being on Gamepass. Your claim objectively makes no sense at all.

Some of those games you mentioned have Gamepass deals. None of them are sequels to a game that they ported to Xbox and have sales/engagement data for.

The claim that the reason for the sequel appearing day one on every platform but Xbox is the fault of a moneyhat is the one that makes no sense. It's not like the game is getting staggered releases.

Yeah, the rational business decision to take yet another one of Sony's countless moneyhats :messenger_beaming:

This is too good.
  • When a previously exclusive Nintendo game skips playstation and has a deal for Xbox gamepass - no moneyhat, if there is it's probably Nintendo's fault
  • When a game releases day one everywhere apart from Xbox - Sony moneyhat
I'm not even sure if you guys are being sincere anymore. I don't want to believe that to be the case because it is it's very unfortunate.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
So going by your theory of money hatting off Xbox platforms, why didn't Sony keep Diofield Chronicles, Stranger in Paradise, and Star Ocean off of Xbox ? Bad guy Sony is not consistent in their money hats?

BTW Tactic Ogre Reborn and Valkyrie Elysium are not on Xbox as well. Damn Sony and their inconcintency.
I have no idea. The only thing that stands out is that Octopath 1 was on Gamepass. Basic facts would state that means that millions of people were exposed to the game, so maybe they decided to strategically kneecap a game that might actually sell decently on Xbox for a niche genre. We will never know though, but I can't think of any other rational reason.

Valkyrie series has been exclusive on PS in the past so they probably paid for that as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom