• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America's dev support attempting to reach out to Toby Fox? (Undertale)

Dunkley

more toby tweets

Ooops, i cropped wrong. It goes top, bottom, middle for order.
5d1OKh5.png

I was kinda wondering if any of the Big 3 approached him about the project only for him to tell them he can't because he knows jack shit about actual programming languages.

bman94

Another sequel to "They Stole Our Games" or is Undertale not big enough???

It's not as big as Bayonetta of course but it's definitely a cult classic. I've heard so much about the game from "Game of the Year" lists and I hadn't heard about the game until this past December. At the very least Nintendo should try to get a port of the game on Wii U or 3DS.

Do you think there would be more or less salt than the Bayonetta 2 reveal?

Less, since a lot of people compare Undertale to the Earthbound series so I guess it would be a more natural fit. Bayonetta was a very out there game for Nintendo and its usual demographic.

Jerry increases all loading times by 5 seconds. He will complain for 5 seconds (uninterruptible) about not being selected in the Character Select screen if nobody chooses him (and the loading time to transition to the stage select screen will still be 5 seconds longer)

Jerry re-enables random tripping.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
so, I willa dmit it: I don't even know the game. why is this so "buzzed"? is it a very good game? and there is anything special about Nintendo "trying" to get the game? would it be a console exclusive?
sorry for my ignorance

Ekai

so, I willa dmit it: I don't even know the game. why is this so "buzzed"? is it a very good game? and there is anything special about Nintendo "trying" to get the game? would it be a console exclusive?
sorry for my ignorance

It's many people's personal Game of The Year last year (it's mine that's for sure) and was on numerous GOTY lists in publications as well. It's a short (like 6 to 10 hours max? depending on if you go for the True Ending or even other endings or not), charming and fun indie rpg that plays with rpg conventions in ways that haven't really been seen in gaming. For some it does all the right things to be a unique and refreshing breath of air in gaming in general.

It also sold like the 12th most copies of any game last year on Steam (despite releasing so late into the year) but due to it's price isn't on the list for most money made. It still made the dev quite a bit of moolah however.

It's a game also, due to a few things it does, that would be difficult to port. But it'd be interesting to see how it could be done. So far it's just a PC game made in Game Maker. Very inexpensive and you can easily get it on Steam or Humblebundle for like 10 dollars.

If you want to see more of what it's all about and ways in which it is unique, I would suggest watching Tietuesday's video's of him playing the demo. He shows off all of the depth that even just the demo contains over the course of a few videos. Plus toby, the dev, even stops by briefly. Tie does suggest playing the demo first before watching his video on the demo so, try it if you want.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
sorry for my ignorance

I haven't played it myself, but from what I gather it's a RPG that mixes up the usual conventions and apparently has a bunch of likable characters.

sorry for my ignorance

Because people have an attraction to skeletons.

Fireblend

Banned
sorry for my ignorance

It's a really good RPG that subverts tropes in the genre in unexpected, cool ways. The execution is great, the characters are quirky and likable both visually and in terms of dialogue, it has cool "meta" moments that relate to its save system and how doing multiple playthroughs works, it has an excellent soundtrack, and it's short and tightly packed enough that it doesn't overstay its welcome. It's not hard to see how it's obtained a sizable following.

Forkball

sorry for my ignorance
It's a great and very unique game with a lot of inspiration from Earthbound. It's a huge hit on PC with zero marketing, so it's easy to assume that whoever can get it on consoles first stands to make a lot of money.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It seems all he has to do is hire some experienced programmers which shouldn't be too troublesome

Atrarock

Seriously. With real Game Maker support that would open up so many opportunities for indie devs to release on Wii U. Unity coming to n3DS was a great thing as well. More engines will just mean more games!
I wonder if AM2R can possibly be a thing on the Wii U or even the NX if game maker support really becomes a thing.....then again I want AM2R to live long enough to be completed on it's own before anything CAN happen.

Yea. Undertale isn't really a highly demanding game. It should most likely run.

I'm used to thinking that my computer can't run a damned thing, but it seems that it can run some indie titles -- even newer stuff. I just kind of forget that fact.

I'd assume that if you're able to run the demo, your machine can most likely run the actual game.
Might be a good way to check.

Didn't know there was one. Thanks.

Though the demo isn't a good indicator of the final game's quality (it's old an unrefined), and it was made in a much shittier version of GM, with the final game running much better than the demo, just an FYI.

RedToad64

I wonder if this has something to do with the supposed Mother 3 localization. Perhaps Nintendo wants him to be the head writer, giving the game an entirely different feel to distance itself from the fan translation?

Acerac

Banned
I wish everyone could play undertale so we could all collectively get over undertale

While I'm not sure that getting more people to play the game will reduce how much it's talked about, I'm all for whatever gets more people to try out Undertale.

WolvenOne

Would be interested in seeing this on consoles, Nintendo machines or whatnot. Sounds like the game would need to be recreated in a new engine though, or heavily modified or whatnot.

Won't get into it too much though, still on my first playthrough and I don't want to hang out here too long and get too much spoiled for me. Just got to Asgore last night, for context.

Jazz573

I'd personally be okay with the force quitting being removed completely. I actually found it incredibly obnoxious. Would have been better to just quit to the menu.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Thanks to all the users that replied to my honest question. Now I will look for it to come (dont play on pc)

Het_Nkik

What other indie port houses are there other than Nicalis? It seems crazy that they still get work after a bunch of bad ports if there are better alternatives.

MP2 Games has done/is currently working on:

Freedom Planet, Noitu Love 2, The Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures, and Heart Forth Alicia among others.

http://mp2.dk/

@MUWANdo

Banned
does that mean it's happening?

It probably means someone at NOA told him to delete it.

MP2 Games has done/is currently working on:

Freedom Planet, Noitu Love 2, The Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures, and Heart Forth Alicia among others.

http://mp2.dk/

MP2 deals specifically with games made using Multimedia Fusion/Clickteam Fusion, another beginner-friendly engine that's arguably even less console-friendly than GM.

Top Bottom