• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer: Shadow of the Tomb Raider : Now Gen Update Analysis - PS5 | SX | SS | PRO

phil_t98

#SonyToo
44 vs 58 during that scenario. Thanks for wasting my time needing to go back to look checking my sanity.

Denied!
where he "stress tested" the game, he said other than the way he did it that they were both pretty much locked at 60 fps. obvs you jump at the one section that shows the worst for xbox but as he said that was only to test and not how you play the game

I did not overlook it at all, the GPU/RAM is one in the same and the cause of the S code path they took.

To avoid a senseless back and forth, I'll simply end off with this. I think you misrepresented the capabilities of the Series S in comparison to last gen consoles with the following statements.

"There not enough grunt here in the Series S, in the GPU, to hit the Xbox One X levels of performance."

"Unfortunately, the Series S is a bit of a letdown in terms of a next generation console because it doesn't feel anything but a last generation console, it has less options, worse image quality, and overall the only benefit here is you have much better performance than you do on the pro and even on the xbox one x"

I think both these statements grossly misrepresent the Xbox Series S. It's funny you said the part about the Xbox Series S having much better performance than you get on the PS4 Pro or the Xbox One X because, ironically, it's the only aspect of the game thanks to Microsoft's FPS boost program that even takes into consideration the superior hardware capabilities, and even then it would have been even better still were it a fully developed next gen title for Series S that properly took into account its unique capabilities.

You do point out the XDK early on, but most casual viewers won't even know what that even means. It takes a sentence or two to make clear that clear that what's presented isn't in this BC title isn't due to a lack of hardware capability on the Series S hardware side, but more to do with the fact that the game isn't actually designed to take advantage of the Series S. The above statements I quoted do not honestly represent Xbox Series S. It seems to suggest the hardware in Series S is inferior to what's inside the last gen consoles.

Even that second quote would have been totally fine if you simply added "but the reason for this is rather simple, the game being backwards compatible isn't actually designed to benefit from any of the hardware enhancements of the Xbox Series S" If I didn't know any better, I might have watched this and determined "I need to get my hands on a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X, since it's better than the Series S." The worse options and worse image quality stuff could be misconstrued in context to be the fault of the Series S, when in fact it isn't and just exactly what the Xbox One S version of the game is like and the Series S is just emulating that. At the end of the day, just my two cents. We can agree to disagree.

JackMcGunns

NXGamer NXGamer is our guy. Good work my friend.

So, taking the console wars bs, should I care about resolution or frame rate?

Both.

In the history of benchmarking GPUs, no one ever compared a GTX 3070 to a 3080 and said, well this one is running a slightly better framerate at a lower resolution lol. The better option is the one that does both higher resolution and supports VRR for a buttery smooth experience and the best possible visuals. Period.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
To avoid a senseless back and forth, I'll simply end off with this. I think you misrepresented the capabilities of the Series S in comparison to last gen consoles with the following statements.

I think both these statements grossly misrepresent the Xbox Series S. It's funny you said the part about the Xbox Series S having much better performance than you get on the PS4 Pro or the Xbox One X because, ironically, it's the only aspect of the game thanks to Microsoft's FPS boost program that even takes into consideration the superior hardware capabilities, and even then it would have been even better still were it a fully developed next gen title for Series S that properly took into account its unique capabilities.

You do point out the XDK early on, but most casual viewers won't even know what that even means. It takes a sentence or two to make clear that clear that what's presented isn't in this BC title isn't due to a lack of hardware capability on the Series S hardware side, but more to do with the fact that the game isn't actually designed to take advantage of the Series S. The above statements I quoted do not honestly represent Xbox Series S. It seems to suggest the hardware in Series S is inferior to what's inside the last gen consoles.

