• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now Xbox faces lawsuit over drifting controllers

Gamernyc78

Banned
You don't even need to respond to that bro.. 🙄 the shit you read on the internet sometimes

I feel you lol. Shit was just crazy, reaching and so random out of nowhere, I had to respond 🤦‍♂️ That person seriously probably doesn't know thy have issues.

But anyway good morning! And happy gaming. I went hard on Streets of Rage 4 last night. It was sooooo gooodddd.

I feel you lol. Shit was just crazy, reaching and so random out of nowhere, I had to respond 🤦‍♂️ That person seriously probably doesn't know thy have issues.

But anyway good morning! And happy gaming. I went hard on Streets of Rage 4 last night. It was sooooo gooodddd.
Hmmm think I'ma have to grab that today I keep hearing greatness. 🤔

Gamernyc78

Banned
Hmmm think I'ma have to grab that today I keep hearing greatness. 🤔

🔥🔥🔥🔥 If you like original series. Combat feels like it has impact so it's really good. Can even online coop and join ppl to take on stages together. Even has a pvp part you unlock. I even saw it has a fighting boss mode. It's only 22 on psn and thts a steal.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Firstly I was being hyperbolic and joking, my son really messes them up with the insane building teens do on fortnite that eats up controllers which I mentioned in another post. My son never physically throws controllers or anything.
Well you said: "I can only speak of all my controllers and I buy alot bcus my son is 13 and destroys them by raging lol"
That's something completely different than playing intensively Fortnite which results in wear&tear issues.

I'm only saying that I understand the other guys comment, I have no opinion on anything else, because that's way too personal for a gaming forum.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I've never faced drifting controllers on Xbox in the other hand all my joycons suffer from this and everyone I know with a switch has drifting controllers

Yes. A HUGE percentage of original model Switch owners have experiences some sort if drift in the left joycon. I have it and it sucks. I doubt very much that the number of Elite owners comes even close to the Switch owners having the issue. Not even close.

They are just mad that they paid $180 for a controller.

splattered

I feel like all controllers get drift issues at some point... every brand I've ever used really.

I would love for this problem to somehow be solved and shared so all companies could move away from the issue completely.

oldergamer

I have an Xbox controller that has the problem.
It is possible to adjust the dead zone from the Settings ? I did not find anything like this...
Then you probably, either don't have an xbox or haven't looked very hard. It's in the menu where you can customize buttons. You can adjust the deadzone on each stick. This is a stupid class action lawsuit when they give you a way to compensate.

I have an elite and noticed drift when I pulled up the warzone map. Absolutely love the controller and would definitely buy another one, well my wife bought me my original one, again if they fix the issue.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Fortunately none of my controllers have ever had this issue but I hope they can figure out how to solve it once and for all.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I've been through 5 xbox controllers since launch. All except one for the same reason. Stick Drift. the other was due to the bumper breaking on the first Elite. My current one hasn't had an issue and I've had it since last August. I bought insurance on it as well and will be turning it in prior to that date. Not paying 60 bucks for any more controllers.

Get one of these instead if it's for PC use:

Seriously, this controller is good. It has 4 buttons on the back so if that's the primary reason you're looking at the elite then it will suit you fine.

Thanks, will read about it first

lukilladog

Fortunately none of my controllers have ever had this issue but I hope they can figure out how to solve it once and for all.

It´s easily solvable, they just need to revise or redesign the torsion spring mechanism in the potentiometer. But the part would probably cost them 3 bucks instead of 1, and the sale of gamepads would take a dive.

cireza

Then you probably, either don't have an xbox or haven't looked very hard. It's in the menu where you can customize buttons. You can adjust the deadzone on each stick. This is a stupid class action lawsuit when they give you a way to compensate.
Well I checked again and there is no option to set the dead zone of a standard controller on Xbox One.

Shmunter

This shit was an issues on 360. Went through multiple otherwise perfectly fine controllers because of the drift. You haven’t learnt anything MS! Smack down deserved.

Had drift issues on two of my Dualshock 4s. V1 held a long time, couple years in fact. Bought a V2 after that and that one got drift issues after 2 months so I sent it to Sony and got one used DS4 back with no drift issue but it's scratched and the Touchpad is hard to push in when starting to play (not a huge problem).

So yeah drifting sucks (on controllers). Hopefully next gen the controllers are of higher quality.

MrA

Banned
about time, I don't know how all three manufactures made such poorly built controllers this generation.

It´s easily solvable, they just need to revise or redesign the torsion spring mechanism in the potentiometer. But the part would probably cost them 3 bucks instead of 1, and the sale of gamepads would take a dive.

How exactly would you solve it then? Be specific.

Because I am gonna be honest, I don't think you don't understand how any of these components work. Cherry mx keys function with all the precision of a light switch, there is a reason aiming with a keyboard is nobody's idea of a good time.

lukilladog

How exactly would you solve it then? Be specific.

Because I am gonna be honest, I don't think you don't understand how any of these components work. Cherry mx keys function with all the precision of a light switch, there is a reason aiming with a keyboard is nobody's idea of a good time.

Double horizontal steel springs for each axis, 1 for each direction. The potentiometers would be pretty similar.

kuncol02

Banned
Double horizontal steel springs for each axis, 1 for each direction. The potentiometers would be pretty similar.
Drift is caused by potentiometers wear. You would need to get rid of them. Potentially you could use hall sensors like in Thrustmatster t.16000m, but i am not sure if you can make it small enough for gamepad. It would also be much more expensive. There is also probability, that Thrustmaster has patent for use of it in game controllers.

So 2 springs for the stick? And then another 2 for the potentiometers? Seems to me like the obvious problem would be size, and I imagine replacing one big spring with a bunch of little springs would probably increase the likelihood of a spring failure. Plus, the tension will be uneven between the diagonal and cardinal directions. Not to mention I am not even sure how this resolves drift. If you run forward more than you run backwards, as most players do, the springs will wear unevenly.

I don't think this problem is as easily solvable as you believe it to be. Not to mention, even if we go full tinfoil hat and assume this is all part of some planned obsolesce scheme. Wouldn't the engineers want to patent these driftless sticks to prevent competitors from using the technology? Are there any known patents for driftless sticks?

I think the reality is that control sticks are probably designed the way they are... because nobody has been able to figure out a better design.

All game controllers have some kind of stick drift sooner or later with how many hours you used it and how rough you are with it where was this lawsuit back in 2015 or 2016 they wait until the end of the 8th generation of gaming console to make this lawsuit lol good luck winning this lol

Is this only an issue for people who are abusing their controllers? I've never experienced this, but I'm not a hard-core gamer.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i just returned my third one WHAHA
fucking hell microsoft the fuck is wrong with you ?

i waited like 6 months to see if the QC was better. my third one arrived today ...
the left stick was not smooth at all like something was grinding in it. The fuck.

4 more days for a new one to arrive. If that one isn't freaking spotless i give up.

bronxct1

So weird, I still have both my day one controllers with no issue, I've never had a controller with stick drift on any console so I always wonder how I hit the lotto.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Never had this issue with a mouse. :messenger_sunglasses:

vvGNC6c.jpg

Naked Lunch

The Xbox Elite Controller is the biggest waste of money of any gaming purchase I made.
The bumpers on mine broke and the grips ripped off the sides.
The Elite used the 2nd revision of XB1 controller bumpers - which are known to break easily. The new XB1 controller bumpers (version 3) finally fixed this.
I have broken maybe 1 controller in my 20+ console collection and my original NES controller from 1986 still works perfectly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom