• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia DLSS Evolved: Digital Foundry Analysis

Nydus

To be honest the difference between, let's say 1440p and 4k, is hard to see on my TV when I sit ~2m away. So it's better for me to enjoy some nice raytracing effects with a framerate locked to 60. And all with one click. So that's nice.

But that's my preference (FPS/visual fidelity over pure resolution).

Dr.D00p

Having played through this my only take away from the game, when it comes to visuals, is that unless you play it at native 4K, the image quality is utterly appalling..

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Power to whoever wants whatever, but I can’t stand any of this. Usually it’s too blurry for my eyes, and I just can’t use it at all, not on pc. I expect crisp clear visuals there.

Then again I can run gears 5 in insane detail 4k without dropping too bad so why would I, lol.

I saw this on reddit:

qdhnfc6y43k31.png

Apparently the GeForce Experience freestyle sharpen filter fixes some of the blurred image that DLSS produces.

Siri

Banned
Control has the best implementation of DLSS of any game to date - and initially I loved it because (with only a minor degradation in image quality) my RTX 2080 Ti (9900k) was pumping out roughly 60 FPS at 3440x1440, instead of the roughly 35 FPS I was getting with DLSS disabled.

But now I can’t get past the slightly degraded image quality. It’s a minor degradation, but it is noticeable, and unfortunately it’s the sort of thing that drives me crazy.

So now I’m back to playing, maxed out, at roughly 35 FPS.

That said, this engine also has one of the best ‘g-sync implementations’ of any game out there. I’m detecting no frame-time issues whatsoever. 35 FPS is never smooth - but in this game (g-sync enabled) it’s smooth, if you understand my meaning.

ZywyPL

Banned
I don't buy it. If I'd want a soft, blurry 4K image I'd get a one of those 100$ "4K" TV and call it a day, but isn't the whole 4K idea all about sharp, crystal clear image? Why not settle down for proper 1080p instead of going for higher but actually fake resolutions? DLSS was marketed as a supersampling replacement at the beginning, for like zero performance drop, which was indeed a neat idea, but now it's just one of those upscalling techniques, which by default will never be as good as your display's native resolution, because that's how displays work. DLSS wouldn't be needed if NV put double the amount of RT cores in Turign GPUs, instead of Tensor cores. It's like a car with two spare wheels, instead of four proper tires, why would anyone want to do that?

sertopico

Control has the best implementation of DLSS of any game to date - and initially I loved it because (with only a minor degradation in image quality) my RTX 2080 Ti (9900k) was pumping out roughly 60 FPS at 3440x1440, instead of the roughly 35 FPS I was getting with DLSS disabled.

But now I can’t get past the slightly degraded image quality. It’s a minor degradation, but it is noticeable, and unfortunately it’s the sort of thing that drives me crazy.

That said, this engine also has one of the best ‘g-sync implementations’ of any game out there. I’m detecting no frame-time issues whatsoever. 35 FPS is never smooth - but in this game (g-sync enabled) it’s smooth, if you understand my meaning.
Thank god they learned the lesson from Quantum Break. As it got published frametime was all over the place and GSync did not work properly.

Mithos

In every: "1080 TAA to 2160p" vs "1080p DLSS to 2160p" vs "2160p to 2160p" comparison shot the DLSS was the one that looked bad.
I love how he talks about the shadow and stuff and yet that's where the DLSS version looks worse then the other two...
And yet every single time he praised DLSS...

Kenpachii

Dunno man, i got a gsync monitor and anything below the 60 fps in the game still feels janky as hell, also microstutter is still a thing.

Maybe they specifically optimized it for a 2080ti or something.

I have no issue's in any other game with gsync works pretty much the same, so best gsync implementation not really.

Top Bottom