• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is not praised enough.

GHound

Oh yeah? Well I can't go three minutes on the internet without seeing ten guys that have blown Nintendo.

Cartridges. CARTRIDGES!

BlackTron

Just no…TotK is a literal asset flip that took 6 years to make…If Spider-Man 2 is ‘more of a dlc’ then what the fuck is Mario Wonder? It reuses assets etc from the last 2D Mario, so dont try to gaslight.
And critics are too easy, BotW for instance has some of the most egregiously bad open world mechanics, such as the over 900 Korok seed collectathon, the god knows how many reused shrines etc, the awful weapon degredation that is Dark Souls 2 level bad and something Zelda fans love to gaslight everyone into believing is actually fun and balanced when it actually just ruins the flow of gameplay, but no 10/10 game apparently. And then theres the story, yet ANOTHER rehash of the same old boring Master Sword/Ganon nonsense. But no 10/10.
Im sorry but anybody who disagrees is a moron, Nintendo always gets inflated scores because the base gameplay is ostensibly ‘good’ but Im sorry letting Mario change into a elephant now doesnt suddenly make the new game this perfect, revolutionary game. That low level of change, iteration, that safe entry to any other developer would be a 7/10.
I’ll clarify that games dont need to make sweeping changes and being fun ‘IS’ enough, but dont pretend like Nintendo is this consistently iterating entity throwing out perfection each time, they aren’t.

People who review games without playing the game always make such an ass of themselves.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Gast de tering
the naked gun facepalm GIF

Last edited:

keefged4

All 3 of them are not your friends. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo dont give af about you. They only care about your money. Nintendo being the worst out the three.

Nintendo can charge full price for their games YEARS after release because they are unrivaled. No other publisher can do that.

They have the evergreen (pre-woke) Disney factor. Parents pass down their love and nostalgia to their kids. I've been to a few trunk or treats with my daughter already and half the young kids are in Mario/Pokemon costumes. I haven't seen that since I was a kid. And their hardware was always cutting edge until the Wii, so God help the rest of the industry if the Switch 2 is really a portable PS4/Pro. Imagine having MK9, Smash 4, CoD, GTA, etc all on one portable...

WILLICKERS.

And they've still got Miyamoto and his original goon squad overseeing projects. Magical shit.

Sorry I'm a lil drunk right now and rambling but I love Nintendo and will fight anyone who disagrees IRL.

BlackTron

Mhmm because being critical of poor design choices in BotW makes me a ass…Disprove my points or jog on…

I actually agree with a portion of your BOTW complaints. But you just made an ass of yourself again by pretending that was the only message in that post! The very best part is "don't gaslight" after saying that Mario Wonder reuses assets. LOL!

Woopah

Don't think I agree. They are rightfully praised for the things they are great at, and rightfully criticised for the things they are terrible at.

Just no…TotK is a literal asset flip that took 6 years to make…If Spider-Man 2 is ‘more of a dlc’ then what the fuck is Mario Wonder? It reuses assets etc from the last 2D Mario, so dont try to gaslight.
And critics are too easy, BotW for instance has some of the most egregiously bad open world mechanics, such as the over 900 Korok seed collectathon, the god knows how many reused shrines etc, the awful weapon degredation that is Dark Souls 2 level bad and something Zelda fans love to gaslight everyone into believing is actually fun and balanced when it actually just ruins the flow of gameplay, but no 10/10 game apparently. And then theres the story, yet ANOTHER rehash of the same old boring Master Sword/Ganon nonsense. But no 10/10.
Im sorry but anybody who disagrees is a moron, Nintendo always gets inflated scores because the base gameplay is ostensibly ‘good’ but Im sorry letting Mario change into a elephant now doesnt suddenly make the new game this perfect, revolutionary game. That low level of change, iteration, that safe entry to any other developer would be a 7/10.
I’ll clarify that games dont need to make sweeping changes and being fun ‘IS’ enough, but dont pretend like Nintendo is this consistently iterating entity throwing out perfection each time, they aren’t.
Which assets does Wonder reuse? The vast majority of the assets are new.

BlackTron

Which assets does Wonder reuse? The vast majority of the assets are new.
I don't even think there is a single reused asset because it has a completely new art and animation style.

