• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NX Gamer] Control: Ultimate Edition Console Performance Review (PS5 & Xbox Series X|S)

Nobody gave a crap about photo mode as a "GPU benchmark" until DF brought it up to gift a W to Xbox. Nobody runs a car with only the transmission - you also need the engine, and everything else. And you can be damn sure it's not going be a recurring theme, only when convenient. NXGamer following suit and bringing that comparison up is something he'll have to break out of. You gotta be the trend setter, not the trend follower. You don't validate the competition, cause the talk will instead be about the competition, not your video.There are plenty of metrics that DF doesn't note (sometimes for inconvenient reasons). The openings are there.

Other than that, very detailed as always. Cleaned up a lot on naming mix-ups and footage not aligning to voice narration that made his previous videos sometimes a tad confusing. Slowly but surely, an improvement.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Whaaaat? I dunno man Max Payne? That was amazing. I’m not sure I played much of there other stuff - like the map is just really shitty to me. I think the tech is awesome with the physics and the graphics but the fuckin map is super boring imo like I’m not at all into traveling around it - I wish I was cus I’ve always liked telekinesis and it does that super well. I feel like somethings lacking in the gunplay too - like maybe if they had a Max Payne style slow mo thing going on I dunno it feels weird to me.
The ingame map is really bad.

Jagz

NXG is often accused of being PlayStation-biased, but I doubt Sony, who are very woke / Pro BLM, will want anything to do with NXG after the Reee-era incident - which he was in the right about.

NXG is often accused of being PlayStation-biased, but I doubt Sony, who are very woke / Pro BLM, will want anything to do with NXG after the Reee-era incident - which he was in the right about.
What incident? genuinely curious - i don't visit reeera unless there is some big drama

All companies be woke these days. You don't want product boycotts and bad PR - companies follow the current, not go against them. It's not personal.

Last edited:
Nobody gave a crap about photo mode as a "GPU benchmark" until DF brought it up to gift a W to Xbox. Nobody runs a car with only the transmission - you also need the engine, and everything else.

In fairness, it's just being used as benchmark, which is somewhat exciting as we really don't have benchmarking tools (3dmark schores, Cinebench scores, etc) that we have on PC.

Most of these PC benchmarks don't really represent what we experience while playing games either, but they are just tools used to measure performance universally across different hardware.

Obviously, you don't play a game in photo mode. It's just being used as an example of peak performance since the framerate is unlocked in that mode.

The performance during gameplay is the benchmark. Always has been, and always will be the benchmark.

I mean DF was around during the PS3/X360 days. I saw nobody benchmarking PS3's CPU vs. Xbox360 at some random computational task that benefited Cell. Which btw could have been done - just gotta be creative enough, and most importantly, have the incentive to do so. Clearly DF had an incentive to highlight photo-mode that placed the XSX GPU in a favorable light compared to PS5. The folks in denial fall into 3 categories: 1 - truly naive, 2 - indifferent, 3 - keepers of appearances (fronting while knowing).

Last edited:
The performance during gameplay is the benchmark. Always has been, and always will be the benchmark.

Of course, but Photo Mode is the only way to test this game with an uncapped framerate and RT on in Control UE for console. It doesn't mean everything but it counts for something. In computing there are always multiple benchmarks/standards to measure power/performance of a piece of tech.

If all games had uncapped modes where we could see the FR go above 60 (or 30, whatever) then this wouldn't be a new thing to compare. There's a reason why the results are better on one than the other. It's a niche thing but something many of us find interesting nonetheless. You claim to not care, that's fine. Good on you. You don't speak for everyone.

I said from Day One it is nothing worth championing, but it is at least a little bit noteworthy.

I can't help but be curious about what you would be saying if the results were flipped and PS5 was pushing more frames in photo mode.

How important the difference is, is debatable. In my eyes, the difference really doesn't matter, as again, we don't play in photo mode. But a difference exists, you can't just shout it away.

Last edited:

vpance

Will be interesting to see how these head to heads go in true next gen games, when CPU and I/O are getting tapped out to keep up with streaming assets. Seems XSX struggles in those situations.

JimboJones

Why would you even want of that? Nx rarely covers PC at all. Alex on the other hand, does. DF would become a console channel only without Alex, and would become somewhat PS eccentric with his supposed replacement.
Because that's probably what a lot of people want, they don't really care about the analysis they just want to feel good and justify about their purchase. It's a bit sad really.
That said I think he has become a bit more neutral since the ign move which I welcome
Personally Id like to see him team up with a more PC centric person simply to cover more hardware configs and he could concentrate on the console side, maybe something for the future though, I can imagine the workload for 3 platforms at the moment is heavy.

Shmunter

Curious how he confirmed the CPU to be the reason of the stutter and how he confirmed oodle was used.
Alternatively the Xbox port seems to just be the PC port, ideally that’s what Microsoft wanted with the GDK but doesn’t look like much care went into optimizing for the Xbox hardware.
It’s in the video, he contrast the cpu load on pc where he can see what’s happening

(replies came in as I was writing this, so Knitted Knight Knitted Knight )

I think what the test implies is that if the RT mode was uncapped, the XsX would have a performance advantage, though both would swing wildly and not be an enjoyably experience played that way. Just like I would be great if we could play the performance mode uncapped and see what the peak FPS on either console (would one plateau at 72, while the other at 80, for example) But, again, we will never know that, because RT is capped at 30, so all we can go by is the uncapped photo mode.

It's not a perfect metric by any means, but it means something.

The "in game gameplay benchmark" is practically identical between PS5 and XsX outside of the I/O stutters that the XsX version shares with the PC version. NX even says himself that outside of the stutters, the XsX has a very slight edge but they are both within 1% of each other at capped FR.

Anyway, I don't wanna go round and round over this. You seem like a "gotta have the a last word" kinda guy so go ahead and reply whatever you want. I'll move on. We just see this differently. That's cool.

Last edited:

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
NX Gamer articulation and attention to detail is miles ahead of DF's They should have hired this dude and get rid of Alex.
Nah. Alex is fucking great. And DF overall is just a more professional analysis.

Also love NX gamer though.

It’s like everything has to be a tribilized war with gaming. Console wars. Video Game Analysis Channnel wars. Just appreciate what both of them provide.

such an odd affliction many of you have.

Last edited:

isoRhythm

Banned
Poor NXgamer being cancelled on era right now and they are trying to get IGN to drop him. What a sad bunch of bullies.
LMAO
MkDmfDM.png

Yo, who gives a fuck about the comparison! Photomode King, slight stuttering, solid frames, double reflections blah blah blah... This is an NXGamer NXGamer video on the IGN youtube? Very cool stuff! I hope you pick up a shit ton of followers off this analysis! Also, great break down the most in depth breakdown of this game so far! Whatever version you get, it's a great version!

Last edited:
NXG would be wise to stay off politics on both Gaf and Reeera.

You can shit on Reeera like Dictator does on the regular with his diva tantrums and not get a ban but touching politics outside the "consensus" bubble will get you piled and banned.

Kinda funny Dictator has so many simps on Gaf too... many of them knowing full well about his disdain for NeoGaf and how he shits on it from afar. Crazy, but so is the world.

Last edited:

Mabdia

I never thought IGN would give me a reason to watch their clips but NXGamer really does a great job in these analysis-videos
The only thing that i care about ign is NXGamer NXGamer 's work.

Looks like the port was well handled. PS5 and SEX owner will enjoy it.

About the game... I just can't care about the mc to play it. It reminds me too much about Max Paine to me.
00000032681920x1080-1.jpg

Last edited:
I notified in some post in the last thread that one thread of the CPU on PC runs over 80%... the others threads stay low... it that what cause the performance issues on all platform except PS5 I don’t know but seems to be a very likely theory.
To be fair DF spent some time theorizing that the drops on series xs were likely caused by some CPU bottleneck.

Still, it's much better than DF... DF has gotten worse over the years.

Even thou NXGamer said that in photo mode that it shows higher fps on series x is the ps5 lower on that that due to the boosting? Since the game is not in motion the frequency would drop on the ps5?
I have spent some time wondering about this, maybe we are asking the wrong question, maybe it's something happening on the xbox SX side, it may be that when the CPU is not under stress the GPU can stretch its legs (memory contention with the slower pool used for the CPU forces everything down when there is a lot of action). The PS5 would have less of a hit in these situations because the memory is a true single pool.

Otherwise I don't think these consoles would be so close in pretty much every game under full system stress.

Haven't people said that they hear their consoles (or at least Series X) kick into full speed fan when staying in photo mode? I think the mode is still stressing these consoles.
Not the CPU portion, not nearly as much as when the game runs the AI and physics... but sure, the game does stress the system, they do raytracing after all.

Shmunter

Apparently he is banned on Era. This makes him instantly the best tech reviewer out there.

Great analysis with attempt to explain the tech behind the graphics even if a lot of us don't understand all the tech jargon. Something DF used to do before much more.
Nobody of sound mind and ability to think for themselves belongs with those hateful little zealots. They strictly follow their dogma and CNN outrage reporting is their church. I say we leave that part of the useless conversation for good, and discuss the video content.

PC is the only platform that has proper RT, PS5 is pretty close, those on the series x are broken, often missing altogether.

Yeah but in this case and in such example given in the video, only the PS5 has double reflections. Nxgamer theorizes that it's perhaps because of MS Api the DXR.

JimboJones

NXG would be wise to stay off politics on both Gaf and Reeera.

You can shit on Reeera like Dictator does on the regular with his diva tantrums and not get a ban but touching politics outside the "consensus" bubble will get you piled and banned.

Kinda funny Dictator has so many simps on Gaf too... many of them knowing full well about his disdain for NeoGaf and how he shits on it from afar. Crazy, but so is the world.
Now now, let's not call people simps when you simp for a plastic box 😅

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
lol. Politics have ruined the minds of a lot of people.

Some of them thought it was the worst thing in the world when they found out he posted on NeoGAF.

"Wow, he posts on NeoGAF? I guess we know what his views are then."

Now now, let's not call people simps when you simp for a plastic box 😅
True. Then again if you look at it that way everyone simps for something.... whether that be a sports team, a musician, a band, a writer, a painter, a politician, a businessman, a car brand, a shoe brand etc. In other words, not all simping is created equal. For example I have a lot of simps on Gaf, many keep tabs on my posts like hawks for any perceived misstep to drop a one liner - and it's not just normies with particular preferences, but mod(s) as well, after all, they're people too - not immune to feelings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom