• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man’s Sky |OT| Next!

wipeout364

I haven’t played since the original release how much of a change is all this and the other expansions. I put about 30 hours into the original and enjoyed it but got a bit bored and then my save file corrupted and I was done.

Will this blow my mind or is it all hype again?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The caves are so much better:

I'm a big NMS fan but caves might be my biggest disappointment in the game thus far. This elaborate network of caves... with nothing in them. I really hope they add cave creatures and specific resources that can only be found deep inside them one day.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I haven’t played since the original release how much of a change is all this and the other expansions. I put about 30 hours into the original and enjoyed it but got a bit bored and then my save file corrupted and I was done.

Will this blow my mind or is it all hype again?

IMO all the expansions together is a massive change. The game has structure and purpose now and the visuals are hugely improved. The gameplay loop is very satisfying if you're into survival/resource gathering type games.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
That blue energy looks nice:

7-21-2018_10-40-20_AM.png

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Seems like a definite improvement. Deciding between this and elite dangerous will be tough
Elite is better as far as space combat for sure, but it's also super complicated and imo doesn't control well on a gamepad (just too many functions to map). I spent an hour just trying, and failing, to dock a ship and then gave up. NMS lacks some of the depth, but if exploration and a more chill experience are what you want, definitely go that route.

Last edited:
Seems like a definite improvement. Deciding between this and elite dangerous will be tough
pretty different games I think... Elite is really more focused on the ship piloting experience, and is deeper and better at that facet.

NMS is actually a tremendously broad game, a real jack of all trades.. it's like a light mix of Rust/DayZ, Minecraft, and Elite...

equal parts Survive, Explore, Prosper with an equal focus on foot gameplay, flying gameplay, and building gameplay.

and it's pretty viable to focus on just one... I know folks in the NMS community that put 100s of hours mostly just into exploration, with almost 0 attachment to building or having a home; in contrast, most of my 250 hours have barely left the star system neighborhood where I started the game lol because all I do is mine, farm, and build. and yet other folks focus on the combat, pirating, etc... game has a mission system too that really lets you focus on exploration or combat missions, or a economic system that makes farming or trading very viable, and an exploration rewards system that even makes exploration viable as a source of income.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nice! Thanks for the videos GribbleGrunger GribbleGrunger ! I am definitely jumping back in. As I mentioned earlier, I have not played since a few months after launch, so all the major changes prior to this one will be new to me, capital ships, different play modes, graphics overhaul, etc..

It is almost like a "sequel", down to the marketed name change. So I assume this is a free update to what we have now like the prior ones?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Nice! Thanks for the videos GribbleGrunger GribbleGrunger ! I am definitely jumping back in. As I mentioned earlier, I have not played since a few months after launch, so all the major changes prior to this one will be new to me, capital ships, different play modes, graphics overhaul, etc..

It is almost like a "sequel", down to the marketed name change. So I assume this is a free update to what we have now like the prior ones?

Play Survival. Do it! And yes, it's free.

Last edited:

TimFL

pretty different games I think... Elite is really more focused on the ship piloting experience, and is deeper and better at that facet.

NMS is actually a tremendously broad game, a real jack of all trades.. it's like a light mix of Rust/DayZ, Minecraft, and Elite...

equal parts Survive, Explore, Prosper with an equal focus on foot gameplay, flying gameplay, and building gameplay.

