• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has officially made more profits with Nintendo Switch(2017-2020) than Sony Gaming division with Playstation 4(2013-2020)

Point is dumb as Demon's Souls PS5 is greatly better in audio and video than the PS3 version.

Nintendo re-releases are lazy piss poor ports.
Hell, some of them are not even ports lol like the emulated Super Mario 3D Collection or whatever its name is. Nintendo really does get away with a lot.

On an unrelated note, I'm a huge Fire Emblem: Heroes fan (I play it everyday) and I'm quite surprised to see that mobile doesn't even account for 2% of the total revenue! Surely Nintendo won't be satisfied with this, right?

Last edited:

Business

Only proves how gullible you Nintendo cunts are

npCrmE3.jpg

BootsLoader

Banned
I don’t know for profits and sales etc bull...but there is no way to play games like Ghosts of Tsushima, Death Stranding, TLOU2 and the list goes on. Switch is something my Sister, Gf, mother or anyone can play. It’s accessible and the games are just fun and relaxing, I grew up with Nintendo games and have great memories. But I don’t see a reason to celebrate this.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I don’t know for profits and sales etc bull...but there is no way to play games like Ghosts of Tsushima, Death Stranding, TLOU2 and the list goes on. Switch is something my Sister, Gf, mother or anyone can play. It’s accessible and the games are just fun and relaxing, I grew up with Nintendo games and have great memories. But I don’t see a reason to celebrate this.

These comments do make me laugh. Talking about Death Stranding as if it’s the absolute pinnacle of the industry, it wouldn’t surprise me to find out that you think it’s a ‘deep’ game.

Conversely, there’s no competitive online Sony first party games at all, like Smash or Splatoon. Sony have no open world games that are on the same planet as Breath of the Wild, and no 2D platformers at all (never mind Tropical Freeze, you can play Ori 1&2 as well).

You should probably lend your mum’s Switch sometime and give them a go, instead of only playing 3rd person action adventure games. Maybe she could even borrow your PlayStation and play Knack.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
For games I really care a lot about, I'm with you. For those times when I'm away from home and playing away from home is my only option, I'm glad the Switch exists and does offer mostly complete console experience. Some will suggest laptops and such, but the Switch is very specifically designed for gaming.

I think Nintendo is missing some opportunity in this form factor. Samsung releases new Galaxy phones every year. I'd settle for a half step upgrade every 3 years if they will just do it and learn how to cut older tiers every 6 years so the software can still advance. I don't know why this is basically accomplished with PC and mobile, but the console gaming space is having fits... (see Series S ridicule).
Agree with this, it shouldnt be a big deal. Will be interesting to see if Sony and Microsoft go the same route with Pro models this gen aswell.

As far as Nintendo goes, why would they? Their fans are hoovering up antiquated stuff they put out, so they'll probably take Nvidia's old leftover again in a few years. Rinse and repeat 😁.

Last edited:
Agree with this, it shouldnt be a big deal. Will be interesting to see if Sony and Microsoft go the same route with Pro models this gen aswell.

As far as Nintendo goes, why would they? Their fans are hoovering up antiquated stuff they put out, so they'll probably take Nvidia's old leftover again in a few years. Rinse and repeat 😁.

I paid $500+ last for an FPGA console to play NES cartridges. It was money better spent than on my PS5.

Davey Cakes

All the Wii U ports deserved second lives. The system failed but the games were fantastic. Anyone in Nintendo's position would do the same thing. Plus, while Nintendo haven't pushed a lot of brand new games, they've really propped up indies in the meantime, which has been awesome.

Could they do better? Sure. But, their business sense this generation has been impeccable.

They need to work on that Joy-Con thing though.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
These comments do make me laugh. Talking about Death Stranding as if it’s the absolute pinnacle of the industry, it wouldn’t surprise me to find out that you think it’s a ‘deep’ game.

Conversely, there’s no competitive online Sony first party games at all, like Smash or Splatoon. Sony have no open world games that are on the same planet as Breath of the Wild, and no 2D platformers at all (never mind Tropical Freeze, you can play Ori 1&2 as well).

