• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America's dev support attempting to reach out to Toby Fox? (Undertale)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
That was completely uncalled for I blame Nintendo for not talking about the NX. Nintendo fans are on edge right now.

...for a virtual console title? Nintendo are so pathetic.

I understand her concern and I don't think anyone is getting fired over revealing Mother 3 on virtual console. It's not like she leaked something relevant....you know.....NX related.

Its still an NDA. You are ignorant and have no idea how things work, so best that you stay quiet.

Nanashrew

Banned
That was completely uncalled for I blame Nintendo for not talking about the NX. Nintendo fans are on edge right now.

I understand her concern and I don't think anyone is getting fired over revealing Mother 3 on virtual console. It's not like she leaked something relevant....you know.....NX related.

I think there was a build up coming and not really just NX related or anything. Before she left she also had a mini rant and called out a person of some site for being a terrible writer and stuff too.

I don't blame her though. She gets a lot of flak and a lot of names flung at her for a lot of things like being excited, or just whatever.

Ekai

It was inevitable that one of the big three would reach out to get Undertale. Just a little surprised its Nintendo.

Ninty makes the most sense really. The Microsoft and Sony brands don't tend to approach the aesthetics that UT has.

Whichever companie's games you like (Game Arts ....If they'd still make games I guess) would be pissed too if their internal projects got leaked nilly willy.

There is nothing pathetic about upholding internal NDAs.

I personally don't care all that much if Undertale comes to Wii U. There's already a way of playing it at home. I'd much rather it came to 3DS. Portable Undertale would be incredible, and the 3DS has a much bigger userbase, so more people would get to play it.

Obviously, both would be ideal though.

Pokemaniac

Is it really impossible to
crash or force quit a Wii U/3DS software
though? I'm sure they can work around it. Mettaton's essay could be replaced by a drawing made with the touch screen.

A few easter eggs would inevitably be lost, like
Gaster

(If it's about Undertale.)

There are Wii U games with
have quit buttons.
If you can do it with a button, you can definitely do what Undertale does.

Of course, doing that would probably violate certification requirements, but I'm sure they can work something out.

The force-quit moments could be adapted into something else, but I'm more concerned about all the secret autosaving to make the deja vu stuff work. All the consoles require games to notify you somehow whenever they're writing data.

You sure about that? There are a ton of Nintendo games where
I'm pretty sure I've never seen an explicit save notification.

Jackano

I know, I just think it's very weird for Nintendo to try to reach an indie dev directly via Twitter so openly.
Not to me. Sounds very much like what is left of Dan Adelman's former team would do to reach out developers, with their limited resources.
I don't want to be too harsh, but you can't be surprised on how cheap Nintendo can be in his developers relationships.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I think there was a build up coming and not really just NX related or anything. Before she left she also had a mini rant and called out a person of some site for being a terrible writer and stuff too.

I don't blame her though. She gets a lot of flak and a lot of names flung at her for a lot of things like being excited, or just whatever.

She's announced she's quitting journalism/writing/social media a zillion times already. It never sticks.

DNAbro

Toby just tweeted about it

5gELs8W.png

A lot of Game Maker/Multimedia Fusion games that get at least a modest success tend to be outright reprogrammed or ported in some fashion. The latter is hilariously outdated and the former is known for ridiculous performance issues at times.

It'll certainly end up being more playable than a Nicalis game, he's right to give it a shot.

So long as he doesn't get nicalis involved, we're OK.

I don't really understand how nicalis keeps signing big name Indies when nigh on everything they've ever released has had at least one game breaking buf that takes months to get fixed, if it ever does.

I really want to play this so I hope it ends up on some console somewhere. I have the demo sitting unopened on my laptop and I just can't bring myself to play it on a laptop.

Well, i wanted to post "Nintendo should hit him up with a devkit and an Unity license" ... but reading the tweet about not knowing any programming languages ... he made the whole game without any coding?

Nothing makes one feel as good as the sentence "Even people who can't code can make games and do that better than you"! ^^

E: Yeah, anyone but Nicalis!

Somnid

I thought Game Maker could export to web? From what I've seen of Undertale it doesn't look like it would need anymore than that.

Yeah, someone better tell him to avoid Nicalis like the plague.

Well, i wanted to post "Nintendo should hit him up with a devkit and an Unity license" ... but reading the tweet about not knowing any programming languages ... he made the whole game without any coding?

Nothing makes one feel as good as the sentence "Even people who can't code can make games and do that better than you"! ^^

Actually, he meant he doesn't know any actual programming languages. Game Maker's scripting language doesn't count as one of those.

DNAbro

What other indie port houses are there other than Nicalis? It seems crazy that they still get work after a bunch of bad ports if there are better alternatives.

Yup. Interviews with IGN had Toby saying he'd love to have his game on a Nintendo platform but GM wouldn't be compatible. So seems like he'd be eager to involve himself if a solution presented itself.

DrArchon

Could be a sign that Nintendo plans to make it so that Gamemaker based indies will have an easier time getting ported to the NX. Undertale would make for a good flagship for such a plan.

Or Nicalis could port the game and it never sees the light of day.

Makonero

This would be an excellent project for a few of Nintendo's in-house devs to handle alongside Toby.

Do it, Nintendo.

Could be a sign that Nintendo plans to make it so that Gamemaker based indies will have an easier time getting ported to the NX. Undertale would make for a good flagship for such a plan.

Or Nicalis could port the game and it never sees the light of day.

Seriously. With real Game Maker support that would open up so many opportunities for indie devs to release on Wii U. Unity coming to n3DS was a great thing as well. More engines will just mean more games!

Top Bottom