• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obsidian is working on another new Project(no not Avowed)

Dolomite

it HAS to be new vegas 2

they know how big a fan base NV has and another fallout is something they themselves are eager to do
I wish but let's be honest Fallout would never be exclusive to a single platform and these guys are shackled by the ankles with MS money bags

Last edited:

Teslerum

News to me, drop a link
Multiple, Sawyer has been talking about it for a long time

Started out here. Not entirly a year (It was september 19'), but yeah. Kate Dollarhyde is also working on it, which doesn't fill me with confidence (Talented imo, but also Obsidian's super SJW)

CitizenX

Banned
Take a name, in this case Obsidian, and just attach it to whatever project you want.

Other than JS and a few others Obsidian is not Obsidian without writers who are now long gone.

Take a name, in this case Obsidian, and just attach it to whatever project you want.

Other than JS and a few others Obsidian is not Obsidian without writers who are now long gone.
This is bull they’re still very talented they’re so far one of the only other studio besides playground that’s actually justifying their purchase with Microsoft right now.

Teslerum

How big is the team?

As I said before, it's *just* a few people. In the beginning it was him and an artist IIRC. Now there's a few more. Still fewer than even Grounded I think though it very well reach that size.
It's more or less a passion project by Sawyer after he got burned out by POE2.

Last edited:

CitizenX

Banned
This is bull they’re still very talented they’re so far one of the only other studio besides playground that’s actually justifying their purchase with Microsoft right now.

Obsidian will always be a good studio but i have played everything with their name on it, except PoE2(which everyone agrees is better than PoE1) but simply look at their track record since NV(which they built in 18 months). A lot of big names have left or moved on, thats life and why Obsidian is just a name. today.

Greeno

Outer Worlds sequel seems like an easy project.
Not really. They need to do a lot of stuff to get TOW2 comparable to Fallout: New Vegas.

* Expand the reputation system.
* Develop a more visceral combat system with debuffs being necessary instead of being optional.
* Develop a grey plot and story.
* Have meaningful outcomes that have impact on the populations of the world.

And much more... It will not be an easy job.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Microsoft: Make whatever you want, don't worry about game sales.

Game Developers: Challenge accepted.

Obsidian will always be a good studio but i have played everything with their name on it, except PoE2(which everyone agrees is better than PoE1) but simply look at their track record since NV(which they built in 18 months). A lot of big names have left or moved on, thats life and why Obsidian is just a name. today.
You can say that about any studio but majority of that work is done by the people we don’t even hear about. You can say the same thing about insomniac since drew Murray left or naughty dog since they lost all that talent. That doesn’t mean naughty dog or insomniac won’t pump out quality games because majority of those core people who made the game are still there.

Greeno

The only big names I can think of that left are Gonzalez (works on Horizon) and Avellone (freelancer). The studio was made for "retirement". Most of the RPG veterans that were popular in the 2000s are at the studio.

Josh Sawyer, the main guy behind New Vegas, still works at Obsidian (as showcased by this thread). Tim Cain and Boyarsky, the guys behind Fallout 1, work at Obsidian. The big names are still there.

I truly believe that Obsidian was struggling these last 10 years. New Vegas was supposed to be a relief, but their bonus was not given (the 84 metacritic situation). Alpha Protocol didn't land well (funds were cut during development according to rumors). It was a really hard time pitching their games when they had such a record of commercial failure following them around (low sales and related stuff).

Hopefully the Microsoft purchase helps them turn a new page.

Last edited:

CitizenX

Banned
You can say that about any studio but majority of that work is done by the people we don’t even hear about. You can say the same thing about insomniac since drew Murray left or naughty dog since they lost all that talent. That doesn’t mean naughty dog or insomniac won’t pump out quality games because majority of those core people who made the game are still there.

Until ND releases a brand new IP, we will see.

CitizenX

Banned
The only big names I can think of that left are Gonzalez (works on Horizon) and Avellone (freelancer). The studio was made for "retirement". Most of the RPG veterans that were popular in the 2000s are at the studio.

Josh Sawyer, the main guy behind New Vegas, still works at Obsidian (as showcased by this thread). Tim Cain and Boyarsky, the guys behind Fallout 1, work at Obsidian. The big names are still there.

I truly believe that Obsidian was struggling these last 10 years. New Vegas was supposed to be a relief, but their bonus was not given (the 84 metacritic situation). Alpha Protocol didn't land well (funds were cut during development according to rumors). It was a really hard time pitching their games when they had such a record of commercial failure following them around (low sales and related stuff).

Hopefully the Microsoft purchase helps them turn a new page.

Sawyer is one of my all time favorite devs, hes basically genius IMO. Avellone was the main writer for all their legendary games and he gone, cancelled though i would hire him in a second. He will not work for Obsidian ever again. You guys thinking $$$$ is a major factor, its not even top 10 to put out a solid product its talent. Obsidian loaded with talent but if you are nit picking placing one here, one there when they always have been one team, lessens the results in most cases.

Sentenza

In a perfect world this would finally be Sawyer’s attempt to make a spiritual success to Darklands as he dreamed for years.

in this reality it will probably be something shitty and half-assed with mass market appeal. Or even worse: a Switch-friendly multiplayers.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
There are like only 10 people on this project. Its not what you think it is. Also, it runs on Unity Engine.

Top Bottom