• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia CEO: GeForce RTX 3080 and 3090 Shortages To Last Until 2021

Type_Raver

Bring it on AMD, punch a hole in their absence.

While I have a 3080 on order waiting to be filled (about 1mth away), I sure hope RDNA2 can throw its weight around and contend at the high end. If so, and stock is available, ill happily cancel the 3080 and switch to RDNA2.

pr0cs

I like Nvidia, have since the days of them battling 3DFX, but I also think that Jensen Huang is probably the biggest douche in gaming these days.

I pray to dark and unholy gods that AMDs next card is close to a 3080 or at least a 2080TI, I'm absolutely itching to
1) upgrade my GPU
2) switch camps away from Nvidia

kiphalfton

If I can pop an AMD card into my computer and it doesn't have any issues running games or whatever, I would get one. Turing sucked, and Ampere seems good, but there's no freaking stock.

Malakhov

Banned
No supply issue even though we rushed it and didn't even bother sending drivers to 3rd party.

As Arthur Morgan would say: Shooore.

Last edited:

Reallink

I'm not 100% convinced they'll ever be readily available. There are clearly significant manufacturing issues based on leaked and derived allocation numbers. The crypto craze with it's multi-year perpetual shortages and 2-3x price gouging proved GPU production capacity is finite and exists on a razor thin edge. This strongly suggests the entire dGPU industry isn't really possible or sustainable at high volume. This isn't something that's just going to magically fix itself in January or February.

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
Man, all the bullshit of bad economy and people not spending...... Then suddenly people are fighting to spend $1000s on entertainment devices and graphics card.
It's 1000s, not 10s of 1000s. People can afford to buy a new iPhone, new PC and console. Nothing more.

PC/console upgrade happens like once in 5 years. People change their phones like once in 3 years. Couple of 1000s in 3/5 years? Not a big deal.

Lifestyle changes. Previous generations were proud of their 1st car, first house, etc...Now car sales are down, there are very few people who can afford to buy a home (only rent), very few people who spend BIG money.

"Smart consumerism" is real and it slowly kills the economy.

Reindeer

Would not really count on that based on what kind of yields are now on Consoles.
I don't know, Sony at least is looking to ship more PS5s than they did PS4s in the holiday season. Microsoft might be looking to do the same.

Compsiox

Banned
I don't regret getting my 2080ti late in the game. It's an amazing card and I didn't have to stress about picking one of these up.

Also it helps to find out that these cards aren't as powerful as they were initially made out to be.

Edit: Moreover, the widespread capacitor issue also solidifies my feelings.

Last edited:

Nydus

I don't regret getting my 2080ti late in the game. It's an amazing card and I didn't have to stress about picking one of these up.

Also it helps to find out that these cards aren't as powerful as they were initially made out to be.

The capacitor issues are debunked for days now.

EDMIX

smh, Likely going to just wait till ending of next year for my new build. I've been putting it off for years, will just wait as this GPU shortage thing is crazy and my current set up works just fine for work still so...... we shall wait.

Porcile

I knew there would be shortages when I had to wait over a week for a PSU to come into stock. Even though they announced these cards a week after I built my rig I don't have any regrets about buying an older card.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I like Nvidia, have since the days of them battling 3DFX, but I also think that Jensen Huang is probably the biggest douche in gaming these days.

I pray to dark and unholy gods that AMDs next card is close to a 3080 or at least a 2080TI, I'm absolutely itching to
1) upgrade my GPU
2) switch camps away from Nvidia

I think its a pretty safe bet AMDs range topper will be RTX 3070+ levels in rasterization performance.

The RTX 3080 I dont see AMD having something that can beat that.....the 3080 is an absolute monster of a GPU, looking at the last few generations this is one of Nvidias best gen on gen upgrades and the actual performance per dollar is better than the 3070.....an xx70 not being the bang for buck king shows just how good a card the 3080 actually is.
Ive never been a range topper buying, but this is the first generation im seriously contemplating a range topping card.....the last time I did that was the 6800GS(Ultra)....and I guess the 8800GTS even though it wasnt meant to be the range topper.