You should probably lend your mum’s Switch sometime and give them a go, instead of only playing 3rd person action adventure games. Maybe she could even borrow your PlayStation and play Knack.
What’s deep? Pokémon? Animal Crossing? You kidding me?

Conversely, all Sony output is bullshit and Nintendo is gold? Wtf?

I think I said enough, you are not a person who can see both sides of the coin. Have a great week.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Not really something to applaud, as we see Sony invests heavily in first party games, mostly new IP, pushes graphics and Nintendo? cheaps out on basically everything because they want high margins, great for those that like Mario games I guess.

Bodomism

Banned
Not really something to applaud, as we see Sony invests heavily in first party games, mostly new IP, pushes graphics and Nintendo? cheaps out on basically everything because they want high margins, great for those that like Mario games I guess.
Nintendo push gameplay, that's why Nintendo games are the top rated games of the generation with 97 metascore and not playstation exclusive.

I dreamed of being able to play video games in the future on my console and in a handheld one day way back when I got the Super GameBoy. Nintendo made that happen.

StormCell

You're certainly not wrong. In fact, the market is telling us (you and me) that we're basically wrong. Nintendo is obviously at a good price point. The hardware is basically justified by the cost--you might find this controversial, but they obviously chose to prioritize certain features and novelties while keeping it within the $300 price point. I think there's just over $250 in hardware at the time of the system launch, so it is what it is.

I wish that it was a better package, but there is some assumption that they got a good deal on the Tegra X1's, and we can hope that they'll get a similarly good deal again on a newer SoC. FWIW, I do feel like Nvidia has provided Nintendo with good value (including the engineering support for the hardware drivers) even if the X1 is relatively weak compared to home console SoCs.

You might possibly build a more powerful handheld in the same basic form factor as Switch in that $300 price range, but it wouldn't have the HD rumble. I think they paid a bit of a premium price for that, and maybe I wouldn't have but then we see a successor of that feature now in the PS5 controller, iirc.

Some of that antiquated stuff, btw, kicks the shit out of the new stuff. A little over a year ago, I played through and beat Yoshi's island over Christmas while away from home. I hadn't gotten to do that before, but what a masterpiece that game is even today. If only it didn't take them just as long with a BotW sequel as it took them to make the first...

Good on Nintendo. One of the few companies who can just rehash and turn out mediocre and people just have to have it cause you know its Nintendo.

Last edited:

Mozza

When u have the luxury to develop a game like Mario kart 8 and sell two times at full price without any effort and maximun reward its easy to see why

I have a Switch and cant Wait to play all this sexy new next gen games xD
Or sell it twice. ;)

Tschumi

You gotta give credit where it's due. What a product. I'm content to be a vita hipster but really, good for them. I'm really glad to have owned a little step on this route - GameCube - and yeah, long may they reap the benefits. I just hope it leads to jumps in game design and such.

Nintendo's business model is to rely on the strength of their decades old IPs and it works for them

For many Nintendo fans there would be no point buying their consoles if they didn't reply on their old IPs.

I buy them because I want new Zelda, Mario, Kirby, Animal Crossing, Yoshi, Luigi, Star Fox, Donkey Kong, Wario, Mario Kart and Fire Emblem games.

If a console had none of those, and focussed on new IPs, I'd be far less likely to buy it.

Same games. Mixed messages about what it was. The switch appeals to the portable and console Nintendo fan.
each to their own. I’m just not a fan.

There’s no problem not being a fan of what they produce, but the reality is that they can’t just produce mediocrity and get away with it. Until the Wii, they had been declining in console sales each gen. They struck gold with the Wii gimmick and tried to ride it out with the Wii U and failed. The Switch was a new breath of fresh air and is less of a gimmick than the Wii.

Kerotan

you mean the 5 people who bought a WiiU?

This is why folic acid is important during pregnancy folks, otherwise your kids end up posting retard comments on message boards.
Yep the last traditional home console from Nintendo. Sold all of 5 units. It's why they'll never release another again. But even that made them money with it's rip off software prices.

Snake00

This is very impressive from Nintendo. Kudos to them.

I wonder what Sony could do to increase their profits? Some options (none that I'll personally prefer though):
  • Create more MTX games
  • Stop putting their first-party games on big sales so soon, like Nintendo. I don't think HZD Complete Edition or God of War are $10 games even today.
  • Create a handheld device like the Switch
  • Create more mobile games
What do y'all think?

