• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man’s Sky |OT| Next!

Snoopycat

Banned
Ya know ya probably would have enjoyed the update a lot more if you hadn't spent your days posting every tiny little detail about it. You pretty much spoilt it for yourself by getting so worked up about it. I put it on today and I had a nice couple of hours looking at all the new shit they put in there. I like the things like the refinery and the new clouds are very nice. I look forward to building some base with my friends

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Ya know ya probably would have enjoyed the update a lot more if you hadn't spent your days posting every tiny little detail about it. You pretty much spoilt it for yourself by getting so worked up about it. I put it on today and I had a nice couple of hours looking at all the new shit they put in there. I like the things like the refinery and the new clouds are very nice. I look forward to building some base with my friends

What? That's reality in that pic. I spoilt it for myself so therefore that glitchy mess of a nighttime sky doesn't look good to me? And here's another pic from someone else who isn't happy about it either:

No_Man_s_Sky_2.jpg

But there is a statement that they're working on a patch so clearly Hello Games are aware of it.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Apparently, interactive streams are Mixer/XBox exclusive. A shame. Oh well.

Remember when Phil Spencer said he wasn't a fan of exclusive content on multiplat games... yeah.

It's not like that can't be done on the PS4 because when it launched with the stream ability, there were games that allowed you to do this. Ah well, indeed.

It's not a feature that I would ever take advantage of anyway I guess, but still, his comment and what we have today makes me chuckle.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Remember when Phil Spencer said he wasn't a fan of exclusive content on multiplat games... yeah.

It's not like that can't be done on the PS4 because when it launched with the stream ability, there were games that allowed you to do this. Ah well, indeed.

It's not a feature that I would ever take advantage of anyway I guess, but still, his comment and what we have today makes me chuckle.
It's not a console exclusive feature, it's a Mixer exclusive feature. I'm sure MS would be happy to have Mixer available on PlayStation.

I'm not impressed I'm afraid. The clouds are a mess on the PS4, the scanner problem is back and I'm yet to be able to scan a bird. I had butterflies in front of me but could not scan them because they constantly move out of the scanners view. For some reason they've reintroduced the problem of being told constantly your hazard protection is low. Why? The surf shimmers constantly, as does light bouncing off the surface and the sky at night is like looking at a bad torrent download. I grabbed a pic of the sky but needed to turn it off because in it's current state I CANNOT bare to look at it at night. This is what it looks like ALL the time at night:

43568941492_665cdb0fb6_b.jpg

HG was too busy working the Xbox version where it can be played best. Seriously though, is this a PS only issue?

Last edited:

Tarkus98

What? That's reality in that pic. I spoilt it for myself so therefore that glitchy mess of a nighttime sky doesn't look good to me? And here's another pic from someone else who isn't happy about it either:

No_Man_s_Sky_2.jpg

But there is a statement that they're working on a patch so clearly Hello Games are aware of it.
Oh man, now I am bummed out. I have been looking forward to this download all day long and should be home in like an or two to dive in.
Why did they bring back the scanner warning? Just curious, are you on a pro or standard PS4?
I presume your base/home planet got reset?
Certainly there must be lot of good stuff that you haven’t had a chance to dig into yet.

Sorry for the poor grammar, been a long day and head is spinning lol.

Last edited:

Calibos

Now this is just using semantics since Microsoft owns Mixer.

But anyways, lol.

Pretty sure it's Sony that won't allow Mixer on PS4. Correct me if I am wrong anyone.

Anywyas, I have been dying to get home from work to play this on my X. How the hell is it? Gorgeous? Better then the initial launch? Framerate good? Crashy? Someone help me!!!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Oh man, now I am bummed out. I have been looking forward to this download all day long and should be home in like an or two to dive in.
Why did they bring back the scanner warning? Just curious, are you on a pro or standard PS4?
Certainly there must be lot of good stuff that you haven’t had a chance to dig into yet.

I have not played in some time, can you refresh my memory on what the scanner warning is?

FranXico

Pretty sure it's Sony that won't allow Mixer on PS4. Correct me if I am wrong anyone.