He would know this if he played the game, in fact he would know all his assertions are false, like the assumption that it's the same type of Mario game we've had just with elephants. People really don't know how obvious it is they haven't played it when they say things like this, or TOTK is "literally" an asset swap, comedy Gold

Rockondevil

They get the appropriate amount of praise.
They make great first party games and people love them.
Everything else isn’t worthy.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I wouldn't mind Nintendo so much if it wasn't for all the obsessive 40 year old fans who exhibit this fanatical behavior over games that are aimed at children. You guys are the reason why I get weirded out by this entire brand, lol.

And for context, the only Nintendo game that I ever played as a kid was Super Mario on Game Boy, but then I grew out of that shit when I got a PC.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I wouldn't mind Nintendo so much if it wasn't for all the obsessive 40 year old fans who exhibit this fanatical behavior over games that are aimed at children. You guys are the reason why I get weirded out by this entire brand, lol.

And for context, the only Nintendo game that I ever played as a kid was Super Mario on Game Boy, but then I grew out of that shit when I got a PC.
I dont understand the logic, so people only should play "M" rated game when they become older? Thats fucking stupid.

We play games one reason and one reason only......because they are fun and you may think its "immature" Nintendo games are fun, it doesn't matter if they are rated "E" or not.

Also Nintendo game bring the "kid" in me and I like that, I dont see anything wrong with that.

Last edited:
Wow. Coming into this thread after the Sony thread criticizing the closing of their Japanese studios + expansion of GaaS projects and I thought there really would be just a little more appreciation here.

I have seen quite a few threads claiming that critics go too easy on Nintendo and don't review their games to the same standard as its competitors.
I think the opposite is true. I think we are too lenient on Microsoft and Sony. I have been playing the Series X and the PS5 solely for the last couple of months but I have just gone out and purchased Mario Wonder and it was like a slap to the face. Not does the game look really good, not just good for a switch game but good period. Not only that, but you can go and buy the game physically and without a single update and any installation you can just get straight to playing the the game in about 2 minutes on mobile hardware from 2015. When was the last you could do that. You could play this game in 30 years and it will be just as great as it doesn't need an update. One day we will be stuck with the Launch code of Forbidden West with all the bugs and the really bad performance mode.
I have been enjoying Spider Man 2 but it is more of a DLC than Tears if the Kingdom is. I remember the accusations that TOTK is glorified DLC because it reuses the same map so what is Spider Man 2 then....I see the opposite being true.
Spit Take GIF

They're carrying the entire industry on their shoulders

Without Nintendo, all we would have are cinematic games.

Yep none of the First Party games from Sony and Microsoft Interest me at all. This generation when it comes to PS5 and XSX does not interest me in the slightest. I game mostly on Switch/PC. Since most Third parties comes to Steam eventually, I just play that version

I hope Switch 2 specs are 2012 just for the salt and I hope it sells 190 million in its lifetime

Last edited:
I dont understand the logic, so people only should play "M" rated game when they become older? Thats fucking stupid.

We play games one reason and one reason only......because they are fun and you may think its "immature" Nintendo games are fun, it doesn't matter if they are rated "E" or not.

Also Nintendo game bring the "kid" in me and I like that, I dont see anything wrong with that.

All those hater post always come off as

Sad Outer Space GIF by NASA

Drizzlehell

Banned

You can enjoy whatever you want at any age, I don't really care. But what I'm talking about is not simply about enjoying things. I'm nostalgic about a lot of stuff myself but there's also a certain threshold of investment that I usually don't cross because it would just make me feel stupid. I don't wanna sound like some wise old sage or whatever because I'm not, but I do feel like my current interests are at least age-appropriate for a person in their mid-thirties.

I just find it strange that some people seem to be so far entrenched in their childhood nostalgia that they don't seem to have anything else going on that would engage their brains in a way that's more stimulating.

For example, I remember this one guy that I once knew who would get visibly angry if I would merely ask him why he's still so obsessed with pokemons. He was almost ready to put his hands up because someone suggested that these are games for kids and it's kinda silly for an adult to be so invested in it. That's the kind of obsession I'm talking about, and Nintendo has a way of attracting people like that.

Last edited:

Edmund

Nintendo fans are like that little dog that runs up to you and humps your leg non stop. They will chase you around the house and won't leave you alone until they've told you how great Nintendo games are.

Kataploom

Gold Member

Didn't you know? If you're not watching titties, blood and listening to F-bombs each time the anger protagonist talks you're a immature child, ha ha! Everyone will laugh at you at school!