Just because nintendo is doing better does not mean that sony ist doing bad. It's not a zero sum game.

leo-j

We don’t have the Sony profits for last quarter ;) which should be record breaking for PlayStation.

Kumomeme

since day one they announce the console shows that nintendo has clear goal of their bussiness vision

after the wii u failure, they indeed comeback strong.

cosmicom

Banned
Nintendo is destroying playstation in its headquarters; Europe and Japan, and switching it to monopoly of Nintendo. We´ll see if Sony is able to regain something, but I doubt it.

Nintendo is not a competitor to Sony, despite how weird that sounds. They don’t overlap anywhere in terms of demographics and game design. Switch’s main forte is portability just like with many previous Nintendo handhelds that solidified that image. That’s why Vita never took off, that space and mind share is firmly in Nintendo’s hands.

Nintendo is in its own category. They recycle same franchises for thirty years that have widespread recognition but don’t push this medium forward in terms of audiovisual and gameplay mechanics system. They’re closer to Lego than to Sony Interactive Entertainment or Xbox game division.

But if you’re Sony, it can be demoralizing (IDK how could it be not) to see someone with so little effort, minimal workforce and just lazy work outsell you so much when you poured heart and soul working 12 hours a day for years to create something like Uncharted 4, Spiderman, GoW or TLOU 2.
I'm not sure Sony really cares.
The PS4 was hot off the back of the PS3 which was a financial disaster that nearly bankrupted them.

While their gross margin is naturally much smaller than Nintendo, as a result of offering more performance per dollar, I'm pretty they're laughing all the way to the bank with how insanely profitable their division is. And that too with having regular sales/discounts on console hardware and software, which Nintendo can get away with avoiding

Success is not a zero sum game. There is plenty of money to go around.

Keihart

Some people said it wouldn't work, but it clearly did, Nintendo has officially made their portable console ecosystem their home console ecosystem and succeeded at it, this is 2 target audiences merged, something Sony never was able to and tried as well.

Nintendo push gameplay, that's why Nintendo games are the top rated games of the generation with 97 metascore and not playstation exclusive.
In a world where people are allowed different tastes, and Sony has released quite a large number of 95+ metacritic over the last couple of decades, I'm not quite sure what the fuck your point is.

I wish I could say I played my switch a lot, but the simple fact is once I finished Odyssey and the Smash hype died down.... I've not felt the need to use it much. Which is a great shame, cause it was fucking expensive given how terribl the hardware is.

I'm also not really a fan of having to pay day 1 prices for years old games.

But hey, plenty of people love it. So there you go. It's been a huge hit.

But the switch being a huge hit, doesn't make the PS4 any less of a hit, given that it launched at a higher price and under completely different market conditions. There is enough success to go around.

I just hope Nintendo takes a bit of a hit with th margins and ensures it's successor isn't built like a fist full of straw.

In a world where people are allowed different tastes, and Sony has released quite a large number of 95+ metacritic over the last couple of decades, I'm not quite sure what the fuck your point is.

I wish I could say I played my switch a lot, but the simple fact is once I finished Odyssey and the Smash hype died down.... I've not felt the need to use it much. Which is a great shame, cause it was fucking expensive given how terribl the hardware is.

I'm also not really a fan of having to pay day 1 prices for years old games.

But hey, plenty of people love it. So there you go. It's been a huge hit.

But the switch being a huge hit, doesn't make the PS4 any less of a hit, given that it launched at a higher price and under completely different market conditions. There is enough success to go around.

I just hope Nintendo takes a bit of a hit with th margins and ensures it's successor isn't built like a fist full of straw.

I completely agree. My experience is flipped in terms of software that I enjoy. I didn’t really care for anything on the PS3 or PS4 and it was only until I got a Switch that I enjoyed gaming again. There’s a reason why both exist and are successful. There’s demand for their products.

Mister Wolf

2021 will be 2017 all over again with Mario 3D World, BOTW2, new Monolith Soft game(Xenoblade 3?). Wouldn't be surprised if we get a sequel to Mario + Rabbids as well.

Top Bottom