Choosing to not pay license fees to integrate a streaming service from a competitor into their own product UI is now called "not allowing"...
I'm pretty sure you can watch Mixer streams from the PS4 web browser if you really want to.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Choosing to not pay license fees to integrate a streaming service from a competitor into their own product UI is now called "not allowing"...
I'm pretty sure you can watch Mixer streams from the PS4 web browser if you really want to.
Pretty much the same argument everyone was making about crossplay. Also Phil Spencer has said he is open to Mixer on PlayStation. Also, they would not need to integrate it into their UI, it's just an app.

Redshirt

Banned
Frame rate is all over the place on PC it seems, and I'm playing on a pretty powerful rig.

Performance was bad way back at launch too if I remember right. Did they not improve it over the many patches?

I'm hoping this is NEXT related and something HG can correct soon. Enjoying it otherwise, but I'm kind of noobish all over again.

Last edited:
quite a lot changed so far... I don't recognize a lot of resources, almost all my exosuit, multi-tool, and ship tech are gone...

universe was definitely reset hard... not like 1.3 where it just regen a lot of biomes. here, basically everything is new. in 1.3 I still had my base and most the planets kept their names or biomes at least... 1.5, pretty much all my fave star systems are unrecognizable lol. base is gone ('archived' so I guess I can unpack it somewhere new later) and my home planet is completely different. even all the names are different. freighter even changed colour o.0

PvP and multiplayer I don't really understand yet. I play on Permadeath, so I turned MP Off and Base Sharing Off... At least until I get comfy with the new systems. But people kept joining my game... seemed like newbies on starter planets.

And I could still fly over and PvP... and perma-kill them lol -- (who's idea was it to spawn newbies on the same planet as Permadeath veterans haha).

the PvP damage was crazy though, this one noob shot my S Class Hauler (56% Shield) and my shield was completely gone in 2 seconds o.0

Haven't tried the Frigate system yet but as I explore for a new home planet, I've recruited about 15 Frigates so far. Most were C Classes about 1.4-2.5 million units... Got 3 that were B Class and cost 4-5 mil units.

Also, I don't see Economy Trade items anymore on trade terminals at either space stations or trading posts... but I also noticed the 'Trade' or 'guild' menu on the HELP screen is blacked out... so maybe they locked that feature behind something now...

Grinchy

Banned
I played a few hours of co-op. We started a fresh file on Survival. They have made some really nice changes, I'll give them that. If this was my introduction to the game, I'd probably be pretty happy with it.

I'm just not sure if I'm feeling it enough to start over from scratch. It's kinda nice seeing how they've changed the progression of the game, but in the end, the reality is that it's a long grind to get to where I want to be again. I also still can't stand the UI navigation. Slowly moving a cursor around the screen for everything that a Dpad can do a million times better hasn't become any less frustrating.

FranXico

Pretty much the same argument everyone was making about crossplay. Also Phil Spencer has said he is open to Mixer on PlayStation. Also, they would not need to integrate it into their UI, it's just an app.
They would need to integrate the service so that one can start streaming to Mixer via the Share button.
As it is right now, streams can be watched by opening the Mixer page in the web browser.

Tarkus98

I have not played in some time, can you refresh my memory on what the scanner warning is?
Sorry for the late reply, there were a few scanner issues early on that were corrected on later updates.
The first was the constant warnings when you got down to a certain point (started at 50% I think?) of fuel or coolant, etc. (can’t remember the specific names but it was the four categories that kept you suit at safe levels). The other bigger issue was when you tried to scan anything flying, it was super difficult to get a lock on anything in the air making it difficult to 100% the wildlife on a planet. From what Grumble said it appears the issues are back. I haven’t had a chance to try the new update yet.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

I'm on the base PS4. I don't know why the scanner problem and the early hazard protection warnings have returned. It's truly odd because they were changed after player feedback. I just need these glitchy graphics sorted out. I can see it's far more complex now but I'm pushing though it and kind of enjoying the slower progress.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Sorry for the late reply, there were a few scanner issues early on that were corrected on later updates.
The first was the constant warnings when you got down to a certain point (started at 50% I think?) of fuel or coolant, etc. (can’t remember the specific names but it was the four categories that kept you suit at safe levels). The other bigger issue was when you tried to scan anything flying, it was super difficult to get a lock on anything in the air making it difficult to 100% the wildlife on a planet. From what Grumble said it appears the issues are back. I haven’t had a chance to try the new update yet.

