• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Hey Smoke can you help me with a list of parts i need if i get this card?

lol you probably don't need Smokey giving you purchasing advice

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

Kvik

Aaand my 8 months old 980 SLI setup is now rendered obsolete. :-\

Where's that The Witcher 3 benchmark for 2x 980 Ti in 4K, that's the one I'm really keen to see.

bodine1231

If I would have waited 45 minutes longer I would have lost out on $400. I bought a Titan X exactly 15 days ago from Best Buy online,which is their max return limit. As soon as I saw the 980TI pop up I was able to order one from Nvidia,take out my Titan X,drive to work to print out a receipt and then drive over to Best Buy right before closing and get my $1100 back.

phew-so-let-s-talk-about-michelle-rodriguez-the-minority-hero-debate.gif

Now I'm stuck using my Intel graphics chip until it comes in so no Witcher 3 but I got overnight so hopefully early this week. (I want a second one too)

So if Nvidia is going all out like this, that can only mean that the 390/x is going to be pretty awesome, right? Nvidia does not toss a bone lightly.

When is AMD dropping 300 series?

That or they are planning on this being a game ending move by them. AMD GPU's are already at one of their lowest adoption rates ever, they may be using this as a final "We run this" moment to AMD.

That or yes, the 390X is a true monster.

Skyzard

Banned
At default, once it hits 82C, the card starts downclocking and fan really kicks in. You can raise it to 90C, but it's even more loud.

Actually that's pretty much the same with my 780ti sc with the atx cooler...

That's what happens when I'm making the most out of the card anyway - maybe that's just how they work at high loads...will definitely get the cooler yeah.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
"But can it run Hairworks?"

Something has finally dethroned Crysis as the go-to inquiry.

Darknight

Im not into the whole PC movement mind you but why are people saying this is a "game ending move" by nvidia?

As far as I can see, AMD can become a partner with Sony/MS and wipe Nvidia out in the future.

Sargon

So do we think custom cooler cards are going to be available right away, or will it be reference-only to start and then custom coolers at a later date?

Im not into the whole PC movement mind you but why are people saying this is a "game ending move" by nvidia?

As far as I can see, AMD can become a partner with Sony/MS and wipe Nvidia out in the future.

Just look at where the money is, and how well AMD is doing, and the market share.

AMD having console contracts basically means not too much because they make so little per unit.
GPU wars.

Actually, it is kind of a big deal. NV taking over all ranges of the GPU space is quite an important (bad) thing that could happen.

dacalo

Anyone have an idea when Pascal is supposed to drop besides it supposed to happen sometime in 2016? Itching to upgrade from a 660 Ti but heard Pascal is supposed to be huge leap.

Just you watch, AMD is going to get their GPUs in the PS5 and the Xbox Two and Nvidia will be salty and go bankrupt. Again.

johntown

Banned
"But can it run Hairworks?"

Something has finally dethroned Crysis as the go-to inquiry.
Nothing can run Hairworks in 4k.

Card seems nice for sure but the gains seem minimal. I think I will hold out for the next gen cards in a year or so.

Darknight

Just look at where the money is, and how well AMD is doing, and the market share.

AMD having console contracts basically means not too much because they make so little per unit.

Actually, it is kind of a big deal. NV taking over all ranges of the GPU space is quite an important (bad) thing that could happen.

I agree.

If there is no competition, Nvidia can slack off and keep their pricing up while not offering any substantial improvements.

Because this is the current GPU market share graph

bNqJYgA.png

Nvidia is currently destroying AMD in market share, more now than basically any point in time ever. And now they drop this bomb.

In terms of market share this is a MAJOR move

AJLma

Wipe nVidia out? What?

If anything, this card represents an enormous leap forward for nVidia and PC gaming as a whole.

AMD is once again too late, and possibly with too little. I was rooting for them but at this point Fiji needs to be 15% faster at least for anyone to care after this being this late to market.

Lulubop

Lol

Dat alliance, Nvidia gonna have to call Nintendo for back up in this GPU war future.

Social

Will hang on to my 750ti for a bit longer seeing as all cross platform games will run great on it until PS5

Fragment

Been waiting over a year to build a new PC so I could finally play all the games I've been missing out on over the past few years (currently on a first gen core2duo + radeon 7800).

Been so disappointed with everything Intel/AMD/Nvidia have been doing the last few years basically recycling the same tech for CPUs/GPUs.

I had finally come to a point where I just didnt want to wait any longer and have been planing to build a gaming PC with a 970 since IMO a 980 or titan X just weren't worth it.

A 980 TI at $650 from the king of price gougers that are NVIDIA? - This came as a surprise to me considering I'd been hearing rumors of an $800 price point.

I'll wait to see what AMD does with Fiji but I just don't see myself buying a GPU with only 4gb of vram over a card with 6gb no matter the bandwidth.

Good on Nvidia to finally release a decent card with an ok price point.

I'm ordering two. SLI 780s, while awesome over the years, are starting to show their VRAM limits at 1440p. Going to 980tis will not only allow for better performance, but downsampling from beyond native.

I'm bloody excited now!

We get it, you have money!

*cries*

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

The amount AMD makes from consoles is dwarfed many time over, by what Nvidia makes in the dedicated GPU space.

By conceding the console contracts, Nvidia was essentially giving AMD the bread crumbs from a much larger feast.

CyrusUrus

Neo Member
Because this is the current GPU market share graph

bNqJYgA.png

Nvidia is currently destroying AMD in market share, more now than basically any point in time ever. And now they drop this bomb.

In terms of market share this is a MAJOR move

Not really, 600$ GPU's are never the big sellers. What matters is how good AMD's mid range 3XX GPU's are.

Skyzard

Banned
The amount AMD makes from consoles is dwarfed many time over, by what Nvidia makes in the dedicated GPU space.

By conceding the console contracts, Nvidia was essentially giving AMD the bread crumbs from a much larger feast.

PC graphics thread mang :p We want better pc cards. Sure amd can live to fight another day probably but what's the point if they can't compete.

jdmonmou

Can anyone give me tips on how to be alerted the moment Amazon or Newegg starts selling? I've got the itch to upgrade and I've been waiting for this moment.

I would love to help him, but the tears in my eyes are getting in the way. Adam pls ;_;

Shhh no tears. Only bats now.

Just waiting for it to go up on Amazon to see how much it'll cost to ship and/or if the custom cooler variants are much more. Does anyone know when listings usually go up?

Pretty sure the 780ti was a huge seller, this will be even bigger.

Doesn't matter if they sell well or not, his (correct) point is that the high-end is a tiny fraction of total graphic card sales. An overwhelming majority of it is in the ~$200 range.

Even if Fiji stomps the 980 Ti, it won't really do much for AMD's overall marketshare. They need clear winners in the $150-300 bracket.

Doesn't matter if they sell well or not, his (correct) point is that the high-end is a tiny fraction of total graphic card sales. An overwhelming majority of it is in the ~$200 range.

It does matter. Nvidia already completely own the market in general. Dude they have a 76% market share. AMD at this point is being totally driven out of the market.

This move and price was made for ONE reason. To continue Nvidia's market share, anyone thinking anything else are mistaken. Nvidia doesn't just mark down price on their new cards for the hell of it. The move was made to take the thunder from the 300 series announcement.

This isn't GPU warz its facts. We have the graph and we can see the trends. The 980ti as we have it and at the price it is was designed to counter the 300 series announcement.

This card is going to stay supreme for the rest of the year, right? I'm building in December and I assume there won't be another high-end nvidia card announced between now and then

Top Bottom