• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now Xbox faces lawsuit over drifting controllers

Bullet Club

Plaintiff alleges Xbox is aware of joystick defect, following similar action against Nintendo

iI0VT3B.jpg

A class-action lawsuit has been filed over ‘drifting’ Xbox controllers.

Drifting issues have been experienced by a large volume of Xbox owners across various controller models, plaintiff Donald McFadden claims in court documents seen by VGC.

The lawsuit was filed by McFadden on April 28 in the US District Court for the Western District of Washington. Customers experiencing problems after their 90-day warranty expires are paying to repair a known fault, it alleges.

Drifting occurs when controller movements are registered even when the analogue sticks are left untouched.

A similar class action was filed against Nintendo last year concerning drifting Switch Joy-Con controllers. Last month a judge approved Nintendo’s move to compel arbitration but denied a request to dismiss.

McFadden claims to have purchased an Xbox Elite controller (RRP $179.99) and that after a short time he noticed the joystick on it had started to drift.

He eventually decided to purchase a second Elite controller only to experience the same problem “three or four months” later, it’s claimed.

gLbDZJA.jpg

The plaintiff claims he then spent “a considerable amount of time” attempting to fix the defect on his own, including manipulating the dead zones via Xbox settings, to no avail.

McFadden alleges that Microsoft is fully aware of the drifting defect after numerous online complaints received from its customers, and yet “failed to disclose the defect and routinely refuses to repair the controllers without charge when the defect manifests.”

The lawsuit claims the potentiometer within the joystick component—the mechanism that translates the physical movement of the thumbstick into movement within a game—contains a design flaw.

It says the wiper component of the potentiometer scrapes resistive material off a curved track, resulting in unwanted electrical contact without input from the user.

The suit claims Mcfadden’s experiences are not isolated and that “a large volume of consumers have been complaining about stick drift on Xbox One controllers since at least 2014.”

It adds: “A simple Google search on this issue reveals multiple forum and message boards dedicated to stick drift; YouTube instructional videos of users attempting to fix the issue on their own; and even replacement joystick components from Amazon and other sellers.”

Shortly after a similar lawsuit was filed against Nintendo, the company stopped charging for repair of drifting Joy-Con controllers and began refunding those who had already paid for a fix, although it doesn’t acknowledge an actual fault with Switch controllers.

Source: VGC

Gamernyc78

Banned

Plaintiff alleges Xbox is aware of joystick defect, following similar action against Nintendo

iI0VT3B.jpg

A class-action lawsuit has been filed over ‘drifting’ Xbox controllers.

Drifting issues have been experienced by a large volume of Xbox owners across various controller models, plaintiff Donald McFadden claims in court documents seen by VGC.

The lawsuit was filed by McFadden on April 28 in the US District Court for the Western District of Washington. Customers experiencing problems after their 90-day warranty expires are paying to repair a known fault, it alleges.

Drifting occurs when controller movements are registered even when the analogue sticks are left untouched.

A similar class action was filed against Nintendo last year concerning drifting Switch Joy-Con controllers. Last month a judge approved Nintendo’s move to compel arbitration but denied a request to dismiss.

McFadden claims to have purchased an Xbox Elite controller (RRP $179.99) and that after a short time he noticed the joystick on it had started to drift.

He eventually decided to purchase a second Elite controller only to experience the same problem “three or four months” later, it’s claimed.

gLbDZJA.jpg

The plaintiff claims he then spent “a considerable amount of time” attempting to fix the defect on his own, including manipulating the dead zones via Xbox settings, to no avail.

McFadden alleges that Microsoft is fully aware of the drifting defect after numerous online complaints received from its customers, and yet “failed to disclose the defect and routinely refuses to repair the controllers without charge when the defect manifests.”

The lawsuit claims the potentiometer within the joystick component—the mechanism that translates the physical movement of the thumbstick into movement within a game—contains a design flaw.

It says the wiper component of the potentiometer scrapes resistive material off a curved track, resulting in unwanted electrical contact without input from the user.