Yes, they changed the warning to only happen AFTER you went below 50%. People complained it was annoying. I find it odd they've put it back in. Perhaps for the XB1 newcomers? It still seems odd that they'd annoy their long term fans for new players in that regard. As for the scanning, God only knows why that's made a return. Hopefully the graphic glitches get sorted out.

All in all, I find the more complicated gaming loops interesting and once I've got my base up and running, the foundry can be automated. I can see how that would force us to plan ahead, and that's a good habit to get into.

But my goodness, things have changed.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Oh yes, I remember that. I used to feel like such a fool when the game first came out literally spending almost a half hour to get that lucky scan on a flying creature, lol.

The good news is they acknowledged it so I'm wondering if it's a bug or intentional, either way they know people don't like it so either have it as an option or remove it again.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Got a chance to play a little bit, just up through getting my ship repaired and up and running. I'm enjoying playing again after having not played since launch month. Seems a little jittery frame rate wise unlocked and in third person on PS4 pro--but not too bad. I did notice the same shitty looking nighttime clouds posted above. Otherwise no glitches yet. Looking forward to playing more and seeing how the Atlas Rise story path is compared to the pointless Atlas path back at launch.

Looks like the update did go Live on GoG just a few minutes ago. Still no regrets buying on PSN as I'd just rather play it there this time.

people, seems like new players, keep spawning in my current star system o.0 even though I turned Multiplayer Off

feels almost as if they game is purposefully populating them onto the nearest planet to me -- which I guess would be an OK idea, normally, for in-game socializing

seems.... ill advised in permadeath... considering that even with MP Off they still seem to appear as characters (not orbs) and be fully PvPable (and perma-killable) o.0

Tarkus98

Yes, they changed the warning to only happen AFTER you went below 50%. People complained it was annoying. I find it odd they've put it back in. Perhaps for the XB1 newcomers? It still seems odd that they'd annoy their long term fans for new players in that regard. As for the scanning, God only knows why that's made a return. Hopefully the graphic glitches get sorted out.

All in all, I find the more complicated gaming loops interesting and once I've got my base up and running, the foundry can be automated. I can see how that would force us to plan ahead, and that's a good habit to get into.

But my goodness, things have changed.
Thanks for the update GG. I agree that the decision to annoy a whole new slew of gamers and aggravate existing players again is a really poor choice 🙅‍♂️. Is there a way to manually turn the warnings off perhaps?
Anyway, I’m looking forward to chilling out this evening with the game and have already taken tomorrow off of work lol. Want to check out the new 3rd person view and see what all new goodies have been added since the last update.

Tarkus98

people, seems like new players, keep spawning in my current star system o.0 even though I turned Multiplayer Off

feels almost as if they game is purposefully populating them onto the nearest planet to me -- which I guess would be an OK idea, normally, for in-game socializing

seems.... ill advised in permadeath... considering that even with MP Off they still seem to appear as characters (not orbs) and be fully PvPable (and perma-killable) o.0
Ugh, unfortunately this will literally kill the game for me if you can’t turn multiplayer off when I just want to chill out and explore the universe. If I’m getting shot at every five seconds when I just want to be left alone to explore I will permadeath the game for good.
It’s wonderful to actually have a multiplayer option included now for when I do want to team and have some fun with friends but for heavens sakes someone please tell me it can be turned off when not wanting it.

Ugh, unfortunately this will literally kill the game for me if you can’t turn multiplayer off when I just want to chill out and explore the universe. If I’m getting shot at every five seconds when I just want to be left alone to explore I will permadeath the game for good.
It’s wonderful to actually have a multiplayer option included now for when I do want to team and have some fun with friends but for heavens sakes someone please tell me it can be turned off when not wanting it.
Yeah, I'm not sure, I was under the impression you could turn it off (or at least make it so other players only appear as Orbs). I wanted to turn it off, too, at least until I was familiar with the controls again (and I had all my tech shields back haha).