Even that second quote would have been totally fine if you simply added "but the reason for this is rather simple, the game being backwards compatible isn't actually designed to benefit from any of the hardware enhancements of the Xbox Series S" If I didn't know any better, I might have watched this and determined "I need to get my hands on a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X, since it's better than the Series S." The worse options and worse image quality stuff could be misconstrued in context to be the fault of the Series S, when in fact it isn't and just exactly what the Xbox One S version of the game is like and the Series S is just emulating that. At the end of the day, just my two cents. We can agree to disagree.

To be fair he does state the Xbox series s is the best in terms of performance so am guessing all these frame rate enthusiasts will be getting the series as version 😛😛

as for what the series S is capable of we need only to look at how well it runs flight sim , a game which even the high end pcs struggle with

JackMcGunns

Other than the hair in this case, it’s hardly call it obvious.

Yep, hair has always been a challenge for checkerboard. It can also have a weird effect that's obvious during transitions where the frame is not completed by the checkerboard process, see below.

Best case:
nHMVLJh.png

Worst case when using CB:

29SOCd4.png

Last edited:

John Wick

Series S's advantages go well beyond computational capability. It also has a features like Mesh Shaders and Sampler Feedback Streaming that will absolutely blow Xbox One X out of the water. Sampler Feedback Streaming eliminates entirely the one real advantage Xbox One X had, which was the RAM capacity advantage for games.
Lmfao. So how are any of those features gonna help games that have already been released? The One X had a beefy GPU but a shambles of a CPU. Now we have the SS with a beefy CPU but a weak GPU and limited ram. On games already released the 1X GPU will be better.

Lmfao. So how are any of those features gonna help games that have already been released? The One X had a beefy GPU but a shambles of a CPU. Now we have the SS with a beefy CPU but a weak GPU and limited ram. On games already released the 1X GPU will be better.
Yeah. But taking it even further I’m sure the one x can just produce better graphics overall ; the numbers don’t lie.

Neither do the games ; I doubt you’d ever see a game hitting 540p on one x I.e. dirt 5.
Psychonauts as he posted is an obvious example of the developers favoring the series Xbox consoles... and one x still has a higher resolution than series s.

Banned
Is vrr a meme now? Yeah it helps but are we supposed to to run out and get $1000 Tvs for it?

dude, my almost 3 year old 1200€ TV has Freesync... freesync PC monitors are also a thing since ages (just gotta make sure the Monitor supports it over HDMI not only over Display Port)

there are QHD Freesync IPS monitors for less than $300

freesync is not new tech nor is it necessarily expensive, and HDMI 2.1 VRR will become the new standard now which soon basically every new TV will have

Last edited:
Absolutely, both do, I’m just pointing out that only the PS5 really suffers from the BC shortcomings. Series X was just built with BC in mind and it shows.

I know which is why the PS5 has a pretty big disadvantage with BC. But Native versions seem to improve it a lot and the same goes for the Series consoles.

Not games designed around Series S's architectural strengths, which was my whole point. :)

dude, my almost 3 year old 1200€ TV has Freesync... freesync PC monitors are also a thing since ages (just gotta make sure the Monitor supports it over HDMI not only over Display Port)

there are QHD Freesync IPS monitors for less than $300

freesync is not new tech nor is it necessarily expensive, and HDMI 2.1 VRR will become the new standard now which soon basically every new TV will have
Many people have perfectly good 4k HDR Tvs from before free sync became a thing and you said yourself it cost 1200.

Banned
Many people have perfectly good 4k HDR Tvs from before free sync became a thing and you said yourself it cost 1200.

well it did 3 years ago. back then this was brand new in the TV space and it's a 55" TV as well, so 3 years ago a 55" 120hz Freesync tv for about 1300€ was not bad... now it's 3 years later and HDMI2.1 has a new standard VRR solution that will be adopted by most new TVs soon enough.

also PC monitors for gaming are becoming more popular and not only are there freesync monitors for less than $300, but now also 4K 120hz/144hz HDMI2.1 VRR monitors for about $700

edit: btw, that same TV I have is on many online stores now for 750€. just to show what a 3 year time difference gives you here. so expect similarly speced new models to be around that price

Last edited:
Top Bottom