• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's 74th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders

Rösti;118896635 said:
There's also a very lengthy securities report: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2014/security_q1403.pdf

Reading through it currently. There's an updated subsidiaries list in there, but not really anything new apart from a mention of PUX Co., Ltd.

Do they not have to record whatever acquisition they made earlier in the year? It's probably a good bet it had something to do with either QoL or Amiibo, but it would be interesting to know for sure.

Amir0x

Banned
In a scenario where dedicated handhelds have become completely obsolete, consumers simply won't see an adequate handheld experience as added value. If that's the case, then what's the point? You may as well use the money spent on things like the display (even an "adequate" screen will have a considerable impact on the device's manufacturing costs) to build a beefier or cheaper console.

Sometimes a product may have little appeal when separated out and people have to pay money for it on top of something else. For example, someone may think "I don't really play games enough to buy hardware dedicated to handheld gameplay. Sorry, I just don't." But then if it's offered as part of a package, they may say "wow it's really convenient to be able to do both in one product. I never really pursued gaming on the go before, but now I think I may dabble every now and then."

This is a hypothetical of course, but there's really nothing at all outrageous with someone finding something appealing when they don't perceive they have to go and pay for it uniquely. I honestly think you're being a bit pessimistic too. I mean, straight up, Wii U's screen is fucktrocious, I'm sorry but in my estimation as put up against even the industry average, it just is. But that doesn't stop certain hardcore Nintendo fans from lauding the possibilities of dual screen gameplay. For everything, there's a trade off and it's always about finding the right path. You may be right that there is no right path here, but in my view gaming dedicated handhelds are gone in a gen or two without some real blue ocean shaking up. I am trying to conceive of concepts that can do this on a gaming dedicated handheld, and it fails me - but Nintendo has tons of R&D into trying to pursue something unique, so hopefully they figure something out. As I said earlier, never count an idea of Nintendo's out. I'm just weighing it as odds-poor.

Your example could be implemented in a more elegant way with two separate devices that talk to each other using a basic cloud service (believe it or not, NERD are actually working on cloud stuff in some capacity). A true hybrid console offers very few, if any advantages over Nintendo's planned universal architecture beyond the coolness factor that a docking system has for a small group of tech-heads.

Everything could be implemented more elegantly if given their wings room to spread and fly. That's just obvious. But it's not about coolness - it's about convenience. Wii U would have been a lot more appealing imo to a greater audience if the pad wasn't tethered to that prohibitively tiny window. It probably wouldn't have made it a success (too many other factors bringing it down), but I think it's an opportunity going forward.

The problem is that it's not really up to Nintendo anymore. The downward trajectory is clear everywhere. They can continue to make systems where Pokemon always sells well and Monster Hunter perks up their system month-over-month, but eventually even that's not going to be enough to hold up an entire pillar which is crumbling in most territories or which has been eroded away to dangerous levels. Only Japan and a few other minor or major territories are even doing decent numbers for the 3DS anymore, and if you look at how they now have to focus on Wii U, there's no indication this is set to improve.

You don't know how much I want to be wrong here. I have always enjoyed gaming dedicated handhelds since the GBA, and it gave me Mother 3 among other classics. But I try to be realistic here. With the continued proliferation of all-in-one devices, devices which parents are now buying even for their five year olds, it's getting harder and harder to imagine a future where people make room in their purse and/or pockets for yet another handheld device, let alone one dedicated to gaming.

This is the one area where smart phones really are destroying Nintendo's business as far as I can tell. Nintendo is fighting a real estate battle, where the victor gets that last position in someone's garment. And I don't see how they win it, people value pretty much everything else more than gaming, and everything else is in those phones, and you can get some gaming to boot in that trade-off. How does Nintendo compete with that? I can continue the mantra "good games, baby" until I'm blue in the face, but in my view that's a naive view of the industry at this point. Sometimes, even the best of games is not enough to change the realities of the market and where it's going. Sometimes people are willing to "settle" for the endless runner titles of iPhone. I'm sure Wii U is going to have some of the best games of 2015 looking at its lineup. But it's going to change nothing in its overall place.

A side note on the uncertain future of dedicated handhelds: while things have certainly been on a downward trend since the advent of tablets and smartphones, the latter also coincided with Nintendo and Sony releasing some of their least compelling gaming products to date. A lot of people seem to forget that the basic foundation of the 3DS was already set in stone well before iOS and Android became a threat. I'd like to see how Nintendo's first real answer to smart devices shapes up before declaring that market segment as not viable going forward.

I don't think they were the least compelling at all. I think outside of Nintendo's initial pricing and their misjudgment of people's desire for 3D, the unit itself got fantastic as soon as Nintendo dropped that price. And Vita is probably the greatest piece of gaming dedicated handheld hardware ever conceived, it's a virtual gamers dream. And I love the games, and don't care the indies are often on other consoles.

But my personal perspective aside, I don't think what happened has anything to do with their compelling nature or lackthereof; I think it has to do with people moving on. A lot of people more invested in this subject than I have done their research, and the correlation seems to be real. People are moving on from gaming dedicated handhelds, as unfortunate as that may seem. And it's not because 3DS or Vita are particularly ill designed handhelds either.

My comment was meant to be tongue in cheek. Nintendo has a history of sitting just a ahead of the major wave of success for technologies. They just tend to paddle out too early and miss the ride. Who else had video game consoles connected to an online network in the 80's?

Hard to tell sometimes when a comment is tongue-in-cheek on here haha. ;P

Nintendo's problem also is they can't seem to implement anything without putting their own unique Nintendo spin on it, which frequently leads to a much less pleasant user experience. If I had to criticize Nintendo on one thing, is that they often don't understand when they need to follow a good idea, and when they need to lead the way.

Tripon

Rösti;118896635 said:
There's also a very lengthy securities report: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2014/security_q1403.pdf

Reading through it currently. There's an updated subsidiaries list in there, but not really anything new apart from a mention of PUX Co., Ltd.

PUX is a software company. Their website said that Nintendo and Panasonic made an investment back in Sept. 2013, and that their software was integrated into the Wii U. Panasonic holds a 51% share of PUX, while Nintendo owns 27%. They apparently also helped with the Brain Training series.

Here's the link to their English website. http://www.pux.co.jp/en/

Here's also the GAF source on PUX.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=686675

Amir0x

Banned
PUX is a software company. Their website said that Nintendo and Panasonic made an investment back in Sept. 2013, and that their software was integrated into the Wii U. Panasonic holds a 51% share of PUX, while Nintendo owns 27%. They apparently also helped with the Brain Training series.

Here's the link to their English website. http://www.pux.co.jp/en/

Here's also the GAF source on PUX.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=686675

Man it's amazing how much info there is that get drowned sometimes. I never even heard of PUX

AniHawk

Man it's amazing how much info there is that get drowned sometimes. I never even heard of PUX

it actually got started as a web comic before they moved into the convention scene. now they're so big they don't really know who they are at their core, but the most disturbing thing is the laughter.

The most interesting thing Nintendo can do, i believe, is somewhat short-term. And that's basically turn the Wii U in the ultimate Nintendo delivery platform, the hardware is up to task. Games from all gen of Nintendo systems under 1 roof. Worth the shot because the industry is migrating to a service model and if Nintendo wants another shot to the traditional console busyness model they'll need quite some time cooking the next concept. Not rush jobs like the last two launches.

Amir0x

Banned
it actually got started as a web comic before they moved into the convention scene. now they're so big they don't really know who they are at their core, but the most disturbing thing is the laughter.

I am missing the reference here :(

The most interesting thing Nintendo can do, i believe, is somewhat short-term. And that's basically turn the Wii U in the ultimate Nintendo delivery platform, the hardware is up to task. Games from all gen of Nintendo systems under 1 roof. Worth the shot because the industry is migrating to a service model and if Nintendo wants another shot to the traditional console busyness model they'll need quite some time cooking the next concept. Not rush jobs like the last two launches.

What like a Netflix subscription where you automatically get access to all Nintendo games?

What like a Netflix subscription where you automatically get access to all Nintendo games?
Too radical for them for now, maybe in a more distant future.

What im suggesting is an universal emulator sold at the cost of a game. Starting up with some strong GC/Wii/3DS releases both 1st and 3rd party. The 3DS seems running out of steam so cannibalism shouldn't be a concern plus they would start with some older releases. Plus it could be attractive for 3DS developers to have the chance for an extra game sale of an already developed title.

Having classic games enhanced with better visuals is an attractive proposition to the Nintendo fan base which are the main audience this console can sell to.

Amend: Would be partial emulation in GC and Wii cases? Since the Wii U has a very similar CPU architecture to those platforms. This would be great for Wii games with classic control support since you could play them with the U Gamepad and browse the menus with the touch screen emulating the Wii Remote pointing.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Nintendo to release megatons this coming E3 2015. Time to hype it up a year beforehand.

I just want my new zelda game already ;_;

watershed

Banned
Nintendo's investors are taking the long view. There's nothing a new president could do right now to change Nintendo's outlook. Their long term plan isn't awful anyways.

Concerning Zelda, I quote :

"In addition to that, we have ideas for Nintendo 3DS which we have not announced yet, so I hope you will look forward to them."

What?

Majora 3D or new 3ds zelda no doubt.

Hoping for the latter since ALBW was so good. Excited to see them build off that.

RiggyRob

Majora 3D or new 3ds zelda no doubt.

Hoping for the latter since ALBW was so good. Excited to see them build off that.

Although this Annual General Meeting of Shareholders is a special opportunity, I am afraid I cannot give you any information other than what has been officially announced. At this point, there are a few titles under development in “The Legend of Zelda” series, so please look forward to their completion.

Assuming they're not counting Hyrule Warriors as one of those games, this sounds like they've got Zelda U, Majora 3D + one other in the works.

Interesting.

Edit:
Miyamoto said:
received a comment on my previous remark, so please let me explain what I said. (Regarding the new Legend of Zelda title for Wii U,) I intentionally used the term “open world” so that it would be easier (for consumers) to understand, just as the shareholder has pointed out. Please understand I meant that when the development teams have discussions, I dislike heavily using terms that are commonly used (when developing something new and surprising).

I suspect that software makers that develop game software (for advanced game players) for the game systems from Microsoft and Sony must have actually been having a harder time than we think. It takes a year for the development teams to get used to high-performance graphics using recent shader technology, and afterwards it requires two or three times the time and labor costs to develop a game. According to one theory, since some projects even require the budgets of over 10 billion yen, not all projects will be profitable. It is a harsh world, in which a game can hardly survive if it doesn’t make it into the top ten of the sales rankings.

However, I am not saying that Nintendo will not work on this. As Mr. Takahashi previously said, our subsidiary, MONOLITH SOFTWARE INC., is working on several projects, and PlatinumGames Inc. has announced two titles for the “Bayonetta” series. It took time, but we are now able to develop software suitable for Wii U, and we would like to release new titles from now on.

Miyamoto channeling Iwata's spirit. Speaking lots of sense.

KooopaKid

Banned
Q9: "I do not understand video games and I even feel angry because, at Nintendo’s shareholders’ meetings, the shareholders always discuss things relating to video games or such childish topics as “what the future of video games should be,” while I, for one, was flabbergasted that Mr. Iwata continues to hold his position although he had said that he would resign if the company’s performance were bad*.
I hope that Nintendo’s shareholders’ meeting will become an opportunity where the shareholders discuss the company’s business operations from the viewpoints of capital gain and dividends.

Fuck you!

A10 : "Since over 43 million units of Nintendo 3DS hardware were sold globally, we would like to release many software titles this year as well to inspire consumers to buy many of them"

Second time they say this but I don't see it. 2 Pokemon remakes and SSB3DS that's it?

MilesTeg

Banned
Miyamoto:

"This year, the majority of what the other developers exhibited was bloody shooter software that was mainly set in violent surroundings or, in a different sense, realistic and cool worlds. Because so many software developers are competing in that category, it seemed like most of the titles at the show were of that kind."

Haha.

Q9: "I do not understand video games and I even feel angry because, at Nintendo’s shareholders’ meetings, the shareholders always discuss things relating to video games or such childish topics as “what the future of video games should be,” while I, for one, was flabbergasted that Mr. Iwata continues to hold his position although he had said that he would resign if the company’s performance were bad*.
I hope that Nintendo’s shareholders’ meeting will become an opportunity where the shareholders discuss the company’s business operations from the viewpoints of capital gain and dividends.

Fuck you!

That's just a normal investor dude.

It's actually surprising that nintendo seems to have so many fans as shareholders in the annual meetings. Although this guy is rather ignorant, while some of the questions can seem fannish, most of them are necessary. If he can't understand how important a question to nintendo's future profits "the future of video games" is, especially in a world where kids increasingly have access to tablets and high end smartphones, then I'm not really sure why he's investing in video game stock.

RiggyRob

Q9: I do not understand video games and I even feel angry because, at Nintendo’s shareholders’ meetings, the shareholders always discuss things relating to video games or such childish topics as “what the future of video games should be,” while I, for one, was flabbergasted that Mr. Iwata continues to hold his position although he had said that he would resign if the company’s performance were bad*.
* Regarding this part of the shareholder’s comment, please read the Q&A from the Annual General Meeting of Shareholders that Nintendo held in June 2013.

Takeda:
I appreciate your tough comment. We, the directors of this company, believe that we should take responsibility by recovering our business’s momentum. I would like to ask Mr. Kimishima to comment on this valuable opinion from one of the Nintendo shareholders.

Kimishima:
The Annual General Meeting of Shareholders is an important opportunity for communication between Nintendo shareholders and the company’s management team. It is a place where we respond to the views expressed by shareholders, in order to discuss how we should develop the company from now on. From that perspective, talking about the company’s business operations is very important and, at the same time, as an entertainment company, it is also very important for us to inform our shareholders about the kinds of entertainment Nintendo offers, including video game content. Therefore, as the shareholder has just commented, we are and will continue trying to thoroughly discuss our business operations, and we will continue to respond to questions from other shareholders regarding the kinds of entertainment we are challenging ourselves to offer. We will try to further enhance the Annual General Meeting of Shareholders from now on. We appreciate your continued support of the company.

Takeda:
Once again, we appreciate these valuable comments from the shareholder.

If there was ever a time a shareholder needed to be verbally bitch-slapped, this was it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
"while I, for one, was flabbergasted"

The person translating this really wanted to portray this person and a pompous tit didn't they.

Nicktendo86

Interesting...

This term means that there is a large world in which players can do numerous things daily. In the traditional “The Legend of Zelda” series, the player would play one dungeon at a time. For example, if there are eight dungeons, at the fourth dungeon, some players may think, “I’m already halfway through the game,” while other players may think, “I still have half of the game to play.” We are trying to gradually break down such mechanism and develop a game style in which you can enjoy “The Legend of Zelda” freely in a vast world, whenever you find the time to do so.

Eolz

Finally officially translated!
Some good and interesting stuff, and some completely uninteresting as usual.
Somehow some questions are even more ridiculous completely translated.

MilesTeg

Banned
Miyamoto says Monolith is working on several projects:

"As Mr. Takahashi previously said, our subsidiary, MONOLITH SOFTWARE INC., is working on several projects"

Also, this struck me as pretty funny (Miyamoto again):

"I suspect that software makers that develop game software (for advanced game players) for the game systems from Microsoft and Sony must have actually been having a harder time than we think. It takes a year for the development teams to get used to high-performance graphics using recent shader technology, and afterwards it requires two or three times the time and labor costs to develop a game. According to one theory, since some projects even require the budgets of over 10 billion yen, not all projects will be profitable. It is a harsh world, in which a game can hardly survive if it doesn’t make it into the top ten of the sales rankings."

Well no shit Miyamoto. Welcome to reality.