The suit claims Mcfadden’s experiences are not isolated and that “a large volume of consumers have been complaining about stick drift on Xbox One controllers since at least 2014.”

It adds: “A simple Google search on this issue reveals multiple forum and message boards dedicated to stick drift; YouTube instructional videos of users attempting to fix the issue on their own; and even replacement joystick components from Amazon and other sellers.”

Shortly after a similar lawsuit was filed against Nintendo, the company stopped charging for repair of drifting Joy-Con controllers and began refunding those who had already paid for a fix, although it doesn’t acknowledge an actual fault with Switch controllers.

Source: VGC
OH damn! Drifting happened to me with my switch so thts very real. I didn't know the "praised" elite controller has this issue. None of the consumers on here have posted that issue. Surprising.

cireza

I have an Xbox controller that has the problem.
It is possible to adjust the dead zone from the Settings ? I did not find anything like this...

Esppiral

I've never faced drifting controllers on Xbox in the other hand all my joycons suffer from this and everyone I know with a switch has drifting controllers

II_JumPeR_I

As a xbox fan, this is good news. Im waiting to buy a Elite V2 until they change their Hardware parts for the sticks.

OH damn! Drifting happened to me with my switch so thts very real. I didn't know the "praised" elite controller has this issue. None of the consumers on here have posted that issue. Surprising.
Man the fucking Dualshock4 analog sticks are absolute basura too. I go through the rubber on those things like nothing. I feel like controllers in general need to be better. I'll pay more if it's immensely better quality.

-Troid-

Banned
I've only had issues with the Dpad registering single taps as double taps or not registering a tap. It happened with 2 controllers. One I traded in for a new one at Gamestop (I told them it was because I wanted a different color lol) and the other I opened the controller up and fixed it myself.

I don't mind replacing/fixing controllers so much (well I probably would if it happened with an Elite Controller). As long as it's not the console itself; controllers can be expendable.

Also I wonder if anybody ever sued over their DS4 control stick rubber wearing down so quickly. That was a thing I remember being common, at least on launch.

Last edited:
Seriously, if it's a class action at this point its a big issue thts why I'm surprised. Hey Xbox gaf elite owners have you had this issue? Seriously I'm curious 👨‍🔧

Damn I forget i have a good amount on ignore 🤦‍♂️so might not see the responses.

I have first elite controller since beginning [12. 2015] without stickdrift.
Only the rubber on the handle cover has pulled out after 2 years of use... but that not a big problem.

I have the new elite series 2,
[160€].
I will never buy it when i had problems with series 1.

But the problem is there are players that play 200 hours in a year and orher that's playing 1000 hours in a year.

There are people who press on controller like psychopaths, other
smash the controller etc.

I've only had issues with the Dpad registering single taps as double taps or not registering a tap. It happened with 2 controllers. One I traded in for a new one at Gamestop (I told them it was because I wanted a different color lol) and the other I opened the controller up and fixed it myself.

I don't mind replacing/fixing controllers so much (well I probably would if it happened with an Elite Controller). As long as it's not the console itself; controllers can be expendable.

Also I wonder if anybody ever sued over their DS4 control stick rubber wearing down so quickly. That was a thing I remember being common, at least on launch.
Still common ..DS4 quality is 👎. I hope the Dualsense is an improvement.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Man the fucking Dualshock4 analog sticks are absolute basura too. I go through the rubber on those things like nothing. I feel like controllers in general need to be better. I'll pay more if it's immensely better quality.

Thts cool if thts your experience. Og ps4 controllers had tht issue but for last several years I've never experienced tht thy actually changed tht part of the build.

But we are talking about the elite and drifting.

FranXico

Build, I may have seen a few but I've never read anything about drift. I mean tht might be just me I don't really hang out in Xbox threads 👀
Heh, I also don't hang out too much in Xbox threads. But complaints about Elite controllers not being as high quality as the price would suggest are pretty common.

Last edited:

Fake

PS4 v2 Dualshocks have the same issue. It's like everyone started making shitty controllers that don't last long until they start having problems. :/

Makes money. My DS4 start to show this problem this year.

There are folks that try to solve this problem and others that don't have time due to job or other reason and just buy a new one.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
lol the only controller i've had drift on me is an Xbox One controller. all my joycons? nothing. a Xbox One controller after 2 months? driftin' bitch.

this was the standard controller not the Elite.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Annoying problem. Even my DS4 have.

None of my ds4 have ever had this issue until I either dropped them or they are like three years in and are dying. Hence no class action on Sony about this issue. I have about 8 controllers laying around lol some destroyed bcus my son and his damn crazy building in fortnite. Controllers take punishment with fortnite for sure.

SleepDoctor

Banned
I bought mine for $60 from Best Buy through a trade in and student coupon.

That said, I didn't have any drifting but my rt button broke.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Makes money. My DS4 start to show this problem this year.

There are folks that try to solve this problem and others that don't have time due to job or other reason and just buy a new one.

Difference between a natural issue of drift with wear and tear and one tht occurs weeks to a few months after of use. Shit after crazy years of use my buttons might stick, drift, etc on all my consoles.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Heh, I also don't hang out too much in Xbox threads. But complaints about Elite controllers not being as high quality as the price would suggest are pretty common.

Thanks. I'll visit tht thread. I have an Xbox s but would never spend tht much on a controller for it but if I get a nextbox it might be a possibility.

Stuart360

My aftermarket XB1 controller has drift on the left stick. It comes and goes though, and i do use it to control my PC, so like 12+ hours a day every day lol, and its about 11 months old.
What actually causes drift anyway?, dirt getting in?

Thts cool if thts your experience. Og ps4 controllers had tht issue but for last several years I've never experienced tht thy actually changed tht part of the build.

But we are talking about the elite and drifting.
Yea and you brought up your experience with the Switch Joycons. Hence why I'm talking about controllers in general. I felt like they ALL have had issues this gen.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Yea and you brought up your experience with the Switch Joycons. Hence why I'm talking about controllers in general. I felt like they ALL have had issues this gen.

Big difference between an occasional issue with outliers or an issue tht was since corrected. Switch was mentioned bcus it is indeed a drift issue/ same issue and has not been corrected. Also in the context of me hearing about those issues but not the Xbox ones. I have a two year old controller right now on PS4 tht doesn't have the stick issues bcus tht was corrected and I don't get drift on any of my controllers.

When Sony had those sticks wearing down it was all over this forum. Tht was discussed to high heavens until thy fixed the issue.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
The DS4 stick peeling was definitley a launch issue. They changed the consistency of the plastic and the resolved the issue as far as I know.

Some peoples hands definitley effected it worse than others for whatever reason.

Fake

Difference between a natural issue of drift with wear and tear and one tht occurs weeks to a few months after of use. Shit after crazy years of use my buttons might stick, drift, etc on all my consoles.

Game cube never happen, neither PS2 dualshock.

Only Xbox 360 and now PS4.

and I don't get drift on any of my controllers.

That's the thing. Plenty of others have reported having issues with DS4 analog sticks as well myself included. I just had a DS4 left stick start drifting and I've had it under a year. I just don't think it's stings as much as buying an specialized Elite controller and having that crap on you as well. Thats another level of fuckery.

Gamernyc78

Banned
That's the thing. Plenty of others have reported having issues with DS4 analog sticks as well myself included. I just had a DS4 left stick start drifting and I've had it under a year. I just don't think it's stings as much as buying an specialized Elite controller and having that crap on you as well. Thats another level of fuckery.

I feel you and I believe you. Must not be widespread I seriously have tons of controllers I've never had tht issue with.

Gamernyc78

Banned

Noooo I've had drift issues on my PS2 due to wear and tear but again who knows. I can only speak of all my controllers and I buy alot bcus my son is 13 and destroys them by raging lol

Banned
wtf is going on these days? of course every controller will start drifting given enough wear.

the more you use an analog stick the looser the mechanisms inside it go.
and at some point it will not be able to reset itself properly anymore, meaning it will start drifting because its neutral position is outside the deadzone.

controllers these days have super small deadzones, which is great for tight and precise controls but also means that even the tiniest bit of offset will make sticks drift.

