• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GeForce RTX: Game On Event on January 12, 05:00PM GMT

LordOfChaos

So they did something like AMD Smartshift, and went one step further (I think?) by including memory power into the equation.

I'm not going to say something dumb like the PS5 is ahead of these GPUs, but it's interesting how many concepts sound similar to the road to PS5, first with RTX IO [and to preempt this, yes I'm aware of DirectStorage, which is still CPU side calls], frame by frame continuous turbo, and allowing faster CPU snooping into GPU memory is one step towards unified memory consoles in general with resizable BAR.

Last edited:

lukilladog

Wait, wait, so the standard basic 3060 gets 12GB VRAM, ...but a 3060Ti, 3070 and 3080 only get 8GB/10GB VRAM??

Are they doing this on purpose?

Nvidia would not reduce profit per card without a very good reason. I guess it was planned to be a 6gb card but realized too late that the first batch of next gen games in development is already underperforming on 6gb, and they didn´t want to pull a 3.5+.5gb again.

Fredrik

sure show me a brand new pc game running on the 3080 that comes close to TLOU2 running on a 7 year old console,

GWBg1Hb.jpg

Is this close enough? 😉
Ultra, 60+ fps, 1080ti

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm super excited for these gaming laptops. I bought one last year with a 2060 and while it was good at 1080p, it just didn't quite have it. The 3060 having better performance than the 2080 Super is amazing news, especially considering they are starting at $999 compared to the $2k+ of 2080 Super laptops.

Assuming the pandemic calms down and business travel starts back up for me, I'm definitely going to be in the market for a 1440p 3080 laptop. Hopefully with a screen that has VRR.

YCoCg

Nvidia would not reduce profit per card without a very good reason. I guess it was planned to be a 6gb card but realized too late that the first batch of next gen games in development is already underperforming on 6gb, and they didn´t want to pull a 3.5+.5gb again.
So rather than put in 8GB of VRAM or even 10GB of VRAM if they were pushed, ...they give the weakest card in the line up so far 12GB of VRAM, which is second highest only to the top tier card? Nah bro, they fucked up here, they knew they got heat for only putting in 8GB of VRAM in the 3060Ti/3070 and were called out on how the 3080 only had 10GB of VRAM compared to the 2080Ti's 11GB, but instead of standing by their tactic, which MANY people on this forum defended and said was a calculated choice as "no games will use more than 10GB of VRAM!", they buckled but gave the higher VRAM to the weaker cards!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So rather than put in 8GB of VRAM or even 10GB of VRAM if they were pushed, ...they give the weakest card in the line up so far 12GB of VRAM, which is second highest only to the top tier card? Nah bro, they fucked up here, they knew they got heat for only putting in 8GB of VRAM in the 3060Ti/3070 and were called out on how the 3080 only had 10GB of VRAM compared to the 2080Ti's 11GB, but instead of standing by their tactic, which MANY people on this forum defended and said was a calculated choice as "no games will use more than 10GB of VRAM!", they buckled but gave the higher VRAM to the weaker cards!

It's weird for sure, but I'm almost certain it has something to do with the memory modules they have on hand rather than some capitulation to consumer demands.

There's no world in which a 3060 is going to meaningfully take advantage of 12GB of VRAM.

Top Bottom