Maybe I gotta restart the game or something... technically I had to load the save file with it turned on, and then turn off in-game. I'll see when I log-in again if people keep appearing in my star system haha.

Banned
People, is everyone clicking L3 in options screen (On ps4, at least) and disabling the option there, too? Can't remember what it's called, but it was a separate thing than just choosing a Solo game.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Thanks for the update GG. I agree that the decision to annoy a whole new slew of gamers and aggravate existing players again is a really poor choice 🙅‍♂️. Is there a way to manually turn the warnings off perhaps?
Anyway, I’m looking forward to chilling out this evening with the game and have already taken tomorrow off of work lol. Want to check out the new 3rd person view and see what all new goodies have been added since the last update.

Nope, no way of turning it off unfortunately. The thing I'm interested in the most is the flippin' night sky glitches. It's not the clouds, it's the space in between. It really does look like a bad torrent download. The pizalation is so pronounced even I can't ignore it, and that's saying something. I mean, look at this mess:

43568941492_665cdb0fb6_b.jpg

Last edited:

Tarkus98

Yeah, I'm not sure, I was under the impression you could turn it off (or at least make it so other players only appear as Orbs). I wanted to turn it off, too, at least until I was familiar with the controls again (and I had all my tech shields back haha).

Maybe I gotta restart the game or something... technically I had to load the save file with it turned on, and then turn off in-game. I'll see when I log-in again if people keep appearing in my star system haha.
Good lord it’s starting to sound like original players are being penalized for playing the game from the get go in lue of supporting the new player base.
Meh, I need to shut up and load the update myself and start playing, but a lot of what I am hearing is really sucking the wind out of my sails so to speak.

^it's not much of a penalty, I guess... granted, I've felt pretty naked so far, I lost like 80-90% of my tech, but getting the computer parts back help out...

but TBH I guess it's kinda fun learning new systems and putting in new exciting tech =p

... just I've been staying very very close to my starship until I got all my old shield tech back haha

made a few mistakes too... I had tons of plutonium, iron, etc saved up from before... so, I went flying to my old home planet to see how it changed, and then realized halfway warping there I couldn't refuel either my Thrusters (and later at a space station, that I couldn't fill up my Launchers -- good thing I didn't land on the ground haha)
People, is everyone clicking L3 in options screen (On ps4, at least) and disabling the option there, too? Can't remember what it's called, but it was a separate thing than just choosing a Solo game.
yeah, I turned off the multiplayer option or whatever it was called, and even base sharing haha. people kept joining. their names disappear from the player list but they still appear in the game world (first as an icon and then as a player once I flew over).

otherwise, not sure... but I'm 100% positive it was turned off, I checked multiple times and I've since checked the live stream too lol. I recorded the entire 6 hours and there was like a new guy joining every 30-60 minutes... and I kept checking my options, too (clearly set to Off). and also the pvp ;p

it did seem to happen less after the first 3 hours or so though (there was 1 join after that but just the one) so still not sure. I never reloaded the game/restarted the client though, so I'll see tonight when I get back on if anyone joins again.

Last edited:
Why is all the tech i had on my character and ship now corrupted? All the blueprints for it gone too.
just a lot of old items got removed and replaced with different stuff.... not just tech but resources, too... feels like most 'items' in general got new versions haha.

Snoopycat

Banned
So, turning off Ambient Multiplayer doesn't...turn that shit off? Damn.

It did for me. I had one guy join but after I kick him and switch off the multiplayer option in the menus no one else joined until I invited my friends.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
You can now fly through cave systems in your ship! But beware, if you come to a dead end you'll have to reload because you can't back up and turn.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It did for me. I had one guy join but after I kick him and switch off the multiplayer option in the menus no one else joined until I invited my friends.

Was this a fresh new game on a new save or save you had prior to the update?

Also, what steps did you do, it possibly might be tied to a specific order of steps (finicky)?

