• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has officially made more profits with Nintendo Switch(2017-2020) than Sony Gaming division with Playstation 4(2013-2020)

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Although this thread may deteriorate into console warring nonsense, this is interesting data.

Question is, with record profits, what does Nintendo do next, hardware wise? Is their tendency toward clownish creative risks to be subverted to release another Switch (after the inevitable Switch Pro) or are they doomed to make a system that is strangely, bizarrely quirky and unconventional and alienate their fan base again (Wii U)?

Astral Dog

As 'gamers'/enthusiasts i think this is nothing but good news, Nintendo is healthy, PlayStation is healthy the industry is in good shape, Sony provides an environment were these big cinematic AAA games can thrive, Nintendo does this innovative hybrid concept that is taking over, both Switch and PS4 are successful products without need to compare profit numbers, Nintendo just has always been more savy business wise compared to Sony agressive software/hardware approach

That doesn't mean Sony needs to release an hybrid to compete, or that Nintendo will stay popular forever (like Wii U/GameCube) but companies have their place/strategy and unique strenghts 👍

Although this thread may deteriorate into console warring nonsense, this is interesting data.

Question is, with record profits, what does Nintendo do next, hardware wise? Is their tendency toward clownish creative risks to be subverted to release another Switch (after the inevitable Switch Pro) or are they doomed to make a system that is strangely, bizarrely quirky and unconventional and alienate their fan base again (Wii U)?

I think this is a fair question. Nintendo likes to try and innovate their hardware, but I wonder how often that is more out of trying to fill a void in the marketplace or actually seeking innovation.

They are more interested in profitability to me than pushing new technical boundaries. I think that’s what they have historically done save for the original Gameboy, Virtual Boy, Wii, and Switch. The other releases in between seemed to be more natural progressions out of their previous hardware and the marketplace. I think they played it safe from the SNES to N64 eras, gave into discs for the GCN, and followed a conservative progression for their handhelds.

It seems like the Wii was a big change because they didn’t want to compete in the power race and that the follow up of the Wii U was considered an uninspired marginal jump from a gimmick that lost market interest. I think the Switch fills the need of making games that can be played seamlessly anywhere. However, I do expect them to have to innovate again if remote play on other devices becomes mainstream. I just don’t see that happening quite yet, so I see the Switch successor being more like the SNES to the NES.

How about I continue to post like i normally do and you stop whining

So, you should continue to shitpost to get your lols on the Internet without contributing any value to a discussion?
Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Breath of the wild was godly, liked the idea of mario odyssey also. after that didn't really found much interesting games anymore. Did appriciate the new pokemon tho.

Can't wait for the new zelda that's for sure.

Last edited:

mejin

PS4 era was the best for Sony profits wise. They did amazingly well and Nintendo just did way better.

All I can see there is a huge potential for growth for Playstation.

StormCell

Good for Nintendo. I'm always happy that they are thriving, although this amount of success is usually not the best for gamers just because there is less incentive for Nintendo to fight for our attention, etc. We're not getting great prices on stuff. I'm not going to pretend that the prices on Wii U titles are good, because they're not. But congrats Nintendo!

Now, for all you dorks who can't tolerate a positive Nintendo thread: you guys need to get a life. It's always the same dumb lies when positive Nintendo news appears. You complain that Nintendo doesn't create new IPs and yet we get games like Astral Chain. Their new IPs don't always become mega properties, but there are new IPs out there. Then you complain that they don't do anything to forward the medium, and yet we see them take great risks with a very formulaic IP like Legend of Zelda and pull off the best open world experience since Skyrim. It's just another set of goal posts that will keep moving depending on Nintendo's success.

You don't have to like Nintendo to give them a golf clap. Their success is certainly not necessarily ours. They have problems, and unfortunately those problems aren't really cutting into their profits yet. I agree with some of the criticsm, but a lot of the crap being posted in this thread is 100% fanboy crybaby bullshit.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Post something like ‘Game Pass has 18 million subscribers’ or ‘Nintendo Switch is more profitable than PS4’ on GAF, and it’s a sure-fire way to trigger a certain population of the forum. Like moths to the flame.

Personally, I like it when everyone is succeeding, which they are doing right now. If you don’t like it when everyone is succeeding, get laid.

dcmk7

Banned
I love Nintendo and think the Switch is a very smart bit of hardware.

But this news does shock me a bit, the seemingly endless amount of ports being released on Nintendo Switch, to fill gaps in the year, is just pure laziness.

Just give me some new games Nintendo or some release dates.

Hezekiah

Banned
Nintendo are absolute masters at running a profitable business.
You mean rinsing their fans 😄.

It does mean they'll get rinsed again next time round. I imagine they'll finally get 1080p gaming, and maybe a 2015 CPU in the box, but they don't tend to care and lap it up so it's good for Nintendo's bottom line.

Hezekiah

Banned
This is very impressive from Nintendo. Kudos to them.

I wonder what Sony could do to increase their profits? Some options (none that I'll personally prefer though):
  • Create more MTX games
  • Stop putting their first-party games on big sales so soon, like Nintendo. I don't think HZD Complete Edition or God of War are $10 games even today.
  • Create a handheld device like the Switch
  • Create more mobile games
What do y'all think?
Would you really want that though outside of maybe a separate mobile gaming device?:
  1. Underpowered hardware which is overpriced for what it offers technologically
  2. Games which never go on sale or push the boundaries of what technology offers
  3. Constant remakes/ports of beloved classics
  4. Less third-party support
Say what you what want about PS5 (or Series X) but you're getting cutting-edge tech sold to you at loss.

