• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia image scaling should be the beginning of the end to 30fps gaming. No excuse not to have 60fps now.

Knightime_X

I feel like this is it.
This is what gaming needs.

The question is...
Outside of Image or Performance mode, what would you call AI enhanced modes?
Enhanced Quality-performance mode?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hopefully this will spell the end of shitty 30fps games on switch.
At the very least, Switch 2.

ckaneo

Yall say this every single time. But judging by reaction threads to things like Halo, Elden Ring, or everything on the switch lol, graphics are important. Not the end all be all but the processing power saved with stuff like Nvidia image scaling can also be used to add more shit whether more graphics or objects to the screen bringing us right back to 30 fps.

Last edited:

Hydroxy

30fps will never go away. It will still be here long after we are all dead and Earth is no longer a habitable planet. We will take 30fps with us to a different planet if we make it to another world, although i am not sure how fps works outside Earth but 30fps will still be around in some form

sertopico

I don't know, I leave these basically meaningless code dumps to peasants. Those are just crumbles from nvidia. Who would use NIS over DLSS?

PS: I own a 3090.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I think you do have a point OP, in the same way that DLSS is used to get games up to 4K on 30 series GPUs, NIS/FSR could be used to bring consoles up to a certain standard. Could being the operative word, because we all know what the reality could easily end up being, as post 2 said: it could be a crutch devs lean on to make sure they hit that 30 baseline as opposed to the ideal 60 baseline. Which is fine when performance modes exist - that's why they exist.

As you say, Nintendo hardware that is famously modest would benefit the most in bringing better IQ to the table. Something like BOTW, that struggled quite a bit, would see massive improvements.

Kenpachii

I think you do have a point OP, in the same way that DLSS is used to get games up to 4K on 30 series GPUs, NIS/FSR could be used to bring consoles up to a certain standard. Could being the operative word, because we all know what the reality could easily end up being, as post 2 said: it could be a crutch devs lean on to make sure they hit that 30 baseline as opposed to the ideal 60 baseline. Which is fine when performance modes exist - that's why they exist.

As you say, Nintendo hardware that is famously modest would benefit the most in bringing better IQ to the table. Something like BOTW, that struggled quite a bit, would see massive improvements.

The problem is if they have DLSS as standard as extra performance boost basically in all games they will just let the game run like shit with DLSS active. DLSS etc are only good if the base game was made by not taking that performance into account, because its bonus performance then.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
"Nvidia" Image scaling isnt new, Nvidia just updated it, weve had the feature in the control panel for over 2 years.
Ninty and Ninty devs have had access to image scaling.
We still have 30fps games on Nintendo Switch and console.

I do think the advent of Performance and Quality modes is whats gonna get rid of 30fps only games on PS5/XSX.
You want 60fps you got a mode for that, you want 30fps with better graphics you got a mode for that.

Yeah 30fps is still going to be thing.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I mean... the fact consoles use an AMD GPU and not Nvidia would seem like a pretty legitimate reason to not use this technology.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Some people prefer IQ and detail over temporal resolution, how hard is that to understand 🤦‍♂️

Those reconstruction methods as amazing as they are, like Insomniac's proprietary method, UE TAAU and DLSS do NOT give you the same image as native, I can see the difference without zooming on my display in compressed screenshots that aren't fullscreen, so natively and fullscreen would be an even bigger difference.

I totally get that many people either don't notice the difference or don't consider it a big enough difference to sacrifice all those frames at the altar of the IQ-god but it doesn't mean others feel that way.

Looking at 8K downsampled on my 4K display is a fucking marvel of depth, colour vibrancy, contrast and general beautifulness and I will always sacrifice 60fps to get it outside of the usual reasons not to, ie specific genres and engine lag, among other things.

Last edited:
I am no expert in game development but I think you need to do more than just include "resolution scaling" to improve frame rate in games.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I remember seeing the rumored specs for PlayStation 2 and saying “wow, 6.4 GFLOPs?? All games from now on will be 60 fps for sure”

SpokkX

isnt this a more basic solution, not AI based like DLSS?

more similar to TLAA (using parts of the previous frames etc)

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Talk about PC.

I still want 30fps games on consoles… some games can have a great boost in IQ with 30fps.

ethomaz

Banned
isnt this a more basic solution, not AI based like DLSS?

more similar to TLAA (using parts of the previous frames etc)
Yes. It is a very basic scaling algorithm just like AMD FSR.

Most games have it own scaling implemented by devs… the nVidia solution is at driver level so any game can use it without need dev implementation.

Last edited:

tygertrip

Some people prefer IQ and detail over temporal resolution, how hard is that to understand 🤦‍♂️

Those reconstruction methods as amazing as they are, like Insomniac's proprietary method, UE TAAU and DLSS do NOT give you the same image as native, I can see the difference without zooming on my display in compressed screenshots that aren't fullscreen, so natively and fullscreen would be an even bigger difference.

I totally get that many people either don't notice the difference or don't consider it a big enough difference to sacrifice all those frames at the altar of the IQ-god but it doesn't mean others feel that way.

Looking at 8K downsampled on my 4K display is a fucking marvel of depth, colour vibrancy, contrast and general beautifulness and I will always sacrifice 60fps to get it outside of the usual reasons not to, ie specific genres and engine lag, among other things.
That's why PC is the king of have-it-your-way!

Talk about PC.

I still want 30fps games on consoles… some games can have a great boost in IQ with 30fps.
Yeah and couldn't you use the scaling technology AND 30fps for an even BETTER image? I mean, anything that 60fps can do, 30fps can do BETTER every single time.

Whether you LIKE 30fps or not is another story.

Personally, I'm fine with 30fps if it means I'm getting the best visuals possible.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It changes nothing.
If this scaling will be a 100% used tech, then games will just be graphically developed with it in mind.
I personally am fine with 30fps games if this means 60fps will not yield us games like uncharted 4 or god of war

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
On pc? Nah raytracing will just get bigger and tank everything for the next 10 years.

Hugare

Bahahaha, yeah, right

I use DLSS to turn on more RT features. Higher resolutions, more effects.

Developers will do the same. Prioritize graphics over performance.

Specially on the Switch 2. First thing they will do is to up the resolution.

You guys never learn

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I have yet to find a game where 60 fps isn't more pleasant to play. Assuming proper frame pacing. Unless we are talking about visual novels then I don't consider them games as much as movies.

I don't usually watch games, I play them

Last edited:
Top Bottom