• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Hundred RTX 4090s With Melted Power Connectors Repaired Every Month, Says Technician

Spyxos

Gold Member
9CuLxtsFF2WWFmgkpgFNHE-650-80.png.webp

The saga continues over a year after the first problems with GeForce RTX 4090's melted 12VHPWR connectors were reported. A NorthridgeFix repairman claims he must fix about a hundred GeForce RTX 4090 graphics cards with failed connectors every month. He insists the connector failures are not user error, but issues with the connector design.

"We get about 20 to 25 [GeForce RTX] 4090 [graphics cards] a week," the repairman said in a NorthbridgeFix YouTube video."

This volume highlights just how common the issue is with this model. To illustrate how many GeForce RTX 4090 graphics boards come to repairs, the repairman said he had to get a half-mask respirator and an air purifier to protect his health when he fixes the melted connectors.

demigod

I have installed 3 4090s with the new corsair psu since May. One of the comp is my son’s which we leave on 24/7. ZERO melting.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
If this was actually impacting a meaningful percentage of customers, we'd see lawsuits and a recall.

It's a bunch of FUD as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Any chance some of those 4090's are not claimed by the owner? I could use a new video card. Just send it my way. No problem, I'll take a little plastic melt here and there.

• LOL
Reactions: RNG

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
My launch gigabyte gaming OC is taking quite well. I don't wish it upon anybody including myself. I guess I'll have to cross that road when I get there

I have installed 3 4090s with the new corsair psu since May. One of the comp is my son’s which we leave on 24/7. ZERO melting.
You sound like a very generous individual. DMing you my PayPal info, please donate to Elder Legend's lamborghini Chairty. It's for a good cause. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I don't recall them saying that was the only issue.

It was

The revision on the cable is to change the position of the 4 sensor pints slighting higher as to just make sure that the power supply will really send power if the pins detect that the cable is seated properly.

Crayon

Well. It sounds funny to say about a gpu but... that's a lot of power. Be careful and check those connections. They definitely could have come up with a better connector but yeah... be careful. Common sense.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Still shocked by this, I've had my 4090 (FE) running overclocked sense day 1, moved it many times for fun system rebuilds, and havnt had any issues what so ever. I wonder if its a manufacturing issues or a user issue. If its a user issue than obviously nvidia made a design mistake for so many users to screw up pushing the plug in too little.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
One thing I know is before I got a new case for my new build, my 4080 was so giant that I couldn’t close the side panel without essentially kinking off the power connector. I wonder if people are just cramming that behemoth in there and not taking care to not essentially break the cable.

//DEVIL//

I am sorry but I have to say he sounds like a liar. there are no 100s of 4090s out there.

only me and couple of sad gaffers like me and some lost nerds here and there scattered around the world.

Edit: at his calculations. he is getting 1200 card per year at least. ill just say this... LoL liar LoL

Also. those things are covered with warrently for 3 years ( most warranties are anyway from zotac to asus ). why 100s of them being fixed at his place ? lol

Last edited:

hlm666

Where is this guy? the probability of so many failures in just this one repair persons area seems a little far fetched. If this is actually true something must be really fucked with the power grid where ever he is, or they all got their hardware from aliexpress.

Also. those things are covered with warrently for 3 years ( most warranties are anyway from zotac to asus ). why 100s of them being fixed at his place ?
This is actually a really good point. Who the hell is not going to rma a $1600 piece of hardware under warranty.

edit: work friend just said maybe his repairs are shit and it's the same 10 cards coming back over and over lol (it was a joke)

Last edited:

Admerer

Just going to add some info, this guy is probably getting a lot of 4090s to repair because CableMod is sending cards to him to repair that have burned connector's due to CableMods issue with its 90 degree adapters.

Cablemod recommends to go through manufacturers warranty and if denied they take care of it ( by sending to this guy).

Link for reference,

Last edited:
Top Bottom