• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is closing its subscription service for Switch repairs

Draugoth

Gold Member
oled-model-photo-03-1280x720.jpg

Nintendo is closing its subscription service for Switch repairs in Japan after just a year.

Priced at 200 yen per month ($1.50/£1.20) or 2,000 yen per year ($15/£12), Wide Care launched last summer billed as “a flat-rate repair warranty service that can be subscribed to at any time”.

However, as spotted by Perfectly Nintendo, the platform holder will no longer be accepting new subscriptions or contract renewals from August 31, 2023.

Products covered by Wide Care include Switch and Switch Lite consoles, Joy-Con controllers, the Switch dock and AC adapters.

In addition to natural breakdowns, water damage and accidental damage are covered.

Nintendo never announced plans to launch the service outside of Japan.

Source

Deft Beck

How often do people break their Switches in Japan? Must've not been very lucrative even in the domestic market if they shut it down.

blacktout

replacing all those joycon analog sticks mustve been costing them a fortune

I could be wrong, but I think Nintendo is still doing free repairs for drifting joycons in Japan just like they are in North America, subscription service or no subscription service. They weren't in Europe for a while, but I think they eventually gave in there too.

That said, you're definitely right about it costing Nintendo a fortune. I wouldn't be shocked if drift is the costliest video game hardware malfunction since Red Ring of Death.

cireza

replacing all those joycon analog sticks mustve been costing them a fortune
Hopefully it will have cost them the same fortune they made selling these shitty joycons several times to the same people.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

Seriously, Nintendo lost a lot of face with the whole Joycon situation.

I hope they feel ashamed!

They could make up for it in 2 ways:

Firstly, apologising to ALL of their fans worldwide (preferably in a dedicated apology direct)

89.gif

Secondly - and that's the most important part - by actually manufacturing quality-made controllers with good components for their next console, the Switch 2.

Top Bottom