Snoopycat

Banned
Was this a fresh new game on a new save or save you had prior to the update?

Also, what steps did you do, it possibly might be tied to a specific order of steps (finicky)?

Yeah it was a new game. Some random stranger joined my game, I kicked him out and then went into the options and turned off multiplayer. Then I turn it back on when my friends wanted to join up.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah it was a new game. Some random stranger joined my game, I kicked him out and then went into the options and turned off multiplayer. Then I turn it back on when my friends wanted to join up.

Thanks for the reply. I plan on doing a new save myself (PS4).

Wow lol. I drew the short straw on the planet lottery on the X1X version. Freaking Frost/Toxic, had to run to get stuff and almost died right off the bat.

TheMikado

Banned
Ok played this update for a bit on my original PS4 and the bugs are too extensive to ignore:

Pixelation everywhere. Most pronounced are entering a capital ship. The tractor beam to pull your ship in is heavily pixelated.

First thing I noticed is my ship is now “huge” lots of storage.

Second thing is that their new cloud tech is now everywhere even in the starships.
It’s not properly recognizing. It possible that it may be because I have my starship on orbit around a planet from before.

I took a fleet mission and died instantly from the mission to kill an infestation.
Fine. Tried to get in ship and kill them that way but controls are wacky.

Fine decided to go back to fleet ship and went up stairs and it dropped me on the outside deck of the ship where I died...

Ok teleported to space station and I tried to board my fleet ship again and it didn’t even fully render. My ship landed in a half rendered ship. I knew I should have just taken off again but I decided to leave the ship and dropped right through the floor and died again.

Seems I can’t get into my ship but I will try to spawn it somewhere else later and see if I can get in.

Right now the bugs make it almost unplayable.

For context I bought it a year ago used for $12 and sank 75 hours into the game and had a base and starship so I have an idea of what this is supposed to look and play like.

Last edited:

TheMikado

Banned
Ok played this update for a bit on my original PS4 and the bugs are too extensive to ignore:

Pixelation everywhere. Most pronounced are entering a capital ship. The tractor beam to pull your ship in is heavily pixelated.

First thing I noticed is my ship is now “huge” lots of storage.

Second thing is that their new cloud tech is now everywhere even in the starships.
It’s not properly recognizing. It possible that it may be because I have my starship on orbit around a planet from before.

I took a fleet mission and died instantly from the mission to kill an infestation.
Fine. Tried to get in ship and kill them that way but controls are wacky.

Fine decided to go back to fleet ship and went up stairs and it dropped me on the outside deck of the ship where I died...

Ok teleported to space station and I tried to board my fleet ship again and it didn’t even fully render. My ship landed in a half rendered ship. I knew I should have just taken off again but I decided to leave the ship and dropped right through the floor and died again.

Seems I can’t get into my ship but I will try to spawn it somewhere else later and see if I can get in.

Right now the bugs make it almost unplayable.

For context I bought it a year ago used for $12 and sank 75 hours into the game and had a base and starship so I have an idea of what this is supposed to look and play like.

Update I was able to spawn my freighter in space and I can board it now. Also anyone know what that smaller ship flanking it is? I never noticed it before.. also is there something specific we need to do to get a fleet/armada or we just need to buy more freighters?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I've hit a game breaking bug. I'm supposed to fuel my hyperdrive by getting an antimatter from a Corvax. I have now done that 5 times and my hyperdrive is full. I can no longer 'fuel my hyperdrive' and it won't let me jump. I just stay in the same system. The only alternative I have is to dismantle my hyperdrive and hope I can find what I need to build it again. And then I have to hope the Corvax has an antimatter. At the moment, I just haven't got the patience to mess about.