and it's pretty viable to focus on just one... I know folks in the NMS community that put 100s of hours mostly just into exploration, with almost 0 attachment to building or having a home; in contrast, most of my 250 hours have barely left the star system neighborhood where I started the game lol because all I do is mine, farm, and build. and yet other folks focus on the combat, pirating, etc... game has a mission system too that really lets you focus on exploration or combat missions, or a economic system that makes farming or trading very viable, and an exploration rewards system that even makes exploration viable as a source of income.
I am one of the exploration guys (bought on launch day) but only have 36 hours put into the game (mostly during the launch period). I enjoyed the launch because it was always heavily advertised as a procedural exploration game, that's the thing I loved about it. Jumping from planet to planet and then solar system to solar system, eventually stopping cause it was very repetitive and buggy.
I tried to play it again with the last few updates but they added barely anything for exploration: base building? Cool for the people who want it but I have yet to build a single base (absolutely despised the fact that they forced you to build a base to get access to stuff like that one hazmat gauntlet). Quests? Also nothing for me because I like the sandbox feeling and I don't like working off checklists/quests. Freighters? Cool in theory but too expensive IG.
NEXT seems to be the update that pulls me back in because it adds the only thing I wanted from NMS: proper multiplayer which in return will add a fresh feeling to exploration again.

Elite Dangerous is regularly on sale on Xbox live for cheap. I actually got it a while back but haven't really jumped in yet. But it's on sale a lot.

By cheap, I mean $12.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And give that menu system a damned good looking over before you press on. The amount of people that die just because they don't know how to craft something is staggering.

Confession: I was one of them.

I defintiely will do that. I had it down well when the game came out, knowing what I needed, and what resources I needed to have on hand. Also was maxed on suit and tool, but I know a lot has been refined and changed since then.

VulcanRaven

I bought the game last year but played it only for few hours. I decided to continue it yesterday and I really enjoyed it. The icy planet I landed on looks great. This update sounds good.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I defintiely will do that. I had it down well when the game came out, knowing what I needed, and what resources I needed to have on hand. Also was maxed on suit and tool, but I know a lot has been refined and changed since then.

If you played before Foundation, Pathfinder, Atlas rises and of course NEXT, this game is going to blow you away.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
How far did you actually get into the game?

Problem was, I got very OCD (early on), so I had to explore every planet and fauna to the 100% mark, then I realized some were a little buggy and/or I am holding myself back since it is pretty much limitless. I think I made one jump to a new solar system, and started there, but then stopped playing due to personal life.

I had a maxed slotted suit, and maxed multi-tool with things place in the 'puzzle' very well. My ship was not super high up there (maybe 18-20 slots if I can remember correctly), and I did not venture too far if at all in the Atlas path.

Funny story, I was actually banned here in the original OT (I think), when the old moderation had pretty much sanctioned biases, for "being too invested in the game/too many posts in the topic, take a break"... when I was not even the one who had the most posts, in fact, the person(s) dogging on it, and straight up making shit up piling on in hostile manner had the most in the thread, and they never recieved so much of a warning. Was an odd time indeed, since you had to hate on Sean Murray and subscribe to the "liar" narrative. Much improved this site is now.

So I was into the game, just fell off for a while and with the backlog being so big right now, I just never put the disc back in (but it is still installed and updated). I am definitely hyped to get back into it, and hopefully a nice sale on the digital so I can double dip, and retire the LE disc to the shelf. I even ordered the OG PS4 Limited Edition HDD cover from EU at the time, lol.

I am seriously considering wiping my save, and starting from scratch (when the update hits), since I did not get that far at all... and the suit/tool grind was the extensiveness I did really, which was not all that bad.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Problem was, I got very OCD (early on), so I had to explore every planet and fauna to the 100% mark, then I realized some were a little buggy and/or I am holding myself back since it is pretty much limitless. I think I made one jump to a new solar system, and started there, but then stopped playing due to personal life.

I had a maxed slotted suit, and maxed multi-tool with things place in the 'puzzle' very well. My ship was not super high up there (maybe 18-20 slots if I can remember correctly), and I did not venture too far if at all in the Atlas path.

Funny story, I was actually banned here in the original OT (I think), when the old moderation had pretty much sanctioned biases, for "being too invested in the game/too many posts in the topic, take a break"... when I was not even the one who had the most posts, in fact, the person(s) dogging on it, and straight up making shit up piling on in hostile manner had the most in the thread, and they never recieved so much of a warning. Was an odd time indeed, since you had to hate on Sean Murray and subscribe to the "liar" narrative. Much improved this site is now.

So I was into the game, just fell off for a while and with the backlog being so big right now, I just never put the disc back in (but it is still installed and updated). I am definitely hyped to get back into it, and hopefully a nice sale on the digital so I can double dip, and retire the LE disc to the shelf. I even ordered the OG PS4 Limited Edition HDD cover from EU at the time, lol.

I am seriously considering wiping my save, and starting from scratch (when the update hits), since I did not get that far at all... and the suit/tool grind was the extensiveness I did really, which was not all that bad.

Oh, I remember that.

I'm envious of you! And, yes, start again.

7-21-2018_2-28-45_PM.png

TimFL

Maxing your suit and ship was very very VERY easy on the launch day version. You could just fly over a planet and discover 48 suit slot pods on one planet and also use the beacon glitch to find infinite crashed ships on your planet (they were always the same or +1 level your ship). These bugs have since been fixed and I assume it's very time consuming to get max. suit slots or a high slot ship (although launch day ships do not have a good ship class). I would advise against starting over for that reason again.
Chances are, with the updated procedural generation, you'll have to go through the starting quest again (finding your ship and repairing it). I know that I'll keep my savegame (Steam) and just continue on the planet it throws me on.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Maxing your suit and ship was very very VERY easy on the launch day version. You could just fly over a planet and discover 48 suit slot pods on one planet and also use the beacon glitch to find infinite crashed ships on your planet (they were always the same or +1 level your ship). These bugs have since been fixed and I assume it's very time consuming to get max. suit slots or a high slot ship (although launch day ships do not have a good ship class). I would advise against starting over for that reason again.
Chances are, with the updated procedural generation, you'll have to go through the starting quest again (finding your ship and repairing it). I know that I'll keep my savegame (Steam) and just continue on the planet it throws me on.

I knew of that glitch, though I thought it was intended at the time, but I only took advantage of it late before I stopped playing, and for only 3 or 4 ships maybe. For the suit slots, I actually just explored and had enough resources to upgrade until I was maxed. I did not know you can do them on one planet at the time. While it was much slower, probably still easier than now. I have the save in the cloud, so I will see if I have to do the starting quest again. If so, then I won't wipe the save at all. Thanks for the 411.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

I wonder how this update will affect old saves? Will the old planets that you already visited look different?

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I knew of that glitch, though I thought it was intended at the time, but I only took advantage of it late before I stopped playing, and for only 3 or 4 ships maybe. For the suit slots, I actually just explored and had enough resources to upgrade until I was maxed. I did not know you can do them on one planet at the time. While it was much slower, probably still easier than now. I have the save in the cloud, so I will see if I have to do the starting quest again. If so, then I won't wipe the save at all. Thanks for the 411.

Move forward, don't look forward. There's always someone with 'more' than you and if you look forward that's all you'll see and aspire to. That will lead to disappointment and frustration. Moving forward makes you appreciate the small improvements you yourself are making. That should be your goal.

Delete and start again!

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Everything we've seen so far in one easy to digest orgasmafest:

... I should have thought about excluding 'easy to digest'. :(

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Neo 007

If the game had launched like this from Day 1 it would have been a smash hit......still could be I hope.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
This is starting to get interesting. The guy who has been posting vids found a key in a ruin and now he's just found a chest that requires 3 of those keys.

The treasure was a LAKEFERN BULB

Its worth 150,228 units

7-21-2018_6-08-56_PM.png

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Nice ... maybe ...:

Also guys... I can confirm that the new portals let you go to various places including base-to-base, stations, mission locations

Mmmm ...

7-21-2018_6-19-03_PM.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Ill give this another go. Reinstalled on PC to start fresh. I played at launch so I haven’t done any of the prior update content either.

Top Bottom