No, seriously, these people reminds of the 360 era when everyone fucking teenager thought they were some kind of chosen one because they played rated M games lol

A disengenous shitposter trying make a "nintendo is the victim" thread? I'm sure this will go well.
Why would it bother you?

Danjin44

You can enjoy whatever you want at any age, I don't really care. But what I'm talking about is not simply about enjoying things. I'm nostalgic about a lot of stuff myself but there's also a certain threshold of investment that I usually don't cross because it would just make me feel stupid. I don't wanna sound like some wise old sage or whatever because I'm not, but I do feel like my current interests are at least age-appropriate for a person in their mid-thirties.

I just find it strange that some people seem to be so far entrenched in their childhood nostalgia that they don't seem to have anything else going on that would engage their brains in a way that's more stimulating.

For example, I remember this one guy that I once knew who would get visibly angry if I would merely ask him why he's still so obsessed with pokemons. He was almost ready to put his hands up because someone suggested that these are games for kids and it's kinda silly for an adult to be so invested in it. That's the kind of obsession I'm talking about, and Nintendo has a way of attracting people like that.
Simply assumed people enjoy Mario and Zelda because of “nostalgic” and can’t accept the fact they are people who enjoy those games because they simply find it fun.

I’m at that age I no longer. Are think of me as “mature” or not I simply play what I want to play.

Zannegan

I don't agree. Nintendo's best games are excellent, but they get plenty of recognition for them.
I can see his point if we're talking about message boards, where some fanboys come to air extreme opinions and handwave away the good in anything that isn't exclusive to their favorite bit of plastic. In the world at large though, I 100% agree with you. Nintendo games are recognized with both sales and review scores. What more does a fan want, universal adoration?

Grow up. Before it's too late. There are more and better games out there than Mario and Zelda.
Time is of the essence! If they don't stop liking what they like and start liking what you like, they'll never reach their true potential.

It's not as if the OP (hyperbolic as he is) didn't outright state that he's been playing almost exclusively on other consoles of late. It's pretty narrow-minded to assume that because he's a fan of Nintendo's work he hasn't had exposure to or enjoyed other games.

SiahWester

Nintendo in my view has made more misses then home runs as of late. The only reason they have remained relevant to me is because of Zelda, 3D Mario, and Animal Crossing.

This might just be me, but I wasn't a fan of Odyssey (they tried hyping it like it was gonna be like Sunshine but it wasn't), but I really enjoyed BOTW. After 100 hours you see just how barren BOTW is though. TOTK was a better game, but it was the very first Zelda game I didn't care to beat because it recycled way too much from BOTW and got stale because of it. Animal Crossing was a colossal letdown. The dialouge/personality of past games were thrown out and it just became a little Minecraft clone.

I could complain about them getting rid of the virtual console, lack of Switch themes, bad online, etc, but I've only cared for Zelda, Mario, and Animal Crossing. I'm a simple guy.

Well when they don't knock it out of the park with their IPs they've pretty much lost me. Nintendo is just boring now. There are better experiences out there. I don't have any interest in them anymore. They got me into gaming in 1996 with the N64, but they're a shadow of what they were.

I like 2D Mario but I just don't see it as being worthy of any kind of hype...

The only gaming companies doing the right things are Valve, Meta, and indie studios imo. While I'm not fond of Meta they are the only ones really putting in the serious money and effort to make VR gaming a reality. Valve is just an amazing company all the way around. Super consumer focused, but its a damn shame they don't make more games. When they do make games they're always the best of the best though.

... And indies, I could name so many studios, but they are the ones making all the worthwhile and innovatove software. Thank God we live in a world where regular people can make games.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Simply assumed people enjoy Mario and Zelda because of “nostalgic” and can’t accept the fact they are people who enjoy those games because they simply find it fun.

I’m at that age I no longer. Are think of me as “mature” or not I simply play what I want to play.
Maybe there are, but there sure are a lot of zealots too, who expect people to lick Nintendo's ass for merely existing. As evidenced by this very thread.

Danjin44

Maybe there are, but there sure are a lot of zealots too, who expect people to lick Nintendo's ass for merely existing. As evidenced by this very thread.
As if people don’t do the same with Sony and Microsoft, especially the way people here obsess over CEOs. That just internet.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

As if people don’t do the same with Sony and Microsoft, especially the way people here obsess over CEOs. That just internet.
Bit hard to keep that up with microsoft as of late tho. Even sony has been faltering a lot lately albeit not to the same degree as MS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom