• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

These cards will make mince meat of any 4k game I throw at it, going by specs. I think you might be able to turn on ray tracing as well at 30fps.

Looks fake to me.
Like Intel hyperthreading these are probably "virtual" cores.
Real ones are 1/2

well maybe not fake, but they certainly have to reduce complexity versus turing to fit double the core count on the confined area.

question is if they found a way to do this without drawbacks.

Ah shit, I gravely overestimated the pricing on these. I wish I waited now. I was honestly expecting the 3070 to be out of my price range and it's not.

3090 is overpriced nonsense but 3080 and 3070 look like not only incredible performers but really good value.

RIP AMD. Good thing consoles will keep them afloat.
With Ryzen 4 and big navi potentially beating the 3080 I'm sure they'll be just fine.

Last edited:

Starfield

2080_trash.png

(I have a 1080 though)

psorcerer

Banned
Didn't he said that Ampere can run 2 operations on core rather than 1?

Yup, but that means still there are half as many cores.
And 2x operations usually comes with caveats like: issuing? pipeline? etc.
I think it's 2x IPC (just like AMD RDNA2) but in "NV marketing terms"

well maybe not fake, but they certainly have to reduce complexity versus turing to fit double the core count on the confined area.

I just hate all that marketing bullshit.
Say "2x IPC" like everybody else, for fucks sake.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
they can easily overpower the One S if they'll make an Ampere Tegra, and with DLSS2.0 the effective graphics quality can be way above the One S

we don't even know the improvements the new architecture brings, so even if it was on par with the Xbox One in terms of TFLOPs it would most likely still outperform it by far.

don't forget that the Tegra X1 is an EXTREMELY old chip by now (it was released 5!!! years ago), and the Switch doesn't even run it at its spec clocks but underclocks it.
Yeah but also nVidia has not been focusing their work on mobile in the intervening years, you can't necessarily expect this all to just scale at the same rate as on desktop. Plus we're still probably talking off the shelf ARM cores, and Nintendo's conservative targets for power and battery.

We'll see. Obviously this makes me more optimistic than I was but let's not get too carried away.

ZywyPL

Banned
I think everyone will agree with me the thread title should be:

Nvidia RTX Ampere |OT| Double Tripple

Right?

Anyway, NV released the specs on their site:

nv.jpg

Holy shit at those core counts! All the leaks, even the most optimistic ones were wrong. Now the rumored "Big" Navi with 80CU doesn't look big at all anymore, INB4 "leadership 1080p experience" ;D Assuming the cards will reach ~2.1GHz OC, we're looking at 44, 36 and 25TF of raw compute power, this is insane, the jump is even greater than what we saw when going from Maxwells to Pascals. What's even more insane is that all that power will be used 99.99% of the time on 1080-1440p displays lol.. And with additional features like DirectStorage support, NV Reflex, all those fancy AI features for streamers, NV has once again outdid themselves. As usual, next-gen starts when Jensen Huang says so.

AGRacing

Promising... ! But I wouldn't hold any funerals until real benchmarks. Taking NVIDIA's word for % increase in performance has always been a mistake.

AMD will price their highest spec card with whichever of these 3 it can compete with... even if that turns out to be the 3070... but it is crazy to write them off right now.

I think all the work they've been doing with Sony and Microsoft with their architecture comes in this next card.... if it 'can't hang' with the 3080 - I'll be a little surprised.

There is no doubt NVIDIA is keeping an eye on it - because there is NO WAY the 3080 would be $699 if they weren't. That price tells me they're expecting a 3080 competitor.

MastAndo

Gold Member
These specs look pretty impressive. I'm not in the market for a card right now, but still interested to see real-world benchmarks for these (as well as thermals and noise), for if/when I put together a new build next year.

Banned
Yeah but also nVidia has not been focusing their work on mobile in the intervening years, you can't necessarily expect this all to just scale at the same rate as on desktop. Plus we're still probably talking off the shelf ARM cores, and Nintendo's conservative targets for power and battery.

We'll see. Obviously this makes me more optimistic than I was but let's not get too carried away.

the fact that the Switch is such a gigantic success could help tho. I bet Nvidia's mobile development got basically rebooted after it was clear how much of a seller the Switch is, and they have a 10 year deal with Nintendo

Journey

Banned
Did anyone catch what he said about Xbox Series X when talking about Ray Tracing? I was on a work call, so couldn't quite hear.

Irobot82

Next gen begins when nVidia says it begins.

I prefer gaming on Xbox and PC gaming doesn't work for me logistically or how I want to game these days, but damn PC gamers can truly claim the title of PCMR this gen.
We never really lost it. It was only an illusion.

Compsiox

Banned
Well I'll definitely be getting one of these for my next build.

I barely take full advantage of my 2080ti so I'm going to wait.

Yup, but that means still there are half as many cores.
And 2x operations usually comes with caveats like: issuing? pipeline? etc.
I think it's 2x IPC (just like AMD RDNA2) but in "NV marketing terms"

I just hate all that marketing bullshit.
Say "2x IPC" like everybody else, for fucks sake.

yeah. i think it will take a while for people to look through the marketing BS. probably had a reason that they didn't show in game raster performance. it won't be easy to fill those 10000 cuda cores efficiently.

that said im really impressed with what we saw today. especially the no-show when it comes to prices hikes.

Banned
Did anyone catch what he said about Xbox Series X when talking about Ray Tracing? I was on a work call, so couldn't quite hear.

they used it as a comparison point. because Microsoft started using GPU TFLOP performance comparisons for their raytracing performance (which is easier to visualise for many compared to Nvidias former GigaRay numbers)

the Series X's RT cores have the raytracing performance of a 13TF GPU, as in you would need a 13TF GPU in order so simply calculate the ray intersections that the RT cores can do... and these new Ampere cards also use that metric now to advertise their RT performance

Last edited:

GymWolf

Of course it is , depends on what resolution and target FPS you're seeking . 2070Super > 2080Ti is a good jump but 3080 destroyed the 2080Ti
my target is 4k60, not that interested in rtx except if i already have 4k60 with good details and i have power to spare.

psorcerer

Banned
yeah. i think it will take a while for people to look through the marketing BS. probably had a reason that they didn't show in game raster performance. it won't be easy to fill those 10000 cuda cores efficiently.

I'm pretty sure they are heavily VRAM bandwidth starved in 3080. Otherwise 30TF -> 2x2080 (non-Ti) is just a joke

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
the fact that the Switch is such a gigantic success could help tho. I bet Nvidia's mobile development got basically rebooted after it was clear how much of a seller the Switch is, and they have a 10 year deal with Nintendo
Yeah, one would certainly hope.

Hezekiah

Banned
imagine calling 1500 bucks for a gpu cheap.
You've called them 'junk' so what do you care? Why are you even on the thread?

These cards will make mince meat of any 4k game I throw at it, going by specs. I think you might be able to turn on ray tracing as well at 30fps.
Yep and I'm at 3440*1440 so Cyberpunk is going to run like a dream. I'll surely be able max out at 120fps for the most part, though I wonder what penalty raytracing will incur.

$700, so £700 surely
Pisstake if it is, should be £600 max looking at other consumer electronics (for example phones).

longdi

Banned

using the same methodology (counting) as MS Xbox, Nvidia RT cores (referring to old Turing) is effectively a 34TF shaders

Last edited:
Top Bottom