• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that Sony is licensing PS5 pro controllers, which will you be getting?

Now that Sony is licensing PS5 pro controllers, which will you be getting?

• $200 DualSense Edge - two extra buttons, media controls, replacable stick modules, made by Sony

Votes: 47 19.0%
  • $180 Victrix Pro BFG - four extra buttons, swapable control modules, fightpad option, no vibration

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • $250 Razer Wolverine V2 Pro - six extra buttons, asymmetric controls, no vibration

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Already went with a custom build from Scuf, Battle Beaver, etc.

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • I intend to wait and see if any other companies make their own controller

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • No interest in a pro controller, but I would buy a PS5 paddle attachment if they ever make one

Votes: 36 14.6%
  • I'm just sticking with a standard controller for now

Votes: 145 58.7%

• Total voters
I was gonna cave and get one of these but I don’t see the value at $200 right now. I managed to grab a second DualSense for $50 on BF and even that felt like too much. If there were 4 paddles and the battery life was improved, I would have done it. Maybe if it goes on sale but for now I’m good.

180!!! 200?!?

250?????????

Nah, I'll stick with the cheap versions.

You already have to pay 70 dollars for a new controller.

One way to think of it is just one pro controller is about half the price of an entire new console!

Another way to think of it is for less than the price of two new games, you can add that to the cost of an extra controller to get hardware that will improve the feeling of almost all of your games.

I don't think either way of looking at things is wrong, though. It's just a matter of preferences and priorities.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Now I got an email with an eta of March 1(Victrix Pro BFG). I'm truly sick of this shit. What the hell is happening at PDP in which has made getting a got damn controller this complicated?🤦‍♂️ If the dpad and fightpad wasn't a part of this, I would have been dropped this and gone with the DualSense Edge because this is total nonsense at this point.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Now I got an email with an eta of March 1(Victrix Pro BFG). I'm truly sick of this shit. What the hell is happening at PDP in which has made getting a got damn controller this complicated?🤦‍♂️
Waiting on that controller as well from Best Buy anyhow and compare it directly to the Edge

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

Now I got an email with an eta of March 1(Victrix Pro BFG). I'm truly sick of this shit. What the hell is happening at PDP in which has made getting a got damn controller this complicated?🤦‍♂️ If the dpad and fightpad wasn't a part of this, I would have been dropped this and gone with the DualSense Edge because this is total nonsense at this point.
Where did you order from and when, if you don't mind me asking?

Have to admit I am a little concerned about the size and spacing X and O buttons with my large hands and big ole sausage fingers

zc2zMwD.jpg

Quoting my reply from another thread, after someone said this:

"I also find the elongated shape and the face buttons too spaced out on the DualSense."

I never realized how true this is until I played Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 + 2 with the PS5 controller. Just a millimeters difference, and decades of muscle memory is screaming out "something is different here! This isn't right!"

Tony Hawk made me understand just how much of a misstep I feel the PS5 controller is, at least in terms of the d-pad and face buttons. The strange placement of the circle button is especially bothersome to me. It kind of just falls off the edge of the controller. Hopefully you'll end up liking the button placement on the Victrix more than you think you will.

If the Victrix could turn on the console I’d be all over it already.
I still use the PS4 controller I have when playing PS4 games, so half the time I turn on my console with the wrong controller anyhow. It's literally as simple as hit the playstation button on the PS5 controller to turn the console on, hit the circle button to turn the PS5 controller off, hit the playstation button on the PS4 controller to turn the controller on. Or the other way around when I want to play a PS5 game, and mistakenly start the console with the PS4 controller.

For two extra button presses, you can still turn your console on, and you can use whatever controller you want.

I still use the PS4 controller I have when playing PS4 games, so half the time I turn on my console with the wrong controller anyhow. It's literally as simple as hit the playstation button on the PS5 controller to turn the console on, hit the circle button to turn the PS5 controller off, hit the playstation button on the PS4 controller to turn the controller on. Or the other way around when I want to play a PS5 game, and mistakenly start the console with the PS4 controller.

