• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man’s Sky |OT| Next!

Catphish

Seems like a definite improvement. Deciding between this and elite dangerous will be tough
While the games are different enough to appeal to different niches, and "each have their own strengths" is applicable, it's obvious that Hello Games care A HELL of a lot more about improving their game than Frontier does theirs.

Elite Dangerous has been neglected for some time, and I'll be really surprised if Frontier does anything of substance with it again.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
While the games are different enough to appeal to different niches, and "each have their own strengths" is applicable, it's obvious that Hello Games care A HELL of a lot more about improving their game than Frontier does theirs.

Elite Dangerous has been neglected for some time, and I'll be really surprised if Frontier does anything of substance with it again.

Don't they have a final DLC coming still, or did it already come out?

I have been on a the fence with Elite for some time now for the PS4.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
cAQIcAC.png

Color me unexcited. The overkilled buzz well...killed the game.

It was a meant and build as a meta-narrative, conceptual (the generative part) immersion game (the Atlas, the Portal, the Rune, the center of the universe...) and instead because Sony oversold it, they suddenly had to cater to the CoD couch-potato player base with uninteresting or original functionalities, which led them completely astray from the original game point towards something that will probably neither satisfy the expecting crowds but will also not interest the original crowd it was meant for...

Still a big fucking lesson, if not the biggest, in game marketing and design...

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Color me unexcited. The overkilled buzz well...killed the game.

It was a meant and build as a meta-narrative, conceptual (the generative part) immersion game (the Atlas, the Portal, the Rune, the center of the universe...) and instead because Sony oversold it, they suddenly had to cater to the CoD couch-potato player base with uninteresting or original functionalities, which led them completely astray from the original game point towards something that will probably neither satisfy the expecting crowds but will also not interest the original crowd it was meant for...

Still a big fucking lesson, if not the biggest, in game marketing and design...

I've been saying this for a long time but at the end of the day, it is what it is and we might as well try and take from it what we need. I have seen enough now to realise, even though a good 50% of this content doesn't interest me in the least, the other 50% is noteworthy and exciting.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Architect:

I was on a planet in normal mode farming for resources... and a sentinel had his eye on me (theres a new HUD icon that tells you when sentinels are watching or near you).. After mining too many rocks, he started attacking me, so I killed it. Then I got an alert saying that Combat reinforcement sentinels were on their way to me. When those finally showed up, they were like heavily armored versions of the normal flying around type

I Platinum'd the original version and popped it back in to buy myself a Freighter when that first big content patch came out. I've been letting the game pile up enhancements and content since then.

I'm excited for other PS4 games and X1 owners to finally get to experience this game for the first time. I liked it back then. Can't imagine how incredible the game is now.

Oh my word:

pretty...

it's not a big change, and most of the geometry looks the same TBH.. the 'bigger world scale'... I'm not sure I see a big difference...

but the ground? the most obvious improvement at least on this planet is how nice the ground looks. feels the ground textures and added foliage have both been improved. when he started walking around, it look really good.

the two terminals seemed a bit changed, too... the waypoint thing-y doesn't have that half-shield currently, and I'm not sure what the other thing is... a new resource gathering for one of the new resources? (oxygen?)

MastAndo

No HDR on PC? What up with that. I suppose I can spend the $20 on the PS4 (Pro) version to see if I can get back into this one.

Redshirt

Banned
Has there been anyway word on whether the GOG edition is getting NEXT in full?

I know there were some problems in the past with that edition having less features, but I didn't monitor the situation closely.

Someone asked me today at work, and I didn't know. Google search didn't pull up much but a brief tweet from GOG.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Has there been anyway word on whether the GOG edition is getting NEXT in full?

I know there were some problems in the past with that edition having less features, but I didn't monitor the situation closely.

Someone asked me today at work, and I didn't know. Google search didn't pull up much but a brief tweet from GOG.

What's GOG?

Vesper73

Hey Grib, day0 patch just dropped on Xbox! The clouds now look unbelievable! Stunning!

Clouds!

Update: Nevermind, you were on it!

Last edited:

MastAndo

So, PC version on a GTX 970 or PS4 Pro? Not sure why the PC version is still pretty expensive, but yeah, mods and such. I have a comfy couch set up for both, but I tried it on PC early on, and it was kind of stuttery.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Things are happening at the moment, folks. The Steam page has just been updated and Sean sent a tweet about DM21 summoning the patch notes. INCOMING!

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Why don't you all rebuild your databases in preparation for the update. I've got a nicely defragged PS4 sitting here just waiting for those clouds.

been trading crashed trade items for a few days now to stock up on some units... can't wait to see how much all the new freighter and frigate stuff costs.

Top Bottom