Q11: I do understand that Nintendo is planning to improve its performance with Wii U and Nintendo 3DS for this fiscal year and the next, but in the long term, I, as a video game fan who wants Nintendo to keep on running a game business, am worried that Nintendo might be going to become a manufacturer of health devices in the future. I would like to own Nintendo stock for as long as ten years, so please show game fans like me something that will convince us that the game business will have a bright future in that period. It seems to me that the hardware-software integrated platform business will not last forever. Is Nintendo not going to change this business model? If not, I am concerned that failure of the next hardware system could be critical. In order to wipe away my anxiety, I would like to hear about Nintendo’s dreams for the future, especially from Mr. Miyamoto.

Miyamoto:

Thank you so much for expecting a lot from the future of the game business. My comment relates to the comment made by another shareholder today, and I believe that these kinds of questions on video games from shareholder are not irrelevant to our company management. This is because, for an entertainment company like Nintendo, the most essential question is not to improve our profitability but how to maintain a high level of sales and sustain the company over a timespan of, for example, 10 years. The entertainment business inherently has a lot of ups and downs. When I joined the company over 30 years ago, Nintendo had a great amount of debt loans. Now, it is sometimes said that Nintendo is too cash-rich, but this is essential for us to try new endeavors. I am sorry for the shareholder who just asked this question, but I cannot predict what is going to happen 10 years from now. It is true that I have a sense of fear in that “hand-me-down smartphones,” as pointed out by another shareholder, are becoming hardware systems on which to play games due to their prices being lower than that of our most inexpensive video game system in our history. However, I do not believe that will completely control the future of video games. Of course, it is important to gain profit in effective ways, but Nintendo always has to take seriously, for example, network security for children. Taking into consideration that more and more children have a good command of these kinds of media, which help these media to spread, the most important task for Nintendo is how to provide new styles of entertainment by using these technologies, and how to make these new kinds of entertainment yield significant sales and profits. It goes without saying that Nintendo has been trying to improve its profitability at the same time. For example, at E3 this year, we were able to obtain more page views on our website while considerably reducing our E3-related costs.

About the prospects of “ten years from now” (which were mentioned in the question), I believe it will work itself out because new forms of entertainment are always born. But, we always need to work with a clear consciousness that we have to act now to make that happen. This consciousness is mounting high among people at Nintendo now, so please wait for our next move. I believe the appeal of video games is not transient and human beings have an instinctual love of games. I would like to keep on producing new products that surprise people all over the world.

Great response from Miyamoto.

moolamb

In addition, we have already announced that we are now developing the next title for the orthodox “The Legend of Zelda” series for Wii U, and that it will be an “open world,” as announced at E3. I prefer not to use the generally used term “open world” when developing software, but we used this term in order to make it easier for consumers to understand. This term means that there is a large world in which players can do numerous things daily. In the traditional “The Legend of Zelda” series, the player would play one dungeon at a time. For example, if there are eight dungeons, at the fourth dungeon, some players may think, “I’m already halfway through the game,” while other players may think, “I still have half of the game to play.” We are trying to gradually break down such mechanism and develop a game style in which you can enjoy “The Legend of Zelda” freely in a vast world, whenever you find the time to do so.

Animal Crossing X Zelda U...

I'm okay with that.

Jintor

"I suspect that software makers that develop game software (for advanced game players) for the game systems from Microsoft and Sony must have actually been having a harder time than we think. It takes a year for the development teams to get used to high-performance graphics using recent shader technology, and afterwards it requires two or three times the time and labor costs to develop a game. According to one theory, since some projects even require the budgets of over 10 billion yen, not all projects will be profitable. It is a harsh world, in which a game can hardly survive if it doesn’t make it into the top ten of the sales rankings."

Well no shit Miyamoto. Welcome to reality.

What a vision for the rest of the industry too though

L~A

Truth brought to the forefront. Major props, bold investor.

Except Iwata NEVER said he'd resign, just that he'd "take responsibility". It's the (western) press that went in hypermode and wrote he had sworn to resign. Iwata actually had to clarify things several times in the following weeks/months.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Miyamoto said:
To survive in the entertainment industry, it is often the case that everyone tries to follow suit with the strong one. My comment may be at risk of being misinterpreted, but in the digital content field, I think that our creativity is still immature. In the world of comic books and movies, there are people who are challenging themselves to be even more creative than before in creating their content. I believe that we (those who are creating digital content called video games) are still in a transitional period and will eventually step up into the phases where we expand and enrich the substance of our creativity.