I have 2 drifting PS4 pads, 1 drifting Xbox One pad and 1 drifting joycon.

but I also have a drifting PS3 controller and a drifting Nunchuck.

I also had several drifting N64 controllers back in the day... but I mean of course I did, those things were literally the worst analog sticks in the history of analog sticks

this is not a new thing, it's just that deadzones get smaller and smaller.
a well made shooter will let you adjust deadzones tho, so in most games it's not that much of an issue

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I feel you and I believe you. Must not be widespread I seriously have tons of controllers I've never had tht issue with.
It is definitely a wider problem, but the drifting itself doesn't have to be signifcant (at least not at first) so many people probably won't even notice it. It's currently minor on my v2 controller and I don't want to return it just yet, because I know that I'm going to get a plain black controller in return (I have the Gran Turismo limited edition one).

wtf is going on these days? of course every controller will start drifting given enough wear.

the more you use an analog stick the looser the mechanisms inside it go.
and at some point it will not be able to reset itself properly anymore, meaning it will start drifting because its neutral position is outside the deadzone.

controllers these days have super small deadzones, which is great for tight and precise controls but also means that even the tiniest bit of offset will make sticks drift.

I have 2 drifting PS4 pads, 1 drifting Xbox One pad and 1 drifting joycon.

but I also have a drifting PS3 controller and a drifting Nunchuck.

I also had several drifting N64 controllers back in the day... but I mean of course I did, those things were literally the worst analog sticks in the history of analog sticks

this is not a new thing, it's just that deadzones get smaller and smaller.
a well made shooter will let you adjust deadzones tho, so in most games it's not that much of an issue
But it's not the case of "why is this happening", rather "whis is this happening so soon". For instance my PS4 controller started showing drifting symptoms after merely a few months and I wasn't even using it all the time.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned

Pretty much every analog sticks controller ever has had this issue to some extent. Some the percentage is extremely low, so you don't hear about it.

Last edited:

CobraXT

Banned
its the first time i hear about drifting issues in xbox 1 controllers ..

maybe because old controllers have a bigger deadzone ?

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Pretty much every analog sticks controller ever has had this issue to some extent. Some the percentage is extremely low, so you don't hear about it.

Also like I mentioned it's about wear and tear, thts a natural result. It's different if you've had your controller a few months and boom drifting thts an issue on mabafacturer side. There is depreciation and breaking downs, controllers don't last forever.

martino

this
Seriously, if it's a class action at this point its a big issue thts why I'm surprised. Hey Xbox gaf elite owners have you had this issue? Seriously I'm curious 👨‍🔧

Damn I forget i have a good amount on ignore 🤦‍♂️so might not see the responses.

i have one since near launch.
My problem is only the grip one.
Last month i changed the shell.
I imagine it will come back since it's a conception issue
But globally I've never had any drift issue with any of my controller since ps1.
Maybe it also depends on how you stress them when you play ?

BigLee74

Happened to my Project Scorpio controller after one year. My son has 2 controllers with broken bumpers too.

Absolute pain in the arse having to fork out 50 quid every time this happens.

Maybe just unlucky, but controllers do take a hefty bashing so I guess these kind of problems are to be expected?

Leyasu

Banned

Yep, my first elite controller developed horrendous drift problems on the right stick just after the two year warranty ran out.

My elite v2 has a paddle button that doesn't click but works fine. For the money, these things should be bang on. I will wait until October 2021 and then get it replaced free of charge by microsoft. There are some advantages in living in the EU.

On a side note, my X's HDMI out died in January 6 days before the warranty expired. A nice little free of charge repair, and I am good until the XsX

Vawn

Banned
Ugh, been through 8 dualshock 4s over drift issues and yet only Microsoft and Nintendo get in trouble.

Really? I find that very difficult to believe. I have 6 DS4 and never had drift. Half of my joycons have had the issue.

The percentage of DS4s that suffer from drift is low. For you to get it 9 times in a row would be less likely than winning the lottery twice.

I have two of them and one of my brothers has two. Zero issues.

Top Bottom