So, turning off Ambient Multiplayer doesn't...turn that shit off? Damn.
Seems like that is a bug that definitely needs patching for the multiplayer to turn off.
not sure, I'd guess so...
but for whatever reason it was definitely happening, e.g. here: (spoiler tags just to reduce clutter/not hinder readability hehe)

I fly in, PvP the dude, do enough damage that as I turn to come back around he dies from weather damage -- he did pretty massive damage to my S Class shields, too.

then if you play it a few minutes longer...

you can see Network Play was turned Off

just one example but this happened 5-6 times in this stream (and almost every time I keep checking options lol to see that MP is still turned off). people just kept joining.

but like I said above, technically I loaded into the game with Network On... maybe you gotta reload the game? restart the client... guess I'll see tonight haha gonna play it again once I get home -- we'll see if more ppl keep joining I guess o.0

Last edited:
You're better off that way. Good motivation to get out there exploring.
yeah... TBH... on occasion I go back and watch the video of me surviving my starter frozen planet and damn did I have some close calls...

no life support, no shields, , down to 3 Life, strafing wall climbing some mountainside and barely reach some surprise life-saving thamium9 -style close calls lol

or getting stranded for hours on my first crashed hauler ship new planet (frozen, too, cuz of course) with aggressive killer mantis bugs and can't find heridium and then can't find zinc for the life of me...

good memories haha life lessons for permadeath

number one lesson for survival setting in this game is risk mitigation and preparation. prepare for the worst. assume that every time you leave the safety of a space station, everything will go wrong and there will be aggressive enemies, life threatening weather, no resources for your shields or life support, and no resources for your ship launcher. prepare as if all those things can go wrong and you'll be okay ;D

TheMikado

Banned
Update I was able to spawn my freighter in space and I can board it now. Also anyone know what that smaller ship flanking it is? I never noticed it before.. also is there something specific we need to do to get a fleet/armada or we just need to buy more freighters?

Further updates. Got a bunch of Frigates. Very cool system. Problem I'm having is that a got spawned in a system that wasn't where my base was and my base is gone so I cant use teleporters until I have a base. So I would need to get warp drive fuel first which seems to be more of a pain now. Instead, Im going to build a base to get a teleporter to my original system and build my real base on my home planet.

Another bug, seems if you warp your frieghter too close to other large objects such as a space station, ship no longer dock at your frieghter, nor the space station. Weird. Had to move my frieghter farther away to get the ships to dock again.

Also noticed I lost my extra space ships which sucks. Likely from the before mentioned partial render of my frieghter. They're completely gone!!!

Also noticed prices of things are completely different. I dropped almost 100 million units on my frieghter and you can get them for like 5-7million now. ugh!!

S class ships only cost like 10 million. So ticked that I grinded 100 mill in units and spent them on a frieghter.

I really like the update even with the bugs.

Last edited:
Further updates. Got a bunch of Frigates. Very cool system. Problem I'm having is that a got spawned in a system that wasn't where my base was and my base is gone so I cant use teleporters until I have a base. So I would need to get warp drive fuel first which seems to be more of a pain now. Instead, Im going to build a base to get a teleporter to my original system and build my real base on my home planet.

Another bug, seems if you warp your frieghter too close to other large objects such as a space station, ship no longer dock at your frieghter, nor the space station. Weird. Had to move my frieghter farther away to get the ships to dock again.

Also noticed I lost my extra space ships which sucks. Likely from the before mentioned partial render of my frieghter. They're completely gone!!!

Also noticed prices of things are completely different. I dropped almost 100 million units on my frieghter and you can get them for like 5-7million now. ugh!!

S class ships only cost like 10 million. So ticked that I grinded 100 mill in units and spent them on a frieghter.

I really like the update even with the bugs.
your ships are probably still there... just they didn't spawn in your freighter. bring up your Summon Ship menu, probably all your ships there.

I noticed the same thing about NPC ships docking, too... you can summer your Freighter much closer to the space station sometimes now, I think that's what screws it up.

BTW, your old base planet is pretty much guaranteed to be different. it's not like 1.3 where the universe just kinda 'regen' and some places stay the same or similar. basically every planet got a hard reset this time, from biomes to names. only thing I've found that wasn't changed 100% changed across all examples was that a few star system names and races/economies stayed the same (but all their planets still changed).

I really want to save my old base to and put it back ... but my old base planet is nothing but a low gravity desolate moon now haha absolutely nothing there... barely any light or gravity, even, let alone resources or flora and fauna ;p

Top Bottom