I very much like this. And it applies partially to Nintendo too, but this E3 showed that they are trying promote more creativity.

And this about going 3rd party:

Miyamoto said:
Also, some may think it is fair to compete with others on the same hardware platform, but it is always challenging to become the one strong existence among so many companies, and to Nintendo, it is more advantageous to create and propose to consumers a brand new framework that includes hardware as part of the structure. We would like to continuously develop something unique by not abandoning this strength of our company. I ask for your continued support.

Takahashi:

Please allow me to tell you about how we are responding to the advancement and penetration of smart devices. We have provided unique entertainment experiences using dedicated handheld devices and TV monitors at home in the field of video games. We will also actively utilize the smart devices that are now a part of people’s daily lives. More specifically, we are currently developing an application for smart devices. Through such an application, we would like to connect with many consumers around the world, including those who do not own Nintendo’s video game systems, and communicate the value of our entertainment offerings.

Very interested to hear more about this 'application' they're working on for smart devices. The singular way in which they refer to it suggests to me that rather than just fobbing off old NES and SNES games onto smartphones, they've got an idea for a piece of software that will tie smartphones and tablets in with their dedicated hardware in some way. I also can't help but wonder if it's related to QOL in someway. Rather than releasing QOL as another piece of dedicated hardware, it could in fact be part of this new smartphone application they're discussing? Smartphones are non-wearable, after all...

EDIT Reading some more, I also found this:

Takeda:

Let me add some comments. Nintendo is in the entertainment business; our products are not daily necessities. Therefore, we have experienced many ups and downs so far, but we have also provided a lot of surprises to the world. The hardware-software integrated platform business, as we always mention, specifically means that we integrate software technology, hardware technology, ideas, art, music, graphics and even elements of psychology to produce our entertainment products. Thus, even though we stated that Nintendo is going to attempt to improve people’s health, we do not intend for consumers to just become healthy but aim to improve their health in enjoyable ways, which we believe, is another kind of entertainment. Please understand that we are not aiming to become a health device company (as you worry).

Again, this suggests to me that QOL isn't going to be a dedicated health device, but something that supplements their other systems. I could be completely wrong, but after reading this, I would be surprised if QOL doesn't tie into their plans for smartphones somehow.

massoluk

Banned
Takahashi:

Regarding your question on the lateness of Wii U titles for advanced game players, you are absolutely correct. However, at E3 this year, we announced “Xenoblade Chronicles X,” which is being developed under Mr. Tetsuya Takahashi from MONOLITH SOFTWARE INC. I hope you will think of this game as one in the “Xenoblade” series, not a sequel to “Xenoblade” for Wii. We are planning to announce details of this software’s content through various channels.

Oh, so not a sequel? A Xeno series within Xeno series? :p

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Very interested to hear more about this 'application' they're working on for smart devices. The singular way in which they refer to it suggests to me that rather than just fobbing off old NES and SNES games onto smartphones, they've got an idea for a piece of software that will tie smartphones and tablets in with their dedicated hardware in some way. I also can't help but wonder if it's related to QOL in someway. Rather than releasing QOL as another piece of dedicated hardware, it could in fact be part of this new smartphone application they're discussing? Smartphones are non-wearable, after all...

I wonder if this is not somehow something built around Miiverse and somehow similar with the Spotpass that proved to be so popular on 3ds.

Edit: done reading everything, it was actually more interesting than the tweets made it seem.

RiggyRob

I wonder if this is not somehow something built around Miiverse and somehow similar with the Spotpass that proved to be so popular on 3ds.

Edit: done reading everything, it was actually more interesting than the tweets made it seem.

I'm not sure, the phrase 'including those who do not own Nintendo’s video game systems' would imply it wouldn't be Miiverse since that's specific to Wii U and 3DS. Who knows though?

Still waiting on that web eShop, mind.

Top Bottom