• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Echoes: Introducing Update 4.4 (Foveated rendering for PSVR2! Yes!)

keraj37

SORRY, didn't see was already posted: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/no-m...ts-largest-update-of-the-year-echoes.1660200/
------------------------------------------------

You can read more here: https://www.nomanssky.com/echoes-update/

JRz0iXS.jpg

It was my best game for PSVR2, but I had to dump it since it looked very bad, non comparably bad to other PSVR2 titles.
But they say they finally introduced foveated rendering for PSVR2!
oescRYt.jpg

There are many more changes and upgrades, also for other VR platforms, but I just care about that one.
I am downloading the update as we speak, and I will report back how the visuals for PSVR2 were improved (if at all!)

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

I long ago platinumed this game and probably won't go back now, but hot damn, if Hello Games didn't turn the scope creep that almost killed them into a raison d'etre.

Last edited:

saintjules

Yeah, I can confirm, the new update really makes No Man's Sky a great PSVR2 title, looks sharp like never before.
I think it reaches the maximum resolution of the PSVR lens, so we couldn't ask for more.

Interesting. So it's possible via a patch to fix the foveated rendering. I guess that may have been obvious.

I wonder what other games may capitalize on that?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Interesting. So it's possible via a patch to fix the foveated rendering. I guess that may have been obvious.

I wonder what other games may capitalize on that?
Sony themselves said the foveated rendering can be improved as they update tools and devs update their games with it. It's basically like FSR/DLSS, undergoing constant improvement and refinement.

They can also update reprojection as well.

Boy bawang

FSR2 for Switch is a great improvement. It was already a solid port which many though undoable, and it keeps on getting better

Foveated rendering is huge. This game always looked like dog shit on my PC with a Valve Index. My 1080 Ti never stood a chance with it, and that GPU is roughly as powerful as the one in the PS5. It took getting a 4090 and cranking the resolution up massively to get it to finally look decent and that beast of a graphics card can barely hold it at times. I hope we see foveated rendering and eye tracking on PC soon. Honestly the PSVR2 is an incredible headset hardware wise and it shows how behind the times PC VR kits really are today. Makes me wonder what's taking these companies so long to make progress with it. Almost has me thinking it's dead and waiting to be buried.

reinking

Gold Member
I wasn’t over hyped about Starfield but decided to buy the upgrade for now to get early access. With this news, I wish I had waited. I almost feel I will be playing NMS again.

saintjules

Sony themselves said the foveated rendering can be improved as they update tools and devs update their games with it. It's basically like FSR/DLSS, undergoing constant improvement and refinement.

They can also update reprojection as well.

XXL

Updated impressions - It looks absolutely amazing, but there is some stuttering that occurs from time to time. Its not a massive issue, but hopefully they can work that out with another patch.

keraj37

Updated impressions - It looks absolutely amazing, but there is some stuttering that occurs from time to time. Its not a massive issue, but hopefully they can work that out with another patch.
Yes, I noticed it too, specially occuring on planets with plenty of objects around, but just like you, I dont mind, I am happy with this game as it is now.

Synless

Major difference, I’m back in again! Except one problem? How the fuck do I draw my weapon? I can’t remember and the controls section makes no god damned sense.

Kupfer

Is it still possible for someone who has never played the game to have a nice experience, or is it too bloated for newcomers to get a grip?

Last edited:

keraj37

Is it still possible for someone who has never played the game to have a nice experience, or is it too bloated for newcomers to get a grip?
Game is massive, but it also has great way of comunicating what you should do next, so starting new game you are treated with first task and explanation how to achive it, and that formula is present all the time, so the game has great way of introducing newcomers IMO

Last edited:

scydrex

Finally i can get this game an enjoy it on psvr2. I was waiting for them to improve the IQ. Will check the price in digital but i think will buy it physical if it´s the same price.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Just tried it. It looks really fucking good. It is a massive upgrade. It literally went from one of the worst looking PSVR 2 games to one of the best.

Jebus! I swear I've gotten so close to buying this game like 90 times. But never more than now.

It's now on my wishlist. If it drops in price to $30 I might buy it.
This game is like Cyberpunk, where there was a period you could pick it up physical for $10 new because of the drama and, like Cyberpunk, I did not do so. I kind of wish I did, because I found it strangely enjoyable even back when it was pretty bare bones, I bet it is approaching fantastic at this point.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This game is like Cyberpunk, where there was a period you could pick it up physical for $10 new because of the drama and, like Cyberpunk, I did not do so. I kind of wish I did, because I found it strangely enjoyable even back when it was pretty bare bones, I bet it is approaching fantastic at this point.

I literally had my finger on the debit card trigger to buy it back then too for cheap. But I let the hate push me away. Now look at it. :messenger_face_steam:

Techies

From the perspective of PSVR 2, this is 100% a must own now.

Add to cart.
I could not even NMS to run/look this good on PC VR no matter how hard I tried tweaking it.
It's legitimately impressive, they actually did it.
Almost sold PSVR2, but this will make it me keep it longer and make the wait for RE4 so much easier.

Apparently it took 6 month for the guy responsible for this magic, to implement it into their engine.

Tried to play some Firewall Ultra last night with a few friends but the games a fucking mess.

Hopped on this instead and god damn what a seriously awesome time. Three of us jumped into a new game and played for a good few hours. Looks really really good now compared to launch on PSVR2 which looked rubbish.

Top Bottom