For two extra button presses, you can still turn your console on, and you can use whatever controller you want.

I know it’s that simple, and I use my DS4 as much as possible too because I don’t like the DualSense. But if Sony is going to officially license these other products, something as simple as turning on the system needs to be included in the capabilities of a $180 controller. There is no good justification why not and if I’m spending that much money, I want it to be the only controller I’ll ever need to pickup. It’s a dumb and lazy excuse, but so I am.

[Sigma]

So I finally received my Victrix Pro BFG from Amazon yesterday. Began using it and even though ive only used it for like 3 hours so far, I pretty much already know what im going to say about it. But still, i'll give it about a week before I do. I also had access to the DualSense Edge earlier in the week so I will compare the two.

So yeah the Victrix Pro BFG, I immediately plugged it up on my PS5 using the dongle connection. Everything seemed fine for 5 minutes only for my PS5 to stop functioning correctly. Kinda think that dongle may have did something to it lol. But I restarted and everything was fine. Then I unplugged it and went to update the firmware for the controller on the app. Controller first. Everything went through. Saw the dongle had an update too......everything started off fine......then 10 minutes later, it still hadn't went through all the way. Looked at the dongle and saw the light was off........the update failed apparently and it will not light up anymore.
It-s-dead-Jim-BFG.png

Left an email with them(PDP) to see about getting another one. In the meantime, i'll just use it wired.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
So I finally received my Victrix Pro BFG from Amazon yesterday. Began using it and even though ive only used it for like 3 hours so far, I pretty much already know what im going to say about it. But still, i'll give it about a week before I do. I also had access to the DualSense Edge earlier in the week so I will compare the two.

So yeah the Victrix Pro BFG, I immediately plugged it up on my PS5 using the dongle connection. Everything seemed fine for 5 minutes only for my PS5 to stop functioning correctly. Kinda think that dongle may have did something to it lol. But I restarted and everything was fine. Then I unplugged it and went to update the firmware for the controller on the app. Controller first. Everything went through. Saw the dongle had an update too......everything started off fine......then 10 minutes later, it still hadn't went through all the way. Looked at the dongle and saw the light was off........the update failed apparently and it will not light up anymore.
It-s-dead-Jim-BFG.png

Left an email with them(PDP) to see about getting another one. In the meantime, i'll just use it wired.

I'd probably pick this for the stick placement options alone, but the lack of haptics if putting me off a lot, and also you can't turn it on with it?

Last edited:

[Sigma]

I'd probably pick this for the stick placement options alone, but the lack of haptics if putting me off a lot, and also you can't turn it on with it?
No you can not turn it(PS5) on with it. Doesn't bother me but I can see it bothering plenty of people lol.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

I definitely agree with this review for the most part overall

Spoiler alert:
1. DualSense Edge(Recommended)
2. Victrix Pro BFG(Recommended)
3. Razer Wolverine Pro

I'll have something typed up by Sunday. I'll end up repeating a lot already said probably lol but I do like this controller.

I definitely agree with this review for the most part overall

Spoiler alert:
1. DualSense Edge(Recommended)
2. Victrix Pro BFG(Recommended)
3. Razer Wolverine Pro

I'll have something typed up by Sunday. I'll end up repeating a lot already said probably lol but I do like this controller.

I'd say you should go with the BFG if you care about having four back buttons, if battery life matters to you, if you're into fighting games, or you otherwise really care about the d-pad. Everyone else should go with the DualSense Edge, especially people who would miss the haptic feedback and adaptive triggers. If you're the type of person who always turns those features off, then you especially might want to consider the BFG instead.

Personally, for what I value in controllers, I'd much prefer the BFG over the DualSense Edge. If Sony ever adds two more buttons to this thing, it would be perfect.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
The new Razer Wolverine Pro feels SO small in my hands, even though it physically is not tiny, something about it makes it feel tiny and cramped in my hill giant hands.. While I have purchased quite a few razer products over the years, they are not my go to when I am replacing a first party accy.

BFG is a winner for me here. Dongle life is a pain, but it gets you some extra battery life in the long run and the "fight pad module" mechanical buttons are great imo.

I have been using the Dual sense Edge to play Hogwarts, ordered a replacement battery immediately after the first night will pop that in tomorrow.

Woggleman

I don't get this. I have been charging my Edge controller through the PS5 and the battery doesn't last that long but last night I charged it through my cell phone charger and the battery lasts twice as long. I don't think there is anything wrong with my PS5 so is there any reason for this?

RafterXL

I'd say you should go with the BFG if you care about having four back buttons, if battery life matters to you, if you're into fighting games, or you otherwise really care about the d-pad. Everyone else should go with the DualSense Edge, especially people who would miss the haptic feedback and adaptive triggers. If you're the type of person who always turns those features off, then you especially might want to consider the BFG instead.

Personally, for what I value in controllers, I'd much prefer the BFG over the DualSense Edge. If Sony ever adds two more buttons to this thing, it would be perfect.
This is pretty much my thoughts. If the BFG had any rumble at all it would 100% be my favorite controller. The shape, button placement, paddles, customization are all superior. I love the Edge but going back between it and this makes me realize how bad only two paddles is in comparison.

Unfortunately, my lizard brain just can't get past having absolutely no controller feedback, though, so I'm using the Edge primarily. I did decide to keep the BFG. I use it in my bedroom and the Edge(s) in the game room.

drotahorror

Honestly don't care. Unless features are built into the controller (8bitdo), I'm not going to pay an even larger premium. If 2 paddles were a standard across all major platforms I would be definitely good with it though...

[Sigma]

The app for the Victrix Pro BFG finally went live. It's aight. I forgot to say the shipped me another controller(I dunno why they force you get another entire set for just what is clearly a dongle issue). Anyways, it was working fine(although the dongle got abnormally hot)............til today. For some reason I decided to update the dongle even though everything in my head was telling me not to do it and sure enough it died.........just like last time. I'm sure I did everything correct and check all my setting on my pc and yet....
It-s-dead-Jim-BFG.png

Im not even going to bother trying to send it back in. I'll just wait till Victrix get their shit together and sell spare parts and next time don't even bother updating the dongle.

Last edited:

The app for the Victrix Pro BFG finally went live. It's aight. I forgot to say the shipped me another controller(I dunno why they force you get another entire set for just what is clearly a dongle issue). Anyways, it was working fine(although the dongle got abnormally hot)............til today. For some reason I decided to update the dongle even though everything in my head was telling me not to do it and sure enough it died.........just like last time. I'm sure I did everything correct and check all my setting on my pc and yet....
It-s-dead-Jim-BFG.png

Im not even going to bother trying to send it back in. I'll just wait till Victrix get their shit together and sell spare parts and next time don't even bother updating the dongle.

Sorry to hear it. I ended up returning my Pro BFG, due to the design of the back buttons. Very subjective, but I've been using modded controllers and back buttons for years, and I feel there was absolutely no reason to limit where you can place your fingers on the back buttons. All four buttons should have had rounded edges, and should have been comfortable pressing with any part of you finger. Instead, you HAVE to place your fingers on the buttons in a very specific way.

I got used to it, but it never became completely comfortable, and eventually it started to hurt my hand. Ring fingers do not seem made for that sort of activity, IMO. It would be much better to use middle fingers to hit all four buttons, but due to the design, that's impossible.

Reluctantly, I ended up going with the two paddle, awful battery, but otherwise pretty great official Sony pro controller instead. While nothing can make up for the loss of two buttons, the utility of built in mute and volume control buttons does help a lot.

Being able to switch between profiles mid-game without having to cycle through pre-sets helps as well. With some games, such as Hogwarts Legacy, I'll even use two profiles for the same game, one for combat and the other for exploration. I can also remap the standard face buttons even in games that don't allow for button remapping, which is a really nice feature that doesn't get talked about very much.

Top Bottom