I think the market will playout something like this in pure rasterization

RX 6500XT
RTX 3060
RTX 3070
RX 6700XT
RX 6900XT
RTX 3080
RTX 3090

I believe their mid/high will trump the RTX 3070....then the range topper wont quite catch the RTX 3080.

But I would be pleasantly surprised if they could deliver a 3080-ish performing card.....but that would be a tall order.
In raster performance I think only the RTX 3070 needs to be worried....at ~500 dollars I believe AMD could release something better.

Once we get to Raytracing the table will change alot with Nvidia taking over the top end with their 70,80 and 90 cards.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Not really what I want to hear when it seems that FedEx lost track of my 3080FE. I hope Nvidia reserved some stock to replace failed units and shipping incompetence.

It was basically a paper launch. They never had supply to begin with.
Nope plenty of supply confirmed from not only Nvidia but also from retailers themselves. Its just that demand is unprecedented. PC gaming keeps gaining popularity and most gaming adults forgot about outdated next gen consoles after the Ampere reveal.

It was basically a paper launch. They never had supply to begin with.

AIB partners, stores and even the guys from 3D Mark said its at least the same volume of cards as previous gens, if not more. They trully didnt prepare for this kind of demand. I mean, when you launch cards for 10 years and you have a certain level of demand, you go from there. Then you launch the 3080 and stores have higher traffic than black friday - who could have anticipated that ? Black friday ? Thats insane.

A paper launch means that there is no stock. Literally. The stores are empty, meaning zero. Its not a paper launch because so many people want them that they arent enough for everyone

kiphalfton

Not really what I want to hear when it seems that FedEx lost track of my 3080FE. I hope Nvidia reserved some stock to replace failed units and shipping incompetence.

Fedex sucks.

I thought they lost my LG B9 last year, but it was just a matter of them not having updated the tracking... between the east coast (origin) and the west coast (destination).

They also let packages sit at their location for several days, making you think maybe they lost it.

I guess this what happens when all the basic people start getting PC's FML. I ain't gonna be able to run Cyberpunk on a 980Ti.

I think I'm double fucked because of Brexit too. RIP me.

llien

No its a supply issue. Not enough supply to meet demand. It's not the consumer fault that they underestimated demand (which I dont believe for a second anyways).

It is very obviously AMD's fault that it beat GA104 so decisively, Huang needed to roll out 10GB GA102 at $699.

Senua

I guess this what happens when all the basic people start getting PC's FML. I ain't gonna be able to run Cyberpunk on a 980Ti.

I think I'm double fucked because of Brexit too. RIP me.
You aren't? The game is going to run on an Xbox One from 2013.

I think you'll be fine at 1080p, maybe not every setting maxed but 980ti is still way more powerful than XB1 and PS4, which the game will run on.

yeah but the console version will run at 900p with medium and low details with some lower than lowest possible on pc and droping down to 15 frames in heavier scenes. So even with a much stronger card than consoles, you'll still have a hard time

GymWolf

In an ideal world these fuckers would open 2-3 new factories to build more gpu instead of coming out with these bullshits excuses.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Works for me, I'm looking to build a new rig in November/January because of the AMD 5000 series and the shortages of nVIDIA 3000 series and the upcoming AMD 6000 series. All of this because I didn't get my pre-ordering in on the PS5.

I think you'll be fine at 1080p, maybe not every setting maxed but 980ti is still way more powerful than XB1 and PS4, which the game will run on.

Not happening. Maybe I'm just pissed that my day 1 order still hasn't shown up because every AIB is out scalping their own products thus their is a 'shortage'

Or Nvidia shitting the bed and just making this a paper launch.

GymWolf

I can almost hear your teeth grinding and your forehead getting grumpy from my home in sicily dude.
tenor.gif

joking :lollipop_blowing_kiss:

Bkdk

They could just raise price To &999 a piece and see their stock flying past 600 immediately.

Top Bottom