Nintendo's doing its thing which is working for it and you have the option of buying into it if you want. But do you really want the whole gaming industry going down that route?

StormCell

It does mean they'll get rinsed again next time round. I imagine they'll finally get 1080p gaming, and maybe a 2015 CPU in the box, but they don't tend to care and lap it up so it's good for Nintendo's bottom line.

This just seems so disingenuous the way you put it though. Like, there are best-selling games that run at a stable 1080p. And Tegra X1 literally IS a 2015 SoC, which I originally assumed you were alluding to until I realized you were referring to something more akin to a 2015 Intel chip. To each his own, I guess, but in the Switch's form factor there are certain thermal limitations that are going to be difficult to overcome with passive cooling, and it really doesn't make sense to bash the device at it's $300 price point because I don't see anything else comparable offering better graphics at that price point except stationary boxes.

It's not a compromise everyone is willing to make, but what Switch does for its price is not a rip off. I do wish Nintendo would ask people like me if we would pay $400 or $500 for better hardware, but that's money they leave on the table. Oh well.

Hezekiah

Banned
This just seems so disingenuous the way you put it though. Like, there are best-selling games that run at a stable 1080p. And Tegra X1 literally IS a 2015 SoC, which I originally assumed you were alluding to until I realized you were referring to something more akin to a 2015 Intel chip. To each his own, I guess, but in the Switch's form factor there are certain thermal limitations that are going to be difficult to overcome with passive cooling, and it really doesn't make sense to bash the device at it's $300 price point because I don't see anything else comparable offering better graphics at that price point except stationary boxes.

It's not a compromise everyone is willing to make, but what Switch does for its price is not a rip off. I do wish Nintendo would ask people like me if we would pay $400 or $500 for better hardware, but that's money they leave on the table. Oh well.
I mean I was joking about the 2015 CPU...

But the hardware is trash. I'd take a 2017 equivalent Series S over it any day of the week.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Doesn’t seem surprising. Sony is just a much larger outfit in pretty much every way. Merely maintaining their online infrastructure probably costs as much as Nintendo may spend annually on porting a few games.

Kataploom

Gold Member

But... Tegra X1 is a SoC released in 2015...

StormCell

I mean I was joking about the 2015 CPU...

But the hardware is trash. I'd take a 2017 equivalent Series S over it any day of the week.

For games I really care a lot about, I'm with you. For those times when I'm away from home and playing away from home is my only option, I'm glad the Switch exists and does offer mostly complete console experience. Some will suggest laptops and such, but the Switch is very specifically designed for gaming.

I think Nintendo is missing some opportunity in this form factor. Samsung releases new Galaxy phones every year. I'd settle for a half step upgrade every 3 years if they will just do it and learn how to cut older tiers every 6 years so the software can still advance. I don't know why this is basically accomplished with PC and mobile, but the console gaming space is having fits... (see Series S ridicule).

GetemMa

They've nailed the Switch against all odds and at a crucial time. The Switch has created a whole new generation of young Nintendo customers. In the middle of the WiiU days I had my doubts if they were ever going to right the ship. So many people wrote them off saying the casual audience had be consumed by mobile and those people would never return to consoles. Welp. The casual console market is a real thing that mobile gaming can not satisfy and the Switch proves it. Having half a dozen exclusives that sell over 20 million is phenomenal. Having another half dozen that sell 10 million or close to it is insane. They did this while maintaining the value of software and not resorting to microtransactions. This is why there is no excuse for EA, Take Two, or Ubisoft for anyo other publisher. Microtransactions and lack of polish are about greed, not necessity.

Kokoloko85

Of course that's hyperbole, pretty much what I've been doing as usual. I'm just saying what some people had been raging boners about just from some cutscene trailers, preaching GOTY instantly.

No complaints from me overall, to each their own. I do think that cinematic games are deservedly popular.
Also I've no idea why you're including other different genres Sony FP titles in here.

Ah just thought you were saying thats all Sony FP makes etc. My mistake as alot of people say walking simulators is all WWS makes

Last edited:

FStubbs

For games I really care a lot about, I'm with you. For those times when I'm away from home and playing away from home is my only option, I'm glad the Switch exists and does offer mostly complete console experience. Some will suggest laptops and such, but the Switch is very specifically designed for gaming.

I think Nintendo is missing some opportunity in this form factor. Samsung releases new Galaxy phones every year. I'd settle for a half step upgrade every 3 years if they will just do it and learn how to cut older tiers every 6 years so the software can still advance. I don't know why this is basically accomplished with PC and mobile, but the console gaming space is having fits... (see Series S ridicule).
My Galaxy S3 lasted for 8 years before I replaced it because you don't need more power to run Facebook and instagram. Games are a different beast and people will get confused quickly which year's console runs what.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

That's not a fair comparison. They essentially rebuilt and improved the entire game for a new platform, utilizing everything available on the new platform. It's light years beyond the PS3 original.

On the other hand, most of the Switch ports are barely different from their Wii U originals. Even visually. Nintendo has gone the extra mile for a few, but they're the exception rather than the rule.

Top Bottom